The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Clubs

Notices

Pokémon Clubs This forum is for those who wish to start a club within the community. This forum is for Pokémon clubs; Fan Clubs & Groups is for everything else.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 6th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Nature: Careful

Advertise here
I think Axew should be included on the starter list because its a starter in PMD now. What does everyone else think.
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

Old October 7th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmotone8 View Post
I think Axew should be included on the starter list because its a starter in PMD now. What does everyone else think.
I think so, too... And it'd be something that would make me... daaaaaaaaaw

I've found that most starters are adorable.
Old October 7th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

That does seem to be a common trend doesn't it? The only exception I can think of is Totodile. Its ugly, but I still like it. xD

Old October 9th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote:
That does seem to be a common trend doesn't it? The only exception I can think of is Totodile. Its ugly, but I still like it. xD
I think it's something that you could want to hug, though. As long as it doesn't bite you, that is, and it's not going to happen.
Old October 9th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Olli
I wanna see you be brave
Community Supporter

That's one of the starter traits, cuteness. I guess it's to appeal to the players right at the start of the game, and that's probably also why most Pokemon are designed to be cute. But yeah, the starter Pokemon in their first stage are almost always cute. I wouldn't count Totodile as an exception, because it does have some adorable eyes imo.
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Hmm

Speaking of adorable, I wonder whether we should have a cute legendary as a starter. *looks at Victini*
Old October 14th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Krazzikk

Nature: Relaxed
Why would they have a cute legendary? It would just be really OP...

Victini is pretty cute tho <3

Btw, sorry for being inactive here, I kinda forgot about this club =\ But dw I've put the club in my bookmarks so I don't forget it ;3

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old October 15th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Olli
I wanna see you be brave
Community Supporter

If a legendary was a starter, it wouldn't really be a legendary at all though. I mean, first of all, a legendary, especially one as strong as Victini, wouldn't really have a place as a starter. I mean, even if certain spin-off's, their powers just exceeds those of starter standards by hfkdsfhdhfkdsfh completely out of the bar. Unless it was Palkia's quest to obtain the power orbs it carries in its shoulders to regain its powers because they were stolen by Cyrus and co., then I just don't think as any kind of starter at all, even though my example didn't really depict it as a starter lol. But yeah, no legendary has a three staged evolutionary line either, so they wouldn't really work as starters either, so I don't really think there should be any legendaries as starters, despite some of the being cute enough to be on :p
Old October 16th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli97 View Post
If a legendary was a starter, it wouldn't really be a legendary at all though. I mean, first of all, a legendary, especially one as strong as Victini, wouldn't really have a place as a starter. I mean, even if certain spin-off's, their powers just exceeds those of starter standards by hfkdsfhdhfkdsfh completely out of the bar. Unless it was Palkia's quest to obtain the power orbs it carries in its shoulders to regain its powers because they were stolen by Cyrus and co., then I just don't think as any kind of starter at all, even though my example didn't really depict it as a starter lol. But yeah, no legendary has a three staged evolutionary line either, so they wouldn't really work as starters either, so I don't really think there should be any legendaries as starters, despite some of the being cute enough to be on :p
Hmm

Does messing around with the stats first count so that they are at about the same level of regular starters until post-game?
Old October 16th, 2012, 01:31 AM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

I agree with Olli on this one. Legendaries just don't work as starters. It takes the legend out of them. :/

Old October 16th, 2012, 02:53 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote:
I agree with Olli on this one. Legendaries just don't work as starters. It takes the legend out of them. :/
Unless we work the story out so that it fits in perfectly? A non-standard story, to be sure... Maybe it's spin-off time.
Old October 16th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

And have what? Victini as a starter in PMD? I don't think that would work either unless its all legendary Pokemon in the game, which wouldn't be very good for a game. :/

Old October 16th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Olli
I wanna see you be brave
Community Supporter

Well messing with the stats would essentially change the Pokemon, since it'd kinda have to follow those stats in all other games that way, otherwise it'd be set as a different Pokemon I guess. Although I agree that it would fit in with a spin-off, since they're about the only games where Pokemon don't use the same stats as in the main series, with the exception of a few. But as I also said in my previous post, spin-off's don't usually have starters, and center more around either humans or Pokemon as a main character. The only Spin-off I can recall where you're able to choose between starters would be PMD, which I've never actually played, so I can't say much for it, although I'm assuming Cosmotone is right about it. So yeah, I just don't think a Pokemon like Victini would work as a starter, even if it has the design for it, although it could be fun to have a game where the starters were Shaymin, Victini and Manaphy, since they're all small cute Pokemon, and they cover all of the typings, except they don't have 3 stage evolutions. But it'd still fit :p
Old October 16th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Krazzikk

Nature: Relaxed
In addition to what Olli has said, who wants a starter that doesn't evolve? It would be kinda boring raising a Poke from level 5, and never having it evolve (I know I get excited when something evolves, unless its evolution is ugly or something of that effect)
Also, why can't GameFreak pull a sly one, and play with the stats of the starter version of Victini? Or maybe they could make a form of Victini that's stats aren't as good.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old October 17th, 2012, 02:59 AM
何贤豪

I don't really agree with that. Victini doesn't sound like a Pokemon that should even have a form. Nor would I agree on lowering Victini's statistics only for one kind of Victini per game. What I can consider fine with doing these currently discussed here "Legendary Starters" would be to NOT get it from the professor. It would sound strange to get a legendary Pokemon from such a person, won't it? Maybe do it with a story that requires Ranger skills (effectively bringing up Pokemon Ranger)? So, a Ranger states of three Legendary Pokemon being enraged in some location, and the player + his/her friends/future rivals would go there. There, they make a deal as to which person catches which Legendary Pokemon, as a change for choosing the starters like what we have right now. Then, we capture it in the same way Rangers do it. Then, it becomes our starter Pokemon and we continue our adventure normally. And make its opponents fully evolved and being double or even more in level for any part of the game in return + upping the difficulty of the AI to be the same as the Champion. That would sound right, upping the difficulty of the enemies in return for getting a legendary starter.
Old October 17th, 2012, 07:43 AM
RoreyG
Lizardon Man

Nature: Adamant
Hi, I'd like to join this club:

Name: RoreyG

Starter Pokémon: A Charmander named Ryuu and A Totodial named Tsunami

Why would you like to join the club?: No matter how much you might want to deny it, your Starter Pokemon will always be the most important member of your team. Its your first ever partner when you start anew and will always be your most reliable companion on your journey (honestly, you can over- grind it to high levels in the early stages of the game because, no matter what, it will always listen to you).

Onto the current topic;

Legendaries would not make good starters as you would want your starter to evolve. Pseudo- Legendaries on the other hand; I wouldn't mind if Dratini or Larvitar was a starter.

Old October 18th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Olli
I wanna see you be brave
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy Garden of Fire View Post
I don't really agree with that. Victini doesn't sound like a Pokemon that should even have a form. Nor would I agree on lowering Victini's statistics only for one kind of Victini per game. What I can consider fine with doing these currently discussed here "Legendary Starters" would be to NOT get it from the professor. It would sound strange to get a legendary Pokemon from such a person, won't it? Maybe do it with a story that requires Ranger skills (effectively bringing up Pokemon Ranger)? So, a Ranger states of three Legendary Pokemon being enraged in some location, and the player + his/her friends/future rivals would go there. There, they make a deal as to which person catches which Legendary Pokemon, as a change for choosing the starters like what we have right now. Then, we capture it in the same way Rangers do it. Then, it becomes our starter Pokemon and we continue our adventure normally. And make its opponents fully evolved and being double or even more in level for any part of the game in return + upping the difficulty of the AI to be the same as the Champion. That would sound right, upping the difficulty of the enemies in return for getting a legendary starter.
I didn't really have any specific idea for how you were gonna get the legendary starters, and obviously it would a bit questionable if a professor was willing to give away such valuable Pokemon to new trainers :p But, despite having never played the ranger games, do really like your idea. I do know the concept of it and how you do it, but whether it would fit into a main series game is doubtful. It may either be my memory failing me or the fact that I just haven't noticed it, but I don't recall there ever being an appearance of a ranger in any of the main series games, which is why I still feel those kinds of starters would fit better into a spin-off, so it doesn't "mess up" how the usual journey goes. But then again, if that's the pattern they'll keep the games running on, I think the fanbase may start to get a little smaller, since it will eventually become boring with the same ideas over and over again. But good idea, kudos to that :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoreyG View Post
Hi, I'd like to join this club:

Name: RoreyG

Starter Pokémon: A Charmander named Ryuu and A Totodial named Tsunami

Why would you like to join the club?: No matter how much you might want to deny it, your Starter Pokemon will always be the most important member of your team. Its your first ever partner when you start anew and will always be your most reliable companion on your journey (honestly, you can over- grind it to high levels in the early stages of the game because, no matter what, it will always listen to you).

Onto the current topic;

Legendaries would not make good starters as you would want your starter to evolve. Pseudo- Legendaries on the other hand; I wouldn't mind if Dratini or Larvitar was a starter.
First of all, welcome to the club! Hope you'll stay and remain active, and hopefully enjoy your time here. And you're definitely right that the starters will in most cases be the Pokemon that's most emotionally close to you, granted you don't dump it off into a PC box as soon as you get your hands on the first best Pokemon to use isntead of it.

Second of all, with pseudo-legendaries, the problem still persists, that they may just be too strong. The team would be horribly imbalanced if you end up using Pokemon as strong as those as your starter even, the likeliness that you'll plow through the game, granted it's of the same difficulty, would also be really high. Then again, if they limited the strong and rare Pokemon in the game though, it'd be a bit more of a challenge, or if they simply raised the difficulty, but yeah, stat-wise, those kind of Pokemon just don't really fit in.

Last edited by Olli; October 18th, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old October 20th, 2012, 02:00 AM
何贤豪

Well, I guess this club's starting to drop in activity right now...so I'll just talk on that thought on top, using pLegendaries (p=psuedo)...It's true, the possibilities of becoming the champion in no time with that kind of starter is seriously existent. In truth, if they were something like cursed Pokemon, unable to evolve until post-Champion, I guess that'd work, but the storyline must be set up so it'd support that bit. Or...if you just use increased AI power, a few level boosts and a few more FE Pokemon to battle against...and taking out the powerful Pokemon, turning it a rarity, more like a mirage...and putting in more annoying and useless ones in return...for the wilderness...it'd be a very challenging game that works around the statistics of your awesome Pokemon. Now, how about something else to talk about?
Old October 20th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

If you had to choose from base form starters, which six would you want to make a team? Duplicates allowed.

TurtwigPiplupSnivyTepigOshawottCyndaquil, anyone?
Old October 20th, 2012, 06:40 AM
何贤豪

Oh, for me...I'd have Charmander, Totodile, Treecko, Piplup, Oshawott and Mudkip, maybe? The first five are because I pretty much like them...The last one was simply a filler.
Old October 20th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Treecko, Piplup, Shinx, Growlithe, Axew, Riolu, Turtwig.
I really don't like any other fire starters other than Growlithe, so meh.

Old October 20th, 2012, 06:15 PM
RoreyG
Lizardon Man

1) Charmander (my first and best)
2) Totodial (I could count on this monster to get me through 2 regions with ease)
3) Treeko (aethetically the most appealing from the Gen 3 Starters)
4) Mudkip (speaking from experience, the most useful starter in the Hoenn games)
5) Chimchar (its final evolution is based off of Sun Wukong, how cool is that)
6) Snivy (there's a certain charm to this little guy, I just quite can't put my finger on it)

Old October 22nd, 2012, 05:03 AM
何贤豪

So, uh...now what? I guess we should use a new topic. How about we'll just hop to the basics...and talk about our favorite starter Pokemon! Nah, how about we'll talk about its fully evolved form! I guess I'll start.

My favorites would be Charizard and Sceptile. And that's pretty much it! Both of them were chosen because of their looks, they all look great in my eyes! Their attacks aren't that bad too. But in truth, you can't say that somewhere else...they'd laugh. :D Too bad...
Old October 23rd, 2012, 12:45 PM
Arcturus.
Chews nails and spits napalm

Nature: Quiet
My favorite starter is definitely Venasaur. And every other Grass starter to be honest. If I had to pick a non-Grass starter it would have to be Blaziken. I always thought Blaziken was the coolest Fire starter.
CSS|VM/PM|THEME
Old October 23rd, 2012, 04:50 PM
RoreyG
Lizardon Man

Charizard, Feraligatr, Sceptile, Infernape, and Serperior.

Charizard was my first and up to this day, still my best and most reliable partner (only Fire type starter immune to Earthquake, how cool is that!!!).

Feraligatr, especially in HG/SS, I think is the most reliable and effective starter. He can get you through the Johto Gyms practically by himself and he's pretty beast.

Sceptile, unlike my Charizard and Feraligatr, I choose for purely aesthetic reasons. I personally think that its the coolest looking Hoenn starter.

Infernape, after Charizard and Feraligatr, Was probably my most useful starter.He was just so beastly.

Serperior, again for aesthetic purposes. I honestly have no idea why I like this guy, I guess the Snake charmed me.

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here