The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Technology & Internet

Notices

Technology & Internet The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Old October 9th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post

I think you're a bit oversimplifying. There are three kinds of pirates:

1. The person that wants the game but can't afford or/will not pay for it, so pirates it.
2. The person that wants the game and would buy it if they didn't have the option to pirate.
3. The person that is intending to buy the game if they enjoy it.
Myself, I'm a bit between 2 and 3. If I download a song, or a game or a movie, and I have the money for it, I'll buy it, but if I don't, then I'll keep the downloaded copy until I do get the money and opportunity to buy it.

It's why I bought Picross 3D and MadWorld. I had downloaded them originally, but I enjoyed them so I bought them.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old October 9th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
For games, its a varient of 1/2 for me. If the game has DRM, I'm pirating a DRM free copy.

I have a very deep hatred of Steam, relating to when I had dialup. I'd purchase physical copies of games, and not be able to use them because Steam refuses to work on dialup. The part that made me hate them was when asking on the Steam Forums the only 'help' I got was being told to get better Internet. I have better internet now, but if my money wasn't important enough for them to give me a working service back then, then I'm sure as **** not giving them my money now.

Edit - I'll pirate it just out of spite, but if I end up falling in love with the game then I'll buy a physical copy. If they don't sell physical copies though, no money for them.

As for music, it's mostly #3 and sorta #1 (As in, not avaliable to purchase.) The stuff that I love, I can't buy it here so pirating is my only option. (Globe. Love them, but their CD's are rare and when they do pop up they are usually 50-60 each, plus the shipping from Japan.)

Come play Runescape

Last edited by Mr. X; October 9th, 2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old October 9th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Those 3 types don't address reasons, so adding a fourth with a reason misses the point a bit. If the game has DRM you would fall under either 1 or 2, depending on if you would go without the game if the only option was paying and dealing with DRM, lol.
Old October 9th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
Those 3 types don't address reasons, so adding a fourth with a reason misses the point a bit. If the game has DRM you would fall under either 1 or 2, depending on if you would go without the game if the only option was paying and dealing with DRM, lol.
Anti-piracy techniques implemented into games (Earthbound, Pokemon Black (2) and White (2)) would count as DRM, right?

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old October 9th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

Yeah, reread the reasons again. Had to rewrite that a couple of times because of it.

Edit - Not really. They don't prevent you from using the product on a device it was made for, ie a DS(L,I,I XL)

If they started requiring you to have a active wifi connection at all times, then it would fall under (imo) DRM which disrupts use of a product on a device it was made for.

Come play Runescape
Old October 9th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
It is technically DRM, but it's not the type that harms the valid consumer as well as the pirate, so it's not the type that's usually referred to when people talk about the evils of DRM haha. Something like a limited number of installs is also harmful DRM.
Old October 9th, 2012, 08:20 PM
LividZephyr
Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks

Send a message via AIM to LividZephyr Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LividZephyr
DRM was the main reason I started pirating music way back when. iTunes is a garbage service, after all. Then Amazon started establishing itself as a music source without DRM, so I've been going there to get tunes when I want them.

I didn't know that games had DRM, though... yikes. Wait, are these those stupid "game only works on one unit" things, that don't take into account replacement consoles and all of that BS? If that's the case, I'd totally pirate them. I want to play the full game and not pay extra. Not that I really play games much anymore...
Old October 9th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

The 3DS jumped into the 'Bad DRM' territory though with it's region locking though.

Moot point though, as there are no 3DS emulators/flashcards out. Yet.

Edit - Speaking of super ****** DRM, did you know that there were actually some forms of DRM that would cause your computers components to wearout at a very increased rate?

Edit again - Another exception to my pirate everything with DRM rule, but If I had a less laggy internet connection then I'd be buying some games just for the MP. Top of my list, currently, is ME3. (I have a dislike for it but its not enough to make me hate it. It's not the ending either... It's because they completely screwed my favorite gun, the M-5 Phalanx. I loved the ME-2 version, can't stand the ME3 version. And it's not because it's weaker, it's because they got rid of the laser targeting)

Come play Runescape

Last edited by Mr. X; October 9th, 2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old October 9th, 2012, 08:28 PM
LividZephyr

Send a message via AIM to LividZephyr Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LividZephyr
Oh, right, region locking. I'd definitely try to mod a console if that was the case and I wanted to play an import game or something. Console modding is in the same vein as piracy, apparently... yet rooting your Android phone is legal? Weird.

I don't really pirate programs, though. Have had bad experiences :-X
Old October 9th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

Was looking this up, about the DRM ruining/damaging computers.

The most widely known case was the Sony BMG Rootkit scandal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_So...ection_scandal

I haven't found articles about this, but just from how two types of DRM/Copyprotection work (SecuROM and Starforce) you can tell how bad of a idea they are.

SecuROM worked by having intentionally flawed sectors on the disc. If these damaged sectors weren't detected, game wouldn't work. However, the flawed sectors can cause severe drive slowdown, and increased wear on the drive.

Starforce installed additional driver, with high security privilages, and disables SCSI devices, and also left a pretty exploitable security flaw in your computer. If the driver malfunctoned/errored it, it would crash your computer. This was more prevalant on Vista though. Oh, and it could also make your CD drive say '**** you, I Quit!' because it either sends to many, or incorrect, device commands.

Come play Runescape
Old October 9th, 2012, 08:57 PM
LividZephyr

That reminds me... I'm gonna run Malwarebytes. DRM is spyware, after all, and encrypting stuff with it can only do harm long-term. Like with iTunes songs only working on that crappy music player or games only working in certain regions. It's not a necessary evil, it's just... evil. Why is it even necessary? It would only prevent companies from making money due to the drawbacks.

Seriously, that's why I would pirate. I don't want to give them money if they're going to make my life more difficult. Amazon does MP3s right. Why can't Crapple?
Old October 10th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

Apple is all about profit through control.

You can see it in pretty much everything they make.

Come play Runescape
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links