• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

4th Gen Lugia or Ho-Oh?

Lugia or Ho-Oh?

• Total voters
Years
Ho-oh. They're both pretty awesome, but I've always thought Lugia should've had a secondary Water typing or something, it just.. It doesn't make sense to me. I love both of their signature moves, and I love that they're both available in each game, I just prefer Ho-oh because its typing makes more sense, and as someone mentioned, it makes more sense with the Kimono Girls story (at least, to my knowledge. The fact that Ho-oh is actually in Ecruteak City seems to make a lot of sense). Otherwise they're both pretty great!

BiGoDeViN28

Psalm 141:3
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen May 26, 2013
Ho-Oh.

Ho-Oh seemed to fit with the Ancient Japan Koto theme that HGSS had going for it. So I like Ho-Oh a little better.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I think it's a case of "the grass is greener on the other side" for me. When I originally played Gold version, I was really jealous that my brother - who bought Silver - got to capture Lugia. This was probably because I preferred its design, as well as its placement in the upcoming second Pokemon movie. In contrast, Ho-oh looked ugly, had a boring movepool and weird name. Fast forward many years, and I get SoulSilver for the DS. Now, all of a sudden, I really like Ho-oh but can't get it until much later in the game. Lugia, on the other hand, feels dated and old, with a weird typing combination that makes no sense.

So, yeah. Moral of the tale: I'm ridiculously fickle! :D

White_Arcanine

Lonely and annoying.
Years
Lugia, for what (most) people would say is a pretty stupid reason, but when I first got on the internet the first friend I made loved Lugia, and ever since then the Pokemon held a special place in my heart.

mikey

Discord Lead
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Lugia, its so awesome. I like Ho-Oh also, but I like Lugia's design more.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
While Ho-oh has his strong points, such as an epic design and even more epic battle music, I have to go with Lugia! A lot of my love is nostalgia, but I always adored its simplistic but powerful (and huggable!) design--his "invisible cheeseburger" hands definitely added fuel to my love-fire! And I just love Aeroblast to pieces! It's hands-down one of my favorite attacks.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Ho-Oh for life! I just love Sacred Fire! It's one of the few physical fire type moves, and as such is very useful in certain situations. Plus purple flames are really cool.

This isn't to say I only like him for his signature move. He's really cool design wise too.

#isthenumbersign
Years
I've played Silver/Soul Silver so many times, so I really appreciate Ho-oh more, even if you can obtain it later in the game. And the design is pretty awesome. Not to mention he comes with a Sacred Ash. Lugia comes with squat.

JollyRoger25

Dark Type Master
Years
Ho-oh, duh, it is the guardian of the sky, and the creator of the three beasts. Plus Fire + Flying = excellent type combination, and lets not forget the Sacred Ash item it drops. :) Ho-oh for the win!!!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 18, 2012
Ho-oh all the way! I'm more offensively inclined in battle so I much rather have the offensive powerhouse that is Ho-oh than the great wall known as Lugia.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Lugia. It's funny I got both Gold and HeartGold but prefer Lugia over Ho-Oh. I really like both aloit though. I kind of grow on to Lugia though because of Pokemon 2000:The Power of One. And I have fond memories of cloning many Lugia with my friends as a little kid.

Years
I like the wall that is Lugia. I preferred the design of him and there was just a 'cool' vibe coming from him. I like both of them, but Lugia pips it for me.​

Wateria

The cute team Aqua member
Years
I prefer Ho-oh due to it's design and it's based on a phoenix which are cool.

LightOfTruth

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 16, 2020
You can catch both in both games so its a choice in who you want have early

Lugia First- Soulsliver
Ho-Oh First- Heartgold

drpoplove

Super Saiyan and Stuff
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2012
Lugia for me, just because I always thought it looked cooler.

Syltti

Lilligant's Loving Trainer
Years
I've always been a Lugia fan-girl. The dance and music before Lugia's appearance in SoulSilver sold me all over again. xD

(the movie also sealed the deal)

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Lugia, mainly due to personal bias. When it comes down to it, I honestly kinda prefer Ho-oh's design over Lugia, just because it's more colorful and resembles a bird more (B]), but it also pulls off a really terrifying facial expression, where, even though Lugia does too at times, it's less scary, and tend to look more desperate lol. But as I said, personal bias on Lugia, due to all my experiences with it from Silver. After seeing it kicking tail in a battle between my brother and a friend of his, I decided I wanted my own, and even with that, it wasn't like I hadn't tried looking for it. The place it was located was less notable than a huge freaking tower in a town, so I actually found Ho-oh before I got to Lugia, but once I finally found it in the Whirl Isles after searching for a long time, I was a) Very disappointed that it wasn't a Water type, and b) SUPER FREAKING EXCITED to finally get it. So I used it pretty much for the rest of my Silver versions life, but now it's long gone, borrowed out to a friend of mine who then lost it afterwards. :(

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
Ho-oh for forever and always. Access to Regenerator, Sacred Fire being a better exclusive move, his design, his typing, everything. Plus I love how more mysterious and exclusive he is in the games compared to his counterpart (who is also awesome in my books but no where in comparison to my boo.) Ho-oh is probably my favorite legendary along with Virizion and Mewtwo. <3

Back