The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 17th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric

Nature: Calm
It's always nice to have people who are willing to adopt pets who need new owners or were formerly abused... it can be hard to train them or be friends with them again, so I totally applaud people who take up the steps to do so.
Old October 17th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Celebi View Post
Aw, that's horrible Poor puppy, at least he'll be in a good home with your parents now. What kind of dog is he?
No idea but I can take some photos when he arrives.
Old October 17th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Esper

Every time I hear about a cat or dog (or kitten or puppy) that needs a home I want to go out and take it home with me and have to argue in my head when I can't actually do that.

deviantart blog pair
Old October 17th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

I do too, at the animal shelter I just want to take all the animals home because seeing them in cages is depressing.
Old October 17th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Tyrantrum
none pizza with left beef
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrantrum
I despise those commercials that play the sad music while showing footage of animals that were abused, asking you to donate. I can't stand them; every time they come on, I just want to curl up in a ball and cry. What makes me feel worse about them, is the fact that I'm unable to donate because I have no money whatsoever. They sure do one hell of a job of screwing with my emotions.

(x) Tumblr
(y) Gallery
Previously Eeveon
Old October 17th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeveon View Post
I despise those commercials that play the sad music while showing footage of animals that were abused, asking you to donate. I can't stand them; every time they come on, I just want to curl up in a ball and cry. What makes me feel worse about them, is the fact that I'm unable to donate because I have no money whatsoever. They sure do one hell of a job of screwing with my emotions.
Is it bad that I laugh at these commercials? I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this, but while I do feel bad for those animals, I find it hysterical that people would go to such lengths to protect the animals. They are just that: animals.
please dont kill me now
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

Old October 17th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
There's a cat that keeps coming to my back door and crying and crying. My mom went out there with a spray bottle in hopes it would go home but it just backed out of range and kept meowing and waiting for us to let it inside. ;_;

WE CAN'T HAVE ANOTHER CAT. I'M SORRY ADORABLE KITTY.
Old October 17th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
The poor thing. ;; Is there a Humane Society that you can take the cat to at least?
Old October 17th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmotone8 View Post
Is it bad that I laugh at these commercials? I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this, but while I do feel bad for those animals, I find it hysterical that people would go to such lengths to protect the animals. They are just that: animals.
please dont kill me now
They piss me off actually. Any kind of charity commercial does. "Please donate just X amount a month" "it's only X amount a day" etc drive me mad. It's just the strain in their voice as they say it really infuriates me.

If I could have taken the cat I probably would have Toujy.
Old October 17th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryPeaches View Post
The poor thing. ;; Is there a Humane Society that you can take the cat to at least?
We only have one car that my mom uses from 8AM until 9PM or later so nothing would be open by that time. It went away and only came back once, but I was sitting in a place where it couldn't tell I was there so it just meowed for a minute and then left before I had even decided whether or not to do anything. XD;

I wish we could have another cat but my cat would...not get along with another kitty. :(
Old October 17th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

Quote:
please dont kill me now
Isnt that the kind of attitude that leads to their abuse in the first place? I know their animals, but I think they deserve to be treated kindly and not abused and neglected.
Old October 17th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Ausaudriel
Chief Mechanic

Quote:
please dont kill me now
I mean I kind of understand where you're coming from. There are so many humans out there that need help that it seems kinda silly to spend so much time, energy, and money on animals. It could be put to better use, but I don't really think protecting animals is the worst cause out there. At least it shows that people have the capacity to care about something other than just themselves.
Old October 17th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Celebi View Post
Isnt that the kind of attitude that leads to their abuse in the first place? I know their animals, but I think they deserve to be treated kindly and not abused and neglected.

When we start telling them that they should have spent their money on helping humans, we might as well start telling people that they should spend their money on helping people instead of buying a Mac or going to Japan. It makes as much sense to judge individual people for purchases when they could have donated to charity as it does to judge an organization for spending its money protecting abused animals.

But when you get into "I laugh at pictures of animals being abused", you...might need to work through some things.
Old October 17th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Lance
Master of Dragons

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Lance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausaudriel View Post
I mean I kind of understand where you're coming from. There are so many humans out there that need help that it seems kinda silly to spend so much time, energy, and money on animals. It could be put to better use, but I don't really think protecting animals is the worst cause out there. At least it shows that people have the capacity to care about something other than just themselves.
This, pretty much. What happened to a little empathy?
Old October 17th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

I just don't watch the adverts for things like that. I'll change the channel so that I don't have to look at the dying animals. That's not to say that I don't care about animals (anyone that knows me in real life will tell you the exact opposite), but I think the advertising money could be put to better use.
Old October 17th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

I wonder how many people donate from advertising?
Old October 17th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Morkula
Play the Game

I can't stand those commercials with the abused animals - I usually just turn my attention to something else just because I'm a dog lover and hate seeing the sad faces or the animals that are sick and/or dying. Breaks my heart.

paired with cherrim ~ big brother of arago
4p games ~ 4p forums ~ backloggery ~ twitter
Old October 17th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Ausaudriel
Chief Mechanic

Yeah. :(

Here's an interesting question. I'm just curious, don't take this the wrong way. XD Do you also change the channel or stop paying attention when it's little kids in Africa?

I'm just curious like Toujours how effective their advertising is.
Old October 17th, 2012, 02:34 PM
shenanigans
hear me roar

Personally I just stop paying attention to them. I know it's probably bad of me but... yeah. I can't stand them at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkula
I'm a dog lover
Why did I not know this before?
Old October 17th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Well it's not necessarily bad to not pay attention and certainly not a bad thing if you choose not to donate your money XD Well I mean I guess it could go to a worthy cause but it's not like you're obligated to or anything.
Old October 17th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
That is sweet to take pets in though! I would but my flat doesnt allow pets.. and I am all petted-out really.. :C I will be sad when my cat back in Canada dies.. she is 17.. and I've known her practically my whole life :c..

My lizard died a couple years ago.. sad times, too :ccc
Old October 17th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Antemortem
I'M HETERO FOR KAYA SCODELARIO

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
Someone is absolutely no more swayed to donate just because of advertising than they were before they saw a commercial/poster/billboard, etc. Someone is not educated simply off of what an advertisement has told them - these issues lie awake and visible in people's eyes all the time and an advertisement makes them no less or no more apparent or problematic than they were before said advertisements existed!

tl;dr ads are bad for the soul!

kawaii in the sheets
Old October 17th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Egh.. marketing is sometimes necessary to make the public aware of the "product" is all.. and they sponsor stuff at least!
Old October 17th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Yeah, advertisements aren't all bad. A lot of times a product is really good and no one knows about it because they don't advertise well. :(
Old October 17th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Like Bio oil! I mean, I find it really helps hydrate my skin more than anything!
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links