• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Point Above the Clouds (Flying-Type Club)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Who's your favourite Flying-type Gym Leader: Falkner, Winona or Skyla?

The answer to this one is pretty clear :p For me it's definitely Falkner, mostly because he's the only Flying type gym leader I really recall battling, and in my early days, having trouble with. I've played the third generation games, but I had honestly forgotten all about Winona when I replayed the games a little while ago, and I didn't think there actually were any other Flying type trainers than Falkner and Skyla. Skyla I can't say much about though, since I've never played B/W, and her character in the anime didn't really help her in the case, so it's definitely not her. It all goes down to Falkner anyway, as the second generation games were my favourite, I've always loved Falkner due to BIIIIIRDS, and he's a pretty cool gym leader in general.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I would like to join if it's not too late?

Username: ShinyUmbreon189
Nickname: Mr. Rhymez
Favorite Pokemon: Noctowl
Favorite Move: Aerial Ace
Partner Pokemon and Name: Noctowl "Noctowl"
Would you like to be noticed when new features, games, and competitions are added to the club? Yes

Spearow/Fearow or Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot and why? Fearow, Fearow's attack is good and has decent speed and learns the move Drill Peck which is an awesome move. For some reason I just like it's design more over the other 4 Pokemon. I like Pidgeot too but Fearow gets the win this time.

I almost forgot..
Who is your favorite Flying Gym Leader? I like Falkner because HG/SS is my favorite Pokemon games because Crystal was my first ever Pokemon game.

Which games has the best flying types? IMO, Pokemon HG/SS. In this game you can get Hoothoot very early in the game which later evolves into a Noctowl and shares 2 types Flying and Psychic. It's also got Pidgey eary on in the game as well. Scyther (if you classify him as Flying) is also in the game fairl early, and don't forget about Skarmory which is also Steel type.

Sorry for not having bold letters for the sign up sheet, I'm using my PS3 browser.

Psystar63

☆ || [The Wandering Star] || ☆
Years
I want to join too! :D

I would like to join if it's not too late?

Username: Psystar63
Nickname: Star
Favorite Pokemon: Articuno
Favorite Move: Fly
Partner Pokemon and Name: Murkrow, nicknamed 'Amaris'
Would you like to be noticed when new features, games, and competitions are added to the club? Sure I would!

Who is your favorite Flying Gym Leader?
I guess it would be Falkner, not just because I think he looks cool. My first game was Gold, so he was the first ever Gym Leader I fought. And he has an awesome team when you challenge him for a battle in Saffron in HG/SS.

Which games has the best flying types? I can't really decide. The first gen had the 3 legendary birds Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres (who are awesome!). Second Gen had Murkrow and Skarmory and the epic Ho-oh and Lugia. Third gen was alright with Swellow, and the unique Altaria who looked like a bird but was a dragon type. Fourth gen has Staraptor and Honchkrow, who were awesome with power. And fifth gen has Braviary, who I just simply love.
But I guess if I were to pick a generation, I'd have to say 2nd gen. Ho-oh looks so amazing!

Avishka

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Welcome to the club,Mr. Rhymez and Star!!!

Who's your favourite Flying-type Gym Leader: Falkner, Winona or Skyla?
Winona all the way! She has the best design for a flying gym leader. Winona is also the most formidable, although Falkner wasn't soo bad. Winona gives out one of my favorite flying type move aerial ace. That Altaria is a monster and even her Skarmory can put up quite a fight and she uses a quite unique team that is very appropiate for that stage of the game. Her Skarmory was a demon, Altaria didn't lag behind and her remaining Pokémon were on par with the difficulty of what the others have to offer.

Psystar63

Years
Thanks Avishka!

I do like Winona's design too. I planned to cosplay as her one day. Yeah, her team was a strong one, especially with them knowing aerial ace. Skarmory was hard even with my Blaziken, and its hard to take on Altaria without any ice moves to back you up. But I think I took on her Altaria with my own Altaria and just barely made it.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
It looks like Snowdrop isn't keeping track of the club? I can't say Winona was easy because she's very hard to beat. She's hard to beat when she puts out her Altaria and you have nothing thats effective to it which causes lots of problems. She's for sure the hardest Flying Gym leader I've faced. I never beat Black or White so I can't say anything about Skyla.

Psystar63

Years
It looks like Snowdrop isn't keeping track of the club? I can't say Winona was easy because she's very hard to beat. She's hard to beat when she puts out her Altaria and you have nothing thats effective to it which causes lots of problems. She's for sure the hardest Flying Gym leader I've faced. I never beat Black or White so I can't say anything about Skyla.

Winona was tough because of her Skarmory and Altaria. I even had some trouble with her Swellow and Aerial Ace. Her team combines speed with defence, as well as unique type combinations which can throw you off at first. I had to seriously level grind to beat her.

Skyla was really easy for me, but that's cause I had a well-trained Zebstrika. It's speed and power meant that I could pretty much knock out all of her Pokemon in one or two hits, especially Swanna.

Olli

Years
Yeah, I don't know where Snowdrop has been lately, but either way, I've added you both to the list, so welcome! :D

I think with the activity we have here right now, it may be best to get a new topic up and running, so here goes:

Which of the starter bird lines is your favourite, and why? This includes Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot, Hoot-hoot/Noctowl, Taillow/Swellow, Starly/Staravia/Staraptor and Pidove/Tranquill/Unfezant.

Years
Guess I might join this:

Username: Hikari10
Nickname: Hikari
Favorite Pokemon: Staraptor
Favorite Move: Aerial Ace
Partner Pokemon and Pokemon's name: Togekiss "Hope"
Answer to the topic (you only have to answer one): My fave starter bird line is the Starly line cos it has good stats (especially Attack and Speed) and Staraptor learns Close Combat, allowing it to hit some types super-effectively that would normally put Flying-types at a disadvantage. It also often makes its way onto my 4th Gen teams due to this.

Psystar63

Years
Yeah, I don't know where Snowdrop has been lately, but either way, I've added you both to the list, so welcome! :D

I think with the activity we have here right now, it may be best to get a new topic up and running, so here goes:

Which of the starter bird lines is your favourite, and why? This includes Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot, Hoot-hoot/Noctowl, Taillow/Swellow, Starly/Staravia/Staraptor and Pidove/Tranquill/Unfezant.

Thanks for that! I was getting kinda worried that this club might end up dying.

Anyway, to answering the current topic. Definitely Starly/Staravia/Staraptor, followed by Taillow/Swellow. Staraptor has the strongest attack base stat out of the starter bird evolutions (and 120 base is pretty good for a starter bird). With Brave Bird and Close Combat, it's a real force to be reckoned with. It's movepool is awesome, and it's ability is Intimidate, which is very useful. Also, Starly can be found very early in the game (can pretty much be the first Pokemon you catch).
Swellow has impressive speed, but it's base attack is only 85. Still, that makes it slightly stronger than Pidgeot.

Formula380

Supersonic
Years
Username: Formula380
Nickname: Boolga
Favorite Pokemon: Crobat
Favorite Move: Wing Attack, when you finally get this move... It's just the biggest improvement of your life.
Partner Pokemon and Pokemon's name: Ulquiorra the Crobat
Answer to the topic (you only have to answer one): Winona is my favorite flying gym leader. Just look at her! Also, I dont see her losing to the other 2 leaders with her ever glorious Altaria
Would you like to be notified when new features, games, and competitions are added to the club? YES

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years

I haven't been coming to the forums nearly as much, sorry :P

DESPERATELY in need of a topic change, yes indeed! I'll make two more topics.

Topic 1: Did anyone else notice that the size of Birds like Pidgeot and Fearow vary dramatically between the games and anime? Like in Colosseum, I had both of those and they were like half my height but in the anime (from what I remember of it) These birds could swoop down and pick up Ash easily. Thoughts?

Topic 2: Your best and worst experiences with Birds in battle, both metagame and competitive?

All new members who applied will be added shortly!

Psystar63

Years
Ok, it's been kinda inactive around here lately.

Anyway, I think I'll be the first to answer one of Snowdrop's topics.

Your best and worst experiences with Birds in battle, both metagame and competitive?

Best experience: My Braviary in White 2. I've been wanting a Braviary ever since I first heard about Gen 5, so I was really happy when I finally got one in White 2. And I must say, it is one powerhouse of a bird. It helped me take out the E4 and the Champ with ease, and it's also helped me out in the Battle Subway and PWT tournaments. It's a true terror now that it knows Thrash :D

Worst experience: Getting continuously knocked out by Staraptor in the Battle Castle in Platnium/HeartGold.
I always do well in the Battle Castle, until I get up to challenging Darach and his Staraptor. For a starter bird, it's got good speed and attack. Plus I think it's also holding a King's Rock, so most of the time my Pokemon end up flinching because of it's attacks. It almost nearly knocks out my Pokemon with Return. Argh...
In the end I managed to finally knock it out by using Zapdos on my team :D

Olli

Years
Ownership of the club has been transferred to Psystar63​

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2014
Username: Seraphimon-sama
Nickname: Kuchiki-taicho
Favorite Move: Brave Bird
Partner Pokemon and Pokemon's name: Hakuteiken the Staraptor
Answer to the topic: I honestly prefer the Pidgey line to the Spearow line. My reasons are because Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot are more common than Spearow/Fearow and also because the Pidgey line learns much better moves.
Would you like to be notified when new features, games, and competitions are added to the club? No thanks.

Psystar63

Years
Welcome to the club Seraphimon-sama! I shall add you to the list in a bit.

As the new owner of The Point Above the Clouds, I need to think of some ideas of how to get this club full of activity lately. If anyone has any ideas of what sort of events they'd like to see happen here, perhaps a competition of sorts or a quiz, then please PM me.

Also, I think I should also start recruiting for a co-owner... I'll probably need some help with running a club :) If anyone would like to volunteer, just say so!

Much appreciated! :D

Avishka

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Ownership of the club has been transferred to Psystar63​
CONGRATULATION, Star!!!

Username: Seraphimon-sama
Nickname: Kuchiki-taicho
Favorite Move: Brave Bird
Partner Pokemon and Pokemon's name: Hakuteiken the Staraptor
Answer to the topic: I honestly prefer the Pidgey line to the Spearow line. My reasons are because Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot are more common than Spearow/Fearow and also because the Pidgey line learns much better moves.
Would you like to be notified when new features, games, and competitions are added to the club? No thanks.
welcome to the club, Seraphimon-sama!!!
i hope u have fun here!! :)

Welcome to the club Seraphimon-sama! I shall add you to the list in a bit.

As the new owner of The Point Above the Clouds, I need to think of some ideas of how to get this club full of activity lately. If anyone has any ideas of what sort of events they'd like to see happen here, perhaps a competition of sorts or a quiz, then please PM me.

Also, I think I should also start recruiting for a co-owner... I'll probably need some help with running a club :) If anyone would like to volunteer, just say so!

Much appreciated! :D
i would like to volunteer :) :) :)

some pics :
Spoiler:

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Sep 3, 2016
Username: Umbr30n.
Nickname: Umbr30n (My Username and Nickname is the same).
Favorite Pokemon: Ho-Oh!
Favorite Move: Aeroblast!
Partner Pokemon and Pokemon's name: Ho-Oh (Sky)
Answer to the topic (you only have to answer one): (Which Generation had the best Flying-Types?) Generation II because it introduced the literal MEGAS. Lugia and Ho-Oh, both very strong Flying-Types, both have great Move-Pools! Lugia, capable of learning it's exclusive move Aeroblast, makes it a very strong Pokemon any Pokemon can fear, Legendary or not! Ho-Oh, it sweeps and stalls all opponent Pokemon with an amazing Attack, using any all-out attack that would be hard to survive.

Psystar63

Years
CONGRATULATION, Star!!!

welcome to the club, Seraphimon-sama!!!
i hope u have fun here!! :)

i would like to volunteer :) :) :)

some pics :
Spoiler:

Ok Avishka, if you wanna be Co-owner, then sure! And those are some great pics. I'll add those to the Goodies section!

Username: Umbr30n.
Nickname: Umbr30n (My Username and Nickname is the same).
Favorite Pokemon: Ho-Oh!
Favorite Move: Aeroblast!
Partner Pokemon and Pokemon's name: Ho-Oh (Sky)
Answer to the topic (you only have to answer one): (Which Generation had the best Flying-Types?) Generation II because it introduced the literal MEGAS. Lugia and Ho-Oh, both very strong Flying-Types, both have great Move-Pools! Lugia, capable of learning it's exclusive move Aeroblast, makes it a very strong Pokemon any Pokemon can fear, Legendary or not! Ho-Oh, it sweeps and stalls all opponent Pokemon with an amazing Attack, using any all-out attack that would be hard to survive.

And a warm welcome to the club Umbr30n. I shall add you to the members list in a sec! Ho-Oh is a great choice for a partner BTW. And I agree that Gen 2 had some really amazing Flying-types. Plus it's the only generation where Flying-types were the main Legendaries.

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Sep 3, 2016
And a warm welcome to the club Umbr30n. I shall add you to the members list in a sec!

Thank you!

Which of the starter bird lines is your favourite, and why?

Starly line because it's just all around WIN, and when it learns Close Combat, OMG BIRD DOES KUNG FU! Crane must be aware of this (Kung Fu Panda reference)... So anyway, Close Combat is a great move, but just really puts you in a BIGGER disadvantage (Because it lowers the User's Defenses) when it doesn't faint Rock or Steel-Types because of their great Defenses. Also, Staraptor may be a little risky, but it also learns Brave Bird, Final Gambit, Giga Impact AND Steel Wing. In my opinion it also fits in Falkner's kind of style better than the Pidgey Line (Pun not intended). Plus it evolves into it's final evolution a bit early compared to the others, which makes it a win-win choice (Unless you're not in Stupid Sinnoh, but if you're not in Stupid Sinnoh you won't have a bird like Crane Kung Fu Bird). YOU ONLY GET IT EARLY IN STUPID SINNOH.

Just catching up with Topics. As for the newest one, I don't have any big experiences that actually determine worst or best about Flying-Types, that's why I'm not really answering the Topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back