The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Technology & Internet

Notices

Technology & Internet The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 2nd, 2012, 04:22 AM
Gerri Shin
  

Nature: Modest
In case anyone wasn't aware, Safari for Windows has been discontinued.

as for my worst browser, I really don't have any real beef against any browser in particular, though my preference of browser is Safari for mac, Firefox (any platform), IE9+ for Windows, Chrome (any Platform), all other browsers.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 05:09 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zet View Post
Actually IE9 blocks 96.6% of malware, while firefox and chrome block under 5% of malware.

http://www.neowin.net/news/study-ie9...r-web-browsers
Great, I was expecting someone to provide Microsoft-based query =)
This is prototype of Microsoft-based query that only shows how Microsoft can affect anything they want =) There's nothing legitimate about provided link =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zet View Post
If you going to say IE, please provide a legitimate reason. Saying it's slow and clunky, and doesn't have a good rendering engine is complete ********. Learn to use IE9/10, and then come back and provide an answer... and that answer would be that it's great.
Slow, ugly, crashing, isn't updated, cannot be customized, still crappy tab browsing (seriously "opening" new window of IE when you actually open new tab? How AWESOME O.O). Should I continue?
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:55 AM
Ice Car
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Jolly
Internet Explorer. You know your browser is bad if you have to make commercials that talk it up despite it being the default browser on most computers afaik.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:12 AM
Azure Rathalδs
the power within
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Safari on windows is awful. Then again, maybe it's just apple telling you to get a Mac product if you want a good browser made by them. :p

IE was garbage, then IE9 happened and Microsoft forgot to make their browser utter **** and actually made it competitive with Firefox or Chrome.
Old October 4th, 2012, 09:58 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
Slow, ugly, crashing, isn't updated, cannot be customized, still crappy tab browsing (seriously "opening" new window of IE when you actually open new tab? How AWESOME O.O). Should I continue?
I think you're referring to IE 6. I used a newer version of IE (the latest I believe) on my mom's computer, it runs, other than a bit clunkier graphics, similar to almost any other good browser out there.

Old October 6th, 2012, 04:31 AM
AnneNick
Booted out - don't be like me!

I have tried quite a few web browsers, but nothing seems to be bad except “Netscape Navigator” it was a horrible experience it takes ages to view even a low quality web site.
Old October 6th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Playful_Weasel
I just want to play!
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
I would have agree with the majority (on Internet Explorer) last year - for me Firefox is gone in my list of browsers.

Speed is good, but the quality really sucks. Many of the add-ons work good with Chrome and IE9, but not compatible with Firefox. Since the update last year, all images have a black ugly background, instead of the white. I followed suggestions to change background, none worked. Image quality is what made me quit from using FireFox. Sorry its just my opinion.

Worst is FireFox, at least for me.
Watchog's #1 Fan!!
PokeMustelid & PokeFelines too!
- FC on Trainer Card
Steel Safari: Magneton - Skarmory - Excadrill

Last edited by Playful_Weasel; October 6th, 2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: fixing minor mistakes
Old October 7th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Youtube video that is relevant to my interests (And my choice of suckish browser) :

I prefer Chrome over most for quite a few reasons:
1. It runs decently on my dinosaur computer
2. It is updated very frequently
3. I can use a portable version of it on the school computers (Firefox seems to be blocked)

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old October 7th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Android Browser, especially 2.x variants. Comes close: Safari on Windows (slower than IE8?!) and any browser on Linux (molasses). They all share something in common - too slow and crash-prone in my use.

Speaking of crashes, there was a time where IE9 was crashing constantly on my laptop. I think either the cache or QuickTime were to blame, since after nuking the cache and uninstalling QuickTime, it magically stopped crashing. Given the "quality" of Safari of Windows...

Also, that parody video turned out to have errors.

Years of bad reputation takes a long time to fix. Remember the time before IE6 got stuck? It used to be good back in 2001.

Last edited by Twiggy; October 7th, 2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old October 8th, 2012, 02:23 PM
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post
Internet Explorer, cos it's so slow and you can't even copy picture URLs!
Actually you can. Right click and click 'properties'.

But, yeah, I hate IE. Though I have to use it while on my mom's laptop (which I'm on right now) because my dad is having trouble downloadinf Firefox on it. I did download Chrome onto is myself, but I don't feel like re-bookmarking everything. I'm too lazy.
Old October 8th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Zet
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 View Post
Actually you can. Right click and click 'properties'.

But, yeah, I hate IE. Though I have to use it while on my mom's laptop (which I'm on right now) because my dad is having trouble downloadinf Firefox on it. I did download Chrome onto is myself, but I don't feel like re-bookmarking everything. I'm too lazy.
You know you can just import those bookmarks, right?
Old October 8th, 2012, 06:32 PM
LividZephyr
Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks

Send a message via AIM to LividZephyr Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LividZephyr
Safari is bad on any platform and needs to burn forever.
Chrome stopped working on my computer and I'm mad about that. I haven't been the only.
I've always hated IE's layout.
I've never tried Opera.

Therefore, I pretty much have to use Firefox. Unless Chrome updated and doesn't crash on me anymore, in which case I'd go back to it...
Old October 10th, 2012, 04:53 AM
SS01
#PoC Collab

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SS01
Windows: IE, Linux: Chrome, OS X: Camino

IE sucks for one reason: ActiveX. Sure, it makes for some cool MSN integration - "Click here to add XXX to your buddy list" - But honestly Microsoft, is allowing a wb browser of all things complete control of the machine a good idea? ><

Chrom(ium)e, well fine on Windows, just doesn't integrate well with Linux. Slooooow. And those ugly Window buttons omg ;;

Camino doesn't really have anything bad about it, but it's just not up to par with Safari in terms of speed.
Old October 10th, 2012, 05:14 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySearcher01 View Post
Windows: IE, Linux: Chrome, OS X: Camino

IE sucks for one reason: ActiveX. Sure, it makes for some cool MSN integration - "Click here to add XXX to your buddy list" - But honestly Microsoft, is allowing a wb browser of all things complete control of the machine a good idea? ><
ActiveX's also what make plugins and BHOs work in the first place in IE, and is actually required for parts of it to work properly, especially third-party plugins such as Adobe Flash Player and (sorta) Microsoft Silverlight. Technically, you can force disable any ActiveX usage with security settings and/or ActiveX Filtering (the latter allows unblocking on a per-site basis). That said, recent versions of IE will throw up tons of warnings before allowing you to run unsigned controls, if not outright blocking them.

Quote:
Chrom(ium)e, well fine on Windows, just doesn't integrate well with Linux. Slooooow. And those ugly Window buttons omg ;;
Note that many browsers suffer from integration and performance penalties on Linux, moreso than OS X, or especially from Windows.

Quote:
Camino doesn't really have anything bad about it, but it's just not up to par with Safari in terms of speed.
Speaking of speed, I've always wondered why other browsers on OS X are unable to take advantage of OpenGL rendering on OS X, and why every browser can't take advantage of any acceleration on Linux. Funny thing, on the Windows side, everyone is now capable of using Direct2D or Direct3D 9 (less efficient and worse text rendering compared to former) except for Safari, which is discontinued.
Old October 12th, 2012, 02:14 AM
Arago
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Internet Explorer sucks, followed by Opera, followed by (for Mac) Firefox, or (for Windows) Safari.

I think it's cute how Internet Explorer is still trying, though. Bless their television ads. Always gives me a good laugh when I see one of those on TV.
Old October 12th, 2012, 02:36 AM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Not a fan of, and never have been, of IE.
All these adverts for 'Faster, better IE browsing' are just too late, imo. I have had too many problems with the browser, so I just stick with Chrome.
Old October 12th, 2012, 04:01 AM
AWsquared
It's another wolf bite.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to AWsquared
I'm going with IE and Safari (especially on iPod/iPhone and Windows). I'm gonna be honest, I tried IE9, and wasn't that impressed. I still find it clunky and it's not updated as much as the other browsers. Safari on Windows never seems to work at all and on iPhone/iPod it runs really slow.

Mega Sceptile and Treecko for life yo.
DeviantArt |Tumblr | Art Gallery| Ask Me Stuff |Paired to | Avatar source:[x]
Old October 12th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Hannah
exceptionally ordinary

Internet Explorer, definitely. It's so slow, plus no one uses it anymore. You're weird if you still use IE.

i ii iii iv
you're just as
sane as i am

Old October 15th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Wobbachomp
Donator Tier 1

Nature: Adamant
NetScape lol. IE sucks too.
Old October 16th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

I've always wondered what would happen if we were to force someone that thinks IE is the worst browser to use IE10 on Windows 8 for a week. The Next Web, if I remember correctly, had exactly one experiment that is similar - give up Chrome and use IE9 for a week.

I think for Internet Explorer to save its reputation, or whatever there is left of it, it needs to pull an Outlook.com - drop the old name and interface entirely. Maybe that is what they need to get their rep out of the gutter. It's kind of sad to see something that used to be good become bad, and then having a very hard time to redeem itself.

On the topic itself, after trying out Google Chrome on my newly-bought dual-core tablet... Well, throw in Google Chrome into "slow browsers". Really, mobile IE9 is faster... on just one core. Hope Jelly Bean smooths the kinks out.

*rant over*
Old October 16th, 2012, 04:35 AM
boneeeta
Unhatched Egg

Internet explorer is thousand times better than opera. Opera is suck.
Old October 16th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Nomine
サトセレ

Haha, Internet Explorer. A given, I guess. But yeah, I just haven't had a good experience with that browser; it's too slow and laggy for my liking. Way back when I used it, Netscape wasn't my favorite to use either.

My Role-Playing Twitter Accounts follow!
Writer
Brock
Calem
Old October 16th, 2012, 07:52 PM
YungKnowledge
Kigo & Jori Shipper

Nature: Relaxed
I have been spoil by Google Chrome but I have never ever ever ever liked Internet Explore. In school because I was in such a Mac heavy school district (it was always a 2nd choice but I always use safari) I didn't have start using Internet Explore till college. Man I dislike IE so much it just isn't pleasing to use.

Old October 17th, 2012, 12:02 AM
PokemonMasters
Always Remember Forever&After

i hate internet explore. always have always will.

+ForeverDash on PC's Battle Server | Pair | VM/PM |Partner In Crime
Old October 19th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Awesomepulls
Unhatched Egg

I think IE got a bad rep over the years from newer and better browsers being released to compete with it. It got to the point people only used IE to download their preferred browser. I'm sure they learned and made it a better browser overall to use but it will take a while to get rid of the reputation it has. Ive seen Opera id probably vote that as the worst even over IE haha.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links