The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 11th, 2012 (03:51 PM).
Pppgggr
Cheese, for everyone!

Nature: Calm
When I was younger, Cartoon Network was my favorite channel, and even today at the age 14, I can look back at episodes of some of the older shows it used to host like Looney Toons or Dexter's Laboratory and still enjoy myself to some degree. The Cartoon Network of the past also had a brilliant form of Toonami, easily trumping the quality of the Toonami Adult Swim has given us today.

The new shows that inhabit the channel, however, are complete failures, in my opinion. Shows like the Regular Show and Adventure Time are incredibly stupid and annoying to watch, the annoying Orange is a HORRIBLE attempt at turning an internet show into a TV show, like Fred, and MAD is a weak attempt at making a children's version of Robot Chicken.

I've heard some people enjoy adventure time at the very least, but I'm unaware of much of a fanbase for some of the other shows on the channel. Is it just me, or do you guys think Cartoon Network has dug itself into a hole that it can't climb out of?
Old October 11th, 2012 (04:31 PM).
LividZephyr
Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks

Send a message via AIM to LividZephyr Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LividZephyr
We're all likely going to agree to this. Although several of their newer shows seem really stupid - the same can be said for Nickelodeon - part of it is nostalgia and what WE grew up with. What would the kids of today think about OUR favorite shows? What will they think in 15 years?

I don't really watch TV anymore because the quality has dropped all around in my mind. Shows just aren't produced to the same quality - and maybe I've just seen enough of it. That could also be a contributing factor. Maybe TV in general has just run out of original ideas...
Old October 11th, 2012 (04:38 PM).
CourageHound
Trust & Courage. Nothing More

Nature: Lonely
I agree whole heartedly that what cartoon network is giving us today is nowhere near up to par of what it used to be. Cartoon Network used to be my 'go-to' channel when i was bored. But now when i flip(which i dont get to do much too often now) on the tv all i see or shows that make me shake my head and flip the channel. I'm thouroghly disapointed with the Live Action shows that have reared their head on cartoon network...which....are just terrible. Not to mention its CARTOON Network! Not Live Action network .

Well...as for shows left on CN that are good; How to Train your Dragon recently aired which is awesome. However, the two shows you mentioned Regular Show and Adventure time I actually enjoy then due to me always gettin a good laugh reguardless of the episode, although its a personal preference thing I guess. But I must agree that shows like MAD, Fred, and LIVE ACTION shows need to go. Like quick.

Kinda reminds me of that Toon Disney/Jetix(awesomeness) transition to Disney XD(made me weep a bit at the first look at their shows).
Old October 11th, 2012 (05:38 PM).
Sandshrew4
Also known as Sandwich

Nature: Careful
I hate every show on cartoon network. I used to like pokemon but lately thats gone downhill. Other than that, nope, i hate every show.
Old October 11th, 2012 (06:24 PM).
Mario The World Champion
Slice through the evil, Gundam
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
This is why I watch my favorite shows on DVD.

Banner made by Angela || Pair: Lucy
Friends: Lucy, Angela, Jen, Sammi-san, Jeremy the Sweetie, Signomi
Fanfiction.net page || DeviantART Page || Twitter || NaNoWriMo Page

Ash Ketchum: Formula One Driver
The Pokemon Tower's Best In Category Crossover Award Winner October 2005
3DS Friend Code: 0232-8258-5085
Friend Safari: - Meditite, Pancham, Riolu
Shiny Value: 1672
Old October 11th, 2012 (08:17 PM).
The Grubby Pup
Where's mah shiny squeaky ball

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to The Grubby Pup
well, to be honest the only things I watch on Cartoon Network; beside Adult Swim...Well, is Looney Tunes Show, Adventure Time...That Dragon show and Regular Show and that's only when they're new episodes.

...I've been stop watching Pokemon on there...And da rest of the stuff that airs on that...pfft.
Old October 11th, 2012 (08:20 PM).
Empire
Ask me what I did with my life
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Empire
I agree with you, CN has turned into a shadow of it's former self.
What's adventure time meant to be anyway? It portrays itself as a kid show yet it has mature humour.
Old October 11th, 2012 (08:57 PM).
Livewire
The Young Wolf

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
It fell into a pit a long time ago after Toonami's Golden Age/when Toonami died. Hasn't been the same since.
Old October 11th, 2012 (10:21 PM).
Drew
erase the noise.
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by LividZephyr View Post
We're all likely going to agree to this. Although several of their newer shows seem really stupid - the same can be said for Nickelodeon - part of it is nostalgia and what WE grew up with. What would the kids of today think about OUR favorite shows? What will they think in 15 years?

I don't really watch TV anymore because the quality has dropped all around in my mind. Shows just aren't produced to the same quality - and maybe I've just seen enough of it. That could also be a contributing factor. Maybe TV in general has just run out of original ideas...
This.

I used to enjoy plenty of CN shows, but if those same shows were on today, I wouldn't watch them, I'd probably find them stupid. So I say that about todays shows, but plenty of younger kids are watching them without complaining.

So my biased opinion is that, yes, CN isn't as good now, but it's really about the same as it was before, I'm just not growing up with what's airing on it now.
Old October 12th, 2012 (04:20 AM).
Hannah
exceptionally ordinary

Nature: Calm
I liked the old Cartoon Network. Especially the Powerpuff Girls. Now the only thing worth watching on CN is Adventure Time, and it's my favorite show.

i ii iii iv
you're just as
sane as i am

Old October 12th, 2012 (09:48 PM).
TrollShammy80
Loved all Pokemon Since 98'

Nature: Quiet
Only thing worth watching is Pokemon and Adult Swim the ocassional Looney Tunes show

Proud MLP Fan/NCIS/Ghost Hunters/Ghost Adventures/CSI and many others
RIP: Step Mom 7/17/53-7/2/13
RIP: Uncle Jesse ???-1/3/2014
"I do breed for IVs/Ev's...but I always remember to have fun playing Pokemon"
"I always play for fun on my emulators and Y version only"
www.youtube.com/trollshammy80
Old October 13th, 2012 (06:20 PM). Edited October 13th, 2012 by Ryoutarou.
Ryoutarou
Community Supporter

There are a few good shows, but if I'm bored and flicking through channels, it's not one I'm likely to find something I enjoy playing on. The big shows I still love and watch are The Looney Tunes Show, Green Lantern, Young Justice, and Adventure Time...which is an acquired taste, but it's a ton of fun. I think what I dislike the most about CN is their scheduling practices with shows I like. The entire DC Nation block was taken off the air today after just two weeks back from summer hiatus and won't be returning until January. Apparently it was a last minute thing too as even the show runners for Young Justice and Green Lantern had no idea what was going on.
Old October 13th, 2012 (06:59 PM).
HoyNeeks
Unhatched Egg

The only show I like now is Adventure Time, but yeah it's pretty stupid now. Especially the Regular Show, I HATE that show soooo much.

www.youtube.com/hoyneeks
Old October 13th, 2012 (11:05 PM).
YungKnowledge
Kigo & Jori Shipper

Nature: Relaxed
I still like Cartoon Network but I don't like every show. I watch Adventure Time, Regular Show, Adult Swim, Toonami and some time The new Loony Tunes. But I stay up most nights or wake up really early to watch the classic Loony Tunes. I'm the same age of the network and I miss the older stuff like Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, The Sunday block when they used to show classic 70s cartoons, A Pup Name Scooby Doo, The Flintstones, and The Jetsons.

Old October 26th, 2012 (05:17 PM).
Doppelgänger
Community Supporter

CN is a train wreck now. Seriously, all the shows on there now are horrid. I think they try too hard to be funny. I miss the old CN, but I think the new CN is a result of the new generation of kids coming in, and maybe thats why a lot of older fans dont like it anymore.
Old October 26th, 2012 (05:22 PM).
Mochi

Nature: Sassy
Adventure Time and The Regular Show are actually the best cartoons on right now. They're actually as mature as some of the old cartoons we were given us, especially Adventure Time which has a lot of really adult hidden themes. The Looney Tunes Show is also really good to me, but a lot of people in the nostalgia box reject it after 5 minutes.

That Gumball show is actually pretty good too, very reminiscent of the older cartoons.

I think most of the posters in this thread are only hating on the new stuff for nostalgic reasons, tbh.

But I do agree The Annoying Orange and several other shows do suck. Doesn't mean I liked every single show back then, though.

Old October 26th, 2012 (05:28 PM).
Doppelgänger
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzaleaLightning View Post
I think most of the posters in this thread are only hating on the new stuff for nostalgic reasons, tbh..
I think this also, but for me, its based on the quality of the new shows. I just don't feel like they're entertaining to me. When I think back to the old shows, I remember how entertaining they were.

I do admit, sometimes I have caught Adventure Time, if it happened to be on, and I would say that show isn't horrible.
Old October 27th, 2012 (02:19 PM).
Aphrodite
Community Supporter

I like Adventure Time! It's one of the few shows I can sit down and enjoy watching, without having to worry about cringing at some terrible 'edgy' joke designed to appeal to the kids who still watch Cartoon Network. It's a good, fun show and it's intelligent too! About as intelligent as you get for a show centering around a young boy who runs around saving candy people from various, dastardly villains and unfortunate situations. I need Toujours to back me up on this, Adventure Time is just a really good show.

So is Regular Show! A show that appeal our age can enjoy, if only for the constant references it makes to culture and what not. The plots are, well, stupid, but they're intentionally stupid, unlike some of the other shows I have had the displeasure of watching over the last few years. Regular Show is my favorite out of the two, there's just something about it that connects with me.

Although I don't like most of Cartoon Network's lineup nowadays, I don't think it's fallen into a pit. Yes, with the fall of Toonami the channel did drop quite measurably in everyone's standards, but I think more and more people are hating the channel simply because it's fashionable to do so. Take Disney, for starters. Everyone hates that channel not just because of the rather lackluster programming on it today, but also because everyone else hates it. Grow some backbone, people. I'm also echoing AzaleaLightning when I say that another reason people hate Cartoon Network today is because of the nostalgia they have for the old shows on the network. I love, and will always love, The Powerpuff Girls 100x more than Regular Show, but I'm not blind to the fact that the channel had it's faults back in the day too. It's a new generation of kids, people, they find different things funny. You have to move on and accept that Cartoon Network, along with Disney and whatever, are moving in a new direction.
Old October 27th, 2012 (09:09 PM).
SamuJake
I beat Red when I was 8' bro.

Nature: Modest
2 decent shows left on Cartoon Network. Regular Show and Adventure time. Adventure time is incredibly popular. Never really watched Cartoon Network, though. But seriously, shows are made differently to suit the current audience. Shows are different to what you would have grown up with.
Old October 28th, 2012 (05:19 PM).
Arcturus.
Chews nails and spits napalm

Nature: Quiet
I'm really disappointed with the quality of shows on CN now. I do sometimes catch Adventure Time and Regular Show, which I have mixed feelings about. I don't think there's any excuse for the quality of the rest of the shows they air now though. Adult Swim and Toonami is what I watch most of the time now. I'll always miss the good ol' days.
CSS|VM/PM|THEME
Old October 29th, 2012 (08:02 AM).
Blaze42
The Spirit of Chaos

It seems good to me. Adventure Time, Regular Show, Gumball, Young Justice, Green Lantern, Looney Tunes(New and old) are great. Of course, there's Annoying Orange and MAD, but we can ignore those.
Old October 29th, 2012 (12:40 PM).
Azure Rathalδs
tumblr famous doesn't count
Community Supporter

While I haven't watched cartoon network for about half a year - or any kind of tv that isn't plugged into a game console - I can safely say they're the best children's channel currently. That previous statement doesn't refer to the quality on the channel at all. There is still tat like Annoying Orange and Almost Naked Animals on the channel.

Yet, there a few hidden gems on the channel, my personal favourite being Adventure Time. Sure, the animation is quite low-end, and some parts of it make you think the people who made the show were doing hard drugs, but it's still a very enjoyable and smart kids show.

Another good show on the network is The Amazing World of Gumball. It has a unique animation style based around 2d and 3d animation, being placed on backdrops which are photos from actual places in real life. The jokes are quite amusing and aren't obnoxious. The only real issues with the show is how one-dimensional the characters can sometimes be.

To conclude (or tl;dr, if you prefer) , Cartoon Network has been improving recently. Sure, it's not near the magnum opus it was back in the 90's, but it's showing signs of returning to that form sometime in the future.
Old October 29th, 2012 (12:55 PM).
Correspondence

I don't really watch it anymore but the quality of that channel has really gone down.
Old October 31st, 2012 (06:35 AM).
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Cartoon Network will only appear as a fallen network to those who grew up watching it back in the 90's to around 2005-07 and a big reason for that is the "nostalgic factor." Otherwise, it's still thriving on its own with the new aged kids that watch it today.

I'll admit, I certainly don't watch Cartoon Network as much as I used to, but that also applies to many of the other channels targeted at kids and young teens today like Disney Channel and Nickelodeon. It's not because I think their shows don't compare to the shows I grew up watching (although, to an extent this is true), but because I've grown up; I've grown to like things that are more suitable for my age group today.

I still tune in for some of Cartoon Network's new shows today though (Green Lantern, Young Justice, Riders: Dragons of Berk, Adventure Time, Regular Show, and their Cartoon Planet block). All of which I think are good shows and suitable for ages above CN's actual target audience.

So, no, I don't believe Cartoon Network has fallen into a hole it can't get out of, but I certainly do believe they can be better.
Old October 31st, 2012 (11:14 AM).
roosterman
Freaking annoying!

Nature: Brave
yes! adventure time is ok sometimes but the rest is just plain awful, and the sad part is that all my friends watch it because its the only channel they have besides news channels and infomercial channels, thats probably the only reason they can stay on air.
EDIT: and to all the people that say we're just used to the other shows i'd like to say that i'm actually young enough that i never really watched it back then because my mom didn't want me to hear the word stupid but now that i can watch it i can see that the old ones were pretty good but these new ones are just *smirk* stupid

pokemon black 2 friend code: 1979 8164 1100
my best battle video: 72-38989-76548. tell me your thoughts!
"Believe it or not, angels crap much more than other beings. Ever wonder why the phrase "holy crap" is so popular?" -macomuu
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links