The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 7th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Patchisou Yutohru
falling down
Community Supporter

Do you abstain from drugs, alcohol and promiscuity by choice? Why or why not?
Old October 7th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Dakota
ignore the whisper

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakota
I do, because I feel that being straightedge is self control of your life, and yeah. That's basically it.

Will it change? Possibly. I've sworn to never do weed or drink, though, and I keep my promises so -shrug-
Old October 7th, 2012, 10:56 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I abstain from those things because I don't want to screw my later life over.

Old October 7th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Antemortem
there is NO grovyle fanart

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
I tend to focus on how my actions will affect my future and if avoiding one or all of those things will keep my life on the current path it's on, I will choose to do so. Currently, I do not dip into any of the three, and I don't expect to in the near future.
Old October 7th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Penta Penguin
The biggest underdog in the world

Well, I don't smoke, I don't drink, and I don't do drugs. So yes, I am Straight-Edge. I used to drink, but stopped.

Next project: Pokemon Dark Nebula?

~Youtube~
Old October 7th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
I'm straight-edge but a part of me wouldn't mind getting wasted / high etc once just to experience it.
Old October 8th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Anna
(( and whisper my name as you do it ))
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Yeah, generally. Simply because none of it interests me. Well no, actually, alcohol is fairly interesting in a variety of ways. So I'll drink alcoholic things on occasion, but to taste rather than to get drunk. Not that I would ever manage to drink enough to get drunk anyway because none of it's actually that good.

But otherwise... nah. It's not even anything to do with morality or social conventions or whatever; it's just that I don't find any of that an interesting thing to do. Also: I'm underage so I can't buy alcohol & I don't want to go looking for people to sell me drugs & I don't have much money anyway.
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Old October 8th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Algo Fonix
oh god

Nature: Relaxed
Not at all. I enjoy alcohol quite a bit, and I see no reason to deprive myself of one of the few joys life offers.
Old October 8th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Esper

I have alcoholic relatives and other relatives who have died or been permanently impaired because of alcohol and drugs, both on their part and on the part of others. Alcoholism seems to run in families. I don't want that to happen to me so I've stayed away from drugs and have only once had enough alcohol to impair me (which was a thankfully totally unpleasant experience and not something I want to experience again) which was a kind of controlled experiment on my part anyway since I don't drink even small amounts. It's just too much of a risk for me to take.

deviantart blog pair
Old October 8th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Sector

I had no idea there was a term for it, "Straight-Edge?" I've heard of that on different occasions but never understood the definition of it x)

I was forced to smoke back when I was 3-4 years old twice, still remembered it. Thankfully its probably why I hate smelling or even seeing the cigs these days, let alone tell my nephew to keep the weed in the bag when he's @ my house. I completely despise smoking altogether. Same goes for drugs, except I've never done them & never will! If you knew my dad's family history, you'd understand why I'm so strict on this. They are all junkies in these categories, so I'm 100% considering them NOT my family.

I've drank before, once & got drunk. It was an interesting experience, but after that night, I said to myself, "Why do people get a kick out of this & WHY does the drink taste that nasty & they still enjoy it?" This was back in April earlier this year. Never touched another alcohol since but its not really my thing of interest. I can party without it. And will stick to that.
Old October 8th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Oryx
CoquettishCat
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I drink. I used to be super judgmental of drinking/smoking weed like a lot of teenage "nerds", but I outgrew that. I've never tried weed but I'm not against it, I just don't want to spend money on it and never really got the chance to try it.

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old October 8th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Mochi

Nature: Sassy
I've never seen anything good come out of either of those three. I know some people who have died of alcoholism, who have done some really hardcore drugs and don't remember half of it, and people who are a little too free with their body.

The results of their behavior are all very undesirable lol.

Old October 8th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Aphrodite
Community Supporter

Well, I'm certainly not open to doing drugs, weed or whatever else kids do these days. Certainly not ecstasy either, no way. I drink very rarely because whenever I do drink, I end up absolutely drunk and I find it extremely distasteful and not what I want in life. But, I can be quite promiscuous if I want to. Promiscious Girl by Nelly Furtado & Timbaland does happen to be about me, after all.
Old October 8th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Playful_Weasel
can I have a Pokepuff?
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
I have alcoholic relatives and other relatives who have died or been permanently impaired because of alcohol and drugs, both on their part and on the part of others. Alcoholism seems to run in families. I don't want that to happen to me......
The same situation has been with my own family, for many generations, and even the younger generation is going the same direction. Its a sad way to live, what makes it worst is that the specific family members who drink, smoke, or do drugs don't want to admit that its a problem.

Drugs and alcohol and how it affects people, family, is what made me never start, and I never will. I will just try to relax and enjoy live for as long as possible. Its the only reason that I don't get angry or depressed even when drunk family member are shouting at others.
#1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!
Current Challenges - back to challenges
Random Challenge - Badges: 7/8 - game: X - Location: Couriway Town
Random Challenge - Badges: 4/8 - game: Y - Location: Kalos Power Plant
50/50 Challenge - Badges 6/8 - Game Y - Location: Dendemille Town/Frost Cavern
Old October 9th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Broken_Arrow
Paper plane~

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Broken_Arrow
I don't drink,smoke or do drugs because i don't need to..when a problem happen to me i just try to face it to end it not to make another problem by addicting either!....i want to keep my health as long as i live..this is my choice for life

Old October 9th, 2012, 09:01 AM
LividZephyr
Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks

Send a message via AIM to LividZephyr Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LividZephyr
Yes to all three.

I am thankfully allergic to cigarettes and react funnily every time I'm near a smoker with one. Therefore, I don't want to try anything else like that because I don't want to know.

My doctor said that alcohol beyond one drink would be a bad idea for me. I've tried some drinks, and typically those don't even go over well and I feel like crap in the morning. Therefore, I've decided to abstain from it completely, and to drink soda instead. You don't need booze to be social at a party.

And lastly, I believe you shouldn't have sexual relations with another person until you know that you love them. Promiscuous sex really isn't as satisfying as loving sex; it's not something to "just do" because there are plenty of reasons that could make you regret it later. There's only one person I have in mind...
Old October 12th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
I abstain from drugs and alcohol by choice, which I guess could be seen as "straightedge" though it's a bit of a wanky term lol. I don't do this to be "straightedge", I just think these are costly and largely pointless activities and if I can have fun without them (which I can) why would I start? If you don't start something, you never miss it, so that's why I'm not going to go there.

As for promiscuity, there's nothing wrong with that in my book. Well I won't even say 'promiscuity' because that has judgmental overtones. I'll call it healthy sexual expression. I don't abstain from that because it's fun, I practice it safely and it has no harmful side effects. Abstaining from sex for any reason other than you personally not being ready to take that step is silly, in my opinion.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old October 12th, 2012, 05:40 AM
Alinthea
James Sunderland
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Hahahahahaha no.
I don't tough drugs and never have really, alcohol though... Yeh, I do drink, but not crazy amounts. A beer every now and then I do enjoy.
Old October 12th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Sammi
I change my usertitle as often as PC changes slogans
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
No. I'll never do illegal drugs. I abstain from sex because I'm personally not ready (also where would I even find someone to have sex with?). Whenever I get around to it, though, I'll have as much sex as I please. Drinking, however, I enjoy. I try not to go overboard, though. Having just a bottle of something weak is tasty.

If you had asked me this five years ago I'd probably be willing. Now, though, naaaaah.
Old October 12th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Kura
twitter.com/kuraberrym

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
I abstain from drugs and alcohol by choice, which I guess could be seen as "straightedge" though it's a bit of a wanky term lol. I don't do this to be "straightedge", I just think these are costly and largely pointless activities and if I can have fun without them (which I can) why would I start? If you don't start something, you never miss it, so that's why I'm not going to go there.
This, I also do not like the term. And also.. I just don't like the thought of not being in control of myself with drugs (or even too much alcohol.) I wouldn't want to try drugs because they are rather unappealing to me. I will have a drink every once in a while or with a meal- but not to get drunk : /
I will have sex when I am ready to have sex. I am in no rush, but I am not holding back for no reason either- I just want to be ready and comfortable.

I also think I have allergies to smoking; I am very sensitive to cigarette smoke and will often either start coughing, have red/sore eyes or throat, get a headache, or feel like vomiting even if someone is smoking like 3-4 meters away from me.
Old October 12th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Sylphiel
get away, run away, fly away

Nature: Quirky
Yes. Well, not so much the drinking; if given the choice, I'd take an alcoholic drink (in decent amounts, I don't drink to get drunk or anything), but I don't actively go after such things. Money and all that.

The rest though, definitely yes by choice. Or maybe not so much even choice as the fact I've never felt the desire to express myself in those ways. I'm kind of boring like that, I know. :P

» Paired with Ausaudriel, yo.
» I also make pictures. Sometimes.
Old October 12th, 2012, 04:39 PM
AChipOffTheOldBrock
Too Legit To Quit

I think being "straight edge" is kind of gay. Probably, because at my old school the wannabe punk kids who didnt get invited to parties and couldnt get any hookups went straight edge. I smoke weed a lot and dabble in other drugs every once in a while. I dont drink much, partly because I hate the taste of alcohol and Im not really too fond of being drunk anyway and partly because alcoholism is very prevalent in my family. I pretty much do whatever I want regardless of what Im told is right. I do drugs for fun, out of boredom, or to cope with my Bipolar Disorder. I dont really see any point in not doing drugs/drinking. I think the reason a lot of people dont partake is ignorance. For those of you who have never done drugs and want to, do it, but be smart about it.
Old October 12th, 2012, 04:49 PM
LividZephyr
Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks

Send a message via AIM to LividZephyr Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LividZephyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChipOffTheOldBrock View Post
I think being "straight edge" is kind of gay. Probably, because at my old school the wannabe punk kids who didnt get invited to parties and couldnt get any hookups went straight edge. I smoke weed a lot and dabble in other drugs every once in a while. I dont drink much, partly because I hate the taste of alcohol and Im not really too fond of being drunk anyway and partly because alcoholism is very prevalent in my family. I pretty much do whatever I want regardless of what Im told is right. I do drugs for fun, out of boredom, or to cope with my Bipolar Disorder. I dont really see any point in not doing drugs/drinking. I think the reason a lot of people dont partake is ignorance. For those of you who have never done drugs and want to, do it, but be smart about it.
Are you saying that it's okay to break the law by using illegal drugs, and that it's "gay" if you don't?

I'm 100% straight, thank you very much. I don't like alcohol because of the effect it has on me, and cigarettes make me uncomfortable so I'm not going to try anything else. I also don't believe in sex before love, so... I don't get your point at all.
Old October 12th, 2012, 05:00 PM
AChipOffTheOldBrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LividZephyr View Post
Are you saying that it's okay to break the law by using illegal drugs, and that it's "gay" if you don't?

I'm 100% straight, thank you very much. I don't like alcohol because of the effect it has on me, and cigarettes make me uncomfortable so I'm not going to try anything else. I also don't believe in sex before love, so... I don't get your point at all.
Yeah I think its perfectly fine to break the law by using illegal drugs. I dont have much respect for the law, tbh. And i dont think its gay not to use drugs, just because of the way the "straight edge" movement was presented to me I dont have a very high opinion of it. I also dont like how condescending non-drug doing people are. If you dont want to do drugs more power to you but dont tell me what I should and shouldnt do, you know what I mean? Its not too hard of a point to get really. I believe in sex whenever and with whoever you want to. I also dont like the way alcohol makes me feel and I cant stand smoking cigarettes or being around people who are smoking.
Old October 12th, 2012, 06:39 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
buh

I don't really, because I don't have the time and effort to.

I'll maybe get myself a juice or something but even drinking that's too exhausting for me so I can't imagine how it would be like with alcohol.

I don't judge people -on purpose-, however. They can do what they want. You know why? they're not me

And everything else I just find them boring. Time to play Pokémon, anyone?

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links