Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 13th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Lugia_Da_Boss
Togepi

Advertise here
I'm having problems with Advanced Text. I can't delete text from the game. So far all attempts at it have just led to the text being removed from Advanced Text but still being ingame. So, how do I properly delete text? Do I just remove all the text from one of those files things(like "Rival 1") instead of deleting the file? Or would that cause a blank textbox to appear ingame?
Old October 13th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Rumille
Togepi

So, I'm using the JPAN Hacked Engine for Fire Red. Mainly, because I need to use his Runtime Trainer Customization function. I kinda figured out how it works through the .doc, but I have a problem with the way it works. I used the Overworld Editor - Rebirth Edition to edit the basic hero sprites (hero standing and hero walking). I figured that by the time I use my Runtime Trainer Customization script, I still don't have my Running Shoes, Bike, VS Seeker or Fishing Rod, so why change those sprites. I wanted to use the first command (Setvar 0x4054) to change my walking/standing Hero to the original look. I would change the look of a random NPC to that of the original Hero, so that when I use the 'Setvar 0x4054' command, my hero would have the original look again. To pre-test it, I just used the 'Setvar 0x4054'-command on a random NPC. I gave myself the Running Shoes, to see how it would look. When I went outside and ran, I didn't get the old Hero look though, it was the random NPC 'gliding'. No running animation, just the basic standing sprite moving through the screen.

How can I get it to work that I start the game with my 'new' Hero look, then have the command change my appearance, so that the rest of the game I look like the old/normal Hero?
Old October 13th, 2012, 09:04 AM
itman
Back to ROM hacking. :D

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumille View Post
So, I'm using the JPAN Hacked Engine for Fire Red. Mainly, because I need to use his Runtime Trainer Customization function. I kinda figured out how it works through the .doc, but I have a problem with the way it works. I used the Overworld Editor - Rebirth Edition to edit the basic hero sprites (hero standing and hero walking). I figured that by the time I use my Runtime Trainer Customization script, I still don't have my Running Shoes, Bike, VS Seeker or Fishing Rod, so why change those sprites. I wanted to use the first command (Setvar 0x4054) to change my walking/standing Hero to the original look. I would change the look of a random NPC to that of the original Hero, so that when I use the 'Setvar 0x4054' command, my hero would have the original look again. To pre-test it, I just used the 'Setvar 0x4054'-command on a random NPC. I gave myself the Running Shoes, to see how it would look. When I went outside and ran, I didn't get the old Hero look though, it was the random NPC 'gliding'. No running animation, just the basic standing sprite moving through the screen.

How can I get it to work that I start the game with my 'new' Hero look, then have the command change my appearance, so that the rest of the game I look like the old/normal Hero?
Two ways you could do this. (Second is better)

One would be to make the "original" hero (OW #0) you're edited hero so you start out with it automatically, and then change it to the normal one when you want.

Second, if you want to keep hero #0 the original OW (for reasons such as when you're naming your character, this is the one that shows up, etc...actualy this option is better), make the first map you go to a black screen that covers the player (Edit one of the tiles in any palette to include a black tile that isn't a background). Then make a level script in that black map that will setvar 0x4054 0x0 and then warp you to your original starting map, and then continue from there.

Since JPAN's hack doesn't work with Start Map Chooser Advance, I would just Map 4.1 (starting map) the black map, and then just edit the map that was there to another one (CTRL + right click for grosser block so you can completely copy the old map).
Old October 13th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Rumille
Togepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by itman View Post
Two ways you could do this. (Second is better)

One would be to make the "original" hero (OW #0) you're edited hero so you start out with it automatically, and then change it to the normal one when you want.

Second, if you want to keep hero #0 the original OW (for reasons such as when you're naming your character, this is the one that shows up, etc...actualy this option is better), make the first map you go to a black screen that covers the player (Edit one of the tiles in any palette to include a black tile that isn't a background). Then make a level script in that black map that will setvar 0x4054 0x0 and then warp you to your original starting map, and then continue from there.

Since JPAN's hack doesn't work with Start Map Chooser Advance, I would just Map 4.1 (starting map) the black map, and then just edit the map that was there to another one (CTRL + right click for grosser block so you can completely copy the old map).
I tried the first way, but that caused the problem of my Hero 'gliding' after using setvar. The running sprites didn't copy, since (when you use Overworld Editor you'll see it very well) most OW-sprites don't have the running animation programmed. The second way could work, I kinda thought of that (the use the script before anything else-method), but didn't really knew how. Using black tiles seems like a good idea.

And SMCA doesn't work with JPAN's hack, but I already knew which map was going to be the starter map, so I first used SMCA, thén JPAN's hack. Seems to work.

I'll try your method, I'll let you know if it worked.
Old October 13th, 2012, 09:36 AM
LugiaMZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
I don't exactly know what are you asking but if you are asking why the OW changes when you import the original Raichu it's because you're importing Raichu without the new pallete.
You don't have many palletes, though so I would be careful with importing palletes.
After I import the original Raichu to my rom, it's became the after Raichu at my rom, I wonder is the Rom missing some palletes? If it I can add palletes to the Rom?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english, Thanks.
Old October 13th, 2012, 11:56 AM
itman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugiaMZ View Post
After I import the original Raichu to my rom, it's became the after Raichu at my rom, I wonder is the Rom missing some palletes? If it I can add palletes to the Rom?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english, Thanks.
Use NSE (the older version).
Import the palette and the not the image.
Go to Edit>Palette and look at the first color (top left).
Change that to the background color and change the background color wherever that is with the color you just replaced (example, if 0000 was in the top left, and the intended background is C439, swap the two wherever they may be. So the first color would be C439 and the old C439 becomes 0000).
Export the blank image with that palette.
Open that up in paint.
Post your Raichu in it.
Then re import.

BY THE WAY if you are using Windows 7, the new paint does NOT support indexed images. If you want to know how to put the old version of paint on your computer, ask me (since it's impossible to do any of this with Windows 7 paint).
Old October 13th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Skara
THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.

Nature: Timid
If I patch the hacked engine to my almost fully edited rom, will anything terrible happen?
I'VE LEFT THIS ACCOUNT. Here is my new profile
Old October 13th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Lugia_Da_Boss
Togepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skara View Post
If I patch the hacked engine to my almost fully edited rom, will anything terrible happen?
Best way to find out is to make a copy of your rom and patch the copy.
Old October 13th, 2012, 08:00 PM
itman

Quote:
Just use the tool included and pick the space it wants you to use. That's what it was made for.
Old October 13th, 2012, 08:12 PM
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tajaros
Quote:
No, nothing horrible will happen the only thing that will happen is all the old scripts from FireRed will be gone but, as for everything else nothing bad will happen... But, you may be using the old scripts so it's best to keep a backup of your Rom. Just In Case you don't like the result...
Old October 14th, 2012, 04:40 AM
Rumille
Togepi

Is there a good Hex editing for Pokemon Fire Red tutorial out there? Want to get it all figured out.

I remember reading a post here which explained perfectly how to use pointers in Hex Editor (changing 900000 to 00 00 90 08 or something like that for example).

Last edited by Rumille; October 14th, 2012 at 04:48 AM.
Old October 14th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Lugia_Da_Boss
Togepi

How do I delete text in Advanced Text without leaving a blank textbox in game where the text used to be?
Old October 14th, 2012, 06:39 AM
LugiaMZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by itman View Post
Use NSE (the older version).
Import the palette and the not the image.
Go to Edit>Palette and look at the first color (top left).
Change that to the background color and change the background color wherever that is with the color you just replaced (example, if 0000 was in the top left, and the intended background is C439, swap the two wherever they may be. So the first color would be C439 and the old C439 becomes 0000).
Export the blank image with that palette.
Open that up in paint.
Post your Raichu in it.
Then re import.

BY THE WAY if you are using Windows 7, the new paint does NOT support indexed images. If you want to know how to put the old version of paint on your computer, ask me (since it's impossible to do any of this with Windows 7 paint).
Thanks you ! Finally I fixed this problem, thanks.
Old October 14th, 2012, 06:55 AM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumille View Post
Is there a good Hex editing for Pokemon Fire Red tutorial out there? Want to get it all figured out.

I remember reading a post here which explained perfectly how to use pointers in Hex Editor (changing 900000 to 00 00 90 08 or something like that for example).
Here is a simple explanation of how GBA pointers work:
http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wi...vance_Pointers

What you also want to know that the pointers in every GBA pokemon game are little-endian. Not sure whether I should link you directly into that tutorial but whatever. If moderators happen to remove the link, search "datacrystal pointer" through google.
My Rom Hack

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old October 14th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Andrut
Collecting dust since 1898

What's the palette offset for this box in the battle screen [in Emerald]?

Also, is there a different way to change the regional Dex in Emerald and Fire Red than changing the National Dex? It makes the descriptions switch up.
Old October 14th, 2012, 12:48 PM
HackandBack
Unhatched Egg

I have been using unLZ to add Victini's sprite (from the 64x64 sprite resource here) to the game. While the normal sprite looks fine, the back sprite's palette looks off. Help?
Old October 14th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Lugia_Da_Boss
Togepi

@HackandBack: The backsprite that you import has to be the shiny one. Don't ask me why.
Old October 14th, 2012, 01:29 PM
flaredragon00
The Fire-type Octillery!

Nature: Bashful
Hello, I have a question about how to edit Egg Moves.

I have Gengar in the Fairy Egg Group now, and I want Clefairy to learn Night Shade as an Egg move.

Thank you for your time.
This fire burns in water......
Old October 14th, 2012, 03:06 PM
poisonhearts628
Unhatched Egg

I am pretty sure my problem is tied into the warp animation. Does anyone know if there is an offset for the animation or something? I am kinda new to this.
Old October 15th, 2012, 04:01 PM
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugia_Da_Boss View Post
How do I delete text in Advanced Text without leaving a blank textbox in game where the text used to be?
You can't do that through A-Text alone - You will have to use a script editor to open the script and remove that particular msgbox command entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoax View Post
What's the palette offset for this box in the battle screen [in Emerald]?

Also, is there a different way to change the regional Dex in Emerald and Fire Red than changing the National Dex? It makes the descriptions switch up.
No answer for your second question, but you can find the palette at 0xC004E5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaredragon00 View Post
Hello, I have a question about how to edit Egg Moves.

I have Gengar in the Fairy Egg Group now, and I want Clefairy to learn Night Shade as an Egg move.

Thank you for your time.
Hopefully this tool will help you out (If you're using a third gen ROM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonhearts628 View Post
Alright. First time post here. I am having a few problems but I am pretty sure they are linked to the same cause, I just don't know how to go about fixing it. 1) When you enter cycling road entrance arrows appear between my character. 2) When exiting buildings a portion of my character's head appears at the bottom of the door instead of the arrow. 3) When surfing/flying my character's sprite splits when entering/exiting the surf/fly animation. Any Ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonhearts628 View Post
I am pretty sure my problem is tied into the warp animation. Does anyone know if there is an offset for the animation or something? I am kinda new to this.
Have you checked how those frames look in a OW editor like NSE or Overworld Editor Rebirth?

If you have and they seem fine then somewhere in your editing you've modified the code which tells the game how to load in sprites. Your player sprite's location within the RAM when loaded has been changed somehow, which is resulting in it overwriting other sprites that pop up (which is clearly shown in your second example). You can try to change that part of the code in your ROM to the way it was originally (but I have no idea how to do that), so a more realistic solution is to go back to an earlier backup file which doesn't have those problems if you have one and restart your progress from there.
Old October 15th, 2012, 04:12 PM
PunsAreFun
Unhatched Egg

Hey all, I'm having 2 problems (Gen 3 Hacking).
How do I stop a title from showing when I enter a cave?
Why is it that I can run in one cave but not another when their map options are identical?
Old October 15th, 2012, 07:08 PM
awipe1

Is there a way to create new routes in advanced map?
I have routes 1-25 but when I create a new map and give it a new route, it will just change the name of the map that I originally used.
Can someone give me very detailed instructions on how to create a new route. Please and thank you.
Old October 16th, 2012, 03:04 AM
Sensui
Ascend

Nature: Quiet
This'll sound noob-ish, but here goes.

How can I see all the raw data of the 1st gen games for myself? Just like you have Crystal Tile 2, which opens DS games and displays every hex in their respective offsets, is there a way to see the data and offsets in R/B/Y? I want to mess around with it myself instead of using tools but don't understand how to manually edit single data bits.(I think they're called bits...? Sorry.)
http://www.pokecommunity.com/signaturepics/sigpic292140_1.gif
Old October 16th, 2012, 07:36 AM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensui View Post
This'll sound noob-ish, but here goes.

How can I see all the raw data of the 1st gen games for myself? Just like you have Crystal Tile 2, which opens DS games and displays every hex in their respective offsets, is there a way to see the data and offsets in R/B/Y? I want to mess around with it myself instead of using tools but don't understand how to manually edit single data bits.(I think they're called bits...? Sorry.)
I don't know how DS roms work exactly but I believe the rom structure is organized into smaller parts. This is not the case in GB and GBA rom files so you're going to have to "play with" 1MB roms (that R/B/Y are) as their own.

A hex and an assembly editor would be the tools you're mostly looking for. See Skeetendo Inc. for more documentation on R/B/Y.
My Rom Hack

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old October 16th, 2012, 02:17 PM
MrMasterMrDoom
Unhatched Egg

Where is the data for mixed records stored in RSE?
I want to add the secret bases from my physical copy into my ROM save, and there's no real convenient way to do this, as far as I know.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here