The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Technology & Internet

Notices

Technology & Internet The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 3rd, 2012, 05:24 AM
Alinthea
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax

Advertise here

When was the last time you fixed something?

This thread is to talk about those times some piece of technology broke and you fixed it. Maybe it was a easy fix or you went around in circles for hours and hours, before realising that it is a simple fix.

Many times I have done this with printers; having cleared all of the jammed paper to find one little bit has ripped inside the fuser and it is a simple remove.

Old October 3rd, 2012, 06:34 AM
Doppelgänger
Community Supporter

Same here with the printers. Always jams on me. At first it took me awhile to figure out how to fix it but now its easier.

Printers are annoying.

"A living, breathing, double of oneself usually tormenting the person they look like..."
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:34 PM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
I'm terrible with it. I try and I fail and it makes me super frustrated. When I can't figure out why something is broken it really stresses me out.. >_> I need good customer service.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 03:56 PM
Algo Fonix
oh god

Nature: Relaxed
I had to re-cap my monitor, because Samsung used bootleg parts and they exploded. Was a relatively quick and easy fix, though. The last project I undertook was re-routing power on one of my old game systems. One of the traces on the motherboard got severely oxidized and I ended up tracing back to where the connection was good and using a thin wire to complete the circuit again. I also installed a new screen in my brother's laptop... which was so simple I don't know why he didn't do it himself, honestly.

I love fixing things.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 09:32 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Fix? Never bother. :P

I use it 'till it breaks, then mope around 'till I get a better one :3

but really though the most I've ever even tried to fix is like my printer. I can't be bothered to take care of my laptop tbh

Old October 4th, 2012, 12:34 AM
Plumpyfoof

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Plumpyfoof
Thread title reminded me of a funny moment I had in Physics class the other day.

I was calculating time dilation at speeds close to the speed of light and it wasn't working. I was getting so frustrated and yelling "you're wrong, why are you wrong?" other classmates were laughing but I didn't care, my calculator was wrong and I didn't know why.
Turns out I was using c = 3.0x10^8 m/s instead of c = 1 as in 1x the speed of light.
Boy did I look silly when I worked it out.
LOL!
Spoiler:

t0 = t1 x (1/(SQRT 1- (v/c)) or something I dunno Einstein's special relativity was last semester.
where v >0<1 and c = 1
Old October 4th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Not much as far as mechanically fixing stuff (though one time I did have to reassemble my VCR remote after it fell on the floor and the plastic casing broke in two). Then there was my crappy attempt to repair my broken DS hinge with tape until the tape came off, but my fix did last for over a year xD . And when I worked in the math department offices at my college, they had this horrible printer that I would always have to resolve a paper jam with. Come to think of it, I may be more handyman than I thought xD

However.... my brother doesn't have a proper antivirus program on his computer and he seems to always stumble upon rogue sites that install viruses and malware, so I'm always the one who has to restart the thing, go into safe mode, kill processes, hunt for hidden files to delete, change the registry, and so on to clean it up. And those suckers seem to get harder and harder to get rid of each time, so it's taking me more time to fix the problems on it.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Friend Safari:
*GMC Safari
*Pontiac Safari
*Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
Old October 4th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
Happens to be quite often. Especially recently with my adapter which sometimes doesn't want to work or would be working but wouldn't be charging my computer (aka I need a new one). Most of the time I will try again and again until I get it to work or it miraculously does but sometimes I get really frustrated and give up. Whether it is for a time being or just forever really depends.
Old October 5th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
Haha I remember having this conversation with you on Saturday. Last week, one of the company owners requested me to try and fix his printer - it kept printing out pages that were completely black. Essentially all I did was take out the black ink cartridge and re-callibrated it twice and then it worked.
Old October 5th, 2012, 06:00 AM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I've fixed quite a few things, actually.

-I've fixed the computer countless times when it's had viruses
-I've completely disassembled and reassembled a DS Lite to give it a stylish new shell
-I turned my tablet into a ghetto laptop after my friend suggested I use a mouse
-I fixed a friend's iPod Touch over Facebook after it wouldn't start up properly after declining an iOS6 update
-I've jailbroken so many devices to make them easier to use
-I've fixed a few peoples' TV services (Cords were hooked in the wrong places lmfao)
-I fixed a VCR that wouldn't run properly (Lasted for a few days but whatever)

I could probably list more, but I can't think of any more atm

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old October 9th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Morkula
Play the Game

Seems like most people agree with me...printers are the spawn of Satan himself. They jam for no apparent reason, go offline and won't receive a signal, stop working at random intervals, and just in general are a pain in the ass. Then you unplug them, turn them back on, and they go on about their business.

paired with cherrim ~ big brother of arago
4p games ~ 4p forums ~ backloggery ~ twitter
Old October 9th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Plumpyfoof

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Plumpyfoof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkula View Post
Seems like most people agree with me...printers are the spawn of Satan himself. They jam for no apparent reason, go offline and won't receive a signal, stop working at random intervals, and just in general are a pain in the ass. Then you unplug them, turn them back on, and they go on about their business.
You'd be correct, my printer doesn't work when my wi-fi isn't connected for some reason.
Old October 10th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Tossing this in as some humor.

In highschool, I was in the Votech program taking computer engineering. Out class pretty much was Votechs IT department.

If something broke, we got the call to fix it.

The most memorable/funny was a computer, from automotive, that refused to turn on. The TEACHER of that Votech class spent 10 minutes telling us that he tried everything and it still refused to work.

I fixed it in under a minute. I just flipped the switch on the power supply.

Our class was laughing for a few days after that.

Come play Runescape
Old October 10th, 2012, 10:31 AM
LividZephyr
Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks

Send a message via AIM to LividZephyr Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LividZephyr
My Android phone often loves disagreeing with me, and I have to troubleshoot it all the time. My laptop is also nearing the four-year mark and I don't know how long it has left, so I'm keeping on my toes.

Actually fixing something? Been a while. This is more minor stuff. Annoying, yes. Doable... yes.
Old October 10th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Um, well at one point my Wii didnt work and in frustration I bashed it. Turned the on switch again. It turned on. I actually laughed out loud.
Old October 12th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Hybrid Trainer
My Secrecy. My Advantage.

Pretty much everything I touch breaks so I've gotten pretty good at fixing stuff I accidentally step on or drop or install something that doesn't quite agree with another piece of software.
The last thing that I had to fix was my browser, after installing a plugin it started to crash constantly and it took me well over a week to make a connection between the two. I find it funny that it was a plugin that was meant to help you when your browser crashes too lol.

"I am confident that if anyone actually penetrates our facades, even the most perceptive would still be fundamentally unprepared for the truth of House Dimir."
-Szadek, Lord of Secrets

Old October 14th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Tsutarja

Nature: Jolly
A while back, my parents had a computer (owned for 4 years).. then towards the end of its life (under their ownership) it began to run slow and eventually refuse to boot. They turned the machine over to me and so I placed different OSs on it and discovered that they too were running slow. Next, I performed a hard drive diagnostics in the BIOS to find that the hard drive in the machine was dying. So over the summer, I went out and bought a new hard drive (HP, the computer's manufacturer said the HDD had to match exact specs or else it wouldn't function properly).. So I did that and to this day the computer is acting good as new under my ownership.

Super Smash Staff Collab
mod pairs family twitter pc social sites
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here