The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:03 PM
Gunter's Mew
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Quiet
This is more of a trivial fact then headcanon but related nevertheless. I don't believe I have enough posts for linking to the source but Google is always there for you. Hopefully you can just take my word for it.

As we all know SNES came before GB/GBC. Hopefully that common sense. Earthbound (Mother 2) was a SNES RPG that they wanted to try to sell in the US so badly that they even include a guide in the giant box that it came in.

Ok, one of the things that inspired the guy who made Earthbound was The Body which the short story Stand By Me was based on.

On Pokemon G/R/B/Y (pretty sure it was on Yellow as well) the TV in your house have a scene from Stand By Me.

Sure, it could just be a totally random reference but it could also been a way for Pokemon show reference from Earthbound. You could also just type the two simple keywords "Pokemon Earthbound" into Google to find other stuff that people think are references from Earthbound, some less believable while others like Pokemon naming their towns after colors like how Earthbound name theirs by numbers (Fourside) are more so.

Worth pointing out that Ness didn't really have a father at home, love to ride bikes and lastly he wear a cap.

Basically, the fact could be simply because Ness didn't had one, Red doesn't get one either. It could just by a copypasta design choice.

Now back to the fun discussion of headcanon. My favorites are currently:
1. He died in a war.
2. Team Rocket Boss is him. Explain why his gym was right next to his town.
3. The guy who help you in Brock's gym was your father too scared to tell you so. He travel gym to gym to help you out which explains why the gyms allow such a guy...He shouldn't be there!
Just for fun I am running a massive favorite Pokemon poll. Unlike most common polls this will list the most favorite to the least favorite at the bottom of the page. I won't be mad if you only vote for a few of them though I would love it if you vote for all of them. PM me if you voted for all of them, I would like to keep a list of people who actively vote so I can PM them for the next round.

-Sadly not by my choice you are forced to have a Facebook or make an account on the site to vote. I recommend making an account, the site is quite useful for tournaments of any kind and you don't even need to verified the account at all. My existing account been unverified for over a year now out of laziness.
-You may vote as little or as much as you like though once you hit the button then it is set in stone for any votes that you did made. For example you can do half of the 1st gen one day and the other half the next. You just can't change your mind later for anything you already voted for. If the button no longer there then you voted for everything possible for that round.
-I will only update this when I feel I have a decent amount of votes to give a decent result.
-You may vote for that Pokemon for any given reason. Just go for your personal favorite.
-If you need a reference of their designs then you can use this or your favorite site with images.
Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:53 PM
LividZephyr
Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks

Send a message via AIM to LividZephyr Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LividZephyr
I have always wondered about this. It's strange, really. There isn't even a question. Why? How does it make any sense? It's just boring doing the same-old, same-old.

Although cliche, one story I came up with was the protagonist setting out trying to find their father, only to discover that he was the head of the local terrorist organization, Team Terrible (yes, I was that terrible with names at the time). That would be an interesting twist nonetheless - trying to find one's father. The Pokemon games are going to need that, and it seems to be the next logical step, or at least something to add in...

Credit to whomever drew that Hilda picture. Lemme know if that's you.

~*~ 3DS FC: 3540-0366-4191 ||| Mii name: Andy ||| IGN: Amanda ~*~
Old October 23rd, 2012, 11:55 PM
adventure
across K A N T O

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter's Mew View Post
3. The guy who help you in Brock's gym was your father too scared to tell you so. He travel gym to gym to help you out which explains why the gyms allow such a guy...He shouldn't be there!
Haha, this is a great theory! It would be such a neat twist if the next game revealed this.
Old October 24th, 2012, 12:21 AM
SPEEDIE
*Insert Random Joke Here*

I always thought your Mom was a single mother who doesn't like talking about their ex husband/parter
Or maybe your Mom doesn't know who the father is either for whatever reason
Old October 24th, 2012, 04:46 AM
ZettaSlowbro
Veteran

Nature: Docile
I just think in the first games it wasn't necessary to the story to add one, and (like most Pokemon games do) they just stuck with the habit of not adding one; except in third gen where they threw a curve ball.
All I know is things would be different around here if Blastoise was MY dad.

White 2 FC: 4427 9506 5247
White FC: 1377 9722 4917
3DS FC: 1736 0570 0480
Old October 26th, 2012, 04:08 AM
RenegadeShroom
Unhatched Egg

If you press A when you're facing a TV in Celadon's department store in FR/LG -- dunno if it's the same in HG/SS, R/B/Y or G/S/C -- some text will come up saying something about the player's dad. I forget exactly how it goes, but it's nothing major, just a throwaway things saying that "dad would like this" or some such. I'd say that's some solid evidence that Red/Leaf know their dad, don't you think?
Old October 26th, 2012, 08:09 AM
ZettaSlowbro
Veteran

A Charizard could have eaten your dad...

<_<

Old October 26th, 2012, 12:28 PM
DLMuerte
Mercenary Chief

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Skype™ to DLMuerte
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeShroom View Post
If you press A when you're facing a TV in Celadon's department store in FR/LG -- dunno if it's the same in HG/SS, R/B/Y or G/S/C -- some text will come up saying something about the player's dad. I forget exactly how it goes, but it's nothing major, just a throwaway things saying that "dad would like this" or some such. I'd say that's some solid evidence that Red/Leaf know their dad, don't you think?
True, true. Same goes for Black in your room, like I said before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZettaSlowbro
A Charizard could have eaten your dad...

<_<
Heheh, I see what you did there. Although, if a Charizard did eat your dad, then he would be in a field involving Pokemon, right (Trainer, Professor, etc)?

I think, that they should seriously consider your father being the Champion- or every weekend he's home, and you get to battle him (after the E4). He would be on a random route during the day, or battling other trainers.

Or what if your dad was your rival? Or at least one of them? Or even a situation like Roxie and her father in B2W2?

Yamagi Sosuke: I could get naked again
Sephear: no
Yamagi Sosuke: I think that would work swell

YA | GH | S: WoF | SAO: S
Old October 27th, 2012, 11:39 PM
ZettaSlowbro
Veteran

Better yet, your dad is a Blastoise, and to make things even better when you beat the E4 he joins your team.

Old November 3rd, 2012, 08:11 PM
True Honey
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Calm
I don't think I have ever considered where the dad would be? This is interesting because, I never thought twice about only seeing the mother in the Pokemon games. Though this may be because, I lived only with my mother in my later high school years.

Avatar & Signature: The Little Flying Jumpluff by ~ alright123100 (deviantART)
Old November 3rd, 2012, 08:15 PM
ArcanaFlaera
Guard of the Generation

Nature: Relaxed
I honestly never thought about the player's dad in the games. Weird, because I'm much closer to my father than my mother.
The only dad I have wondered about is Ash's father. I always thought it was either Giovanni or Lance for whatever reason.
White 2 FC : 4299 0937 8549
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links