• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

5th Gen Tougher?

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
Do you find BW2 tougher than it's predecessor? I'm not too too far in, however I do seem to be hitting the Pokemon Center more often.

What about you? What do you think and why?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I seriously underestimated not only the Gyms but various normal battles. I enter battle, compare type and level and go "Ok...I got this." a few seconds later I'm cussin up a storm cause I'm getting raped by random Pokemon XD

I almost lost to a Purrloin early in right after getting my Mareep and Riolu XD

Now its an occasional OH SHHH moment.

Sirfetch’d

Yeah, it is tougher. Roxie outleveled me by a level or two. She was tough, but i managed to win.

Greenbeans

Guardian of Le Foret
Years
B/W 2 is a lot tougher then it looked. At first when i decided i was going to buy it i was a little uneasy because i thought it would be too easy like the first game. But its not, it is a lot more difficult, and not just that but when you beat the game there is an option to INCREASE the difficulty, yes increase.

But i dont think that its bad because its tougher, i think its awesome. It adds tons of more game time and makes the game even better. One of my friends was stuck on the 1st gym and it took him 8 tries to finally beat cheren.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
I too am having difficulty. Finding the Gym leaders is harder to find in some areas. I am enjoying it tho. Its not the run of the mill game. The Genesect I got helped me beat that bug bastard type xD.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
It's more difficult, for sure... which is a welcome change. Cheren's last Pokemon took mine down to 1hp (my last one) before I could faint it. ;-;

Years
It's difficult, but I find it to be a bit more manageable than B/W1. I do wish they would fix the amount of experience we get from wild Pokemon and the sudden spike in Gym Trainer's Pokemon levels, though. Even with a Lucky Egg I'm only getting a little over 150 EXP per battle, and I'm about to go into Nimbasa Gym...where Elesa's Pokemon are all level 28-30.

Years
I definitely agree that it's tougher, yes. Been paying several visits to the Pokemon center even before I got my third badge; a lot more than I usually do!

Nerdy Mojo

No Lifer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 28, 2014
its definitely harder which is good because black and white one were the one of the easiest games i had played in a while.

getting a challenge at the FIRST gym on normal makes me wonder what lies ahead on hard mode

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
i dont.... its easier to me and new gym leaders at the beginning i just breezed through them i used action replay to unlock the difficulty setting mode so i could put on challenge mode...now its fun :D

o Pikachu o

Pikachu
Years
First time playing the game and I'm playing on challenge mode. On 8th gym already. It's a bit tougher, the gyms are harder and I underestimated most of them. So far wild trainer battles are incredibly easy and then when I go to battle a gym I get destroyed.

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
They've definitely up'd the AI even on normal mode. Even wild Pokemon seem to be making better decisions (this is probably just luck on the AI's end but it's still frustrating!) The addition of more triple/rotation battles has definitely made playing through harder as well. I'm completely fine with harder difficulty though. Challenges make the game more fun. :3

PkmTrainer

Drain Punch
Years
Playing on challenge mode and yeah it's tougher. Honestly challenge mode is what Pokemon should be like normally.

MikeyDABAWS

Uncle Mikey
Years
I keep running into the issue of getting around 150exp with the lucky egg on when fighting level 40 Pokemon. It seems as if the Wild Pokemon in the game are extremely under level in some areas which causes gaining one level to take up to an hour. depending. I do find the game to be really fun and I keep coming back to it every hour or so that I rage quit. The game does offer a higher difficulty rate in some areas, but personally the gyms have been no problem since they do provide Pokemon that are PERFECT for the next gym in some areas. Examples: Riolu-Cheren,Muk-Burgh,and Klink/Joltik-Skyla (I personally can't put any other example due to starting with Oshawott,but there are many more Pokemon you can get before the gym that are easily trained with the LE or ES before the gym to lower the challenge.)

.Wolfie-kun.

The Raggedy Doctor
Years
I underestimated Cheren's last Pokemon using Work Up constantly. Took me about 5 tries (Was using a slightly underlevelled Riolu) but I finally did it. Looks like I'll be doing some more training. Which I have no problem with :)

Blue Emerald

One of life's great mysteries
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 15, 2022
I underestimated Cheren's last Pokemon using Work Up constantly. Took me about 5 tries (Was using a slightly underlevelled Riolu) but I finally did it. Looks like I'll be doing some more training. Which I have no problem with :)

I honestly was not expecting him to spam Work Up before attempting to massacre my team either (Thankfully he only knocked out one)! Definitely helped to have Mareep on my team, although Cheren's Pokemon never lost a turn from paralysis, haha! But the Speed drop did help. This game does a pretty good job so far with throwing the unexpected my way. After fighting a bunch of Level 9s, I was expecting Cheren's best Pokemon to be Level 11. Nope! XD

Also, I'm surprised by just how tough some of these Pokemon are to capture this early in the game! I finally had to catch an Azurill with a Great Ball after wasting four Poke Balls on them. But now Sunkern is giving me trouble! Even with a Great Ball! This was totally unexpected!

I do love the difficulty so far. It's really nice; makes the game more exciting. :)

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
For some reason, it feels like I'm grinding WAY more than I usually do just to keep up with the game. Kind of annoying since I hate grinding.

mikey

Discord Lead
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I actually think it is harder than BW. I do find myself struggling more than I usually do, but its not that bad.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Oh, yeah. It's definitely a lot more challenging than Black and White. I only just now got the Toxic Badge and the only reason I got it was because I had Genesect.

Back