Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page [ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old October 23rd, 2012 (06:43 AM).

When I try and load my Emerald ROM in A-Trainer, I get an error message saying "Subscript is out of range - DrawTile8@ModLZ77", and then I can't proceed any farther? This is the first time that this has happened when I've used it, so I'm not sure what the issue is. It isn't just my modified ROM, a clean one gets the same message.

Also, the Bug.txt file gets this printed out into it: "20121016|224113|6.1.7601|0.9.1|DrawTile8|9|modLZ77|Subscript out of range|4" if that helps identify the problem.

This is kinda a big deal, so if someone could help me fix this, I'd really appreciate it.
Old October 23rd, 2012 (09:56 AM).

After the credits of Fire Red is there a way for me to pick where I respawn (I don't want to in Pallet Town)? I thought it would work by changing sethealplace to another value other than 1 but I can't seem to get it to work. Thoughts?
Old October 23rd, 2012 (10:26 AM).
Chilling like snorlax

I need some help

I just walkt into the forest neer route 5. but now I cant seem te get out.
is this a bug or...?

I can only get back to route 5

what to do?
Old October 23rd, 2012 (02:41 PM).
Karen Gillan <3
Gold Tier

Nature: Timid
Will someone please look at the attached picture and tell me what movement permission that blocktype should have. If i am correct, i remember being able to walk on that block in pokemon games, so i would like to know what the permission i need is. I currently have it as 1 (Not Passable)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg‎ (378.1 KB, 18 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old October 23rd, 2012 (02:51 PM).
Back to ROM hacking. :D

Nature: Adamant
Quote originally posted by PokeInfuse:
Will someone please look at the attached picture and tell me what movement permission that blocktype should have. If i am correct, i remember being able to walk on that block in pokemon games, so i would like to know what the permission i need is. I currently have it as 1 (Not Passable)
Put them, as well as the whole top part as "10".
Then put the stairs that connects to that as "0".

Assuming that's your first "level".

A level is something after a 0 (a connecter). So basically, if you have stairs (0), then a mountain, that's considered level 3, and you'd use 10. If after the 10 you use stairs (0) and then another mountain, you would use 14. The regular (C) is considered level 2, and then level one is if you went under ground (cave indents). I hope that helps explain it...
Old October 23rd, 2012 (03:09 PM).
Karen Gillan <3
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by itman:
Put them, as well as the whole top part as "10".
Then put the stairs that connects to that as "0".

Assuming that's your first "level".

A level is something after a 0 (a connecter). So basically, if you have stairs (0), then a mountain, that's considered level 3, and you'd use 10. If after the 10 you use stairs (0) and then another mountain, you would use 14. The regular (C) is considered level 2, and then level one is if you went under ground (cave indents). I hope that helps explain it...
So all non passable blocks = 1
Walkable blocks = C
As soon as you go up 1 or more = 10?
Old October 23rd, 2012 (04:12 PM).

So all non passable blocks = 1
Walkable blocks = C
As soon as you go up 1 or more = 10?
This is how it should look.

Spoiler:
Old October 23rd, 2012 (05:24 PM).
Karen Gillan <3
Gold Tier

This is how it should look.

Spoiler:
Could you also show me an image of multilevels? A low, normal then high? Thankyou
Old October 23rd, 2012 (07:14 PM).

I have a few questions about sprites

1) I just made a sprite in NSE and want to import it into my game so I can use it (it's going to be a trainer sprite, so I want to be able to see it in advanced trainer). Does anyone have a tutorial on this?

2) Anyone have an Ash sprite around? I am terrible with making sprites and I would like to have ashe in my game. Preferably it's him standing facing towards you with pikachu beside him.

3) If anyone has any custom made sprites they don't mind me using (of course you'll get credit) may I borrow them?

Thank you =)
Old October 23rd, 2012 (11:41 PM).
Always Remember Forever&After

Nature: Calm
how do you add berries to firered?
also how do you make that mud thingy where you need a mach bike to pass for firered?

+ForeverDash on PC's Battle Server | Pair | VM/PM |Partner In Crime
Old October 23rd, 2012 (11:58 PM).
The Legendary Master of Light!
Crystal Tier

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by PokemonMasters:
how do you add berries to firered?
also how do you make that mud thingy where you need a mach bike to pass for firered?
You would need to add in the same Assembly Routine as Ruby and Sapphire has in order for berries to occur, as well as a real-time clock. There's already a tool that can implement a Day/Night system, it's called Day&Night (D&N) or Day, Night & Seasons (DNS).

And I'm not exactly sure where the berry routine binary data is in RSE, sorry.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm gradually learning to use Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old October 24th, 2012 (05:36 PM).
Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
I have a question. Hope someone can answer.

I inserted a custom flower into Fire Red. When I click "Load New Blocks", the flowers come up perfectly. Then only problem is, when I go in-game to check out the flowers, they aren't there... They're just the default flowers. This is strange because they show up perfectly in A-Map but not in-game. Any solutions?

Thanks for your time in advance
Old October 24th, 2012 (08:12 PM).
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
Could you also show me an image of multilevels? A low, normal then high? Thankyou
Spoiler:

If you want a quick and easy way to identify what each movement permission does, then just hover your mouse over the tile and an explanation should appear in the bottom left corner of A-Map. The same thing applies for the long list of permissions on the right hand side of the program.

Quote originally posted by awipe1:
1) I just made a sprite in NSE and want to import it into my game so I can use it (it's going to be a trainer sprite, so I want to be able to see it in advanced trainer). Does anyone have a tutorial on this?

Thank you =)
Here's a tutorial to do exactly that :P

Quote originally posted by CrystalStatic:
I have a question. Hope someone can answer.

I inserted a custom flower into Fire Red. When I click "Load New Blocks", the flowers come up perfectly. Then only problem is, when I go in-game to check out the flowers, they aren't there... They're just the default flowers. This is strange because they show up perfectly in A-Map but not in-game. Any solutions?

Thanks for your time in advance :)
That's because the tile in A-Map is more of a place holder than an actual tile - The game loads a pre-set animation over it regardless of what is there in A-Map.

If you want to change the animation to something else or remove it completely then you could use AnimEditor or NSE (which has it in the animation in its bookmarks). I'd suggest using AnimEditor as you can also increase or reduce the frames in the animation, change which tiles display it or even make completely new animations for different tiles.
Old October 24th, 2012 (09:14 PM).
THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.

How do I make it so more than one trainer class can have gym leader or champion battle music?
Old October 25th, 2012 (01:18 AM).

Quick question.

Me and a friend are working on a rom hack, we both just started doing this.

What we want to know is, can we take firered, delete all the maps/events/scripts everything and start fresh?

or do we have to use all the maps they give us and just delete all the events off it, resize the maps and do it that way?
Old October 25th, 2012 (02:15 AM).

Hi, I'm hacking Pokémon Emerald, and I'm trying to find the setobedience stuff (byte 0x801D402 in FireRed), does anyone know where it is in Emerald? I'm trying to make wild Mews and Deoxyses obey.
Old October 25th, 2012 (04:17 AM).
I liek Mudkipz

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Herpahermaderp
Quote originally posted by SnowPin:
Quick question.

What we want to know is, can we take firered, delete all the maps/events/scripts everything and start fresh?

or do we have to use all the maps they give us and just delete all the events off it, resize the maps and do it that way?
Deleting all the maps/events/scripts would take a lengthy bit of time. Maps can be deleted in A-Map, but the events/scripts you'd have to search through every single offset in the game and delete them separately,one by one.
Old October 25th, 2012 (04:38 AM).
Hi I'm dawg

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tajaros
Quote originally posted by SnowPin:
Quick question.

Then Use Jpan's Engine and patch it to your game. But, the Maps won't be deleted you can just edit them you know...
Old October 25th, 2012 (01:52 PM).

I've been on these forums awhile, but never posted, hiya!

Anyway, I'm not EXACTLY sure if my question fits this thread, so apologies.
Question:
So far the only way to change what music plays at any given time in FireRed (specifically in battle) is MMX's Music Replacement hex code thing, right?

I'm trying to use it, but I've only been learning hex for about 3 weeks (because relying on tools is for noob hackers).
Here's the main routine, as you can see it's not changed from the one at sfc.pokefans.net
(just go to the lessons page, "Fancy Knowledge #3." I'm not at 15 posts yet and I don't think you would appreciate me gumming up your forum trying to reach 15 before posting this. The site is just there for reference, hopefully all the information needed is in this post)

Spoiler:
0071DB20 FE B4 05 1C 1B 48 20 49 00 F0 33 F8 00 22 90 42 þ´...H I.ð3ø.".B
0071DB30 0B D0 03 88 1B 49 8B 42 07 D0 AB 42 05 D1 17 48 .Ð.ˆ.I‹B.ЫB.Ñ.H
0071DB40 19 49 00 F0 26 F8 05 88 12 E0 13 48 16 49 00 F0 .I.ð&ø.ˆ.à.H.I.ð
0071DB50 20 F8 00 22 90 42 0B D0 03 88 12 49 8B 42 07 D0 ø.".B.Ð.ˆ.I‹B.Ð
0071DB60 AB 42 05 D1 0E 48 10 49 00 F0 13 F8 05 88 FF E7 «B.Ñ.H.I.ð.ø.ˆÿç
0071DB70 28 04 FE BC 0D 4A 04 B4 0D 4A 0E 49 40 0B 40 18 (.þ¼.J.´.J.I@.@.
0071DB80 83 88 59 00 C9 18 89 00 89 18 0A 68 01 68 10 1C ƒˆY.É.‰.‰..h.h..
0071DB90 00 BD 08 47 14 10 00 00 15 10 00 00 16 10 00 00 .½.G............
0071DBA0 17 10 00 00 FF FF 00 00 55 E4 06 08 0F D1 1D 08 ....ÿÿ..Uä...Ñ..
0071DBB0 9C 32 4A 08 CC 32 4A 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 œ2J.Ì2J.........

And my edited musicloader:
Spoiler:
01 49 08 47 00 00 20 DB 71 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

The game loads perfectly, all music and sounds: check.
however, I have been, as of yet, unable to actually REPLACE any music.
quick example:
Spoiler:

#org 0x74079A
setvar 0x1014 0x109
setvar 0x1016 0x10A
trainerbattle 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x87407C5 0x87407D9
msgbox 0x87407E9 MSG_NORMAL '"I can also say something after the..."
setvar 0x1014 0x10A
setvar 0x1016 0x109
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x7407C5
= I will crush you!!!

#org 0x7407D9
= You crushed me[.]

#org 0x7407E9
= I can also say something after the battle

(Yes I know it's in pokescript. The website specifically says pokescript, and who am I to argue with the great and powerful overlords known as the people who can actually hex?)

The music values are just there for test, I forgot which is which, I actually created TWO scripts that flops them around.
I'm TRYING to replace basic battle music. What I replace it with isn't important at the moment, I'm testing this in a clean ROM before even daring to attempt it on my hack, which uses an extended music table.
I am not EXACTLY sure what the problem is, but I may have narrowed it down:
a. I'm just using the wrong music values?
b. I'm just using the setvar command wrong? (unlikely imo, setvar isn't that hard)
c. There has been some babble about variable values being the cause of most, if not all problems had with this loader, if that is the case, help me out!
d. I derped up a pointer or something. Very likely.

Whatever the problem is, please point me in the right direction for fixing it! (Or if this is the wrong thread, please point me to the right one!)
[I KNOW there is a scripting help thread, but with all this hex stuff I was unsure if that was appropriate!]

Thank you so much in advance!
Old October 25th, 2012 (05:12 PM).
One Truth Prevails

Could anyone help me figure out how many colors I can have in a tileset? It would be a huge help if someone could let me know so I don't have to manually count every different color in the palette. I'm trying to make a completely custom tileset for a hack, and I need to know what my limitations are so I don't waste time making tiles that can't be used.
Old October 25th, 2012 (06:30 PM).

Quote originally posted by Conan Edogawa:
Could anyone help me figure out how many colors I can have in a tileset? It would be a huge help if someone could let me know so I don't have to manually count every different color in the palette. I'm trying to make a completely custom tileset for a hack, and I need to know what my limitations are so I don't waste time making tiles that can't be used.
16 colors per tileset. One is the background (transparent) color though, so that leaves 15 pretty much. But each tile can use different palletes.
Old October 25th, 2012 (07:55 PM).
One Truth Prevails

16 colors per tileset. One is the background (transparent) color though, so that leaves 15 pretty much. But each tile can use different palletes.
So does that mean that in theory I could have each tile with it's own 15/16 color palette? Or is there an absolute limitation?
Old October 25th, 2012 (08:54 PM).

I asked this earlier, but got no reply so i'm going to ask again.

How do I add more sprites to the sprite collection for trainers? For example, when I go to advanced trainer, the sprites only go up to 147, I want to add more. How would I do that? If it is possible to do so, how do I add the sprite I want?

Also can someone teach me how to add more person event sprites? I think that will eventually come in handy =P
Old October 26th, 2012 (03:42 AM).
I liek Mudkipz

Send a message via Skype™ to Herpahermaderp
Quote originally posted by awipe1:
I asked this earlier, but got no reply so i'm going to ask again.

How do I add more sprites to the sprite collection for trainers? For example, when I go to advanced trainer, the sprites only go up to 147, I want to add more. How would I do that? If it is possible to do so, how do I add the sprite I want?

Also can someone teach me how to add more person event sprites? I think that will eventually come in handy =P
Actually, if you would take the time to scroll up a few posts, you would see that DrFuji has answered your question by linking you to a tutorial on how to do such a thing.
Old October 26th, 2012 (04:24 AM).

Quote originally posted by Herpahermaderp:
Actually, if you would take the time to scroll up a few posts, you would see that DrFuji has answered your question by linking you to a tutorial on how to do such a thing.
I'm so sorry I missed that.
Thanks to him for the tutorial and thanks to you for pointing it out but now I have another question, Instead of replacing a sprite, is there a way to add more sprites? (for example, I can currently pick from 147 sprites, I would like to be able to choose from more)

Sponsored Links