The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Clubs

Notices

Pokémon Clubs This forum is for those who wish to start a club within the community. This forum is for Pokémon clubs; Fan Clubs & Groups is for everything else.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

View Poll Results: Drawing Contest Theme!
Legendary Water Types 10 30.30%
Starters 17 51.52%
Best Of [insert region] 11 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 19th, 2012 (03:43 PM).
CourageHound
Trust & Courage. Nothing More

Nature: Lonely
Well since were on the subject of the art contest, how do you guys view youselfs as artists/aspiring artists? I'm an aspiring artist. My freinds say i'm really good but, i know and seen alot of people who are way better :L . That being said i'm trying to work on point of view and horizon, for exacpmle a basculin jumping out the water at something(with the view being slanted to an angle so more of the water, basculin, and the background can be seen).

Also, how are we being judged? Sorry if i'm prying too much or anything. But is it like coolness, deatail, how we portrayed the pokemon, etc.?

Thanks!
Old October 19th, 2012 (03:52 PM).
Olli
I wanna see you be brave
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourageHound View Post
Well since were on the subject of the art contest, how do you guys view youselfs as artists/aspiring artists? I'm an aspiring artist. My freinds say i'm really good but, i know and seen alot of people who are way better :L . That being said i'm trying to work on point of view and horizon, for exacpmle a basculin jumping out the water at something(with the view being slanted to an angle so more of the water, basculin, and the background can be seen).

Also, how are we being judged? Sorry if i'm prying too much or anything. But is it like coolness, deatail, how we portrayed the pokemon, etc.?

Thanks! :)
Don't know if that topic is very relevant to the club, but heck, as long as the posts include something club/topic related, then such a side-topic is acceptable. But to answer your question, I'm horrible at anything that involves drawing, and the only kind of art I'd call myself at least a little good at is music. But when it's drawing, no, I'd just make eyes bleed, although I do love checking out art, no matter whether it's good or not. That said, it'd be great seeing some creations you guys had related to Water type Pokemon outside of the contest if you had any or if you were willing to draw something, but oh well, up to you.

As for how it's gonna be judged, these kind of contests usually just go around the quality of the drawings, although if Krazzki had any specific way he wanted to judge, then that'd be great ^^ At least we'd see some variety :p
Old October 19th, 2012 (03:53 PM).
Krazzikk

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halipoke View Post
Name:
Halipoke (And Hali to friends :D)
2 Partner Pokemon:
Mimi the Slowpoke and Polly the Poliwag
Why do you want to swim with us?:
Are you kidding? I love swimming and I adore the beautiful and wonderful water-type Pokémon. I hope you won't let me drown, my dear swimmers
Answer Current topic:
Milotic or Gyarados, eh? I think I'm getting political here and say that Milotic is the queen of the seas while Gyarados rules the seas as a king. Gyarados sure is more badass than Milotic BUT OH GOD IF MILOTIC IS POWERFUL. ....There goes my political answer, I'm answering Milotic.
Welcome Halipoke (can I be your friend? :3)

YAY MILOTIC WILL RULE DA WORLD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmotone8 View Post
[cd=font-family:Nevis]How on earth did I overlook this club. Gah, better late than never I guess. >.<
Name: Cosmotone
2 Partner Pokemon: Prinplup and Empoleon xD
Why do you want to swim with us?: First of all, I've always chosen the water type starter in every single play through of every game I've ever played. Second, I've always loved Water types, partially because I love the water myself. xD
Answer Current topic: Milotic is da bomb! I always found this ugly beast who looks like he'll puke on you or something. And Milotic has a better moveset and such as well. :x
Yes Cosmotone you should be ashamed of yourself for looking over this beautiful clooob. Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralaia View Post
Also I have a question : Can we draw more than one pokemon, when the competition begins? :D
Sure! Why not?

Ok Guys, I will be picking a winner, and they will recieve a special prize, hand wrapped by me(idk if it will be wrapped tho tbh ;\) and you will luv it ;3

Votes Will be counted and reviewed October 26, so get in your votes while you can!
Old October 19th, 2012 (04:06 PM).
CourageHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli97 View Post
Don't know if that topic is very relevant to the club, but heck, as long as the posts include something club/topic related, then such a side-topic is acceptable. But to answer your question, I'm horrible at anything that involves drawing, and the only kind of art I'd call myself at least a little good at is music. But when it's drawing, no, I'd just make eyes bleed, although I do love checking out art, no matter whether it's good or not. That said, it'd be great seeing some creations you guys had related to Water type Pokemon outside of the contest if you had any or if you were willing to draw something, but oh well, up to you.

As for how it's gonna be judged, these kind of contests usually just go around the quality of the drawings, although if Krazzki had any specific way he wanted to judge, then that'd be great At least we'd see some variety :p
Thanks for the feedback Olli! Although i do realize i diiiiid get kinda off topic. But ya know Olli, anyone can be good artist if they had the right tools, dedication, a teacher, and an imagination to let the ideas flow. I was self taught since i'm not able to get an art teacher atm but as good as others say I am, i still practice.

: Back on topic!

I looked at both Gyarados' and Milotic's stats again and they have the same BST, their abillities sort of rival eachother on different ends of the spectrum so i beleive this could go either way based on usage and mostly preference as its very much debatable comparison, however my position stays on the side of Gyarados
Old October 19th, 2012 (09:55 PM). Edited October 19th, 2012 by Krazzikk.
Krazzikk

Quote:

Thanks!
I don't want to give too much away, but I guess it would help if you had some kind of rubric :3

You will be judged based on 3 things!
  • Creativity
  • Detail
  • Style

Imagine you're a Water type Gym Leader. What would your gym look like? Would there be a puzzle, other gym trainers? How many Pokemon would you have and who would they be?
Old October 20th, 2012 (03:55 AM).
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Nature: Careful
If I were a water type gym leader... I'd probably have part of my gym be underwater. I think that the puzzle would have to do with stepping on objects that float or sink. If you stepped on a certain tile (like an Ice Floe or something) you'd stay afloat. If you stepped on something that couldn't hold your weight you'd sink down to the bottom. And on the bottom, there would be platforms you could step on that would make you go up to normal level. There would be other trainers too.
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

Old October 20th, 2012 (02:08 PM).
CourageHound

My gym would be located in a domed aquarium. The actual gym would consist of a flooded maze like structure that you must traverse through on the back of one of one of your surfing pokemon or on a raft provided with one of your pokemon. You both must swim through the maze and locate the 4 switches that lift the 4 gates to the gym leader(Me). If surfing your pokemon must stay ahead of a weak current while locating the switch. If on a raft, you and your pokemon must work together paddle to the switches so its all about teamwork. However quite a few of the switches are actually traps that open a trap door to a trainer you must fight. If you are surfing, trying to use dive might me a good idea. Finnaly I would have 6 pokemon:

Spoiler:

Gyarados
Swampert
Slowking/Empoleon
Lanturn/Gastrodon
Tentacruel
Sharpedo/Kingdra

All the ones with a slash have a 50% chance of fighting either or.
Old October 20th, 2012 (03:02 PM).
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Nature: Careful
I did this a while ago when applying for a hack I was going to be in. Its my team, pretty much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmotone
Preferred In-Game Name: Weston

Trainer Type: Water
Pokémon #1:
Lanturn Item: Damp Rock
Confuse Ray
Volt Switch
Hydro Pump
Rain Dance

Pokémon #2:
Kingdra Item: White Herb
Draco Meteor
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Brine

Pokémon #3:
Kabutops Item: Focus Sash
Rock Slide
Aqua Tail
X-Scissor
Rock Polish

Pokémon #4:
Milotic Item: Lum Berry
Ice Beam
Dragon Pulse
Surf
Light Screen

Pokemon #5:
Sharpedo Item: Choice Band
Earthquake
Ice Fang
Night Slash
Dive

Pokémon #6:
Empoleon Item: Air Balloon
Brine
Ice Beam
Flash Cannon
Hydro Cannon
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

Old October 21st, 2012 (08:25 AM).
Krazzikk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmotone8 View Post
I did this a while ago when applying for a hack I was going to be in. Its my team, pretty much.
Cool, but don't Gym Leaders usually have less than 6 Pokes? O.O
Old October 21st, 2012 (08:37 AM).
boomYah
Pokemon Geek Kid

Nature: Brave
Name:
Owen

2 Partner Pokemon:
Starmie (Water and Psychic, so Fire types, rock types, ground types, fighting types and a few more are screwed) and Milotic (sexy beast, sexy moveset)

I have always loved water types, ever since I've played Pokemon. My first was a Squirtle, it was so cute at first and then it evolved into this super strong water type. I have then usually ALWAYS picked the water type, Mudkip, Piplup, Totodile and Oshawott. They also have the ability of Surf and Waterfall, so you can always go out for a swim with them.

Answer Current topic:
Milotic vs Gyarados? Well, Gyarados may look all big and buff, but Milotic has a great moveset. Milotic also looks good (no, I do not want to date a Pokemon) and Gyarados looks like a great fat lump thing. If Gyarados had any electric type moves (I think he learns a few) Milotic could be screwed, but Milotic is also super speedy.
The result of that would probably be a tie, I think. :3
Old October 21st, 2012 (10:24 AM).
CourageHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazzikk View Post
Cool, but don't Gym Leaders usually have less than 6 Pokes? O.O
When they are the last gym leader they usually have 5. But I guess we're just not usuall gym leaders
Old October 21st, 2012 (05:22 PM).
Krazzikk

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomYah View Post
Name:
Owen

2 Partner Pokemon:
Starmie (Water and Psychic, so Fire types, rock types, ground types, fighting types and a few more are screwed) and Milotic (sexy beast, sexy moveset)

I have always loved water types, ever since I've played Pokemon. My first was a Squirtle, it was so cute at first and then it evolved into this super strong water type. I have then usually ALWAYS picked the water type, Mudkip, Piplup, Totodile and Oshawott. They also have the ability of Surf and Waterfall, so you can always go out for a swim with them.

Answer Current topic:
Milotic vs Gyarados? Well, Gyarados may look all big and buff, but Milotic has a great moveset. Milotic also looks good (no, I do not want to date a Pokemon) and Gyarados looks like a great fat lump thing. If Gyarados had any electric type moves (I think he learns a few) Milotic could be screwed, but Milotic is also super speedy.
The result of that would probably be a tie, I think. :3
Welcome to the Ocean!:wobuffet:

Well, all Pokemon have their counters, what makes a Pokemon good, is having the least possible amount of those counters ;D
Old October 23rd, 2012 (03:52 PM). Edited October 23rd, 2012 by CourageHound.
CourageHound

Well...looking at the poll it seems we're gunna be drawin' some starters. I wonder which... *looks at his partner pokemon*

Well anyway, i've been thinking about my experience fighting water gym leaders. I wanna ask you guys what exactly do you think makes them tough? I tried to cover most weaknesses in my gym team. But looking at all the pokemon I had it's evident I was the last gym leader. Do you think a gym leader late gym would be as effective or difficult(Ex: Misty in FR/LG. Since it was so early on in the game and your limited pokemon options, if you didnt pick bulba saur you were in for a tough fight. Pikachu doesnt count cuz thundershock is weak and he cant take a hit)? Or do you think thats subjective to purely weaknesses? On a nutral battleground disreguarding weakness/resistances I beleive water/rain teams are a true force to be reckoned with. However, I beleive that grass types shouldnt be a problem due to water types frequently carrying dehabilitating ice moves. Its more-so the elctric types that can cause water teams trouble. Kinda how my manetric was key to defeating wallace in emerald. Pokemon that carry type coverage to our main weaknesses I think are usually the downfall of water teams. However there are pokemon like Kingdra and Lanturn to cover for that. One giant blow to water teams in fith gen was the horrid Ferrothorn and his grass/steel annoyingness. What are some direct ways you guys think we, as water gym leaders can combat ferrothorn&ferroseed the afformentioned threats?
Old October 31st, 2012 (06:08 AM).
arbok
cobra pokemon

hey I have returned from exile.
Gyarados or Milotic?
I prefer Gyarados because I have more experience with the brute than the beauty.
Milotic has been ridiculously hard to obtain in past and that alone puts me off a bit. I think the only time I've actually used Milotic was in rental Battle Tower. It was good and every single Milotic I've faced has been a challenge (Cynthia...) but it doesn't play to my strategy as well as Gyarados. I usually go for offensive power rather than defensive, water types I feel suit the role of an attacker far more than a defender, which works better as Normal, Steel or Poison.
Gyarados also has the Water/Flying typing which I think is only shared by Wingull. While this does make it vulnerable to electric attacks, it adds grass resistance, separating it from other water types further.
While I do love both designs Gyarados edges it for me.

Bulbasaur-Ivysaur-Venusaur
Ekans-Arbok
Zubat-Golbat-(with nat. dex)Crobat
Nidoran(M)-Nidorino-Nidoking
Gastly-Haunter-Gengar
Tentacool-Tentacruel
Old November 2nd, 2012 (01:28 PM).
Krazzikk

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbok View Post
hey I have returned from exile.
Welcome back! We missed you!

Quote:
Well...looking at the poll it seems we're gunna be drawin' some starters. I wonder which... *looks at his partner pokemon*

Well anyway, i've been thinking about my experience fighting water gym leaders. I wanna ask you guys what exactly do you think makes them tough? I tried to cover most weaknesses in my gym team. But looking at all the pokemon I had it's evident I was the last gym leader. Do you think a gym leader late gym would be as effective or difficult(Ex: Misty in FR/LG. Since it was so early on in the game and your limited pokemon options, if you didnt pick bulba saur you were in for a tough fight. Pikachu doesnt count cuz thundershock is weak and he cant take a hit)? Or do you think thats subjective to purely weaknesses? On a nutral battleground disreguarding weakness/resistances I beleive water/rain teams are a true force to be reckoned with. However, I beleive that grass types shouldnt be a problem due to water types frequently carrying dehabilitating ice moves. Its more-so the elctric types that can cause water teams trouble. Kinda how my manetric was key to defeating wallace in emerald. Pokemon that carry type coverage to our main weaknesses I think are usually the downfall of water teams. However there are pokemon like Kingdra and Lanturn to cover for that. One giant blow to water teams in fith gen was the horrid Ferrothorn and his grass/steel annoyingness. What are some direct ways you guys think we, as water gym leaders can combat ferrothorn&ferroseed the afformentioned threats?
Woh, complex question ;p

That's kinda tough to answer, but I think what pokemon are available at the time is a big factor. I was very frustrated with Elesa's gym for example because I couldn't find any friggin rock type pokemon at the time and... ok, I wont go there...

The contest info has been posted!!! Go check it out at the main post!!!
Old November 2nd, 2012 (02:56 PM).
arbok
cobra pokemon

Just noticed I did the wrong topic! Apologies.
Gym leader team for water types.

Sharpedo
Strong offensive power, Rough skin hurts!! (painful memories of Ruby)

Golduck
Reasonable strength and powers, every gym leader has at least one weaker Pokemon to pad things out

Gyarados
Power!!! Don't tell me this thing doesn't frighten you if some trainer brings it out (If you don't lead with an electric type)

Starmie
Crowning jewel of the team, wreck foes with psychic and water attacks

That would be the Gym Leader Team, assuming I was around Gym 5-6, if I was an elite 4 member (Or even rematch) that would be different and bring out the big guns.

@CourageHound I don't actually recall struggling with any Water Gym Leader much apart from Crusher Wake. What's his name in B&W2 was the last Gym Leader but I didn't have much of a problem with him. I don't think its where the leader is but what their teams are and how prepared you as the player are to take them down. I think Brock is actually a good example, everyone starting with Bulbasaur/Squirtle thought he was way too easy for 'the first boss' people with charmander disagreed. Exact same opponent but different levels of toughness for different players. It's true that the further on you play the more type coverage you're more likely to have but certain types will still breach your defences (My current W2 team has little against electric types) so its if you think that grass type will deal with water types you may find Dewgong or Pelipper an unpleasant surprise. If you bring an electric type neither of them prove too much of a problem. Same way Quagsire will ruin electric types but fall to grass.

Ekans-Arbok
Gastly-Haunter-Gengar
Tentacool-Tentacruel
Old November 4th, 2012 (06:54 AM).
CourageHound

So its basically gym leader and character dependent. In my experience with crasher wake was sort of a challenge due to me not having an electric type. Having a grass type didn't matter cause of ice fang.
Old November 4th, 2012 (10:39 AM).
Krazzikk

Yep, it really comes down to that.

~New Topic!~
Are there any Water type Pokemon you would like to try, that you haven't been able to use yet?
Old November 4th, 2012 (10:52 AM).
Olli
I wanna see you be brave
Community Supporter

Are there any Water type Pokemon you would like to try, that you haven't been able to use yet?

Pretty much all the fifth generation Water types.. and all of the other fifth gen Pokemon. I can't say how big expectations I have for it, since there's been quite a lot of hate for the Pokemon of the fifth gen, but that shouldn't really affect how they function in battle, so what's a bad concept against that? As for any generation I've played, the only one I can think of at this point is Milotic because I've never had the patience to catch a Feebas, but other than that, not anyone I can think of at the top of my head. I would say any event exclusive Pokemon, but except for Phione/Manaphy, the only one yet is Keldeo. All in all, I'm pretty content with the Water types I've used so far, and they're pretty much the ones I'm more excited to use, since I already know what they're capable of, and already love them.
Old November 4th, 2012 (12:27 PM).
arbok
cobra pokemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazzikk View Post
~New Topic!~
Lapras
I haven't used Lapras in any main story before. When I was younger I didn't think it would be strong because it doesn't evolve (oh youth...) by the time you get it the Kanto games it feels too late to use it, by that time I have a strong water type I've raised myself, only recently have I discovered where Lapras is in Gold/Silver + remakes but I again already have a water type, as I prefer type diversity I don't bother going for it despite its awesomeness.

Ekans-Arbok
Gastly-Haunter-Gengar
Tentacool-Tentacruel
Old November 7th, 2012 (05:50 AM).
Synerjee
A madman with a box.

Hi! May I join? :D

Name: synerjee
2 Partner Pokemon:
Why do you want to swim with us?: Water-type pokemon are one of my favourite types! <3
Answer Current topic: Are there any Water type Pokemon you would like to try, that you haven't been able to use yet?
I would like to use Starmie, Lanturn, Lapras and Kingdra. I've heard that they are very strong and reliable.

pairs | twitter | showdown | lake valor | pc family
Old November 7th, 2012 (01:11 PM).
Olli
I wanna see you be brave
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by synerjee View Post
Hi! May I join? :D

Name: synerjee
2 Partner Pokemon:
Why do you want to swim with us?: Water-type pokemon are one of my favourite types! <3
Answer Current topic: Are there any Water type Pokemon you would like to try, that you haven't been able to use yet?
I would like to use Starmie, Lanturn, Lapras and Kingdra. I've heard that they are very strong and reliable.
Welcome to the club synerjee! Hope you'll have fun, and hope to see you stay active in the club ^^ Out of curiousity, what is the exact reason you haven't tried theseo out yet? I know at least Lapras is pretty hard not to get your hands on in whichever first generation game you go through, but I guess it could be either because you haven't owned the games with the specific Pokemon available yet, don't know where they are, or simply didn't want to try them out at the time. Just asking.

The only one I ever recall using out of the four is Lapras, and I'd say, if you have better ones available, then you probably shouldn't use it. I'm not saying it's bad, because offensively, it's actually quite good, but when it comes to defense, its Ice typing generally pushes it way down. It's more of a "quick to get it over with" kind of Pokemon, and for the first generation games where Gyarados and Starmie are the only really good option, it's recommended as a choice, but if you can get other ones, I'd say use those. Don't get me wrong, I love Lapras, it has just let me down one too many times to enjoy it in battle as much anymore. But if you want to, then try it out, it may just be me being as bad as Pokemon as I am dragging it down with me in my pit of fail instead of admitting I'm just bad at the games :<
Old November 7th, 2012 (01:22 PM).
Hikamaru
this is all yours
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky

I probably think Starmie, that thing hits so hard and with a simple moveset consisting of Surf, Ice Beam, Psychic and Thunderbolt it can decimate a lot of things in its path due to its high Speed and Special Attack. I've used a few Water-types on my team but never Starmie. Maybe I might do it in B2/W2 but I already planned who my Water-type team member is (Oshawott!) so maybe I might consider using the one I have in Black when my Samurott gets boring.

Oh, and welcome to the club Synerjee.

battle server | tumblr | profile | supporter
pairs | the welcome lounge | fairy-type club

Old November 7th, 2012 (06:03 PM).
Synerjee
A madman with a box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli97 View Post
Welcome to the club synerjee! Hope you'll have fun, and hope to see you stay active in the club ^^ Out of curiousity, what is the exact reason you haven't tried these out yet? I know at least Lapras is pretty hard not to get your hands on in whichever first generation game you go through, but I guess it could be either because you haven't owned the games with the specific Pokemon available yet, don't know where they are, or simply didn't want to try them out at the time. Just asking.
Thanks for the welcome, Olli and Hikari. I'm sure I will. :) Hmm..the reason would be because I've mostly picked water starters in the games that I've played, if not fire starters, so there was no need for another water-type in my team. And if I did pick a fire starter, the ones I have mentioned above weren't in my list of to-get pokemon before. Furthermore, pokemon like Kingdra needs to be traded for it to evolve, and I don't have the trading option available to me at the moment. Does that satisfy your curiousity? xD

pairs | twitter | showdown | lake valor | pc family
Old November 8th, 2012 (07:25 PM).
Krazzikk

Rawr, welcome Synerjee (can I call you amanada :D?)

I didn't know Kingdra was that good :O

I recently got a horsea from dream world, so maybe I'll try to evolve it and try it out :3

What makes Kingdra good? o-o

Sponsored Links