The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 4th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Patchisou Yutohru
falling down
Community Supporter

..no. stop. stop right now. you're embarrassing yourself even more by making me think that you think i can't tell when you're kidding around.

I hate it when people write "/shot" at the end of something. hbu? any words or phrases that people typically use that just make you roll your eyes?
Old October 4th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
I used to do it. All the time actually. I don't do it anymore though; I don't remember the last time I put "/shot" at the end of my sentence.

Though I guess "/brick'd" is pretty much the same thing. Still, I don't use that often and when I do it's only when IMing someone (or rather one person. I don't remember using it on anyone else recently) or on Plurk the latter not being very often if at all. I don't remember the last time I had put it in a post.

As for things that bother me nothing really. I've grown accustomed to most typing quirks probably because chances are I have likely used all of them at least one during my time.

Last edited by Sora; October 4th, 2012 at 11:28 PM. Reason: forgot other question whoops.
Old October 4th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Oryx
CoquettishCat
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
The smilies o3o or :V. Every time someone uses them I ask them outright to explain what it means because it makes them squirm since neither have a real definition, they're just meaningless filler meant to look cutesy.

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old October 5th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Ice Car
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Jolly
This thread is stupid. /thread

But no, seriously, I actually use it a lot though not in a serious manner. I usually just use it when I'm being silly. Like /thread after a stupid comment that has no relevance to the topic whatsoever, or /stupidunfunnycomment or some ****.

You know what annoys me more? Those stupid-ass hashtags, people that constantly use memes as a source of comedy because they clearly lack the creativity to make up their own jokes or come up with their own retorts, and Youtube comments. So much lack of intelligence it's astonishing. Convoluted mess of douchebaggery and general idiocy and immaturity. I've gotten used to it though and reply to stupid comments on a regular basis. Makes me feel superior, but honestly, when I read most comment trees I feel my brain cells slowly offing themselves one-by-one.

Last edited by Ice Car; October 5th, 2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old October 5th, 2012, 01:54 AM
Guillermo
i own a rabbit heh
Community Supporter

Never understood the /shot thing..

Hash tags are the worst though, especially when people overuse them on Instagram, Tumblr and Facebook. Homg #it'slikethey'retryingtoannoyyou #sunsets #icecream #smileyface

| | le deux | | so-so-soulful
Old October 5th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Antemortem
my clique

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
One of my better online friends does it quite often, and I used to be like 'um what are you doing' because it would be like word/shot and I wouldn't understand why he was attempting to substitute said word for the word shot until he explained it to me. n_n; Another one of my friends does it now and it doesn't really bother me because I do something similar sometimes but otherwise it's just another one of those nitpicks that people do on the internet like emoticons, so why should I care?
suggestions and stuff on my profile because i value you lovelies. xo
oras ... cm ... final oras team
Old October 5th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Kura
twitter.com/kuraberrym

Nature: Serious
I hate some abbreviations like "rn" for "right now." So unless you have a crummy phone where it's hard to write texts.. just finish the damn phrase!
Old October 5th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Doppelgänger
Community Supporter

I hate hashtags also. They are so annoying. Dont use them around me.
Old October 5th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Echidna
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
The smilies o3o or :V. Every time someone uses them I ask them outright to explain what it means because it makes them squirm since neither have a real definition, they're just meaningless filler meant to look cutesy.
o3o does have a meaning. The o's are eyes and the '3' is a mouth kissing you. Essentially, it's a face kissing you xD

As for :V, I hate that thing so much too. I've tried countless times to find an explanation for this sorcery, but have failed miserably xD
Same goes for :L. I mean, :| should suffice, why the L? ;_;

Old October 5th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Nature: Careful
[cd=font-family: Nevis] I don't have any problems with typing quirks, unless I don't know what they mean and I have to go look them up on Urban Dictionary or something. Like the term handegg that was brought up in TCTI and I was all confused. xD
I actually use "/brick'd" sometimes at the end of phrases though, so meh.
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

Old October 5th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Are there Oceans in Space?
abc.

Nature: Quirky
I've never seen /shot. :P

I usually have no problems with any phrases. It's when they use all caps that really annoys me.
Old October 5th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Twilight Sky
» s t r a w b e r r y fields ♪

Send a message via AIM to Twilight Sky Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Twilight Sky Send a message via Skype™ to Twilight Sky
Did you make this thread because of me? u__u

Admittedly, I abuse /shot. A lot, actually. And maybe I shouldn't. But it is far too terrible of a habit to break! That being said though, I don't get annoyed with anything people say except YOLO.

Seriously, screw YOLO. u_u

Also ":)"

...It looks sarcastic and extremely rude. XD
Old October 5th, 2012, 09:59 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I use /shot sometimes when I say something sarcastic, even though I abbreviate it as "*shot*" instead.

Old October 5th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric

Nature: Calm
Nope don't really use /shot but I use other things as I'm too used to my MSN emoticons (ya still using MSN instead of skype or whatsapp... lol), like /swt (sweatdrop) or /run (see my running onion avatar!)
Old October 6th, 2012, 12:02 AM
awolfsquared
I wish you a Merry Christmas!! (or CHRIStmas)
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
I don't quite understand the meaning of /shot.

I don't have a big problem with alot phrases , except YOLO and using hashtags outside of twitter. I hate YOLO cause people overuse it and misuse it too.

Here's an example
Spoiler:

Some OC. None of those are actually the real meaning of YOLO.

It's just annoying.

Merry Christmas everyone!
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old October 6th, 2012, 12:37 AM
NightOfRemorse
my anxieties have anxieties

Nature: Lonely
I've used "/shot" a few times before, but I felt weird using it. Every time I wrote that I imagined myself literally getting shot after speaking, and... I don't know, it put me off, ahaha.

Not sure if this counts, but I hate when people tYp3 l!k3 di3 b3cuz 0UcH !T'5 hARd 2 r3aD... Honestly, why? It takes forever just to type that out and decode it! I thought most people preferred to abbreviate things? Make up your damn minds lol. Also, I don't like it when people say "doe" for "though". That's just flat out stupid.

These smilies: o3o , o-o , ^______^

NO.
I stay away
Old October 6th, 2012, 05:46 AM
SinisterEternity
→ Friends call me SE, or Neo ~
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter's Dew View Post
Also ":)"

...It looks sarcastic and extremely rude. XD
^ This. I'm never even sure if the person actually means it, and I get that feeling more often than with any other smiling emote, for some reason !

As for the /shot, I do use it at times, though really not so often at all. But I know people who use stuff like :

"__________ //TRUCK//"
"__________ //BUS//"
"__________ //TRAIN//"
"__________ //PIANO//"
"__________ //WALL//"

...That's really annoying, even though it's mostly french people, but still.
And sometimes what they say isn't even funny enough that they will be....crushed by a...piano ? Rolled over by...a train ?! Ugh...
Then there are those who say "Desu ~", "Kawaiiiiiiiii" abusively etc...

That's about it I think, I'm not 100% sure but yeah. xD

Chit-chatting

A Redtail's Dream
The Super Smash Bros Club

Theme
Looking for
My Deviantart
My FC(s)

Old October 6th, 2012, 05:59 AM
shenanigans
in rainbows

Not really a word or phrase but... when people over-use smilies in posts, especially the ones that mean nothing. If you've got more :) or :p or, God forbid, o3o in your post than you have sentences then we have a problem. One or two every now and then is just about alright but when you're so unable to get your point across that you need to use little pictures every two words to express yourself, we have a problem. It's especially annoying when people add more to the emotes than they really need - stuff like :DDDDD instead of just :D or xD;;;;;;;;; instead of xD. And then there's stuff like owo or ;A;)// or WHATEVER which just makes no sense at all.

Also, hashtags outside of Twitter. Just no. Although I do find "#yolo" funny on occasion.
Old October 6th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Cassino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchisou Yutohru View Post
hbu??
This exact kind of thing.
Old October 6th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

I personally dont find YOLO funny. Usually people say something dumb like " I slept in till noon today because YOLO" It's just dumb, overused and not humorous at all. Hashtags are also kinda pointless, I never got the fascination with those.
Old October 6th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Ephemeral Euphoria
Devil In Exile

Nature: Quiet
For me it's when people use abbreviations such as "smh - shakes my head" more often than what's needed or when smileys are spammed to oblivion and back just because the poster thinks it's cute to be annoying. Too much of anything can become a bad thing you know.

Gotta love the high life.
Old October 6th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Sheep
sheep x steven OTP

Nature: Timid
(I'm guilty of typing "/shot" at the end of my sentences sometimes, though lately I haven't been doing it as often. UU;)

Anyway, I hate the ":V" and ":T" smilies.. a lot. They bother me for some reason so I'd rather never, ever see them. Other than that, I also don't get the point of hashtags. Don't dislike 'em, but don't like them either.

da best | family | my star | twin
club 1 club 2 club 3 LV
Avatar & Signature by Achromatic
Old October 6th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Esper

I don't care for a lot of abbreviations and initialisms, particularly when I don't know what they are. Like "rn." When I first saw that, and for a long time after, I could only think what in the world are people typing just the letter "m" for?

But anything that doesn't make sense when you say it aloud has the potential to bother me.

deviantart blog pair
Old October 6th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Anna
(( and whisper my name as you do it ))
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
I don't usually mind abbreviations/initialisms much if they're just being used in conversation as opposed to more formal writing. Or many smilies. If it aids expression (in the case of the latter) and I know what's meant (in the case of both) then it usually doesn't bother me. I also will occasionally use a stroke followed by a phrase as a sidenote, as if doing a /me command in IRC. But... I don't like excessive tildes, cutesy Japanese (from anyone but especially those just appropriating for no reason), and the smilies :V and :L and anything with = being the eyes. Also YOLO is stupid and overused as a phrase but nice as a concept. And I'm sure if I sat here and thought about it I'd remember more things that I dislike but I really can't be bothered.

Oh and I should say now that yes, I know I've been guilty of using many of what I have mentioned. Only I've grown up a bit and realized it's all pretty annoying.
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Old October 7th, 2012, 04:26 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
Online, I hate the smiley :x

I don't know what it is, I don't know what it's supposed to be and nobody can convince me that it resembles anything.

Offline, I really can't stand the phrase "awkies". If you're so dumb that you can't even say "awkward" then your problems are more than I can fix lol

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links