• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Combine JE and GE.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Wouldn't it make logical sense to combine Japanese Entertainment and General Entertainment, given the ongoing lack of activity in both of those forums (especially Japanese Entertainment)? They cover the exact same topics, only one is strictly Japanese because we apparently need a forum for Japanese only topics (even though the section doesn't get very much activity) because Pokémon is Japanese or something.

Like, why were they kept separate? This has been an issue for a while.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Because...digi-kun modding General Entertainment? Can you imagine!? Anyway, I felt they were different enough to stay separate. Though a merge wouldn't hurt, I don't think. But it won't break my heart or anything if they remain the same. I'm indifferent on this, lol.

Years
I agree actually. Combine the two to combat the stagnation and give it a better worded broad name and promote it a bit. I don't see why not.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
How are they different enough, though? One's for Japanese music, TV shows, movies and books and the other is for anything non-Japanese music, TV shows, movies and books. Just put all things music, TV shows, movies and books in one forum. The most we'd need is a prefix, if that, for Japanese stuff and even that's kind of wat-ish to me. Makes no sense having an entire forum for Japanese and grouping everything non-Japanese in one forum for a reason unknown.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
I haven't been here long enough to remark on the activity of these, but seeing as I've managed forums before...

It may seem like it makes more sense to combine them, especially given how having fewer forums on the entire board makes the site look cleaner, but if there are too many topics in any one forum, it could be harder to navigate if you're looking for a specific topic from three days ago or something. I'm presuming this is why they were split the way they are now.

One idea is to make the Japanese Entertainment a sub-board of General Entertainment, which could give the best of both worlds. Just a suggestion!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
How are they different enough, though? One's for Japanese music, TV shows, movies and books and the other is for anything non-Japanese music, TV shows, movies and books. Just put all things music, TV shows, movies and books in one forum. The most we'd need is a prefix, if that, for Japanese stuff and even that's kind of wat-ish to me. Makes no sense having an entire forum for Japanese and grouping everything non-Japanese in one forum for a reason unknown.

Didn't even think of prefixes, haha. That would make things more organized I think. still can't picture digi-kun modding things that aren't japanese though haha This deals with his forum though, so his opinion should come into play here.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I haven't been here long enough to remark on the activity of these, but seeing as I've managed forums before...

It may seem like it makes more sense to combine them, especially given how having fewer forums on the entire board makes the site look cleaner, but if there are too many topics in any one forum, it could be harder to navigate if you're looking for a specific topic from three days ago or something. I'm presuming this is why they were split the way they are now.

One idea is to make the Japanese Entertainment a sub-board of General Entertainment, which could give the best of both worlds. Just a suggestion!
I think you should take a look at the two forums. This would hardly be much of a problem, because these days neither of those forums are terribly active. I would understand if this was something like Other Voting Polls and Other Chat & Discussions because those are really active forums, but these forums hardly have the activity that would make it confusing to navigate if they were combined. Both of them are inactive to a degree, especially compared to how they used to be. Besides, it would also condense the amount of claim threads there are in the forums. Japanese Entertainment has it's own claims thread for every single claim not related to Pokémon while everything is in another. What's wrong with just one claim thread, containing any type of entertainment from any part of the world? I just don't see why Japanese Entertainment needs it's own forum these days. The favoritism for that forum is beyond ridiculous.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
Yeah, I was just in General Entertainment and there aren't many threads with "October" in front of them. You do have a point there and I really should shut up about these things when I don't know much or even how they used to be. Shows what I know, and that this wasn't my place to step into things at all. My apologies! Won't happen again until I've been here another four months.

Guess that means I'm all for a merger then!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Now now, no need to apologize for giving your opinion. That's the reason I posted the thread in the first place, because I wanted opinions... and, you know, because I wanted the forums to actually be merged because I think it's stupid that they aren't.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I think this is actually a good idea. I'd like to see something like this be put into action since I'm sure it will encourage activity. I, now that I take a step back and look at things, see the unnecessary need to have them two separate sections, when Japanese entertainment would mesh well together with non-Japanese entertainment discussions. (Because we have a Japanese Entertainment area should we also have separate Australian, Italian, French, Spanish etc. Entertainment too?)

I think combining these is a good idea, I'm all for it.

Last edited:

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Yay, let's let out all the HQ dirty laundry! :D

In contrast to Audy, I'd be perfectly OK with a merger or, failing that, having JE as a subforum of the new-and-improved GE, to keep its 'identity' but also realising its similarities to the main forum. I also like the idea of having categories in any potential merged forum, but given the size of JE - it may be a small forum in the grand scheme of things, but there are still a lot of threads within it - it may just end up becoming a little bit cluttered.

As Audy said, there will be a firm conclusion at some point in the future; when in particular that will be, I can't say for sure, but there will be a decision made.

Years
I understand where you're coming from but in this particular case it isn't just a Japanese version of GE, it's more of a subculture thing. Anime/manga/etc. is undeniably the dominant part of JE and I think it sells it short to just group it all together, even if the forum is a little bit less active than it used to be.
Make JE into the Anime/Manga forum, maybe? Free up everything else to be in GE?

droomph

weeb
Years
looking at it this way:

GE 4,073 threads
85,061 posts
33 live threads

JE 2,388 threads
55,686 posts
15 live threads

Combined GE 6,400~6,500 threads
140,000~141,000 posts
40~45 live threads

It shouldn't be that bad, considering there are plenty more forums with more need for organization than a hypothetical combined GE would be.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I'm not sure about this idea... In my mind, Japanese Entertainment is separate enough to be it's own category. Threads about anime & magna don't really seem like they belong in the General Entertainment section, especially on a forum like this where a large percentage of the community does watch anime/read manga. I understand the premise that it is the Japanese version of Culture & Media, and that does seem reasonable to warrant a merge, but the thing is that anime and manga etc are such prominent areas of discussion that in my mind they should have their own section. Perhaps like Scarf said, it could be better to change Japanese Entertainment to Anime & Manga (or similar) and clear up the loose ends in between for the rest of Japanese entertainment by putting them in with General Entertainment? Or possibly even just make Japanese Entertainment a sub-forum of General Entertainment if something has to move? It just seems unfitting to have anime/manga discussions taking up General Entertainment to me. And I don't think the acitivty of the sections should matter too much if it means the topics stay in the correct places; we have much less active sections that are standing alone.

I don't often post in either section though so I may be wrong here and I apologise for making any unfair assumptions. :p

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
If we're going by the "It falls under GE's umbrella" argument, video games could easily fit under the term General Entertainment, but it doesn't. I feel that JE is in the same boat in that case.

Although I could also see if they were merged boosted activity for both, because of people that only visit one section. The people from JE would visit GE, and probably end up posting in a thread or two because GE is such a wide category, while the GE regulars might get into anime/manga threads a bit more than they would have if they didn't see the threads everywhere.

SO idk.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I've always seen C&M as the pop culture holy land on PC. It's a place where you can go if you're not into anime and manga and all that kind of stuff. It's kind of like an off-topic forum in that regard. Pokemon is a Japanese creation which gives the forum a largely Japanese-based culture which at times can become overwhelming. I've always enjoyed C&M for the escape it provides from that.

So yeah, I'm also against the merger.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I don't really understand how anime and manga are that different than animations and comic books in the western world. Why are people perceiving it to be this thing that I can't even find a word to describe that's so out of this world that those things alone are enough of a reason to keep it out of General Entertainment, especially with the lack of activity and such an umbrella forum? Anime is animations made in Japan. That's it. And while manga is a little different than comic books, they both hold the same light reading nature and have very similar fan followings.

Japanese Entertainment has ten threads that have been posted in this month, and sixteen threads (including the ten for this month) from the last two months, and the issue was going on even back before I was an smod. In fact, I think I remember us discussing it. There are, like, four threads out of those ten that directly relate to an anime. In addition to that, most of the activity that could be going into Japanese Entertainment because of the anime following actually goes into their respective fanclubs. Its always been an ongoing issue that entertainment threads (with the exception of Video Games) often have a more active fan club rather than a respective general discussion thread, even when I was a moderator of Other Entertainment.

The rest of the threads there are general enough to apply to other things. "Sub or dub" for instance. There are other languages than English that a lot of the Other Entertainment regulars watch as subs and dubs, mainly French and Spanish. "Anime/Manga which you think changed you a bit or taught you something?" - that could easily be expanded to pretty much any form of entertainment, because nearly every single book, TV show, movie, anime, manga, etc. has a theme and a lesson learned.

I would agree to the idea of sucking everything else that's included in Japanese Entertainment and leaving anime and manga there, but a) that's pretty much what its like now, and b) the activity isn't enough to really warrant a forum for it, especially considering Other Clubs.

Also, if "oh but so many people here watch it!!" is an argument in favor of it, why don't they actually go to it? There has to be a reason. I'm aware that the overwhelming majority of our memberbase (or active memberbase, anyway) watches anime. But they don't post in that forum. So... what exactly is the point of that argument? Especially since I'm not suggesting getting rid of anime and manga discussion, simply moving it to another spot. There's a ton of members here who love shipping, especially the anime. But they don't discuss it enough to warrant a forum for it, even though it gets requested every few months by someone.

If we're going by the "It falls under GE's umbrella" argument, video games could easily fit under the term General Entertainment, but it doesn't. I feel that JE is in the same boat in that case.
Except Video Games is the most active entertainment forum, and the "umbrella argument" isn't the only argument I'm using in favor of merging them. My main argument is the lack of activity, which, as I mentioned, has been going on for a while now. In fact, the activity in Japanese Entertainment has been declining since 2008, probably even beforehand.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
Years
My personal opinion is that they should remain separate. I understand where you're coming from but in this particular case it isn't just a Japanese version of GE, it's more of a subculture thing. Anime/manga/etc. is undeniably the dominant part of JE and I think it sells it short to just group it all together, even if the forum is a little bit less active than it used to be.

Oh my god, I almost always agree with Audy, but oh well!

Basically, this.

A big percentage of the member base here belongs to the anime fandom, and Pokemon itself is an anime and manga too, and while the Pokemon side of things have their own area - the point is PC targets and draws in a lot of anime fans. I'm one of them, and I'm not sure about others, but I've always liked that JE was separate from GE. I want my anime with my anime, and I don't want to scroll through pages of GE threads to find JE topics. Likewise, plenty of GE goers probably feel like anime should stay the heck out of their area if they dislike it.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Oh my god, I almost always agree with Audy, but oh well!

Basically, this.

A big percentage of the member base here belongs to the anime fandom, and Pokemon itself is an anime and manga too, and while the Pokemon side of things have their own area - the point is PC targets and draws in a lot of anime fans. I'm one of them, and I'm not sure about others, but I've always liked that JE was separate from GE. I want my anime with my anime, and I don't want to scroll through pages of GE threads to find JE topics. Likewise, plenty of GE goers probably feel like anime should stay the heck out of their area if they dislike it.
Not even surprised this argument is withstanding for Japanese Entertainment when it faltered with other forums and prospective/suggested forums for so long.

Pokémon may draw a lot of anime fans, but most of those anime fans don't post in Japanese Entertainment, which is my point. I'm not denying that people here are fans of it. I'm simply stating that them simply being fans of it isn't enough of a reason to overlook the ongoing lack of activity and ignore the fact that these people don't post in the forum.

"Likewise, plenty of GE goers probably feel like anime should stay the heck out of their area if they dislike it." Plenty of people on Other Chat & Discussion want to not see political threads there, but they manage just fine. That doesn't seem like a very good argument when that can apply to literally every single forum here in one way or another for ~plenty of people~. Just putting that out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back