• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Land of the Maple Leaf ~ Canadian Club

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Given my one visit to Grand Piraire I can certainly see how something tragic like that happen... I hope that everyone else is coping well with the tragedy though =(

As for poutine, ya I only get the regular type of poutine at NYF. It's a tragedy that the last time I went to Quebec, I didn't have time to get a "real poutine." It felt like going to Italy without trying pizza...

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I always wanted to go to the Edmonton Mall. Being the biggest one in the world haha.
Here in Montreal, we got the biggest underground mall in the world tho, and kinda got tired of it lol x3

Years
I've never been to the West Edmonton Mall, but I'm not the kind of person that finds a big appeal about going to a big mall. I guess working in one does kind of kill that as a fun activity, though. But, I do have some family up in Edmonton, so maybe one day I'll end up going just to say that I did.

And I've never been a big fan of gravy, so I'm not all that fond of poutine, but my sister absolutely loves it. This got me to thinking about other foods that you can only find in Canada, and was surprised to see that aside from small specialty stores, Aero, Caramilk and Coffee Crisp chocolate bars can't be found in the US (and they call them candy bars, not chocolate bars).

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
I don't think that it's the biggest mall anymore... and it's just like the Montreal underground mall: if you live there, you get tired of it or that it loses its specialty. It's just a very big mall lol.

And really, for guys, there's nothing to buy there XD; Not all, but most of the shops there are for the ladies, and you better be loaded if you intend to spend an entire day shopping in West Edmonton Mall...

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Literally the only store I remember being in West Edmonton Mall aside from a Yogen Fruz was an HMV. XD I was 6 when I moved away.

But any mall gets boring when you live near it. My parents live about 10 minutes away from Vaughan Mills right now which is a huge American-style mall that's a pretty big tourist attraction (I assume because it's also across the street from Wonderland) and it's one of my least favourite malls for being so crowded and so boring. :(

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Any mall can become boring if you go there alot. But if you go in different malls around the world, you'll be walking around it unlike the mall that you live 10 minutes right next to haha.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
I'm pretty sure that you do that for all malls for the most part: window shop. Just a lot of nothing to do around here in Alberta, or maybe just my lifestyle... most of the time hanging out for me involves visiting friends' place or inviting them to come over and that's it. Not too much of going out to any shop or any particular places lol.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Unfortunately, that just sounds like any other shop XD;

Other "canadian" things: how's hockey for everyone though? I'm totally not a sports person and don't find it all that exciting XD Honestly can't care about it, but what about everyone else?

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I've got alooot of Montreal Canadien fans here, and when they lose a match, I just laugh at everyone saying our home team sucks now and they kep saying they'll win the cup next year. But been like 19 years they haven't won it haha.

Years
Unfortunately, that just sounds like any other shop XD;

Other "canadian" things: how's hockey for everyone though? I'm totally not a sports person and don't find it all that exciting XD Honestly can't care about it, but what about everyone else?

Even though I'm a fan of an American team (I just can't bring myself to cheer for the hometown Canucks), I absolutely love both playing and watching it. The fact that there have been 4 work stoppages in the last 20 years, including this one, makes it hard for me to love the NHL, though. It baffles me that players and team owners are shutting the league down because the players don't want a ~12% paycut, even though their average yearly salary is $2.5 million. I would gladly take a 50% paycut if it meant getting paid to do something I love. Oh well, at least TSN and Sportsnet usually replace hockey with... poker?

Cherrim

Years
I don't really pay much attention to sports especially now that I don't have cable or anything, but I hear enough about the Leafs through the grapevine that I stay informed. Not that there's much to be informed of because they suck every year. (You'd think that since I'm not really attached to any team I'd pick a team that doesn't suck but my dad would disown me. :P)

...although thus far they have a perfect season! They haven't lost a single game!

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
I remember that tweet about the Leaf having a perfect game and I totally laughed XD;

In general you'll think that Canada will be better in hockey than others considering how it's our national sport... I remember talking with someone in PC, and she said that "my friend has only heard of Edmonton because they were insane enough to play hockey outdoor when it's -30C". Can't say that Edmonton Oilers are much better, not that I like watching hockey or anything on TV these days XD; at least we did come close to winning at least once within the past 19 years =P

Cherrim

Years
:( Isn't Edmonton in danger of losing the team right now? I haven't heard a whole lot about it since I don't pay close attention to NHL news but I thought I'd heard something about looking for an arena and possibly moving the team?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
There's some talks about it because Edmonton is talking of building a new arena, yet the taxpayers aren't too happy with the price tag... so there's some issues going on there. For the meantime though, I think that the team is still going to stay. However I'm a bad person to ask since I too don't pay much attention to NHL. The only thing I know about the NHL is the recent lockout that's related to salary issues.

Years
Yeah. The owner, Daryl Katz said that if they can't come up with a solution to a new arena, that he'd relocate the team to Seattle.

That means there wouldn't be any Battles of Alberta to look forward to anymore D:

Just, like, renew the lease to the Rexall Center or something ffs.

The only problem with Rexall Place is that the building is near 40 years old, and it wouldn't be worth the $75 million to renovate just to keep it running for another 6 or 7 years. Also, I think the whole moving the team to Seattle was just used as a bluff, as the KeyArena is smaller, and in even worse shape than Rexall.

If there absolutely has to be a relocation, I would think that Quebec City or the Hamilton areas would be better options than Seattle, simply because the NHL knows it would get much more revenue moving the team there (just like Atlanta relocating to Winnipeg).

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
And then there's me as the Edmontonian of this club: "where's Rexall Place?" XD

I know it's in Edmonton surely but I've never been there, and if you give me pictures of 5 buildings, I will fail that multiple choice question of "which of the following is the Rexall Place?"

All I know is that I hope the team DOES'T make it to the semi/finals again, cause no mater if we win or lose, there's massive riots, random destruction and crap to handle afterward in the city's Whyte Avenue, where all the bars are. Sigh... Why can't we Canadians watch sports peacefully, isn't that right Vancouver?

Cherrim

Years
I'm pretty sure Hamilton is an absolute no-go. It would be an excellent place in theory--Hamilton either already has a big enough stadium or they're excited to build one (forget which) and there are plenty of people who'd go to the game but it's very close to Toronto. I swear I remember reading part of the reason Winnipeg got the Jets back instead of Hamilton getting a team was that Leafs fans would just go to Hamilton for the cheaper games and generally everyone at every game would probably just be from Toronto so it's not much of a home team. Hamilton is probably one of the most successful places they could put an NHL team money-wise but I don't think it would have the "feel" they seem to want.

:( Last time I went to an NHL game was when I was in Edmonton because it's SO expensive in Toronto. I'd really like for Hamilton to get a team so I could at least go to games there, lol.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
What's this... hockey that you speak of in person really? I do not comprehend!

*never been to a SINGLE NHL game, or even watched one*

And for saying that, I'll probably be deported back to asia for committing treason against Canada.

Years
I don't even know the prices for admission to any games, but I know it'd be a lot more than anything I have right now. It is kinda nice to see the Jets back, but now people in Québec want the Nordiques back, from what I've heard.

I know that ticket prices for the Canucks are pretty ridiculous, even against the lesser teams of the league. My dad and I were looking to go to a game last year, and the cheapest pair of tickets we could find was $145 for the pair, and they were at the back of the nosebleeds. And the game was against the Columbus Blue Jackets, who were by far the worst team in the league last year. I remember hearing it was like this across the rest of Canada too, as the 7 cities were all in the top 8 for most expensive tickets on average. But I'm sure fans would be willing to shell out their money if a team came back to Quebec (just like they have in Winnipeg), which is why it always baffles me that the NHL tries to get teams like Phoenix to succeed, even though they can't fill the arena when 50% of tickets are given out for free.

In other Canadian news, there was a 7.7 Magnitude earthquake off the coast of BC last night, near the Haida Gwaii/Queen Charlotte Islands (resulted in only minor structural damage and no injuries). I personally found out about it through Twitter, when I saw that #PrayForCanada and #PrayForVancouver were trending worldwide. I was honestly scared, thinking there was some horrible disaster that happened near me, but it just turned out to be Twitter blowing things out of proportion, and not knowing their Canadian geography (the earthquake was more than 800 km away from the city, or the distance between Vancouver and Northern California).

Back