The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials

Notices

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 18th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Advertise here
I admit, it's growing on me. I've only spent some of today on it, and I'm finished now. Still, there's 6 possible rules, 3 ways of deciding the prizes (1 random card, all cards of your colour, winner takes all), a way to define the opponent's deck, and a way to set the prize card for winning.

It should be much more playable now.
Old September 18th, 2012, 02:10 PM
zingzags
Creator or Pokemon Serenity

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
I admit, it's growing on me. I've only spent some of today on it, and I'm finished now. Still, there's 6 possible rules, 3 ways of deciding the prizes (1 random card, all cards of your colour, winner takes all), a way to define the opponent's deck, and a way to set the prize card for winning.

It should be much more playable now.
I never quite played it, I barely even know the rules, I just know there are pokemon cards on the board.
Pokemon ebony
and
Xenotime:
Old September 18th, 2012, 03:42 PM
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

Quote:
Since this thread is called "What I'm Working On", I thought I'd also show another little something I've been tweaking.

Better graphics, new game rules, a way to set game rules, and one or two bug fixes.
Several new possibilities for developers, nice!

I think that a way to use the player party as the cards would be very nice.

What you think about making also Tetra Master (the Final Fantasy IX variation with 4x4 table)?
Old September 18th, 2012, 04:01 PM
the__end
Pixel Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL . View Post
Several new possibilities for developers, nice!

I think that a way to use the player party as the cards would be very nice.

What you think about making also Tetra Master (the Final Fantasy IX variation with 4x4 table)?
ahh tetra master is awesome! :la:
but dont forget the official pokemon minigames like the unown puzzle...
right now i am working to rip some attack animations from BW but i have a few of the old puzzles redone to better graphics...
they are made so that they would fit perfectly in the essentials screen...
maruno if you want to see i can send you the the images so you can judge yourself if its worth adding to essentials...
Old September 19th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Maruno

Tetra Master just looks like more of the same, and I'm not interested in creating another mini-game anyway.

You don't need my permission to show me something you think should be added to Essentials, you know.
Old September 19th, 2012, 11:17 AM
zingzags

Quote:
Tetra Master just looks like more of the same, and I'm not interested in creating another mini-game anyway.

You don't need my permission to show me something you think should be added to Essentials, you know.
The only other mini games left is basically pokemon contests, an ruins of alpha if its ever going to be in development anyways.
Pokemon ebony
and
Xenotime:
Old September 19th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Pia Carrot
Gen II Hacker | PHO Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingzags View Post
The only other mini games left is basically pokemon contests, an ruins of alpha if its ever going to be in development anyways.
I believe Help-14 made a Ruins of Alph puzzle script, it may need updating though. Would be nice to be incorporated into Essentials. I don't know if HGSS RoA is much different, but here is Help-14's script:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53284931/Unown%20Puzzle_2.rar

Old September 19th, 2012, 01:05 PM
zingzags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Arms View Post
I believe Help-14 made a Ruins of Alph puzzle script, it may need updating though. Would be nice to be incorporated into Essentials. I don't know if HGSS RoA is much different, but here is Help-14's script:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53284931/Unown%20Puzzle_2.rar
I just looked at it, there is a few things wrong with it. Mostly the mouse, and the other ones are just visual things like red outline on what the player is currently holding/choosing.
Pokemon ebony
and
Xenotime:
Old September 19th, 2012, 03:59 PM
the__end
Pixel Artist

Quote:
I just looked at it, there is a few things wrong with it. Mostly the mouse, and the other ones are just visual things like red outline on what the player is currently holding/choosing.
do you think you can make it work with the current version of essentials?
Old September 20th, 2012, 04:09 AM
IceGod64
My imagination.

Nature: Naive
Everyone DOES remember that essentials has like, four Mini-games now by default, right? That's quite enough of them when the actual battle scripts still need so much TLC.

Maruno, do you know how wish works in essentials? I don't have the time to test it right now, but it SHOULD Heal for half of the User's maximum HP. In Gen III and IV, it healed for for half of the TARGET's HP(Making it much less effective for healing). That is probably how it works.

Old September 20th, 2012, 05:17 AM
Maruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceGod64 View Post
Everyone DOES remember that essentials has like, four Mini-games now by default, right? That's quite enough of them when the actual battle scripts still need so much TLC.
Six: Triple Triad, Slot Machine, Voltorb Flip, Lottery, Mining, and that sumo Duel thing.

I agree, mini-games shouldn't be my priority. I'll add ones made by other people, though, if they're up to scratch.

Quote:
Maruno, do you know how wish works in essentials? I don't have the time to test it right now, but it SHOULD Heal for half of the User's maximum HP. In Gen III and IV, it healed for for half of the TARGET's HP(Making it much less effective for healing). That is probably how it works.
Wish currently works as it did in Gen 3. I've made a note on the wiki's Function codes page about it.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 02:12 PM
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

I agree with Ruins of Alph Puzzle inclusion, the Help-14's script or a new one, this is very easy to be done.

Quote:
Tetra Master (virtually) is a 4x4 version with some random position in game board that can't be put cards.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:30 AM
Maruno

I've just finished improving the bridges in Essentials. They now work even better than in my tutorial, in that they're much more flexible to use and now support dependent events. What might make them harder to work with, however, are that the ends of a bridge which you can go both over and under need to be "capped" by two sets of events, and vertical bridges involve an invisible tile used to override certain passabilities.

The only inadequacy of the bridges now is that reflections in still water beneath the bridge aren't shifted downwards to give the impression that the bridge has a height. It's always been like that, though, and such situations can easily be avoided in mapping. And if I'm honest, I haven't actually tried to fix this yet, so it may be possible.
Old October 5th, 2012, 10:59 AM
IceGod64
My imagination.

There's something that occured to me recently.

You know how a trainer is required to have two Pokémon to participate in a double battle? In Pokemon Colosseum and XD, there is no such limitation. Would it be possible to allow 1 vs 2 or 2 vs 1 battles in essentials? I think that's a feature that should be available.

Old October 5th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Maruno

Am I the only one who, whenever someone mentioned Pokémon XD, reads it as "ahaa!" in their head?

It's probably possible to have unbalanced double battles, although I suspect many scripts would need to be changed to allow for the missing Pokémon (knowing exactly what you've got to work with, 2 Pokémon per side, makes setting up the battles so much easier). It also seems rather unfair. It's not something I'd really look into unless I've got nothing else to do.
Old October 5th, 2012, 01:23 PM
zingzags

Quote:
Am I the only one who, whenever someone mentioned Pokémon XD, reads it as "ahaa!" in their head?

It's probably possible to have unbalanced double battles, although I suspect many scripts would need to be changed to allow for the missing Pokémon (knowing exactly what you've got to work with, 2 Pokémon per side, makes setting up the battles so much easier). It also seems rather unfair. It's not something I'd really look into unless I've got nothing else to do.

But it does give the player a challenge, but I suspect it is only going to be useful for the first 3 minutes of the game until someone catches a pokemon, unless they have the option to send out one pokemon.

Also I want to try to work on a tic-tac-toe game when I have the time.
Pokemon ebony
and
Xenotime:
Old October 5th, 2012, 03:35 PM
IceGod64
My imagination.

There are parts of my story that involve a double battle. I wanted it to be able to happen regardless of whether the Player has at least two Pokemon or not, as it is a story-related battle. I would've made a thread asking about it, but I figured there may be other people that would want it that way.

Incidentally, I have started called Pokemon XD just "Pokemon: Gale Of Darkness" in some places for the very reason you explained, Maruno.

Old October 5th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Maruno

For the first time ever, I've actually managed to test roaming Pokémon! The addition of a couple of debug options (see the locations of all roamers, make roamers roam) helped with that. I haven't tested the actual encounters yet, though, just the roaming.

I've also figured out how to make cracking ice tiles (the ones you fall through after stepping on them twice) using nothing but an event. See the attached picture.

Quote:
Also I want to try to work on a tic-tac-toe game when I have the time.
Make sure to add some artificial stupidity to the AI. If it plays perfectly, it can never lose (and it's easy to play perfectly at Noughts & Crosses), which defeats the point of it being a game.

I prefer to make games where there's no AI involved; it's just you versus the rules.

Speaking of tile games, there are several to choose from. A tile-placing game (like the Ruins of Alph puzzles mentioned above), a 15 puzzle, a shuffling puzzle (same as a 15 puzzle but with all 16 tiles, and you swap two adjacent tiles around), and so on. Any of these would be fun to have.
Attached Thumbnails
cracked ice event.png‎  
Old October 6th, 2012, 03:23 PM
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

Quote:
There's something that occured to me recently.

You know how a trainer is required to have two Pokémon to participate in a double battle? In Pokemon Colosseum and XD, there is no such limitation. Would it be possible to allow 1 vs 2 or 2 vs 1 battles in essentials? I think that's a feature that should be available.
In my game, with a huge effort, I managed to do 1 vs 2 battles if the player had at least one faint pokémon.

Quote:
I believe that this title name had chosen by this reason (plus Lugia being the pokémon X).
Old October 16th, 2012, 01:01 PM
IceGod64
My imagination.

I just thought about another thing.

It makes an exception when you try to start a single battle with a registered partner. Wouldn't it be better to either exclude to partner trainer and have it come back when the battles over or something? There's a part of my game where you have a registered partner that you can walk with, and I think if would be better to have him automatically excluded in single trainer battles.

Normally, this wouldn't be an issue as I have created borders where the partner would leave you automatically or not let you leave, but I'm concerned about the player possible exploiting it by blacking out or something.

Old October 16th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Maruno

I'll have a look into that.

Does anyone know what the Round Charm (a Key Item from B2W2) technically does? I know it "increases the likelihood of getting eggs", but by how much? Also, can anyone find the item description for it?
Old October 16th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Rick1234
Lead developer for ...

Nature: Quiet
Not sure if I am reading wrong but I believe (From what I'v read) that the likely hood is increased by 33% unless I am mistaken for the shiny Charm. BUT! I just read Marrilands review on the item and it only increases the Amount of time at which your pokemon will breed at. So I would say its about 25% increase.
Old October 17th, 2012, 04:00 PM
the__end
Pixel Artist

Quote:
Does anyone know what the Round Charm (a Key Item from B2W2) technically does? I know it "increases the likelihood of getting eggs", but by how much? Also, can anyone find the item description for it?
Well i dont know how much it rises the chance to get eggs but i have the descriptions...
in the english copy i have it says:
Oval Charm
"An oval charm said to increase the chance of Eggs being found at the Day Care."

here are some more new key items:
Permit
"A permit needed to enter the Nature Preserve. Only a few know about this place."

Shiny Charm
"A shiny charm said to increase the chance of finding a Shiny Pokemon."

hope i could help...

Last edited by the__end; October 17th, 2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old October 18th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Maruno

So it's called the Oval Charm, eh? Makes sense.

Failing any actual information about its effect, I have decided to make it halve the chance of NOT finding an egg each cycle (256 steps). That is, it goes from [0,20,50,70] to [0,60,75,85]. I'll change it once I find out what it actually does.
Old October 18th, 2012, 09:35 AM
the__end
Pixel Artist

If you need some more info from the games just tell me...

Sponsored Links

Advertise here