The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Corner
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Roleplay Corner The realm where writers gather to create glorious tales or silly drama together and chronicle their adventures. Start or join roleplays featuring Pokémon, other franchises or something completely original!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.


Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #5801    
Old September 28th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Dusk's Avatar
Dusk
Fighting to Renew my Past...
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Elysia
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely

Advertise here
You know, all of this debating is really taking notice away from our shameless advertising.
__________________



*
  #5802    
Old September 28th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Skymin's Avatar
Skymin
the gratitude pokémon
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: australia
Age: 21
Nature: Quirky
Alright kids.

The RPOs was a whim of an idea. It wasn't to replace the RPAs altogether, just the Q3 or whichever was June-August because of the Olympics. The RPOs had collaborative events but surprise surprise, though people joined, not actually many people participated.

And now, the Roleplay event is PURELY for the PCX. It's not because we think we don't have enough events. It's for FUN. Also, there are definitely collaborative events for that. Aka the battle event for that.

After all this, we'll be going back with the RPAs, which will take place in November or something, I'll have to re check.

Of course, if anyone has any ideas for events, I'm happy to listen and stuff, as long as youre prepared to organise it. That's what happened with the RPOs. The only thing I did administrative wise for that was create emblems.
__________________
Moderator of the Roleplay Corner <<
my art blogcommission infoCLOUD v2.0<<
Paired with revlis <<
avatar by me <<
  #5803    
Old September 28th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Dusk's Avatar
Dusk
Fighting to Renew my Past...
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Elysia
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
I for one can't wait for the RolePlay Awards to return. As much as I liked the idea of the RPOs I (and possibly others) was unable to gain the extra time required to put forth that effort. The RPAs are a personal preference to me because, to participate, you don't have to do much of anything, other than your regular RP habits.

As for the RPAs, I had an idea. One of the main issues with it is that, statistically, a larger RP might yield more votes as opposed to a smaller one. This is because people often don't pay attention to an RP they aren't involved in, which also includes the characters within those other RPs, and possibly even the RPers themselves.

My thoughts are this: Would it be possible for us to devise some solution to this problem? Something that could give every RP, every character, and every RPer an equal opportunity at earning an award in the RPAs.

__

That said, I nominate Supervegeta as the best RP.
__________________



*
  #5804    
Old September 28th, 2012, 10:16 PM
machomuu's Avatar
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 'Murca
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
I think judging should, thus, be more strict and more criteria based. If there were few enough events, I would suggest that there be a certain number of people allowed to sign up to judge a criteria, and if one is to judge one criteria then they should not be allowed to (possibly excluding the RPO organizers from that rule). I also feel that the judging not be based on age so much as credibility and qualification (in terms of judgement, analytical skills, etc.), as I've seen some incredible RPers of young age on here that, had I not been told of their age, I would have thought they were as old as me, or older. I feel that it's more important that the judges have an acceptable and appropriate basis on which to judge the submissions.
__________________
  #5805    
Old September 28th, 2012, 10:38 PM
SV's Avatar
SV
It was justified
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfOfEve View Post
I for one can't wait for the RolePlay Awards to return. As much as I liked the idea of the RPOs I (and possibly others) was unable to gain the extra time required to put forth that effort. The RPAs are a personal preference to me because, to participate, you don't have to do much of anything, other than your regular RP habits.

As for the RPAs, I had an idea. One of the main issues with it is that, statistically, a larger RP might yield more votes as opposed to a smaller one. This is because people often don't pay attention to an RP they aren't involved in, which also includes the characters within those other RPs, and possibly even the RPers themselves.

My thoughts are this: Would it be possible for us to devise some solution to this problem? Something that could give every RP, every character, and every RPer an equal opportunity at earning an award in the RPAs.

__

That said, I nominate Supervegeta as the best RP.
I do believe that problem has been remedied a while ago when there was a panel of judges created that handle the RPA nomination process. RPA wins are no longer by votes but instead are voted upon by the judges, though nominations are taken into account.
__________________

Paired with the Epic Raikiri
  #5806    
Old September 29th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Dusk's Avatar
Dusk
Fighting to Renew my Past...
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Elysia
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervegeta View Post
I do believe that problem has been remedied a while ago when there was a panel of judges created that handle the RPA nomination process. RPA wins are no longer by votes but instead are voted upon by the judges, though nominations are taken into account.
I wasn't referring to this, though it was a significant improvement.

It's more of the fact that some amazing Roleplays, characters, and players have gone unnoticed. Because no one ever voted for them in the first place, no one bothered to look. Maybe if there were somehow a way to make sure all of these players are accounted for.
__________________



*
  #5807    
Old September 29th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Omega Genesis's Avatar
Omega Genesis
All shall return to dust
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfOfEve View Post
I wasn't referring to this, though it was a significant improvement.

It's more of the fact that some amazing Roleplays, characters, and players have gone unnoticed. Because no one ever voted for them in the first place, no one bothered to look. Maybe if there were somehow a way to make sure all of these players are accounted for.
That's really how Award shows (and the like) work, it's all about nomination, and that stems from appeal. It is that exemplary facet that is really what makes people noticed. I'd say the only time that appeal isn't the cause of nomination is if the member is very well known and well respected, as people tend to have a bias towards them (more often than not, that bias is unconscious). I wouldn't say that things are actually unequal in terms of the being noticed...not completely, as it is exposure that leads to nomination, appeal that leads to exposure, and (most of the time, in the case of RPs) skill that leads to such appeal.

One also becomes more noticed because of how they present themselves. Part of this is in terms of writing, but I am also talking about in terms of how their posts look (this is especially true for RP submission posts, though I'd say it's more important there. For instance, people who use backgrounds in their writing and pretty text colors and fonts are more likely to be recognized than those who, say, use the default font and do nothing else. I'd say that that is a problem, as quite a few people are satisfied with just making ordinary posts with nothing specifically aesthetically unique about it, and I see nothing wrong with that, but it does play a part in that exposure. It is really because of that (and the whole "famous member" bias) that I half agree with you, but I don't know exactly how much can be done on the organizer's part in terms of that (at least, not without alienating members process).
  #5808    
Old September 29th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Skymin's Avatar
Skymin
the gratitude pokémon
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: australia
Age: 21
Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfOfEve View Post
Maybe if there were somehow a way to make sure all of these players are accounted for.
Okay, so what you do is you nominate them.

Easy.
__________________
Moderator of the Roleplay Corner <<
my art blogcommission infoCLOUD v2.0<<
Paired with revlis <<
avatar by me <<
  #5809    
Old September 30th, 2012, 07:37 PM
ShinyDiamond's Avatar
ShinyDiamond
«Dual Wield» User
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Aincrad
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Bashful
This 10th Anniversary, maybe I'll try a different event when it comes up again. These events don't work out for me. I hope the next ones are still great.
__________________

While I'm alive, I won't let any party members die.


Paired for life with Rose Quartz
~Dia+PS~
  #5810    
Old October 1st, 2012, 06:27 AM
Dusk's Avatar
Dusk
Fighting to Renew my Past...
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Elysia
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymin View Post
Okay, so what you do is you nominate them.

Easy.
I think this might be a concern more for the smaller groups. I've noticed that I've met a lot of great RPers that I'd never even heard of before. It just seems to me that a lot of people here go unnoticed.
__________________



*
  #5811    
Old October 2nd, 2012, 02:40 AM
Adventure's Avatar
Adventure
thief . of . light
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sweden
Gender: Male
Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfOfEve View Post
I think this might be a concern more for the smaller groups. I've noticed that I've met a lot of great RPers that I'd never even heard of before. It just seems to me that a lot of people here go unnoticed.
If you come up with a good idea of how they can get the attention you think they deserve, I suggest you talk to Skymin about it. Until then, I think this system is a good thing. As long as the judges don't override the nominations too much and let someone win with only one nomination in a category when someone else had, like, 5.
__________________
moderator of the ROLEPLAY CORNER .
moderator of POKéMON GENERAL .
paired to abnegation .
  #5812    
Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:00 AM
Dusk's Avatar
Dusk
Fighting to Renew my Past...
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Elysia
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers View Post
If you come up with a good idea of how they can get the attention you think they deserve, I suggest you talk to Skymin about it. Until then, I think this system is a good thing.

As long as the judges don't override the nominations too much and let someone win with only one nomination in a category when someone else had, like, 5.
That is my exact reason for bringing it up here. I figured we could all work together to bring up some solution to this issue. I am trying to think of something, but so far the best Idea I'd had was a Nomination Thread, but even then I'm iffy on the idea myself. But the fact is that few people will know of an RP or a player in an RP if said RP is small. For example, a goliath like Pokemon Trainer Academy will probably reel in numerous votes (due to a large group playing) and even a player within will have more votes because more people will know about them. This is compared to, for example, a group with only four or five players. Someone could make something truly amazing with this small RP or make a wonderful character for this small RP. The small group leaves an even smaller chance for the RP itself or a player within to get even a nomination, because a vast majority of RPers won't look around outside of an RP they're already in/running.

5 votes versus one... Though I still believe that a single, well-thought-out vote can trump five votes that don't necessarily prove anything. If anything, I believe that the Judgement Power should actually be increased. So that every potential winner has a fair chance. Just because someone gets a lot of votes does not mean that a single person's vote for someone/something else is insignificant.

Here's another idea: Require a link for every nomination. For example, link to the Roleplay's OOC or to a Character's posts, to actually show their worth. This way the Judges can see what they're voting for.

__

I'd also like to nominate Supervegeta as Godliest Player.
__________________



*
  #5813    
Old October 2nd, 2012, 05:41 PM
Aques Keus's Avatar
Aques Keus
Swaggins
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Cave of Hymns
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Well heres two things to say, the first relates to the current topic, the second is an RP dilemma.
1. Trainer's Academy, Fallout, and Earth and Sky! are pretty big RPs, not counting the many other ones. Then character nominations can be hard since one would have to weed through pages of the forums to find every post (then relevant posts from people they interact with.) Instead why not do by best post, or have people who want to participate post all of their character's interactions in a forum in a certain section or the RP (only one nomination per character)
If you made a new section in the RP for the awards instead of a new Thread everyone could post threads of what they want to nominate along with all the info and it will be easier for judges to read and organize the posts. Additionally when the time comes to delete the threads, you can delete all but the winning one (or three).

2. In my RP I need a way to keep track of money, or even better a store, I'd open a spreadsheet on my computer but it was reformatted a few days ago and it suddenly doesn't sound like a good idea. I was hopping something where one goes in and signs in, is given initial money and I add the amount they earn. Then whenever they click something in the shop, it subtracts from the current money they have. (I know this is a program but maybe some other alternative suggestions, I was going to try ether pad but it is to easy to go in and vandalize.)
__________________
College Bound, Mentally Sound.

Frio & Elise || Jayce & Jayce 2
  #5814    
Old October 3rd, 2012, 04:10 AM
Omega Genesis's Avatar
Omega Genesis
All shall return to dust
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfOfEve View Post
That is my exact reason for bringing it up here. I figured we could all work together to bring up some solution to this issue. I am trying to think of something, but so far the best Idea I'd had was a Nomination Thread, but even then I'm iffy on the idea myself. But the fact is that few people will know of an RP or a player in an RP if said RP is small. For example, a goliath like Pokemon Trainer Academy will probably reel in numerous votes (due to a large group playing) and even a player within will have more votes because more people will know about them. This is compared to, for example, a group with only four or five players. Someone could make something truly amazing with this small RP or make a wonderful character for this small RP. The small group leaves an even smaller chance for the RP itself or a player within to get even a nomination, because a vast majority of RPers won't look around outside of an RP they're already in/running.

5 votes versus one... Though I still believe that a single, well-thought-out vote can trump five votes that don't necessarily prove anything. If anything, I believe that the Judgement Power should actually be increased. So that every potential winner has a fair chance. Just because someone gets a lot of votes does not mean that a single person's vote for someone/something else is insignificant.

Here's another idea: Require a link for every nomination. For example, link to the Roleplay's OOC or to a Character's posts, to actually show their worth. This way the Judges can see what they're voting for.

__

I'd also like to nominate Supervegeta as Godliest Player.
Then advertise people and RPs, that's the only way I can think of that they'll get noticed if not for skill, notability, or reputation.
  #5815    
Old October 3rd, 2012, 09:40 AM
Adventure's Avatar
Adventure
thief . of . light
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sweden
Gender: Male
Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfOfEve View Post
That is my exact reason for bringing it up here. I figured we could all work together to bring up some solution to this issue. I am trying to think of something, but so far the best Idea I'd had was a Nomination Thread
Uh, the current way the RPA works is already by a nomination thread.

And I think the judges can find a RPer or RP pretty easily by just browsing or searching the board.

But I digress. Whatev lol I'm only here to waste time and have some fun.
__________________
moderator of the ROLEPLAY CORNER .
moderator of POKéMON GENERAL .
paired to abnegation .
  #5816    
Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:30 PM
Nimblethumbs's Avatar
Nimblethumbs
my name would look hot in bold
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Holy hell there are no RPs.

Anybody shamelessly advertising their RP?

The one I applied to was a good one but seems dead to me (it's been at least a week since I finished my SU...)
__________________
insert witty quote here
  #5817    
Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:41 PM
Aques Keus's Avatar
Aques Keus
Swaggins
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Cave of Hymns
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Well nimblethumbs, I suppose you could try mine (in my sig) or even Pokemon Fallout (Pokemontrainer yellow) or Pokemon Revolution (Icefyre). I mean there are plenty of them, those are just the three that I'm most active.
__________________
College Bound, Mentally Sound.

Frio & Elise || Jayce & Jayce 2
  #5818    
Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:47 PM
Cadance's Avatar
Cadance
& Shining Armour
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bristol, TN
Gender: Female
Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to Cadance
POKEMON TRAINER ACADEMY

POKEMON TRAINER ACADEMY

There's a few spots left. So go ahead and send in your SU!

Speaking of which, I'm also looking for one to fill up my schedule. I'm in one rn. :|
  #5819    
Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:52 PM
Dusk's Avatar
Dusk
Fighting to Renew my Past...
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Elysia
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimblethumbs View Post
Holy hell there are no RPs.

Anybody shamelessly advertising their RP?

The one I applied to was a good one but seems dead to me (it's been at least a week since I finished my SU...)
Well, I have two currently up, and if you join them, here are the situations:

If you join Sacred Fire/Divine Water, you'll be aiding in the revival of a roleplay about two feudal families of ancient Johto. This RP I had based loosely on the "Pokemon Conquest" theme, so every human is spiritually linked to one Pokemon. This can be very trivial, as you will die if your link dies, faint if it faints, and feel pain when it feels pain. In some cases, but not all, the linked human and Pokemon will have matching personalities, and will often feel the same as their link. These families were once one, and there is tension between them. If this sounds interesting, go ahead and take a look. I based the story around actual Johto Lore from the games, mixed with my own interpretation of what happened.

If you join Zelda: Dimensional Links, you'll be signing up for an original story in which Vaati tears through the dimensions, capturing the wielders of Triforce in each, supplying him with an unlimited source of power. The players must form a group while in hiding, going through preparations as they aim for the fight of their lives. This RP has yet to begin, and only four players will be accepted once it starts. This is going to be a small RP and requires members that are extremely loyal to their Roleplays.

Go ahead and click one of these colorful titles to see the OOC pages.

__________________



*
  #5820    
Old October 3rd, 2012, 02:14 PM
Nimblethumbs's Avatar
Nimblethumbs
my name would look hot in bold
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
I don't know anything about Zelda

The SF/DW thing seems interesting, but it's progressed to far in for me to really join and get in :,(
__________________
insert witty quote here
  #5821    
Old October 3rd, 2012, 02:16 PM
Dusk's Avatar
Dusk
Fighting to Renew my Past...
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Elysia
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimblethumbs View Post
The SF/DW thing seems interesting, but it's progressed to far in for me to really join and get in :,(
Nonsense, you can join at any point! Besides, the Roleplay has only ended the first day, after all, so the only thing you missed was the New Moon Festival. You could easily ask another player what happened in short summary form.
__________________



*
  #5822    
Old October 5th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Adventure's Avatar
Adventure
thief . of . light
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sweden
Gender: Male
Nature: Naive
I JUST NOTICED SOMETHING.

There are RPs from August on the first page. AUGUST. Where has activity gone? o.o Has school swallowed us all at last?
__________________
moderator of the ROLEPLAY CORNER .
moderator of POKéMON GENERAL .
paired to abnegation .
  #5823    
Old October 5th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Greiger's Avatar
Greiger
A mad mind... hehe
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A water pond, duh!
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Serious
Unfortunately, yes. School does have that effect.
__________________
  #5824    
Old October 5th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Dusk's Avatar
Dusk
Fighting to Renew my Past...
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Elysia
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers View Post
I JUST NOTICED SOMETHING.

There are RPs from August on the first page. AUGUST. Where has activity gone? o.o Has school swallowed us all at last?
Where you you the past month or two?
__________________



*
  #5825    
Old October 5th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Nimblethumbs's Avatar
Nimblethumbs
my name would look hot in bold
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
I see all these guys using CSS to make their posts look cool and I can't

i need to learn vbulletin CSS
__________________
insert witty quote here

Last edited by Nimblethumbs; October 5th, 2012 at 05:59 PM.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 06:45 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.