The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development

Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 26th, 2012 (03:21 PM).
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkenedWolf View Post
Well it doesn't really matter now that we have a perfect split!
We don't, sadly. All we have achieved so far is to put out fires, as it were. We're not actually solving the original problem.

I still propose that someone fully dissassembles the relevant part of the ROM and ensures that all the checks and such are correct, and if not, we can then fix then and be sure of said things working. However, until someone does this, we could have missed any small check.
Old April 26th, 2012 (06:10 PM).
DarkenedWolf
there is a bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
My exact words were that it wouldn't be perfect, nor was it ideal. What someone needs to do (as boring as it is) is sit and go through the entire damage calculation part of the routine, and see if we can catch any such bugs. It is entirely possible that there are others which we have missed at some stage in this routine.

What possible use is this for people such as myself who cannot access the page because we're not members? Would you kindly post it here, and we can go from there?
this is what people who dont have pc accounts have to deal with all the time

Quote:
We don't, sadly. All we have achieved so far is to put out fires, as it were. We're not actually solving the original problem.

I still propose that someone fully dissassembles the relevant part of the ROM and ensures that all the checks and such are correct, and if not, we can then fix then and be sure of said things working. However, until someone does this, we could have missed any small check.
Maybe all you have done is put out fires, but the split Doesn't created actually implements the split without skipping vital checks, like type items or pinch abilities. The only thing it doesnt do is add the SDef boost for rock types during sandstorm.
Old April 26th, 2012 (06:59 PM).
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
this is what people who dont have pc accounts have to deal with all the time
Really? Even before I signed up for an account, I could READ PC, if nothing else. Admittedly, that was some time ago, and could have changed since then...

Quote:
Maybe all you have done is put out fires, but the split Doesn't created actually implements the split without skipping vital checks, like type items or pinch abilities. The only thing it doesnt do is add the SDef boost for rock types during sandstorm.
Forgive me for being cynical, but until I see it, I won't believe it. However, don't get me wrong, I've been looking at this code on and off for ages, and I got sick of it, because it's just so boring. So props to you (or whomever made it) if there is a 100% working one.
Old April 26th, 2012 (11:22 PM).
Wiznatts

As a mod over at the forum that Doesnt linked to, I can assure you it works as he described. Basically, he just sat down and analyzed the JP split that was posted in this and applied the same logic to an English ROM. Its not a straight hex copy either, which was the problem with the first patch from over a year ago.

He would have just posted it here, but post count limits don't let him link to other sites or to attach files so he really couldn't. I'll ask him if he wants me to post it for him.
Old April 29th, 2012 (08:06 AM).
InMooseWeTrust
Jack of All Trades

Nature: Careful
Send a message via ICQ to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via AIM to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Yahoo to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Skype™ to InMooseWeTrust
Really? That would be great. Can you PM me when it's posted? I don't read every thread that often so it would be really helpful for me.
Old June 19th, 2012 (02:07 PM).
SpectreX
Beginning Trainer

How do you put in that Emerald Phy./Spe. split?
Old June 20th, 2012 (11:40 AM).
Kindrindra
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreX View Post
How do you put in that Emerald Phy./Spe. split?
The numbers on the left are the hex locations, the numbers on the right are the hex values you need to put in. If you don't have a hex editor, you'll need one- I use XVI32 myself.
Old June 21st, 2012 (10:50 PM).
morikun

I know barely anything about the actual steps of ROM-hacking, but I do understand what this could/would do for the actual community and the hacks themselves , and I am very excited to see if this pans out the way i hope!
Old August 14th, 2012 (01:56 PM).
shinyabsol1
Pokemon DarkJasper!?

Nature: Calm
So is there a 100% working version of this for FR?
Old August 24th, 2012 (11:17 AM).
Bozster
Chief Lunatic

Sorry if this seems a stupid question, but I'm a bit confused. With what sort of hex editor are you supposed to find these eight digit pointers (in Emerald)? I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble finding them and I've looked up some hex editing tutorials which haven't given me any answers. Thanks!
Old October 14th, 2012 (11:29 AM).
timson733333
Me gusta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozster View Post
Sorry if this seems a stupid question, but I'm a bit confused. With what sort of hex editor are you supposed to find these eight digit pointers (in Emerald)? I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble finding them and I've looked up some hex editing tutorials which haven't given me any answers. Thanks!
HxD works. Any hex editor where you can "go to" a byte works, basically.

Does anyone know the offsets for Ruby where you change to fix the Blaze/Torrent/Overgrow glitch? I saw the ones for the physical/special class split but can't find the ones for fixing the glitch.

Learning how to hex edit. I'm not advanced in any way, and rely on tools most of the time.

deviantArt | YouTube
Old December 12th, 2012 (11:57 PM).
dreamengine

Quote:
I haven't posted it since then because I was:
1) Testing the damned thing to make sure it worked
2) Being busy with exams and coursework
3) Having a life beyond hacking

Code:
.text
.align 2
.thumb
.thumb_func
.global LCDPSSGlitchFix
main:
 ldr r0, [sp, #0x8]
 lsl r1, r0, #0x1
 add r1, r1, r0
 lsl r1, r1, #0x2
 ldr r0, attackdata
 add r0, r0, r1
 ldrb r0, [r0, #0x2]
 mov r11, r0
 mov r2, r11
 cmp r2, #0xD
 bne continue
 mov r0, #0x0
 str r0, [sp, #0x0]
 ldr r0, return
 bx r0
continue: ldr r3, returntwo
 bx r3
.align
return: .word 0x0803F10D
returntwo: .word 0x0803F127
attackdata: .word 0x08250C04
At 0x3F102, change the code to 01 4A 10 47 00 00 XX XX XX 08.

That isn't all though, you also need to change:

0803F126: 5B 46
0803F14A: 58 46
0803F17A: 5A 46
0803F1AA: 58 46
0803F1DA: 5A 46

You should be good to go after that.
What does this fix do? Is the ASM code part of the fix?
Old January 1st, 2013 (05:05 PM). Edited May 14th, 2013 by DoesntKnowHowToPlay.
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
some loser

Now that I have enough posts to put this here I might as well for convenience's sake, it was rather rude of me to not just bypass the filter to get these links up:

FR: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?7e0m7xhmyaga2af
Em: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ipcjia5b778zj8o

Like with the other implementations in this thread, they work off the eleventh byte of the move data. They also implement the Special Defense boost in Sand, and jump through a number of other hoops to not break existing abilities and attacks, which is why I provide them as patches and not simple hex edits. Be aware that these patches do not touch the move table- you'll have to toggle the moves as physical or special yourself. I recommend using a hex editor or Nightmare for this, but PGE can also do the job (slowly).

Credits go to Tailes for most of the work on the Emerald split.

Also yes you can use these for your hacks just give credit you don't need to pm me for permission and plz don't

Yet Another Fire Red Hack

Physical/Special Split
Old January 1st, 2013 (05:36 PM).
shinyabsol1
Pokemon DarkJasper!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesntKnowHowToPlay
Like with the other implementations in this thread, they work off the eleventh byte of the move data. They also implement the Special Defense boost in Sand, and jump through a number of other hoops to not break existing abilities and attacks, which is why I provide them as patches and not simple hex edits. Be aware that these patches do not touch the move table- you'll have to toggle the moves as physical or special yourself. I recommend using a hex editor or Nightmare for this, but PGE can also do the job (slowly).
Will this split still work even if I have repointed the move data, attack names, etc?

Just want to make sure before I patch this to my ROM.
Old January 1st, 2013 (05:39 PM).
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
some loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyabsol1 View Post
Will this split still work even if I have repointed the move data, attack names, etc?

Just want to make sure before I patch this to my ROM.
You might need to fix a couple pointers to the old move data table, but it should still work.

Physical/Special Split
Old January 1st, 2013 (08:15 PM).
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesntKnowHowToPlay View Post
Now that I have enough posts to put this here I might as well for convenience's sake, it was rather rude of me to not just bypass the filter to get these links up:

FR: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?7e0m7xhmyaga2af
Em: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5t81dh2ep0svp68

Credits go to Tailes for most of the work on the Emerald split.
Is the FireRed one safe to apply if you've already applied an earlier version of that patch? (The one you posted on the Nuzlocke forums)
Old January 1st, 2013 (08:21 PM).
PokemonMasters
Always Remember Forever&After

Yeah. He said its alright.

+ForeverDash on PC's Battle Server | Pair | VM/PM |Partner In Crime
Old January 2nd, 2013 (12:04 AM).
dreamengine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesntKnowHowToPlay View Post
You might need to fix a couple pointers to the old move data table, but it should still work.
What do you mean by that? Do you need to change the new pointers back to the old ones before applying the patch or does it mean that the patch overwrites the changed pointers and you have to go back and change them again?
Old January 2nd, 2013 (06:43 AM).
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
some loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Rush View Post
Is the FireRed one safe to apply if you've already applied an earlier version of that patch? (The one you posted on the Nuzlocke forums)
It's the same as the most recent version from there, so if you have that one you won't need to. It should be safe though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamengine View Post
What do you mean by that? Do you need to change the new pointers back to the old ones before applying the patch or does it mean that the patch overwrites the changed pointers and you have to go back and change them again?
I meant that the patch may introduce new pointers to the old move table that you'll want to hunt down after applying it, but it looks like it uses the exiting pointers so that shouldn't actually be a problem.

Physical/Special Split
Old January 2nd, 2013 (11:04 AM).
Ivee
Ask me about Trailblazer :3

Nature: Naive
You people are incredibly amazing. So it doesn't mess with the starter abilities/Flash Fire, or moves like Hidden Power? I plan to play with this tonight.
Old January 2nd, 2013 (01:35 PM).
shinyabsol1
Pokemon DarkJasper!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamengine
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesntKnowHowToPlay
I meant that the patch may introduce new pointers to the old move table that you'll want to hunt down after applying it, but it looks like it uses the exiting pointers so that shouldn't actually be a problem.
I can confirm that this patch works with repointed move data. I tested it out yesterday (without needing to correct any new pointers) and encountered no problems.
Old January 2nd, 2013 (03:09 PM).
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tajaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyabsol1 View Post
I can confirm that this patch works with repointed move data. I tested it out yesterday (without needing to correct any new pointers) and encountered no problems.
What if you repointed the move table after you applied the patch? :3
Old January 12th, 2013 (07:26 PM).
zabimaru1000
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Here's the Emerald hack ported to the other games. I find it amusing that with this hack we got it working for Emerald first, then Ruby, and then FireRed, when usually it's the complete opposite. xD

FireRed (US)
Code:
0803ED54: 80 7A
0803F226: 00 29
0803F228: 00 D0
0803F38C: 02 2F
0803F38E: 00 DB
0803F394: 01 28
0803F396: 00 D0
Hi Darthatron, I'd really like to test out the Physical-Special Split on Fire Red, but I'm having trouble changing the bytes. I am using Hex Workshop and can't seem to locate what you typed in for Fire Red. I just started learning HEX Editing just to try out this P/S feature for 3rd generation games.
Old January 12th, 2013 (08:35 PM).
PokemonMasters
Always Remember Forever&After

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabimaru1000 View Post
Hi Darthatron, I'd really like to test out the Physical-Special Split on Fire Red, but I'm having trouble changing the bytes. I am using Hex Workshop and can't seem to locate what you typed in for Fire Red. I just started learning HEX Editing just to try out this P/S feature for 3rd generation games.
dont add 08 when searching. 08 just means its in the game

+ForeverDash on PC's Battle Server | Pair | VM/PM |Partner In Crime
Old January 15th, 2013 (04:36 PM).
zabimaru1000
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonMasters View Post
dont add 08 when searching. 08 just means its in the game
Are you sure I'm searching for HEX values? It still says the specified search string was not found even when I did not add 08.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links