• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

School uniform

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I'm listening to a song called Uniform right now and it prompted me to make this thread. Idk.

Anyway, school uniform: good or bad idea? On one hand, school uniform can be seen as expensive, preventing self-expression, uncomfortable, easy for other students to steal as it all looks the same, and generally irritating. On the other hand, students can't be judged on what they wear, it's easy for students to tell who is part of their school should they get lost when they're away from school with a group of other students for example on a field trip, bullying over clothes will be minimised, and uniform is easy to replace if it gets dirty or damaged. Some people also think it looks better.

Other things to consider: what should uniform be like? How tight should teachers be on uniform? What other positives and negatives are there? Etc!

Discuss!

Ralaia

~Smooth as Ice~
Years
Well I am on both sides so...

Bad : Well we know that the girls would make fun of the other peoples clothes and things like that. Also at my school we don't have the dress code problem because rarely someone will have something to "tight". Also I would have to agree on the stealing part because I remember last year when someone stole my P.E uniform so I totally understand that.

Good : Students wouldn't argue about who's clothes are better and how "popular" you are because of the clothes you wear. Which I think is stupid because clothes doesn't make you the person you are. And you only have to wear it at school so when you get home you can wear stuff how ever you please. :D

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years
I agree with school uniforms so long as they're within reason. I wouldn't mind if my school went to a polo and jeans or shorts for a school uniform. I would mind, however, if my school decided to have the students wear suitcoats, long-sleeved collared shirts and dress pants. I also think that the teachers shouldn't be too nitpicky with the uniforms, because then you have a kid everyday that gets in trouble for not having his shirt tucked in or something else stupid. But aside from that, I think that school uniforms are perfectly fine, for all the reasons listed in the first post.

Years
I went to a Catholic high school. For all four years, we had to wear a uniform. Dull gray dress pants, and either a white or navy blue polo shirt. It could either be short sleeved or long sleeved.

After four years, I'm glad that I don't have to wear the uniform. It was overly expensive, and not something I'd feel comfortable wearing in public. >.>

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I'm all for school uniforms. I think about the situation like this: would you sacrifice one's safety and wellbeing; whether physical, mental or social just to look good?

I don't mind wearing uniform, my school's looks fine, but I do think teachers need to be a little less strict. At my school, several of the staff wait at the front entrance and examine those without the appropriate clothing and take them to administration to be sent home. I think stuff like that's a bit unnecessary, but that might be just me.

All in all, I'm all for uniform, especially if one's safety is thrown into the mix of consequences of not wearing it.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I wore a uniform to High School. A plaid skirt and polo or collared shirt in either blue, white or yellow and a tie on Wednesdays. Honestly it didnt do much to stop bullying, I don't think uniforms work as well as people think they do to prevent kids from making fun of each other, they will simply find another reason which in High School isn't hard because people will make fun of pretty much anything. The benefit I see is it keeps people from wearing innapropriate clothes to school. I really disliked having to wear a uniform, I feel it didn't benefit my learning experience at all, I know you can change after school but that's not the point, the point is I didnt like that I had to wear the same thing as everyone else, I am not the same as everyone else. That's why I don't like the whole uniform thing.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
Years
I'm all for it, but most schools go way overboard these days. My school makes us wear blazers to and from class, including the toilet. We aren't allowed to wear P.E uniform to or from school, because it 'ruins the reputation of the school' and girls aren't allowed piercings, coloured nails, or pretty much any form of jewelery. Our shoes have to be laced and black, and if any of the guys have facial hair the principal drags you to his office and makes you shave. It's extreme and I don't agree with it, but if a school can supply a uniform and be a bit more laid back how to the book it has to be then go the hell for it, after all it reduces the risk of people getting bullied for their choice of clothing even though I'm sure kids will just find something else to bully people for instead.

helix

tea-binger.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 21, 2016
I miss having a uniform instead of having to actually pick out clothes every morning. It shouldn't be so important to establish a personal style, especially in middle to high school where you have enough distractions anyway, and uniforms are super convenient so long as they are comfortable.

That being said, I broke every other uniform rule in high school until senior year when they just gave up disciplining my class. So my opinion on the extent it should be disciplined is probably not very valid.

All for them, though.

Khawill

<3
Years
I went to a few uniform schools and kids still found ways to make others seem like less. All the one I went to were the same, and I spent less money on clothes + they were pretty comfortable (excluding collars). I think it is something that kids should do because there are a lot of jobs that require uniforms or formal attire.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
I don't think anyone mentioned this, but there are many schools that have safety concerns regarding non-students on school premises. With school uniforms, it is easier to identify students and non-students.

Also, the cost for parents to pay for expensive clothing with decrease. Parents feel the pressure to buy clothes from other parents whether it is explicit or implicit, and their children (who are pressured by peers).

Money that can be invested toward potential long-term benefits including tutoring, lessons, sports equipment, art equipment, musical instruments, and school supplies just to name a few.

Although children ridicule each other regardless of the implementation of uniforms, it could potentially lower the number of incidences involving attire and poverty. Also, it reduces the anxiety that children go through when deciding what clothes to wear. Even if a child isn't bullied for clothing, the anxiety has could have consequences of education.

Although schools should foster creativity and individuality, the way we dress is not paramount either. For example, many business professionals are required to adhere to a dress-code, but they must be creative in order to standout and make the company a success. The mind should be fostered for creativity and individuality, not the physical appearance, which could even distract others from seeing the intellectual creativity.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
Both my elementary and high school's had uniforms.

They aren't that bad. Especially my high school's. You had a choice between black, or tan pants, or the skirt for girls. Then a choice between black or white polos, blouse or sweatshirts.

And trust me, despite having uniforms, everyone had their ways of showing their individuality. It in no way shape or form hindered that.

I support uniforms 100%

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I have never heard of uniforms being stolen, ever lol. I heard about regular hoodies and such being stolen a LOT more than uniforms when I was in grade school.

But I do completely support uniforms. My elementary school gave us the choice of khakis, leggings (unbelievably, lol) and a button-down or polo shirt. I wore the button-down/legging combo frequently and it was actually super comfortable for class and romping the playground with.

Anyway, yay uniforms.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
Hmm. I don't know. It's like I'm in between. I don't like uniforms, because they look tacky. Haha. But if it wasn't for uniforms, I would be at the bottom of the popularity-pyramid. I have horrible clothes.

Years
I enjoy wearing my uniform, it means I don't need to decide on something to wear everyday. Also we have the classic "Aussie" school uniform, with the checker style dresses and grey shorts and whatever. For some reason I impress American girls when I'm wearing my uniform.

In other news..
My last school was in very bad shape, the children were disgusting, we'd have police investigating assault charges or criminal damage every other day. And trespassing was a big issue as well because people would come into the school during lunch time and like be naughty or whatever in their casual clothes which is what caught them out most times.
But some started actually borrowing uniforms and wearing that instead, they'd go into classes and disrupt everything claiming to be the new kid and just never returned. (And yes I've done it since I moved, just to hang out with mates.)

Years
I think a school uniform is needed in the earlier days of the education system, as some places have it now, as it is good for some students who aren't as fortunate as others, so they don't have to have many different outfits for each day.

It also reflects nicely on the schools image, if all their students are nicely dressed.​

Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2012
It's kinda common to wear uniforms here since it's a rule to wear it in all schools. Teachers would normally scold us if our uniforms are untidy, shirts tucked out and skirt length too short etc.

I kinda like wearing uniforms, I always have trouble when I choose my clothes anyway.

Back