The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 25th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Snowdrop
Throw a blanket over it!

Nature: Jolly
Actually, the ONLY Pokemon I don't think looks like a Pokemon is the Klink line. If it were presented to me and I had no prior knowledge of it I wouldn't think it was a Pokemon. It looks like some sort of object in an anime videogame haha.
Old September 17th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdrop View Post
Actually, the ONLY Pokemon I don't think looks like a Pokemon is the Klink line. If it were presented to me and I had no prior knowledge of it I wouldn't think it was a Pokemon. It looks like some sort of object in an anime videogame haha.
Well not only that but it looks kind of uncreative, too. It just seemed like they slapped two Pokemon together, but then again they did that with Magnemite. Actually, Klink could pass for a Pokemon but Klinklang is different from what we've known before, so yeah. ;(
Old September 24th, 2012, 10:19 AM
SoulSilver10112
George the Poliwag

I think they look a bit different than the other Pokemon, but hey- variety is good, right?

Challenges:
Heartgold Nuzlocke: Completed!
Pearl Nuzlocke: Completed!
Heartgold Gender Discrimination Challenge: Completed!
Old September 24th, 2012, 12:08 PM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to MiTjA
I fail to understand how they could possibly look the same without looking the same
Old September 30th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Pinta77
McDonald's Insider
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Pinta77
I agree. Lots of the pokemon look horrible like klink, and that vanilla ice cream one, and the chandulere thingy. In my opinion, polemon are suppossed to look like something that would appear in nature unless there is a logical story behind it (like porygon, mewtwo etc.) and that coffin pokemon is simply in poor taste in my opinion. It's kind of a dark kind of thing to put in a rated E kids game.

That being said, there are still some nice new additions. Sewaddle, swadloon and levanny are a nice addition. So is deerling and the starter pokemon (except the water one). And ducklet and swanna are nice too =)

Wonder Trade!!!
Old September 30th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Hamako-chan
Our unbreakable bond...

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via AIM to Hamako-chan Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Hamako-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Hamako-chan
Some of the Pokemon are indeed hideous and stupid. Did they run out of ideas already or maybe they thought that a bunch of gears stuck together would make a GREAT Pokemon. The ice-cream Pokemon was quite lame too, one form was cute enough but they had to make it evolve into more ice-cream that practically looks the same as the last.

I love Pokemon that are based off animals. Bouffalant (Can't remember how to spell that) and Zebstrika are awesome. Animal-based Pokemon would be more appealing then random items coming to life.

White FC: 2881 2384 3038
Platinum FC: 4082 4798 2423
Old September 30th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Aryan143
The Fennekin Fan!

Nature: Modest
Pokemons are Pokemons. Even some of them look weird, they are pokemon.

Please click both of these links once in a day and help us grow:

Old September 30th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Kranic
What did you say about my hair

It's pretty hard to define what makes a pokemon a pokemon, especially considering a changing art style over ~15 years.
I don't really have a problem with the designs of gen 5 pokemon, just like any generation there are pokemon I'm fond of and pokemon I'm not so fond of. It's just the way things go.
Old September 30th, 2012, 09:26 PM
SoraTheTruth

Nature: Naive
I think ik what you mean how some unova mon look too obvious like the coffin Pokemon unlike something like hitmonlee imo unova was the laziestly designed Pokemon no offense fans
Old October 1st, 2012, 12:46 PM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamako-chan View Post
Some of the Pokemon are indeed hideous and stupid. Did they run out of ideas already or maybe they thought that a bunch of gears stuck together would make a GREAT Pokemon. The ice-cream Pokemon was quite lame too, one form was cute enough but they had to make it evolve into more ice-cream that practically looks the same as the last.
Some of the gen I Pokemon are indeed hideous and stupid. Did they never have ideas to begin with or maybe they thought a bunch of magnets stuck together would make a GREAT Pokemon. The gas-bomb Pokemon was quite lame too, one form was funny enough, but they had to make it evolve into more gas-bombs that practically looks the same as the last.
Old October 1st, 2012, 03:22 PM
Wobbachomp
Donator Tier 1

Nature: Adamant
If it's a Pokemon, then of course it looks like a Pokemon!

Honestly, when 6th gen comes out there will be "Do you think that some of the 6th gen Pokemon don't look like Pokemon?" threads, and people will start thinking 5th gen Pokemon look like Pokemon.
Old October 1st, 2012, 03:27 PM
Ephemeral Euphoria
Warrior Of The Abyss

Nature: Quiet
Personally I gotta say that the Unovan Pokes look like characters from the show Courage The Cowardly Dog tbh.
Old October 1st, 2012, 07:18 PM
siiadams
Got 3DS back...1822-1106-0866

Nature: Quiet
Problem is, there are only so many creatures that can be altered in some way to become Pokemon without copying the previous ones. Eventually, there will come a time when more and more Pokemon will shy away from living creatures to inanimate objects. Personally, I found them more interesting than the "natural" forms. (First gen, Grimer and Muk had my interest longer than about half of the roster.) Maybe if we found more artificial places to catch the artificial Pokemon...(as in, Power Plant from gen I)

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android

Pokemon Training Academy - Shawn Williams (Sting *in box*, Cactuar, Zapper, Shiva, Pyra, Rocky, Crash)
Old October 2nd, 2012, 12:04 AM
The Grubby Pup
Where's mah shiny squeaky ball

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to The Grubby Pup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryan143 View Post
Pokemons are Pokemons. Even some of them look weird, they are pokemon.
This!

Pokemon are Pokemon...and if you ask me, I don't see anythin' with the unova Pokemon design. Unless you're talking about legendaries, then they're suppose/should look more majestic than a regular Pokemon. They're called legendary for a reason.

Pfft...It's not like the unova pokes are wearing clothing and digivolving...whoops, my bad...I kinda went off subject just then. :p
Old October 2nd, 2012, 12:38 AM
zephyr6257
Hi. I'm strange. Kthnxbye. :)

Well, it depends on your perspective. Pokémons are weird creatures, and their weirdness can range widely. Sure there are a bunch of weird Unova Pokémon, but they still classify as Pokémon if:

1) They fit in Pokéballs
2) They battle

And since all Unova Pokémon have those traits, I guess they still pass as Pokémon. Even if it looks a bit weirder than the old generations, it's still Pokémon. .-.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 12:54 AM
SinisterEternity
→ Friends call me SE, or Neo ~
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Calm
Must admit I was utterly shocked by the looks of only the starters at first, but then, I guess once you get used to the new looks, it's okay. And I literally fell in love with Serperior <3

...Well except maybe for Maractus, it looks kindasorta like Palmon ;

Maybe not exactly, but I can't help but think of Palmon when I see Maractus. That might be because I'm a weird person, though ? Baha...:'D

Then again, I'm alright with the designs, they still look decent, not like they designed a trash can and labeled it as a Pokémon. xD

Chit-chatting

A Redtail's Dream
The Super Smash Bros Club

Theme
Looking for
My Deviantart
My FC(s)

Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:38 AM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

geez and Charizard reminds me of Greymon.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:30 AM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Jigglypuff reminds me of Koromon

Weedle and Kunemon

Meowth could pass as a Gatomon.

Digimon and Pokemon use similar styles. They are going to look alike.

Gyarados would make a perfect Champion level Digimon. His design is more advance than most Pokemon but isn't advance enough to go higher than a Champion. All Pokemon fit into the Digimon world, while the reverse isn't true cause there are set standards by fans that would make Ultimate and above and some choice Rookie and Champion forms not fit in well with Pokemon.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 05:49 PM
Forever
let it go

If you guys are going to be comparing Pokemon to Digimon then using Gen 5 examples along with Gen 1 ones would be best otherwise people may possibly just start discussing only if Gen 1 Pokemon look like Digimon (I know the purpose of doing it, just for safety reasons). :( Juuust because people are likely to probably do that!

Also I like the point about fitting in pokeballs and battling, since that's true since it's kinda like don't judge a book by its cover.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:55 PM
SinisterEternity
→ Friends call me SE, or Neo ~
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post

Also I like the point about fitting in pokeballs and battling, since that's true since it's kinda like don't judge a book by its cover.
I agree, too. I think it's just a matter of habit, whenever there is a change, people will not really like it that much at first because they are used to the old/previous stuff, but in the end they eventually accept it, most of them (in that case anyway).

And so, the designs no matter how "weird" they may look to some, are still Pokémons. I mean...So far Gen 1, 2, 3 and 5 are my favourites.
Just as long as a plain baseball ball with nothing special about it, isn't going to be classified "Pokémon", I'm okay. xD

Chit-chatting

A Redtail's Dream
The Super Smash Bros Club

Theme
Looking for
My Deviantart
My FC(s)

Old October 4th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Sverige
#justiceforbionic 11.11.13

The whole Vanillite evo-chain are ridiculous. And in my party.
Old October 6th, 2012, 10:55 AM
KingofCarnage18
Unhatched Egg

Charizard. Typhlosion. Blaziken. Infernape. Emboar.
The quality of pokemon has increased...then decreased through generations. While infernape was still decent... once I saw Emboar. Then I saw Garbadour. Trubbish. Gothita. Vanillish. All these pokemon lack the "creativity" others are saying they embody. Emboar looks like a baby of magmortar and snubull. Trubbish? A Garbage bag with arms and legs? Gothita? A person... seriously its basically a person they decided to make a pokemon. Gale the office goth is angry in the gamefreak building is my guess. Vanillish? Seriously? Its an icecream cone. Beartic is cool but unfortunately I get the vibe hes just and ice version of ursaring. You may defend it all you like but what will next gen be? Winedamill? The windmill pokemon? Cellulord? Cell phone pokemon? Its plain to see whats happening. The hardcore fans, refuse to see the issues. GF is running out of ideas. Out of Imagination. Each generation the amount of worthy pokemon become fewer and fewer. I saw it last gen when rotom turned into a friggin lawn mower.

By purchasing these games you send the message that these flawed designs are ok to create. That wild animals could SOMEHOW be shaped like an inanimate object. You ever see and ice cream cone fight back when you try to eat it?? So facing the flaming and anger Im surely going to recieve. I post this message only saying. Ask more of the products, as the consumer that must pay to recieve them.
Old October 6th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofCarnage18 View Post
The quality of pokemon has increased...then decreased through generations. While infernape was still decent... once I saw Emboar. Then I saw Garbadour. Trubbish. Gothita. Vanillish. All these pokemon lack the "creativity" others are saying they embody. Emboar looks like a baby of magmortar and snubull. Trubbish? A Garbage bag with arms and legs? Gothita? A person... seriously its basically a person they decided to make a pokemon. Gale the office goth is angry in the gamefreak building is my guess. Vanillish? Seriously? Its an icecream cone. Beartic is cool but unfortunately I get the vibe hes just and ice version of ursaring. You may defend it all you like but what will next gen be? Winedamill? The windmill pokemon? Cellulord? Cell phone pokemon? Its plain to see whats happening. The hardcore fans, refuse to see the issues. GF is running out of ideas. Out of Imagination. Each generation the amount of worthy pokemon become fewer and fewer. I saw it last gen when rotom turned into a friggin lawn mower.

By purchasing these games you send the message that these flawed designs are ok to create. That wild animals could SOMEHOW be shaped like an inanimate object. You ever see and ice cream cone fight back when you try to eat it?? So facing the flaming and anger Im surely going to recieve. I post this message only saying. Ask more of the products, as the consumer that must pay to recieve them.
People purchase the games for a variety of reasons and all Pokemon will be in future generations, anyway. So really... you're missing out on great games because the Pokemon aren't Pokemon-enough? Generation one had flaws, too, like Ice Cream cone versus thee magnets stuck together. When you think of it that way, you can complain about the magnets because they're not bears and so on but really, there's no set standard to define what a Pokemon should look like. The first wasn't really perfect, nor was second, third and so on. People can find faults with all generations and if they were reversed they'd feel the same about generation one as they do with generation five now. Even Munna was somewhat hinted to in generation one so by saying they're running out of ideas and coming up with dumb ones, then why else would they take an idea that was either pre-planned or hinted to in generation one? Besides there's already the rumour that all Pokemon designs are planned from the start and if that's true... then if you really did reverse the generations nothing would be different in that the current originals would be disliked because they're not what Unova's Pokemon are like. I hope that made sense. :(
Old October 6th, 2012, 12:40 PM
rizoph
Mime Jr.

Nature: Mild
Though I admit they weren't as good as I'd have wished, it's not like most (I SAID MOST) of us can think of ones that are a terrible lot better. Some (I SAID SOME) of us can't name every single Pokemon yet! They're probably running low on ideas.

Join tsukinohito.com/temp_forum
Old October 6th, 2012, 02:17 PM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofCarnage18 View Post

Not just is your argument flawed from there being the same kind of weird pokemon since gen 1,

but you also have no idea what creativity even means. Look it up.

Sponsored Links