The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Technology & Internet

Notices

Technology & Internet The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 17th, 2012, 07:40 AM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish

Advertise here
Do they grab your attention? If so, do they convince you to get their product? Are they even useful?

Old October 17th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Hybrid Trainer
My Secrecy. My Advantage.

Most of the time, no. I tend to just ignore them and carry on browsing the site. I have adblock plus installed so most advertisements are blocked for me but for the few sites that I have it turned off, such as reddit or PC they tend to be generic things like computer games that I'm not interested in or random things that you could buy such as a lamp shaped like a zig-zag. Sometimes I might be curious and bored and will click on the ad but never have I ever bought anything from an advertisement.
Some advertisements can be useful, the only times I've ever bought something from a site that has advertisements up is when I've seen the site previously and I've visited their site via the ad and purchased something then. I don't think that counts though because I would've bought from that site even if there wasn't an advertisement up I would've purchased the item anyway.

Also, just a note to other users. If anybody posts "No because I have adblock" or something along those lines and nothing else your post will be deleted.

"I am confident that if anyone actually penetrates our facades, even the most perceptive would still be fundamentally unprepared for the truth of House Dimir."
-Szadek, Lord of Secrets

Old October 17th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
No because I have adblock.

OK fine loooool. To be fair when those adverts that target the searches or whatever you've previously done, come up some of them are interesting enough for me to investigate into but otherwise I usually ignore them.
Old October 17th, 2012, 12:59 PM
LividZephyr
Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks

Send a message via AIM to LividZephyr Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LividZephyr
I have AdBlock, thankfully, so I don't see any ads anymore. That makes me happy, because all of those Flash advertisements are annoying, especially the ones that pop up in the middle of your screen (not a new window) when you're trying to read something. Those are the WORST. They grab my attention, but in such a negative way. Resorting to that extreme makes me LESS likely to want to click it.

Though really... I don't like paying attention to any advertising. I buy what I need or what I really want, and if I need to do research, then I will. I won't pay any attention to the ads, whether they're billboards, TV adverts, radio spots, whatever. They really don't work on me. Being annoying is not the way to get positive attention or my interest, and I'm already selective because money is tight. I don't want to get tempted by anything that looks awesome, because I probably don't need it. All of that is why I use AdBlock xD

I hope that's more than just "I can has AdBlock so I see no adz"
Old October 17th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Tsutarja

Nature: Jolly
While I do use Adblock Plus, I don't use it to necessarily block ads because they're a nuisance (well, the are..), but because they can subtract from the reason on as to why I visit a website, such as news and media sites.

Most of the time, advertisements don't appeal me when I see them, which is why I don't ever click on one. If I wanted to have advertisements, I would either listen to the radio or watch TV because that's just how the industry is.

Super Smash Staff Collab
mod pairs family twitter pc social sites
Old October 17th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Nature: Relaxed
I don't use Adblock anymore. :/ I stopped when I realized that a lot of people make or supplement their living off of the ads on their websites (or in my realization case, Youtube videos) and for the help they might get from me and the enjoyment I get from their content, it's worth a little discomfort. I will donate to get rid of ads quite joyfully though, since I don't like seeing them as a rule.

But I do ignore ads almost 100%. If they're very well picked out, I might click them but that's very rare. Usually the only click throughs a site will get from me are with Amazon or Play-Asia affiliate links where I'll purposefully seek them out when I'm buying something anyway just so my favourite sites get a cut for little effort on my part.

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old October 17th, 2012, 07:28 PM
awolfsquared
I like to do 'Garfield Mondays'
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
I have adblock as well, but either way they don't affect me. If I'm using a browser like Firefox or Explorer that I don't have AdBlock on I usually ignore them. I don't bother clicking on most ads cause they usually don't interest me.

"I have no idea what I'm doing. but I know I'm doing it really, really well."- Andy Dwyer
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Art Gallery | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old October 17th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I use adblock, but I disable it on some sites because I know they need the revenue from ads. I've had my fair share of ads, but I tend to ignore them because they're usually irrelevant to any of my interests.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old October 17th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Denny Hamlin
The S o u l Survivor

Nature: Brave
I don't pay attention to any ads. I don't really see a point in any of them, because 95% of them are fake. I mean...those WOMAN LOST X POUNDS USING THIS ONE SIMPLE TRICK ads...they don't grab my attention, but they do make me laugh. :P

I only see those ads when I'm using the library computers at college, here at home I don't. yay adblock lol
Old October 20th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Doppelgänger
Community Supporter

I notice them all the time since a lot of them pop out at you with graphics and moving pictures and such. Do I take time to actually look at them though in interest? Nope. I just keep scrolling or X out of them.

"A living, breathing, double of oneself usually tormenting the person they look like..."
Old October 20th, 2012, 05:42 PM
curiousnathan
woop woop

Nature: Careful
I currently use adblock right now, after a good friend of mine showed it to me... ;). But when I didn't use it, I just generally ignored them. They did catch my eye, but I would never click on them, except if I accidentally did.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 02:37 PM
Wobbachomp
Donator Tier 1

Nature: Adamant
I have Adblock Plus however it's disabled on a lot of sites because I understand they need revenue.
When I do click them, it's almost always an accident though as there are very rarely any ads that interest me.
Old October 26th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Azure Rathalδs
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
I, like many people, use a ad blocker on all sites. I feel that most ads on the internet are horrible and completely uninteresting. Oh, and they also waste internet data. The only site where I turn it off is Animal Crossing Community, where there is a special on line currency which is impossible to obtain without a ad blocker.
Old October 28th, 2012, 02:06 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
I've clicked on some ads that were very relevant to my interests - like when I'm looking for cameras, for example. I don't like ads that take over the page or noisy ads. These ads... I think the mute button is there for a reason, no?

Usually, though, the ads make no sense. (I blame me opting out)

Side note: Apparently, on Internet Explorer 9, if you attempt to use tracking protection, as collateral damage, ads end up not being loaded under most cases.
Old October 29th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Hannah
exceptionally ordinary

Nature: Calm
I usually ignore ads that don't really interest me, but when it does, I check it out. It led me to wonderful games that I grew to like, for example, Zwinky. I don't use adblock, which I only found out now, for some reason.

i ii iii iv
you're just as
sane as i am

Old October 29th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Hikamaru
the hamster
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I usually ignore any ads I see on the internet, I don't really get persuaded to get the product.

EDIT: 4,900th post!

paired with awolfsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | profile | credit | supporter

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here