The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 11th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Azureth

Nature: Calm
I get lots of flack from friends and such. Most are the "The only good ones were R/B/Y, wasn't 150 enough?" or "Pokemon is just for kids, are you a kid?" etc.

Just yesterday when I went with a friend to pick Black 2 up once I picked it out he started laughing saying "You're into kiddie games? Do you really like games for kids?". He went on for about 5 minutes.

How do you deal with it?
Old October 11th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Drew
erase the noise.
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I've liked Pokemon for so many years now that all of my friends know that I like it still, and they really don't mind. Not all of them like it, but they don't give me flack for it. I've got more people that I'm meeting via conventions now, and that group doesn't really know that I like it, but if it ever came up I would just tell me straight up. XD Over the years I've had co-workers or students poke at me for it, but I just kind of laugh with them.

"What're you playin'?"
"It's just a Pokemon game."
"Hahaha, you play that stuff still? omg"
"Yeeeep, just kind of always stuck with it. xD"
"Oh, okay. What'ev."
is how it usually kind of goes.
Old October 12th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Powalen
the Dark Sovereign

Most of the friends that laugh at you probably play Pokemon or some other game they just won't admit it. They feel by laughing at you no one will ever suspect that they play Pokemon as well.Source:Experience.

To answer your question, I just ignore it. They don't sign my paycheck and will never have any impact on my life after school.

"By force of will!"
Old October 12th, 2012, 09:05 AM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
My method is simple enough, I don't bring it up around people who aren't like minded. If they aren't interested that's cool, if they are that's great. I feel no need to bring up a topic nobody cares about so I generally don't get much flack for it.
Old October 12th, 2012, 09:14 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I try to defend myself that Pokemon isn't for kids when that happens. That, or I ignore the teasers.

Old October 12th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Spaniard.King
spain does it for real

Nature: Serious
yeah am 17 and sometimes my guy friends kind of joke with me that i still play the pokemon games, even my dad jokes around about it with me. but i really honestly dont care for there comments. its like what effect does it really have. i just tell them to shut up and i ignore it after that. but if they get really annoying i would drop one as a friend cause i dont need there commentary.
Old October 12th, 2012, 05:23 PM
LividZephyr
Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks

Send a message via AIM to LividZephyr Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LividZephyr
How do I deal with it, you ask?

Spoiler:
I don't. It's not worth dealing with, and is best ignored.
Old October 12th, 2012, 05:28 PM
AChipOffTheOldBrock
Too Legit To Quit

Nature: Naughty
I usually keep the fact that I like pokemon to myself but if somebody finds out and tries to make fun of me for it I dont really care. If they played pokemon as a kid usually they'll understand but if they dont I just say "**** you, Pokemons fun." and move on. It works.
Old October 12th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Hikamaru
there is a truth
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I've had people ask why I still play Pokemon at age 20, however I tend to ignore them.
Old October 12th, 2012, 09:14 PM
The Grubby Pup
Where's mah shiny squeaky ball

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to The Grubby Pup
Why are peoples so judgmental? D':

Seriously tho, how do I deal with it...meh...I don't really.

...I mean, why would I care how peoples felt on what games I play? If I did, I wouldn't had brought/played the game in the first place. I played Magical Starsign before and I thought it was a pretty good game. >_<

But hey, tho...They says it's a kid's game...well, good for them. You're still gonna play it regardless, right? So, whatever to what they say.
Old October 13th, 2012, 04:06 AM
chella182
Drowzee

Nature: Rash
Thankfully most people I know (like on my Facebook and stuff) either like Pokémon too, or they know plenty of people who do so they don't find it "weird" enough to tease about. People probably do laugh about it a bit when I'm not there, but I don't really care. Everyone's got a hobby, and Pokémon is mine. A lot of people collect stuff, and I collect Pokémon stuff and Star Wars Lego. People can think what they want.

Old October 13th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Seki
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
Fortunately for me, my friends still play Pokemon on their phones (using emulators), but most of them played untill 3rd Gen. So, most of them wouldn't bother even I played all they way untill 5th Gen, they even asked me whats new about 5th Gen.

But if I ever come across a friend that makes fun of me if I play Pokemon, I will just have to ignore them, they will only give up making fun of you. But if they still don't accept for who you are and keep on making fun of you because you play Pokemon, I would suggest that you find new friends.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old October 13th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Rivvon
Unburden Belly Drum
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
The Youtuber Shofu had a really good response to this question once, and it's exactly what I do as well: just don't respond to it. If you don't have a reaction, the bullies don't have a reason to keep teasing you. The simplest response I like to give is "Okay" and a shrug.
Old October 13th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Hannah
exceptionally ordinary

I just shrug it off. I don't really care whether I get teased or not. I love Pokemon, and no one can ever make me stop loving it. Bully or no bully.

i ii iii iv
you're just as
sane as i am

Old October 13th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Plumpyfoof

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Plumpyfoof
I usually avoid it as a topic around people.
There are a few of my friends who also play but they're the same in public.

I do cop quite a lot from my parents which is odd. But yeah I end up telling them they're immature for not liking and they get confused so I win.
Not a bad strategy.
Old October 13th, 2012, 09:26 PM
#isthenumbersign

I have literally one friend who plays Pokemon, so all my other friends will tease me a lot. I don't mind, it's not like they're trying to hurt my feelings or anything, so I kinda just ignore them since they'll stop after awhile. For the couple idiots that persist in pestering me, I'll just retaliate with something that they do.
Old October 14th, 2012, 03:54 AM
Nearsighted king of Ice
We'll get to that tomorrow

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Nearsighted king of Ice Send a message via Yahoo to Nearsighted king of Ice
well there was this guy who said "you're in senior high school and you're still playing pokemon...what are you?!" it didn't really bother me...I made friends far and wide thanks to Pokemon and all he has is a pack of jerks... basically I just ignore them.

Make sense? Oh, what fun is there in making sense?

Black FC: 1592-5761-9212
Pokemon X FC: 2921-9174-9000
Old October 14th, 2012, 04:17 AM
chris1067
Unhatched Egg

just ignore them and do not care what they think about you
Old October 14th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Bubbles987
Ace Trainer

Usually like:
Teacher: OK CLASS! TIME TO INTRODUCE OURSELVES EVEN THOUGH YOU'VE KNOWN EACH OTHER SINCE FIRST GRADE!
Me (thinking): Don't pick me first...don't pick me first....
Teacher: BUBBLES! Y DUNT YEW GO FURST?! TROLOLOLOL
Me: Um....My name is Bubbles. i like to draw and play pokemon, i guess.
*kids start giggling and smiling at each other*
Me (blushing a little): they are...fun games...*SHAME*
*Teacher goes blabbing to the next student*
*kids still giggling*
Me (to stupid popular chicks): What are YOU laughing at? Hm?! *infamous evil stare*

....That's exactly how it goes~! :D

BW2 Friend Code:
(Name): Skye (FC): 5072-1954-4791
Old October 14th, 2012, 08:31 PM
aquavi
scintillating starmie

I sit around at my uni playing Pokemon all the time and nobody's ever said a word.

I guess if anyone did bring it up I would shrug them off and try to get them to quit talking to me. All of my friends and coworkers either play Pokemon themselves or think it's cool that Pokemon is one of my hobbies.

I try to distance myself from noisy jerks :P
Old October 14th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Nomine
サトセレ

Most of the time when people ask what I'm playing, I just tell them the truth. Many times, however, the people who berate me for playing Pokémon play other "kids" or other games like Pokémon themselves, such as Yu-Gi-Oh or things like that. I just find it a bit funny when they suggest I play Yu-Gi-Oh or Bakugan or something like that instead. I can deal with the criticism though. I play what I want! xD

My Role-Playing Twitter Accounts follow!
Writer
Brock
Calem
Old October 14th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Killjoy
"He was a laser fish."

Nature: Quiet
It doesn't happen. Most people just note the fact that they wouldn't have guessed me to be a Pokémon person. I'm 18, male, and going into the military. Pokémon IS for everybody though lol
Old October 14th, 2012, 09:04 PM
ARTPOP
Unhatched Egg

Send a message via Skype™ to ARTPOP
I'm in college now, and I don't hang out on campus, so I don't get any crap about it.
I work at an after school program with elementary kids, though, and whenever I wear my POkemon shirts, they're all "OMG POKEMONNNN" or "WOW YOU STILL PLAY POKEMON?? :DDD" so I guess it's a good thing.
Old October 15th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Ihsman07

I never have really gotten any trouble from others poking fun at me for still liking it lately, but when I did, I just didn't care what they thought. But what I always said was that I will always be a Pokemon fan because it was really popular when I was a kid and I'll always be a kid at heart. Not to mention Pokemon is the second largest video game franchise, last I checked, under Mario.
Old October 15th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Chrisaur

Nature: Modest
When I was in school, waaay back when Pokemon first came out, I was about 14 and Pokemon were cool. Everyone was actually into.
So no one made of eachother.
And now that I am 26, I have friends who loves playing games,whether it's xbox, playstation or PC, we're all into different types of game.
Im the one who's into Pokemon. And they don't make fun of me.

My advice to deal with it will be : everyone of us is unique, we have our own hobbies and interests. Ours is Pokemon. It's not childish or for kiddies. It's an interest.
The haters should deal with it.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links