The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:38 AM
SpadeEdge16's Avatar
SpadeEdge16
 
Join Date: May 2012
Gender: Male
Hey guys, I've been hacking my ROM for a few months now, and it's been going pretty well, but lately I've been looking at some videos of other hacks that have been around for a while, and compared to mine, they just seem so much better, but then I thought it might just be a matter of opinion.
So I wanted to know what you guys expect to be in a well done hack. I don't really have much of an opinion myself, just because I haven't been doing this for too long just yet, but I have enjoyed the custom tilesets, and when there are several scripted events that force you to stay in a city until you complete them.
Reply With Quote
  #2    
Old September 7th, 2012, 08:25 AM
itman
Back to ROM hacking. :D
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 20
Nature: Adamant
I don't really "expect" anything but creativity and imagination. I like unique. I can understand how you feel, but remember, everybody does things differently, and also, it's natural to feel a bit...shall we say, selfconscious...of your hack. Everyone does. Just do what you want, and don't worry about what the community is going to think. They'll (for the most part) give you constructive criticism on how to improve, but they'll never be against unique ideas. You can't compare hacks, it just doesn't work, they're all so different.
If you like several scripting events that force you to stay in a city, then go for it. If you like custom tiles, go for it. Make your hack however you want, it's yours, you have complete control over it.
Reply With Quote
  #3    
Old September 7th, 2012, 08:34 AM
RetroRoller's Avatar
RetroRoller
Pop-Punk Pizza Party
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: England
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
You probably know it, but DEFINITELY 100% QUALITY OVER QUANTITY. Any hack is fine in terms of storyline and tiles etc, but if it is rushed (has terrible scripts and mapping), then it's not going to cut it in my opinion.

Also, spelling/grammar errors make bubbles form in the corner of my mouth, they take all attention away from the hack itself and make me think: "Is this going to be fixed?" and kind of ruin gameplay for me. Simple things like: "it's" used when it should be "its" are fine, and understandable

Finally, commitment. Wesley's Light Platinum and Manipulation's Sienna must have taken a good couple of years to make. If people work on a hack for several months and cancel it for reasons like: "cant be bothered anymore" it disappoints me because most of the time they were so good!
__________________
Eat pizza and stay punk rock

I map for the Source SDK and dabble in ROM Hacking hmu.
Reply With Quote
  #4    
Old September 7th, 2012, 11:56 AM
hinkage's Avatar
hinkage
Go make some new disaster
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Age: 19
Just add Fakemon, new tiles, and sprites to Ruby or FireRed and you'll be good.
Reply With Quote
  #5    
Old September 7th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Penta Penguin's Avatar
Penta Penguin
U Boj! U Boj!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North England
Age: 24
Gender:
Nature: Relaxed
Out of other hacks, I expect to see either slight improvements, levels changed, different effects or perhaps new music in the game. As long as it's not something that is considered laziness, then that's fine.

I might consider adding Assembly effects too, but it's not really essential.
__________________

Arkanoid
: The lost levels compact - 40% done
~Youtube~
Reply With Quote
  #6    
Old September 7th, 2012, 02:16 PM
SpadeEdge16's Avatar
SpadeEdge16
 
Join Date: May 2012
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by itman View Post
I don't really "expect" anything but creativity and imagination. I like unique. I can understand how you feel, but remember, everybody does things differently, and also, it's natural to feel a bit...shall we say, selfconscious...of your hack. Everyone does. Just do what you want, and don't worry about what the community is going to think. They'll (for the most part) give you constructive criticism on how to improve, but they'll never be against unique ideas. You can't compare hacks, it just doesn't work, they're all so different.
If you like several scripting events that force you to stay in a city, then go for it. If you like custom tiles, go for it. Make your hack however you want, it's yours, you have complete control over it.
Well, thank you, I'm glad to know there are certain ways to feel about it! For mine, I was changing the maps, somewhat, and giving myself a complete storyline, but after seeing a few demos, I do want to try and make my own tilesets, like just different colors of green for grass, and those see through water tiles make things look so much better. Also, I've thought about making my game a bit more "crowded", because the seems a bit nicer when you're just surrounded by all kinds of different things. My maps have been a bit too clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroRoller View Post
You probably know it, but DEFINITELY 100% QUALITY OVER QUANTITY. Any hack is fine in terms of storyline and tiles etc, but if it is rushed (has terrible scripts and mapping), then it's not going to cut it in my opinion.

Also, spelling/grammar errors make bubbles form in the corner of my mouth, they take all attention away from the hack itself and make me think: "Is this going to be fixed?" and kind of ruin gameplay for me. Simple things like: "it's" used when it should be "its" are fine, and understandable

Finally, commitment. Wesley's Light Platinum and Manipulation's Sienna must have taken a good couple of years to make. If people work on a hack for several months and cancel it for reasons like: "cant be bothered anymore" it disappoints me because most of the time they were so good!
Yeah, I try to make sure there aren't any spelling mistakes in my game, because it drives me crazy too, haha.
See, I made a demo for my game in about a month, after actually learning how to use everything, and I feel like I'm rushing, but I'm actually getting done what I planned, so it's not rushed, but what that is making me realize is that since I am getting it done so fast, there may not be enough in it to keep the player interested, because in my game, the REAL story doesn't start until after the Pokemon League, so I have to keep the player interested by using mini stories until then.
I'm afraid I'll give up on it, which is why I work on it every day, because this is something I've wanted to be able to do since I was a little kid (not hack, but make my own Pokemon game, same difference) so I'm excited to see it completed!

Last edited by SpadeEdge16; September 7th, 2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Reply With Quote
  #7    
Old September 7th, 2012, 06:32 PM
The_Show
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Carracosta Rock, Akmin Region
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
I expect decent gameplay. By that, I mean that I shouldn't have to GRIND my pokemon 10 levels before moving on. However, it shouldn't be too easy either. Plus I like to see new sprites for people, which gives it originality.

Now, if someone is trying to make a game that everyone will fall in love with, I strongly suggest new tiles, a new world map, and a good storyline. Music could also be added for extra effect
Reply With Quote
  #8    
Old September 7th, 2012, 08:18 PM
SpadeEdge16's Avatar
SpadeEdge16
 
Join Date: May 2012
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Show View Post
I expect decent gameplay. By that, I mean that I shouldn't have to GRIND my pokemon 10 levels before moving on. However, it shouldn't be too easy either. Plus I like to see new sprites for people, which gives it originality.

Now, if someone is trying to make a game that everyone will fall in love with, I strongly suggest new tiles, a new world map, and a good storyline. Music could also be added for extra effect
For me, I always make sure the wild pkmn are weaker than you, the trainers are just as strong, and the leaders are always stronger. But if I ever have a time in the game where the player has to grind intensely, I've decided to give them an opportunity to train, like some kind of extra mission where they get something, so it doesn't seem like they're just grinding.

That's the part that leaves me a bit stuck, because my game is a continuation, taking place in the future kanto region, so I'm somewhat limited as far as new maps and region, but I am adding a lot of new features as far as places to go. I am planning another hack of ruby after I finish this FR one, where it'll be completely my own region.
Reply With Quote
  #9    
Old September 9th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Truality
Left for good
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Gender: Male
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Truality Send a message via Skype™ to Truality
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkage View Post
Just add Fakemon, new tiles, and sprites to Ruby or FireRed and you'll be good.
This is a good example of what you should avoid with your own hack; relying on aesthetics only.

But honestly, I don't know what to expect of a good hack. Maybe that's because a well-made hack is one that will surprise me.
__________________
This is my December . . .
Reply With Quote
  #10    
Old September 10th, 2012, 07:30 PM
SpadeEdge16's Avatar
SpadeEdge16
 
Join Date: May 2012
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truality View Post
This is a good example of what you should avoid with your own hack; relying on aesthetics only.

But honestly, I don't know what to expect of a good hack. Maybe that's because a well-made hack is one that will surprise me.
Yeah, I think there's nothing wrong with having those things, but someone can't simply add those to the game and make it good. I have all of that in my game,, well, other than the tiles for now...but I'm also trying very hard to give my story a very nice, surprise ending. Although, people always tend to be smarter than I planned, and can see through any surprises I may have coming, so hopefully this is the one time I do it right, haha.
Reply With Quote
  #11    
Old September 14th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Sark
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Gender: Male
I like simple hacks, like the ones in Sideshow Showcase. Mostly because I'm not too fond of new regions ' It's strange, but I'm like that.
Reply With Quote
  #12    
Old September 15th, 2012, 06:43 AM
thanethane98's Avatar
thanethane98
Self Proclaimed Expert
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Nature: Relaxed
I've come to the conclusion that the things I make aren't as bad as I think they are, I'm really just expecting more out of the hack I'm making than I could possibly do.
__________________
Back and ROM hacking again!
Reply With Quote
  #13    
Old September 17th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Pinta77's Avatar
Pinta77
Swadloon Trainer
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Jose
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Send a message via Skype™ to Pinta77
If an impressive story isnt there, then I excpect fakemon, nice tiles, nice sprites, mew music, or something to get my attention.
__________________

Wonder Trade!!!
Reply With Quote
  #14    
Old September 29th, 2012, 08:09 AM
.parado✗'s Avatar
.parado✗
paranormal user
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ha✗land
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to .parado✗
I think that all games need a Story.
You can be the best Spriter, best Scriper, best Mapper..
Without a good Story I dont enjoy hacks
Reply With Quote
  #15    
Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:31 AM
VoltraK's Avatar
VoltraK
Not Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Goldenrod City
Gender: Male
Nature: Docile
I don't care if there's different tiles or music.

All it needs is a good map, good grammar, an at least an ok story.

As for story, I don't mind if you use the Dark Team/Foil The Plot story, that's fine.

I think 4th/5th gen pokemon in a 3rd gen hack is a great addition, 8ut I think that's only optional.

Fakemon are only accepta8le if they don't look cheesy
__________________

Friend Code Platinum - 0775 4507 1337
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 02:23 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.