The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Fan Clubs & Groups

Notices

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 19th, 2012 (03:24 PM).
Phantom
Uh, I didn't do it
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I don't think a lot of the people coming in to argue for religion's sake know exactly what atheism is.

It's a lack of faith. They don't 'believe in that god, but I believe in this one'. They don't believe in any god. They simply agree that there isn't a god or higher power.

Now, yes there are different types of atheists, including agnostic/weak atheism. Standard cookie cutter atheist does not believe in ANY higher powers. I get people can believe or not believe whatever the hell they want, but it just doesn't make sense to me that a Thelemite can be an atheist. It just doesn't work. Either you believe in higher power(s) or not.

Also, AChipOfftheOldBrock, Shining Raichu is the founder of PC's The Rainbow Connection... Which a few here, including myself, are members.
Old October 20th, 2012 (11:35 AM).
Esper

Atheism is sometimes hard for people to grasp. It's a lot like people who choose not to have romantic relationships. Lots of people assume they can't maintain a successful a relationship or "just haven't found the right one yet." They assume relationships are the right way to be and that for anyone who doesn't have one there's something wrong. Sound familiar?

But more than that it's a choice like religion is, only it's a choice to have nothing in that area of their life. Atheism isn't a religion any more than a person without a relationship is in a relationship.

deviantart blog pair
Old October 20th, 2012 (11:49 AM).
Phantom
Uh, I didn't do it
Community Supporter

True.

I'm a huge fan of Sam Harris. He's a bit... forthright, but he isn't afraid to get down and dirty and get straight to the point.

From his essay, "There is No God, and You Know It"...

"It is worth noting that no one ever need identify himself as a non-astrologer or a non-alchemist. Consequently, we do not have words for people who deny the validity of these pseudo-disciplines. Likewise, “atheism” is a term that should not even exist. Atheism is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make when in the presence of religious dogma."

A bit of reading lit.

10 myths - and 10 Truths - About Atheism
Misconceptions about atheism <- I suggest believer wanting to come into this thread and debate read this.
Old October 21st, 2012 (03:51 AM).
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
On the subject of "misconceptions about atheism", one that I run into a lot that's not on that list is that people choose atheism because it's easy. When you're an atheist, there are no restrictions placed on your life in the hope of attaining an afterlife and so it gets a reputation for being the "easy way out". But I haven't found this to be true at all. Just as with choosing any religion, choosing the absence of religion is not without sacrifice. Personally, I think the hardest part of forsaking a belief in God is abandoning the concept of destiny and God's Great Plan, and in turn, the notion that you are inherently any more or less special than anybody else.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old October 27th, 2012 (07:00 PM).
Phantom
Uh, I didn't do it
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
Personally, I think the hardest part of forsaking a belief in God is abandoning the concept of destiny and God's Great Plan, and in turn, the notion that you are inherently any more or less special than anybody else.
Which is why so many of die hard religious people can't even begin to understand how someone can not believe in god. To them you are literally condeming yourself to Hell, and you have no qualms about it. They feel compelled to save you, after all, it's what any good person would do for someone else in need.

To us, this just comes off as unbearably annoying and needlessly bothersome.
Old October 28th, 2012 (09:28 AM).
Esper

My friend just showed me the most hi-lar-i-ous thing.

I'm already a winner!

deviantart blog pair
Old October 28th, 2012 (10:30 AM).
Went
Marshtomp

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
I think all of us are, as long as you have talked to enough people about this XD

On a Leave of Absence. Please contact other higehr staff.
Old October 28th, 2012 (02:17 PM).
Phantom
Uh, I didn't do it
Community Supporter

I love how Pascal's Wager is in the free space! :p
Old November 24th, 2012 (03:54 PM).
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
I could most likely go to Google and find the answer to this, but what would be the point of that when it may generate discussion?

Can somebody please explain to me what exactly is Pascal's Wager?

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old November 24th, 2012 (06:00 PM).
Phantom
Uh, I didn't do it
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
I could most likely go to Google and find the answer to this, but what would be the point of that when it may generate discussion?

Can somebody please explain to me what exactly is Pascal's Wager?
Pascal's Wager is considered the safe route, and is used by many theists to confirm their beliefs.

Pascal was a French guy who made a wager. Basically he said that it's safer to believe in God and be wrong, than to not believe in God and be wrong.
Old November 25th, 2012 (11:55 AM).
Esper

Oddly enough, Pascal's Wager isn't one I ever heard when I was growing up and butting heads with people over religion. (I attribute this to it being a more philosophical argument, and philosophy requires a little more critical thinking than just telling someone they're wrong.) I did hear "Maybe you evolved from apes, but I didn't!" more than once though.

deviantart blog pair
Old November 25th, 2012 (12:00 PM).
Oryx
CoquettishCat
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I came to Pascal's Wager by thinking on my own, but after a while I decided it couldn't actually work. Because there's no "faking" belief in God, and if God was real he would totally know that you were just saying you believed in him and what was really in your heart. Also it doesn't address the fact that believing in God when God isn't real, if you're not 100% certain and content in your religion, hurts you in the long run in the one life you have, so it is harmful to believe in God at times. Aaaand it doesn't address the thousands of religions in existence. For all we know Greek gods are the real gods, and they prefer you be an atheist than worship a fake god or something. Who knows?

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old November 25th, 2012 (02:40 PM).
LightningAlex

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LightningAlex Send a message via Skype™ to LightningAlex
Hey guys, I'm an atheist, too! I want to join this club.

I completely agree with Toujours on Pascal's Wager.

Any spriter interested in having their Fakemon appear in a fan game? Or designing fake Mega Evolutions? Shoot me a PM
Old November 25th, 2012 (10:12 PM).
Gumball Watterson
"79% of stair accidents happen on stairs."
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
If Pascal's wager is logical, it applies for anything, no? According to Pascal's wager, I should also practice Buddhism just in case the ultimate goal really is Nirvana, because if I don't, I might be reborn into a cricket or something. On the other hand, I should practice Islam just in case Allah banishes me to Jahannam if I don't! Pascal's wager doesn't really hold any water at all.
Old November 26th, 2012 (12:46 AM).
Phantom
Uh, I didn't do it
Community Supporter

^ Hense why it's easily overturned.

It's normally used by Christians, since Pascal was a Christian philospher. It's a last resort argument for believers when approached by non believers.
Old November 26th, 2012 (10:06 AM).
FrostPheonix
Eternity.

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomX0990 View Post
^ Hense why it's easily overturned.

It's normally used by Christians, since Pascal was a Christian philospher. It's a last resort argument for believers when approached by non believers.
Hum, truth be told, I thought like that for a while (as in, believed in pascal's wager) but then I realized it's just really stupid. And I also think that if a christian uses that as a reason to believe, he's not really christian at all.... if you believe, it's because you believe God is real, not to be safe.
Old November 26th, 2012 (10:19 AM).
Magic
Guardian of the Great Rift

I got preached at today at uni by some guy from a union doing a survey Was lovely.

He seemed to think there was more evidence for Jesus living than there was Julius Caesar... It was pretty weird. He didn't like how I said his evidence was rubbish :X.
Old November 26th, 2012 (10:38 AM).
LightningAlex

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LightningAlex Send a message via Skype™ to LightningAlex
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSign View Post
I got preached at today at uni by some guy from a union doing a survey Was lovely.

He seemed to think there was more evidence for Jesus living than there was Julius Caesar... It was pretty weird. He didn't like how I said his evidence was rubbish :X.
It's easy to deal with such people. Just quote Dr. House: "Oh, you're selling religion? I'm sorry, I bought some islam yesterday." They go away after than xD

Any spriter interested in having their Fakemon appear in a fan game? Or designing fake Mega Evolutions? Shoot me a PM
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links