The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Official Forums > Community Announcements

Notices

Community Announcements Sometimes interesting things happen... it'd be a shame for you to miss them. Check here for new events and changes big and small around the community.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 14th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

Advertise here
I like this feature, the little Sentret is so cute :3. It works fine for me, thank you for this nice feature.
Old October 14th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Tyrantrum
none pizza with left beef
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrantrum
If I recall correctly, I think I remember staff and others saying we were going to stay away from any "like" buttons so as to not become like Facebook? Oh well, it's a neat feature; seems to work fine for the moment.

Now to wait for the expected "like my post!!1!" posts.

(x) Tumblr
(y) Gallery
Previously Eeveon
Old October 14th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Esper

I saw this, which looks to me like a bug:

I tried to see if it was possible to 'like' something twice and it didn't seem possible.

That aside, this is a nice feature.

deviantart blog pair
Old October 14th, 2012, 06:08 PM
wolf
on reduced activity

What if the first post of a thread is liked, could those likes show up on the forum index where the thread ratings are? I think it would be a great way to replace thread ratings, since those can start drama with negative scores and whatnot. But then we might be copying Smogon's Luvdisc system too much, hehe.
Old October 14th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I "like" this new feature! Nice to see it implemented! Anyways, looking forwards to seeing where this feature is going. I can say it will definitely be useful in many places, like the Trade Corner (For finding the best shops), Rom Hacking/Game Dev (For finding the best resources/Tutorials/Games) and polls and discussions and who knows what else!

\o/

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old October 14th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Ausaudriel
Chief Mechanic

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolflare View Post
What if the first post of a thread is liked, could those likes show up on the forum index where the thread ratings are? I think it would be a great way to replace thread ratings, since those can start drama with negative scores and whatnot. But then we might be copying Smogon's Luvdisc system too much, hehe.
Don't worry, I've got some cool ideas on how to do this. :] And my ideas tend to be better than most Pokemon forums out there. ;]
Old October 14th, 2012, 08:22 PM
awolfsquared
I like to do 'Garfield Mondays'
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
I like the Furret. I'm glad we got this implemented.

"I have no idea what I'm doing. but I know I'm doing it really, really well."- Andy Dwyer
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Art Gallery | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old October 14th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Ausaudriel
Chief Mechanic

Okay, I made some aesthetic enhancements. :3c Now to view who has liked the post, click on the number and it gives you a nice popup menu.

I'm going to work on making the like button a little better integrated visually, and also fix the legacy postbit so that it doesn't take up quote so much vertical room.

Also, just to reiterate, I'll add an unlike button. XD; I just want to work on other parts first.
Old October 14th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Kanto_Johto
Never glimpse the truth

Nature: Bold
The like button doesn't feature on the layout I'm using now, for whatever reason, which I prefer since I have no intention of ever using it. No offence to you, Ausaudriel, you've done a really great job with this. It's just not for me.
Old October 14th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Echidna
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausaudriel View Post
Okay, I made some aesthetic enhancements. :3c Now to view who has liked the post, click on the number and it gives you a nice popup menu.

I'm going to work on making the like button a little better integrated visually, and also fix the legacy postbit so that it doesn't take up quote so much vertical room.

Also, just to reiterate, I'll add an unlike button. XD; I just want to work on other parts first.
Ermahgerd, that popup menu is beautiful <3
Great job really! :3

Old October 14th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Ice Car
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli97 View Post
Having a like system =/= Facebook, and aside from Post Comments, we don't have rep.
I could have sworn the post comment thing was a rep system.

Also, I just hate "Like" features on forums in general, or just about anywhere. There are problems I'd rather not have that the "Like" feature brings.
Old October 14th, 2012, 10:19 PM
curiousnathan
woop woop

Nature: Careful
Although I think it'll take time for me to remember it's there, I'll be definitely making use of this handy feature. Especially when I can't be bothered to reply to a topic on a school morning.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Car View Post
I could have sworn the post comment thing was a rep system.

Also, I just hate "Like" features on forums in general, or just about anywhere. There are problems I'd rather not have that the "Like" feature brings.
It's not really a rep system since users don't really gain anything or any rank other than advice or constructive criticism on their posts. For me personally, I haven't experienced or seen any major issues -- even little issues for that matter -- that have arised from 'like'/like-like features.
Old October 14th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Ice Car
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious. View Post
Although I think it'll take time for me to remember it's there, I'll be definitely making use of this handy feature. Especially when I can't be bothered to reply to a topic on a school morning.

Edit:

It's not really a rep system since users don't really gain anything or any rank other than advice or constructive criticism on their posts. For me personally, I haven't experienced or seen any major issues -- even little issues for that matter -- that have arised from 'like'/like-like features.
I just don't see any purpose for it. Is it just there to make you feel good about yourself? I can't see any use for it apart from that and that it may affect post content.
Old October 14th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Doctor
& time lord

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausaudriel View Post
What browser are you using?
Chrome. Forever Standing skin on PC. I think nothing happens when I try to "like" something. But it might just be the skin since it works for others.

"Unlike" would be a good thing to have, yeah. Not for doing thumbs down (since that would surely make some grouchy) but for taking away your like. Just like on fb :3

trust me, I'm the Doctor !

Old October 14th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Ausaudriel
Chief Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Car View Post
I just don't see any purpose for it. Is it just there to make you feel good about yourself? I can't see any use for it apart from that and that it may affect post content.
I understand your perspective, but I think you're missing the idea a little bit. The way I envision it is that post likes are not too different from a regular post. On PC we have rules for minimum character/word limits in order to stop people from posting things like "I agree" or "lol" or "that's a cool idea" or whatever else that won't particularly contribute to the discussion at hand, but that kind of feedback is still appreciated by your fellow members. In the past you could send them a VM, or send them a post comment. The "Like" button is just a more direct, less verbose way of expressing your appreciation for a post.

As far as letting everyone see who has liked a post, the main reason it's like that now (we're talking about changing it, haven't decided yet) is mostly because of how I personally perceive the Internet to have evolved. It's becoming more and more a social place and especially in a community like PC, what your friends and what other people do does matter. All posts/threads/replies are publicly visible on PC, and like I illustrated above, I imagine "Likes" are just like mini-posts that don't clog up the thread but still allow you to express your appreciation. It doesn't make sense to not let people see who has Liked a post when they could have instead posted a reply that would have been visible.

I hope that makes sense, but if not I'm sorry you're against the feature. :/ The hard truth of the matter is that all websites change and evolve over time and you won't always like those changes, but in this case nobody is forcing you to use the Like button. Just ignore it if you don't think it's useful.
Old October 15th, 2012, 02:54 AM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
I really "like" it. xD
Hope it'll forever stay as a cute Furret. I love Furret. <3

Anyway, can the message "7 people like this post" 's font size be decreased a little bit? :\
I find them kinda...normal. Can't find the right word at the moment.

But it's okay as it is, but I just feel that it'll be better if the font is decreased a bit.
I dunno. That's just me.

*feel free to click the dislike button if you don't agree with me*
Old October 15th, 2012, 03:04 AM
Echidna
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post
*feel free to click the dislike button if you don't agree with me*
Lol nice one.
BUT IT'LL BE MADE SOME DAY AND YOU'LL REGRET SAYING THAT!!!!111!!1

On a second note, I agree with you :3
The font size on the number of likes would be better if it were smaller, kinda like this here...

Old October 15th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Zeffy
artificial one-eyed ghoul

Send a message via Skype™ to Zeffy
Once it is fully implemented, is there going to be an option to hide it or at least disable notifications (if notifications about someone "liking" your post will be added) when someone likes your post? I assume this would probably be hard to do, but I am not a coding whiz so I don't really know either. I'm not really interested with any "like" feature that any websites have, outside of Facebook or not.
Old October 15th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Archer
a.k.a: ethan.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post
Anyway, can the message "7 people like this post" 's font size be decreased a little bit? :\
I find them kinda...normal. Can't find the right word at the moment.

But it's okay as it is, but I just feel that it'll be better if the font is decreased a bit.
I dunno. That's just me.
This. It should be the same size as the postbit details or "edit by..." text. The Furrent logo is a little over-the-top, but I daresay it will be toned down and adapted to most/new styles in the same way the quote/edit buttons and online indicator have been.

I'd also like the option to remove a like. That's not a dislike by any stretch of the word, just an option to remove your own like if you change your mind or whatever. Don't get me wrong, though - it's a cool idea and I think the best solution to keeping positive feedback simple without it getting out of hand.

Also, that's the 10th 500 Internal Server error in the last 10 minutes... PC IS IMPLODING!

Last edited by Archer; October 15th, 2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old October 15th, 2012, 05:51 AM
Sydian
Reserved for Syd's house - Nook Homes

Nature: Timid
Don't care much for the like system really, so eh. Dislikes seem...idk. I think we should lay off having those. :x Because that's gonna be like rep in that people will gang up on a post and then people will pay no mind to it, though this is speaking for debate threads in places like Other Chat and it could also apply to lots of threads that show up in CQ&F. So...the likes are fine, but...maybe having the dislike would be too far. :/ My two cents anyway...
Old October 15th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Doppelgänger
Community Supporter

I'm fine with the like system, but please, no dislike system. I would hate that. The only thing that would do is cause arguments and such. Plus, not really any need for a dislike button.

"A living, breathing, double of oneself usually tormenting the person they look like..."
Old October 15th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Blaze the Cat
Life hurts, and so do I

Nature: Timid
I sometimes run into a post I find really funny and wish there was a like button. And now there is! It is going to be helpful for when you want people to know that this post made you laugh(or something).

PS: Change the title of this thread please. This one is kind of creepy
Old October 15th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dratizard View Post
I sometimes run into a post I find really funny and wish there was a like button. And now there is! It is going to be helpful for when you want people to know that this post made you laugh(or something).

PS: Change the title of this thread please. This one is kind of creepy :cross-eye
You could also have used [ ] the post comment function of posts in the top right corner to make a comment too (if you wanna make a witty comment rather than just liking it in the future :3)
Old October 15th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Oryx
Of the pigeon, by the pigeon, for the pigeon
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Hi Audy a few things :3 Idk if this is something you can fix, but on the Stunfisk'd style the like button has moved the post comment button, I think this is only for mods though because there's an infract button.

Also, if we're gonna have it so the people who liked it are only visible to the author, is there any way we can get rid of the linked part on other peoples' posts, or possibly on everyone's? Idk it seems a little weird but you can leave it, just a little suggestion XD;
PM
Old October 15th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Regarding the issue of anonymity, perhaps the count of likes could increase, but in the list of users it just says at the end "and 4 anonymous users" or something like that?

Of course, anonymity kind of defeats the purpose of a feature introduced on a social networking site, but yeah, I think it would be a nice feature to add. It could even be toggle-able in the User CP, similar to Appear Invisible, and that would automatically make your likes appear anonymous.

Just my two pence.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here