The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 28th, 2012, 02:30 PM
ShinyUmbreon189
Never go full retard

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to ShinyUmbreon189

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellicentfan1 View Post
It is WPS. I have a Centurylink Modem.
It's WPA, that's why. SouSilver, HeartGold, Diamond, Platinum, Pearl, and a lot more don't support WPA. Looks like your in the same boat as me. I got WPA but ordering the WiFi USB adapter tomorrow so I can get WiFi.

Old September 28th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Powalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyUmbreon189 View Post
It's WPA, that's why. SouSilver, HeartGold, Diamond, Platinum, Pearl, and a lot more don't support WPA. Looks like your in the same boat as me. I got WPA but ordering the WiFi USB adapter tomorrow so I can get WiFi.

Ok thanks! I will place an order for one now!

Old September 28th, 2012, 03:22 PM
ShinyUmbreon189
Never go full retard

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to ShinyUmbreon189
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellicentfan1 View Post
Ok thanks! I will place an order for one now!
You gotta make sure its the right one. Not any WiFi adapter will work. It's not the network adapter.

Old September 28th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Powalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyUmbreon189 View Post
You gotta make sure its the right one. Not any WiFi adapter will work. It's not the network adapter.

Oh, ok that is what I thought.

Old October 9th, 2012, 10:03 PM
applefandroid
Unhatched Egg

Hey Guys! I have a few questions about breeding and moves.
Can one/how does one breed Outrage onto a baby Dratini?

A little off topic but here's another one: If you teach a Pokemon a move that it will learn naturally using a TM, do you have to go to the move forgetter to "forget" it?

P.S. If this is in the wrong place or has already been adressed somewhere PLEASE let me know cuz I'm kind of new here.
Old October 9th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Rainbow Arcanine
now known as narnia

Nature: Jolly
You can breed Outrage into a baby Dratini via-Getting a male Dragonair or Dragonite knowing Outrage then breeding with a Ditto or female Dragonair/Dragonite.Then hatch your egg and the Dratini will know Outrage n_n.

You don't have to get the move forgettor to help you forget TMs.They only apply to HMs which are only deletable via the Move Deleter.If you want to replace the TM for another move,it's perfectly fine nothing will stop you saying you can't delete it :3.

Hope I helped a bit :3!
. :p
Old October 9th, 2012, 11:15 PM
curiousnathan
woop woop

Nature: Careful
Quote:
A little off topic but here's another one: If you teach a Pokemon a move that it will learn naturally using a TM, do you have to go to the move forgetter to "forget" it?
Nope. As Rainbow Arcanine mentioned, TM's are replaceable moves unlike HM's where in order to replace their slot with another move, you'll need to visit the Move Deleter.

Anyway, I'm going to push this off into the Fourth Gen Help Thread where quick questions like these are better suited!

Merged

Last edited by curiousnathan; October 9th, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old October 10th, 2012, 10:04 PM
applefandroid
Unhatched Egg

Thanks guys that was really helpful.
I have a few more questions though
1)How big a deal are IVs? I just recently decided to EV train my Pokémon in Black 2, but I haven't done anything about IVs.

2)What is the best/conventional strategy in terms of EV training and how do natures factor in? Like I know what natures do, but... which should I do?
Examples:
a. Get a nature that is high in the best base stat and low in the lowest base stat
b. Get a nature that is high in the lowest base stat and low in the best base stat
c. Get a nature that is high in the lowest base stat and low in another one, not necessarily the lowest base stat
d. Get a nature that doesn't change anything.

3) And then there is also the EV spread itself. When I train it, do I just completely avoid battling any Pokémon that aren't the EVs I'm looking for?
And should I
a. Max out the highest base stat and the lowest base stat
b. Max out the lowest base stat and the second best base stat
c. Max out the highest and the second best
d. Any other combination you think would work well.

Last one for now (lol)

4)What is the easiest way to EV train? In terms of using the stat raisers like HP up, Protein, other stuff like that in addition to those single use items like wings(?)

Sorry I know this is a long post and a lot to ask.
Thanks to Curious and Rainbow Arcanine and thanks in advance to you guys who are (hopefully) about to answer these next few!
Old October 10th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Rainbow Arcanine
now known as narnia

I'll be glad to help you out again applefandroid n_n.

I'm going to say IVs take a huge part in Competitive battling as they make up the value of your certain stats.They're hidden from your view,but Pokemon have IV values for each stat-31 in one means you receive a Pokemon for eg. lets say Golem,it will get the highest attack stat possible for a Golem.

If its just for in-game,IVs won't affect you too much at all.For natures it depends on what Pokemon really.If you owned a Staraptor and wanted to EV train it you'd aim for speed and attack,since Staraptor isn't the defensive sort.

So a nature would probably be the same like that-boosts its highest stat then lower the lowest one since it doesn't give much already.For EV training,it is important not to battle Pokemon that have EVs you're not looking for as that messes it up and wastes EVs in a stat you don't necessarily want to train.And like earlier you should train Pokemon in the stats,they're best at.So if you have a speedy attacker,speed and attack would be the ones you'd wanted to train.

EV training isn't easy,but there is a method to make it quicker.You can feed it I believe a max of 10,stat boosting items to make the process faster,then battle wild Pokemon for the rest of EVS.

Hope I helped again,if this was confusing just say and I'll try put it in better words n_n.
. :p
Old October 11th, 2012, 08:01 PM
applefandroid
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Arcanine View Post
I'll be glad to help you out again applefandroid n_n.

I'm going to say IVs take a huge part in Competitive battling as they make up the value of your certain stats.They're hidden from your view,but Pokemon have IV values for each stat-31 in one means you receive a Pokemon for eg. lets say Golem,it will get the highest attack stat possible for a Golem.
Sorry I don't really get that^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Arcanine View Post
For EV training,it is important not to battle Pokemon that have EVs you're not looking for as that messes it up and wastes EVs in a stat you don't necessarily want to train.
It's kind of hard for me to completely avoid Pokémon that give off the wrong EVs in the beginning of the game. literally impossible.
Here is my situation: I have a
Snivy with
5 At.
2 HP
0 De.
0 Sp. De.
2 Sp. At.
4 Sp
I don't know if I used those abbreviations correctly...In case you couldn't tell, they are supposed to be (in order) Attack, Hit Points, Defense, Special Defense, Special Attack, and Speed.

It has a Quiet nature, and is Thoroughly cunning.
In this case, I was trying to train the Speed, for sure. What would you recommend for the other ones? Based on its nature and characteristic. (Which I understand even less.

Just wondering, from what I've told you, can you deduce its current stats?
These are its stats btw. Can you tell me if it's even possible to do that, and if so whether or not you were right?
17 Attack
19 Defense
18 Sp. Atk
18 Sp. Def
19 Speed

Sorry for taking up so much space, and thanks again. Also, if someone wants to move this somewhere else please do.
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:45 AM
FrostPheonix
Eternity.

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by applefandroid View Post
Sorry I don't really get that^
IVs are random values ranging from 1-31 assigned to each pokemon once it is obtained as an egg, encountered, given, etc. IVs affect the stats you get, i.e. an IV of 31 is the best, whereas 1 etc would be horrible. Although, getting IVs of 31 are extremely hard. Getting a perfect IV pokemon is harder than getting a shiny. So if you want a speed maxed pokemon, one with max speed EVs would have less speed if it had an IV of 20 than the same pokemon with maxed speed EVs and a speed IV of 31.

Quote:
Originally Posted by applefandroid View Post
It's kind of hard for me to completely avoid Pokémon that give off the wrong EVs in the beginning of the game. literally impossible.
Here is my situation: I have a 
Snivy with
5 At.
2 HP
0 De.
0 Sp. De.
2 Sp. At.
4 Sp 
I don't know if I used those abbreviations correctly...In case you couldn't tell, they are supposed to be (in order) Attack, Hit Points, Defense, Special Defense, Special Attack, and Speed. 

Just wondering, from what I've told you, can you deduce its current stats?
These are its stats btw. Can you tell me if it's even possible to do that, and if so whether or not you were right?
17 Attack
19 Defense
18 Sp. Atk
18 Sp. Def
19 Speed

Sorry for taking up so much space, and thanks again. Also, if someone wants to move this somewhere else please do.
Well, the thing is, its impractical to EV train at the beginning of a game. Unless the EV you want is there right at the beginning, you'd have to cheat to get the right EVs. And I'm a bit lost here, what did you mean with deduce the stats?

Hope I helped.
Old October 12th, 2012, 05:00 PM
applefandroid
Unhatched Egg

Thanks. When I said deduce, I meant if you could figure out what my pokemon's stats were given the base stats of Snivy, the level, the nature, and the evs gained. Is that possible?
And what do you mean by impractical? Why is that? I think I'm training for speed and there are plenty of Purrloin available... I'm thinking I should probably move this to some 5th gen thread, although my questions for EVs still stand for 4th gen too.
Old October 12th, 2012, 06:02 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Quote:
Thanks. When I said deduce, I meant if you could figure out what my pokemon's stats were given the base stats of Snivy, the level, the nature, and the evs gained. Is that possible?
If you have the IVs too, then yes, you could find out the stats.
Quote:
And what do you mean by impractical? Why is that? I think I'm training for speed and there are plenty of Purrloin available...
Sure, just for speed it is fine, but what about the other stats that aren't necessarily doable early on without some tediousness? That and it just tends to be easier to do that sort of training after beating the game (so you have everywhere available, better for breeding the Pokemon you want which is part of the competitive team creation scheme for many, etc). Nearly everyone I know who does EV training doesn't bother with it in doing it before beating the E4, especially as it is not necessary to just beat the game.

Old October 15th, 2012, 08:32 PM
pokemonismylife
Unhatched Egg

Basically, I am going to start playing the games again and I dont know where to start. I have beaten up to Heart Gold, but i sold my diamond and I dont remember anything about that game. What should I do next? I was thinking of starting at Platinum and going up from there. Any thoughts?
Old October 15th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Mochi

Nature: Sassy
Platinum is probably my favorite from Gen IV, so I definitely recommend it!

I liked HGSS, but the only thing that really kept me playing those games was the PokeWalker, in all honesty. I wish they continued with those, I loved them.
Old October 15th, 2012, 09:07 PM
LividZephyr
Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks

Send a message via AIM to LividZephyr Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LividZephyr
Yeah, Platinum EASILY. Diamond and Pearl aren't very good - Platinum fixes almost every single issue those games had, and is actually a lot of fun to play.

I'd recommend any Pokemon game for the GBA or later, really. If you're just starting, it's hard to go back to the GBC ones as they're so old. Get FireRed or LeafGreen and Emerald if your DS can play GBA. And Black/White and their sequels. If you can afford all of that, anyway.
Old October 15th, 2012, 09:48 PM
curiousnathan
woop woop

Nature: Careful
I'd highly recommend you have a go at Plaitnum, since it's the perfect game for those who want a great Sinnoh experience and is a much much improved version compared to that of Diamond and Pearl.

Anyway, as this isn't an 'actual' discussion, but a simple question seeking some answers and advice, I'm going to merge this. Please use the Fourth Gen Help Thread sticky at the top of this board for future questions!

Enjoy your game.

Merged

Last edited by curiousnathan; October 29th, 2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old October 15th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Hikamaru
the hamster
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Like the others said, definitely get Platinum. It was my fave Sinnoh game and it has a nice expanded Sinnoh Dex and better speed compared to Diamond & Pearl.

I enjoyed it when I played it, so I guarantee you'll like it too.

paired with awolfsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | profile | credit | supporter

Old October 24th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Murt93
Battle Amateur

I was told to post my question on breeding here I know almost everything about ev's and iv's and in soulsilver by giving a pokemon a power item e.g. a power bracelet there is a 50% chance that the iv stat of the parent will be passed to the egg and everyone knows the everstone trick for the nature but here is what I need help with:
I'm trying to get a garchomp with 31 IV's in attack and speed with a jolly nature
I've tried 2 method's the 1st is with a ditto with 31 atk ivs holding a power bracer and a garchomp with 31 Iv's holding a power anklet If my math is correct I have a 33% chance of getting both IV's onto an egg but the jolly nature can take between 12-25 eggs
method no.2 is a garchomp with 31 atk IV's holding a power bracer and a jolly natured garchomp with 31 IV's holding an everstone I've hatched around 50 eggs with each method and my best result is 31 Iv's in attack 22 Iv's in speed with the 2nd method for some reason the everstone garchomp just doesnt want to pass its Iv's am I doing something wrong or have I just been unlucky?
Don't try to apply logic to Pokemon
You'll end up hurting yourself
Old October 24th, 2012, 01:02 PM
servine101
hatched, evolved egg

Nature: Quiet
Whats the correct pattern to tweak in to get the fused route 203 to the right of jubilife city?
Pokemon diamond / jubilife city (i know how 2 tweak btw :p
Old October 24th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murt93 View Post
I was told to post my question on breeding here I know almost everything about ev's and iv's and in soulsilver by giving a pokemon a power item e.g. a power bracelet there is a 50% chance that the iv stat of the parent will be passed to the egg and everyone knows the everstone trick for the nature but here is what I need help with:
I'm trying to get a garchomp with 31 IV's in attack and speed with a jolly nature
I've tried 2 method's the 1st is with a ditto with 31 atk ivs holding a power bracer and a garchomp with 31 Iv's holding a power anklet If my math is correct I have a 33% chance of getting both IV's onto an egg but the jolly nature can take between 12-25 eggs
method no.2 is a garchomp with 31 atk IV's holding a power bracer and a jolly natured garchomp with 31 IV's holding an everstone I've hatched around 50 eggs with each method and my best result is 31 Iv's in attack 22 Iv's in speed with the 2nd method for some reason the everstone garchomp just doesnt want to pass its Iv's am I doing something wrong or have I just been unlucky?
It's all about luck, just keep trying till you get it eventually :) Or if you want to be certain that you'll get it then you should learn how to RNG Abuse, but that's pretty complex and will take a while to pick up so make sure you actually want to learn it before trying, it's not easy. xD If you want more info then check here :)
Old October 24th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Murt93
Battle Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOzzyCake View Post
It's all about luck, just keep trying till you get it eventually Or if you want to be certain that you'll get it then you should learn how to RNG Abuse, but that's pretty complex and will take a while to pick up so make sure you actually want to learn it before trying, it's not easy. xD If you want more info then check here
Sorry I know you posted a link and everything but while I was replying I said I'd ask even though my question will undoubtedly be answered in the link which I will read after I post this is RNG abuse in-game or do I need to use something outside of my DS to do if its quicker(been breeding chomp's for 2-3 days now closest I got is x/31/x/x/x/29) I will definitely try it out

as for my earlier problem, after about an hour of reading I deduced that if 2 parents hold 2 power items the baby has a chance of inheriting only 1 of the parents stats not both and its 100% not 50 so I'm guaranteed 31 in 1 stat after that I just have to hope that the 2nd parent passes on the 2nd 31 so my best chance is power item on one parent and everstone on the other 1 and hope the 2nd stat passes :L I think I have like a 19% chance of that happening but its better than nothing I guess about the 6th garchomp I raised to lvl 50 had 182 atk and 167 speed :/ I would have prefered 180atk instead of speed tie'ing with jolly 252 salamence and non timid floatzel at 169 speed garchomp's only real threat is garchomp,latios,weavile,starmie and scarf'd porygon-z
apologies I am notorius for going off topic but thanks for your help! again! I'll have a look into this RNG thing now
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:18 AM
PiemanFiddy
Spreader of the T-Virus

Hi guys, I have some questions regarding EV training on my Chansey.

I was told a few days ago by a mutual friend of mine that EV'ing Chansey's HP, Defense, and Spec. Attack was the best option.

So.. since then, I've been training on a variety of Geodude and Gastly. I haven't actually started EV'ing the HP values yet, but I plan on doing so later.

I want to know what the deal is regarding how many stats in Defense I get per level-up.

I've trained on at least 40 Geodudes and around 14-15 Gravelers. I've given my Chansey upwards of about 5 Irons, and yet every level-up, I only get +0 or +1... RARELY +2 stats in Defense. Am I missing something here?

I guess my question is... Do your stats in level-up increase the higher the EV of that specific stat is? Because It doesn't seem to have affected my stat to a noticeable amount.

The same applies with my Spec. Attack.. I've trained on about 30 Gastly and around 10-15 Budew and exactly 6 Roselia, and yet my Spec. Attack stat doesn't seem to go any higher than +1 or 2 per level-up. (No, I'm not done EV'ing Spec. Attack yet.)

Since I have finished EV'ing Defense, I have been training on random trainers since with my Blissey (he evolved after the defense EV training), and his Defense stats have gone down once again. I know EV's max at a certain point, so I didn't think I'd need to constantly train on geodudes forever. I just want to know why it's giving me no progress.

Additional Info

Blissey's Nature is Sassy. (Not Great, but also not as bad as others)

I can't remember her IV's, as it wasn't too important to me at the time. Same applies with Nature.

Any help or advice on this issue of mine would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:20 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
The reason why Chansey's Blissey's Defense and Special Attack never went up that much during EV training is because they're naturally low (Chansey has base 5 Defense and base 35 Special Attack).

Also, Blissey is better off investing its EVs in HP, Defense or Special Defense because its Special Attack isn't high enough to inflict significant amounts of damage.

Old October 29th, 2012, 11:47 AM
PiemanFiddy
Spreader of the T-Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
The reason why Chansey's Blissey's Defense and Special Attack never went up that much during EV training is because they're naturally low (Chansey has base 5 Defense and base 35 Special Attack).

Also, Blissey is better off investing its EVs in HP, Defense or Special Defense because its Special Attack isn't high enough to inflict significant amounts of damage.

So then Blissey is a trashy pokemon?

If it's attack is rubbish, and it's Special Attack is apparently not high enough to inflict a significant amount of damage, then what are my options to keep Blissey as a pokemon?

If I'm better off investing in EV's for Defense, and it's just generally low, then should I just not worry about it? Or will it get better over time? You're sending mixed messages.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here