Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials
Reload this Page [Question] New Types Issues

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Old October 27th, 2012 (03:40 PM).
X-Class Project, Derxwna, #003
Team Unova

Nature: Lax
Another issue I've run into: My project adds 17 new types (Types like Fire, Water, Grass, etc) to run alongside the original pokemon types. The reason for this was to prevent breaking things in the internal structure of the scripts, as well as to have Pokemon exist in the project alongside the species which I added in.

For starters, here is the entire type.txt file, the new types fall after Shadow: http://pastebin.com/G3JJeJhN

The issue I've run into is, stuff with Super Effective moves are not hitting for Super Effective, and instead doing neutral damage. For example, I have a copy of Surf running the new type "WATER18", which would be effective against "FIRE18". Upon testing the New Surf against the FIRE18, it didn't hit for Super Effective damage. I also tested things with my new Wonder Guard user, the NATURE18 type. I pit the one with Wonder Guard against a user with FIRE18 moves, and Wonder Guard didn't allow it to hit.

This error is quite hindering my progress on my project, and I would like to know: Is there a way I can fix this? Please respond back as soon as possible.
For more information future news and updates to any projects, the following blogs are where I post information. You can usually hit me with a message there when it comes to bug reports or feedback, or general conversation about something.
Game Projects:
In Progress:; Demo 6 - Finished, currently closed testing.
Old October 27th, 2012 (04:32 PM).
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Team Hoenn

I don't see anything wrong with your types.txt, and there's nothing wrong with the scripts. Are you sure your new Surf move had the correct type? Try renaming it to Surf18 to make sure you've got the right move. Also make sure nothing can affect the user's moveset, such as an alternate form.
Old October 27th, 2012 (05:03 PM).
Team Unova

Quote:
656,SURF18,Surf,075,95,WATER18,Special,100,15,0,04,0,bef,Smart,""
Is the move I tried to use on a "BEAST18" type, which is weak to WATER18
The type:
Quote:
[24]
Name=Beast
InternalName=BEAST18
Resistances=GHOST18,EARTH18
Weaknesses=FLYING18,FIRE18,WATER18
The species:
Quote:
[601]
Name=CRin
InternalName=CRIN
Type1=BEAST18
My friend had this exact same problem as well, however he modified the existing types.
For more information future news and updates to any projects, the following blogs are where I post information. You can usually hit me with a message there when it comes to bug reports or feedback, or general conversation about something.
Game Projects:
Old October 27th, 2012 (06:06 PM).
Team Hoenn

Again, are you sure you're using your new Surf18 move, rather than the regular Surf (which would indeed do neutral damage to CRin as you described)?

After editing the PBS files, have you compiled them? You do this by running the game from within RPG Maker XP, or by using the Debug mode option in the Debug menu.
Old October 27th, 2012 (07:29 PM).
Team Unova

I decided to try a move other than Surf this time, just to be sure I got a move that was special to the kit and not a direct copy. I got the same results.
I recorded a video as proof of what was going on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb6EU1FrLzI
Additional info

ARin's Entry:
Quote:
[767]
Name=ARin
InternalName=ARIN
Type1=BEAST18
Type2=FIRE18
BaseStats=70,90,70,105,120,65
GenderRate=Female50Percent
GrowthRate=Medium
BaseEXP=155
EffortPoints=0,0,0,0,3,0
Rareness=45
Happiness=70
Compatibility=8,5
StepsToHatch=3840
Height=0.8
Weight=100.0
Color=Green
Kind=Kasha
Pokedex=Placeholder
Abilities=LIMBER,FLASHFIRE
Aqua Shower's definition:
Quote:
922,AQUASHOWER18,Aqua Shower,08B,150,WATER18,Special,100,5,0,04,0,be,Smart,""
Beast18 and Fire18's entries:
Quote:
[24]
Name=Beast
InternalName=BEAST18
Resistances=GHOST18,EARTH18
Weaknesses=FLYING18,FIRE18,WATER18

[28]
Name=Fire
InternalName=FIRE18
Resistances=STEEL18,FIRE18,NATURE18
Weaknesses=EARTH18,WATER18
Game Projects:
Old October 28th, 2012 (06:43 AM).
Team Hoenn

You're right; there is something wrong with Essentials. I spent quite a while researching it, and found out that it's due to a bug in the compiling scripts.

Basically, as it currently works, the game thinks that the lists of weaknesses/resistances/immunities in types.txt use the actual names of the types rather than the internal names. Your new 18-style moves have the effectivenesses of their counterpart regular moves, because they have the same actual name. New types like Beast are neutral to everything, because none of the other types list "Beast"; they list "BEAST18" instead.

It's a rather glaring error, and one I wouldn't have thought existed. It doesn't affect anything normally, but even so it needs to be fixed. Fortunately, that's simple.

In the script section Compiler, go to line 2195 and change the red numbers:
Code:
      atype=typehash[j]
      if type && atype
        typechart[k]=4 if type[5].include?(atype[2]) # weakness
        typechart[k]=1 if type[6].include?(atype[2]) # resistance
        typechart[k]=0 if type[7].include?(atype[2]) # immune
      end
      j+=1
Done.

Sponsored Links