The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 8th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Killjoy
"He was a laser fish."

Nature: Quiet
Do you find BW2 tougher than it's predecessor? I'm not too too far in, however I do seem to be hitting the Pokemon Center more often.

What about you? What do you think and why?
Old October 8th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
I seriously underestimated not only the Gyms but various normal battles. I enter battle, compare type and level and go "Ok...I got this." a few seconds later I'm cussin up a storm cause I'm getting raped by random Pokemon XD

I almost lost to a Purrloin early in right after getting my Mareep and Riolu XD

Now its an occasional OH SHHH moment.
Old October 8th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Castform

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Castform
Yeah, it is tougher. Roxie outleveled me by a level or two. She was tough, but i managed to win.
Old October 8th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Greenbeans
Guardian of Le Foret
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
B/W 2 is a lot tougher then it looked. At first when i decided i was going to buy it i was a little uneasy because i thought it would be too easy like the first game. But its not, it is a lot more difficult, and not just that but when you beat the game there is an option to INCREASE the difficulty, yes increase.

But i dont think that its bad because its tougher, i think its awesome. It adds tons of more game time and makes the game even better. One of my friends was stuck on the 1st gym and it took him 8 tries to finally beat cheren.

3DS Name: Jericho 3DS Friend Code: 3995 - 6761 - 1080 Old Username: Jerichob10
Old October 8th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Zayphora
Don't mess with the lights...

Nature: Sassy
It is definitely tougher. It took me 3 tries to beat Cheren...might just be that I suck though.
Old October 8th, 2012, 10:19 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Nature: Serious
I too am having difficulty. Finding the Gym leaders is harder to find in some areas. I am enjoying it tho. Its not the run of the mill game. The Genesect I got helped me beat that bug bastard type xD.
Old October 9th, 2012, 05:27 AM
Cordelia
Banned

It's more difficult, for sure... which is a welcome change. Cheren's last Pokemon took mine down to 1hp (my last one) before I could faint it.
Old October 9th, 2012, 06:13 AM
RedJ
[*TRUMPETS INTENSIFY*]

It's difficult, but I find it to be a bit more manageable than B/W1. I do wish they would fix the amount of experience we get from wild Pokemon and the sudden spike in Gym Trainer's Pokemon levels, though. Even with a Lucky Egg I'm only getting a little over 150 EXP per battle, and I'm about to go into Nimbasa Gym...where Elesa's Pokemon are all level 28-30.

Old October 9th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Sheep
foxy foxy whats it gonna be

Nature: Timid
I definitely agree that it's tougher, yes. Been paying several visits to the Pokemon center even before I got my third badge; a lot more than I usually do!
Old October 9th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Nerdy Mojo
No Lifer

Nature: Serious
its definitely harder which is good because black and white one were the one of the easiest games i had played in a while.

getting a challenge at the FIRST gym on normal makes me wonder what lies ahead on hard mode

Old October 9th, 2012, 10:59 AM
SoraTheTruth

Nature: Naive
i dont.... its easier to me and new gym leaders at the beginning i just breezed through them i used action replay to unlock the difficulty setting mode so i could put on challenge mode...now its fun :D
Old October 9th, 2012, 10:01 PM
o Pikachu o
Pikachu

Nature: Relaxed
First time playing the game and I'm playing on challenge mode. On 8th gym already. It's a bit tougher, the gyms are harder and I underestimated most of them. So far wild trainer battles are incredibly easy and then when I go to battle a gym I get destroyed.
Old October 9th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Black Mage
Master of the Elements
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
They've definitely up'd the AI even on normal mode. Even wild Pokemon seem to be making better decisions (this is probably just luck on the AI's end but it's still frustrating!) The addition of more triple/rotation battles has definitely made playing through harder as well. I'm completely fine with harder difficulty though. Challenges make the game more fun. :3
Old October 10th, 2012, 12:18 AM
PkmTrainer
Drain Punch

Nature: Relaxed
Playing on challenge mode and yeah it's tougher. Honestly challenge mode is what Pokemon should be like normally.
Old October 10th, 2012, 10:55 AM
MikeyDABAWS
Unhatched Egg

I keep running into the issue of getting around 150exp with the lucky egg on when fighting level 40 Pokemon. It seems as if the Wild Pokemon in the game are extremely under level in some areas which causes gaining one level to take up to an hour. depending. I do find the game to be really fun and I keep coming back to it every hour or so that I rage quit. The game does offer a higher difficulty rate in some areas, but personally the gyms have been no problem since they do provide Pokemon that are PERFECT for the next gym in some areas. Examples: Riolu-Cheren,Muk-Burgh,and Klink/Joltik-Skyla (I personally can't put any other example due to starting with Oshawott,but there are many more Pokemon you can get before the gym that are easily trained with the LE or ES before the gym to lower the challenge.)
Old October 11th, 2012, 07:58 AM
.Wolfie-kun.
The Raggedy Doctor
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Lonely
I underestimated Cheren's last Pokemon using Work Up constantly. Took me about 5 tries (Was using a slightly underlevelled Riolu) but I finally did it. Looks like I'll be doing some more training. Which I have no problem with

My Pair/Bow ties are cool

All Friend Codes - Add as 'Glyn'
Diamond: 2663-9763-5037|Platinum: 1634-6624-8742|SoulSilver: 0346-1722-8041|
|White: 0218-2733-2414|White 2: 3397-1978-8150|
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Blue Emerald
One of life's great mysteries

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Wolfie-kun. View Post
I underestimated Cheren's last Pokemon using Work Up constantly. Took me about 5 tries (Was using a slightly underlevelled Riolu) but I finally did it. Looks like I'll be doing some more training. Which I have no problem with
I honestly was not expecting him to spam Work Up before attempting to massacre my team either (Thankfully he only knocked out one)! Definitely helped to have Mareep on my team, although Cheren's Pokemon never lost a turn from paralysis, haha! But the Speed drop did help. This game does a pretty good job so far with throwing the unexpected my way. After fighting a bunch of Level 9s, I was expecting Cheren's best Pokemon to be Level 11. Nope! XD

Also, I'm surprised by just how tough some of these Pokemon are to capture this early in the game! I finally had to catch an Azurill with a Great Ball after wasting four Poke Balls on them. But now Sunkern is giving me trouble! Even with a Great Ball! This was totally unexpected!

I do love the difficulty so far. It's really nice; makes the game more exciting.

Last edited by Blue Emerald; October 11th, 2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Necrum
The most dapper evil genius

Nature: Adamant
For some reason, it feels like I'm grinding WAY more than I usually do just to keep up with the game. Kind of annoying since I hate grinding.
Old October 11th, 2012, 01:22 PM
The Sly Fox
Community Supporter

I actually think it is harder than BW. I do find myself struggling more than I usually do, but its not that bad.
Old October 11th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Arago
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Oh, yeah. It's definitely a lot more challenging than Black and White. I only just now got the Toxic Badge and the only reason I got it was because I had Genesect.
Old October 11th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
It is definitely tougher, but the only thing I'm really frustrated about is that I keep losing to crits. :x DynamicPunches from Gurdurrs hit multiple times in a row, some pokemon can toxic + protect for several turns without fail, just crits in general are making the game pretty frustrating.

Also, has anyone else noticed that the trainers suddenly jump in levels? Like there will be Pokemon leveled mid-30s then all of a sudden they'll all become low 40s? Or the main storyline's last battle has Pokemon leveled 50, but then the Champion's are lv 61? I hate grinding

SHOWDOWNGALLERYANIMEPAIR

Old October 11th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Wolfie-kun. View Post
Interesting, I easily murdered Cheren with Riolu + Counter. No trouble at all.

The Chaos Emerald ROM Base (it's gonna take awhile)

DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource NOW COMPLETED
Custom Sugimori-style Pokémon Sprite Resource IN PROGRESS

Non-Pokémon hacks I support:
Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
Old October 12th, 2012, 05:35 AM
Plumpyfoof

Send a message via Skype™ to Plumpyfoof
You know what I am finding myself in the Pokemon centre more often. Normally I'm heaps over levelled by the 4th gym but I'm only 2 levels above.
It's refreshing, makes more interesting.
Old October 12th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Nah, nothing too serious... I gotta try Challenge mode sometimes...
Heck, my Lucario (even as a Riolu) did not faint even once yet...
Maybe it's because I already beat the Japanese version so I knew what to expect but I don't think it's that difficult.
I did have a struggle against Clay in the Japanese version but I had no problems in the USA one.
I do love the increased AI (I believe GF also took some competitive strategies not only for PWT but also for normal NPCs) but I wouldn't mind increasing it further :D

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old October 12th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Charicific
PkMn Trainer

Oh...so it's not only me? I thought its due to my long absence from Pokemon that made me a bit "weaker". I find Gym Leaders and some trainers out-leveling me...something that NEVER happened to me in previous Pokemon games. I DO win, sometimes with struggle, but the fact the Gym Leaders are still out leveling me makes me uncomfortable with my progress .

In the end though, it's quite perfect, I LOVE it when things are slightly more challenging...really interesting. :D

Sponsored Links