• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

4th Gen 4th Gen Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I was told to post my question on breeding here I know almost everything about ev's and iv's and in soulsilver by giving a pokemon a power item e.g. a power bracelet there is a 50% chance that the iv stat of the parent will be passed to the egg and everyone knows the everstone trick for the nature but here is what I need help with:
I'm trying to get a garchomp with 31 IV's in attack and speed with a jolly nature
I've tried 2 method's the 1st is with a ditto with 31 atk ivs holding a power bracer and a garchomp with 31 Iv's holding a power anklet If my math is correct I have a 33% chance of getting both IV's onto an egg but the jolly nature can take between 12-25 eggs
method no.2 is a garchomp with 31 atk IV's holding a power bracer and a jolly natured garchomp with 31 IV's holding an everstone I've hatched around 50 eggs with each method and my best result is 31 Iv's in attack 22 Iv's in speed with the 2nd method for some reason the everstone garchomp just doesnt want to pass its Iv's am I doing something wrong or have I just been unlucky?
It's all about luck, just keep trying till you get it eventually :) Or if you want to be certain that you'll get it then you should learn how to RNG Abuse, but that's pretty complex and will take a while to pick up so make sure you actually want to learn it before trying, it's not easy. xD If you want more info then check here :)

Murt93

Battle Amateur
Years
It's all about luck, just keep trying till you get it eventually :) Or if you want to be certain that you'll get it then you should learn how to RNG Abuse, but that's pretty complex and will take a while to pick up so make sure you actually want to learn it before trying, it's not easy. xD If you want more info then check here :)

Sorry I know you posted a link and everything but while I was replying I said I'd ask even though my question will undoubtedly be answered in the link which I will read after I post this is RNG abuse in-game or do I need to use something outside of my DS to do if its quicker(been breeding chomp's for 2-3 days now closest I got is x/31/x/x/x/29) I will definitely try it out

as for my earlier problem, after about an hour of reading I deduced that if 2 parents hold 2 power items the baby has a chance of inheriting only 1 of the parents stats not both and its 100% not 50 so I'm guaranteed 31 in 1 stat after that I just have to hope that the 2nd parent passes on the 2nd 31 so my best chance is power item on one parent and everstone on the other 1 and hope the 2nd stat passes :L I think I have like a 19% chance of that happening but its better than nothing I guess about the 6th garchomp I raised to lvl 50 had 182 atk and 167 speed :/ I would have prefered 180atk instead of speed tie'ing with jolly 252 salamence and non timid floatzel at 169 speed garchomp's only real threat is garchomp,latios,weavile,starmie and scarf'd porygon-z
apologies I am notorius for going off topic but thanks for your help! again! I'll have a look into this RNG thing now :)

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
Hi guys, I have some questions regarding EV training on my Chansey.

I was told a few days ago by a mutual friend of mine that EV'ing Chansey's HP, Defense, and Spec. Attack was the best option.

So.. since then, I've been training on a variety of Geodude and Gastly. I haven't actually started EV'ing the HP values yet, but I plan on doing so later.

I want to know what the deal is regarding how many stats in Defense I get per level-up.

I've trained on at least 40 Geodudes and around 14-15 Gravelers. I've given my Chansey upwards of about 5 Irons, and yet every level-up, I only get +0 or +1... RARELY +2 stats in Defense. Am I missing something here?

I guess my question is... Do your stats in level-up increase the higher the EV of that specific stat is? Because It doesn't seem to have affected my stat to a noticeable amount.

The same applies with my Spec. Attack.. I've trained on about 30 Gastly and around 10-15 Budew and exactly 6 Roselia, and yet my Spec. Attack stat doesn't seem to go any higher than +1 or 2 per level-up. (No, I'm not done EV'ing Spec. Attack yet.)

Since I have finished EV'ing Defense, I have been training on random trainers since with my Blissey (he evolved after the defense EV training), and his Defense stats have gone down once again. I know EV's max at a certain point, so I didn't think I'd need to constantly train on geodudes forever. I just want to know why it's giving me no progress.

Additional Info

Blissey's Nature is Sassy. (Not Great, but also not as bad as others)

I can't remember her IV's, as it wasn't too important to me at the time. Same applies with Nature.

Any help or advice on this issue of mine would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
The reason why Chansey's Blissey's Defense and Special Attack never went up that much during EV training is because they're naturally low (Chansey has base 5 Defense and base 35 Special Attack).

Also, Blissey is better off investing its EVs in HP, Defense or Special Defense because its Special Attack isn't high enough to inflict significant amounts of damage.

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
The reason why Chansey's Blissey's Defense and Special Attack never went up that much during EV training is because they're naturally low (Chansey has base 5 Defense and base 35 Special Attack).

Also, Blissey is better off investing its EVs in HP, Defense or Special Defense because its Special Attack isn't high enough to inflict significant amounts of damage.

So then Blissey is a trashy pokemon?

If it's attack is rubbish, and it's Special Attack is apparently not high enough to inflict a significant amount of damage, then what are my options to keep Blissey as a pokemon?

If I'm better off investing in EV's for Defense, and it's just generally low, then should I just not worry about it? Or will it get better over time? You're sending mixed messages.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years

If it's attack is rubbish, and it's Special Attack is apparently not high enough to inflict a significant amount of damage, then what are my options to keep Blissey as a pokemon?

If I'm better off investing in EV's for Defense, and it's just generally low, then should I just not worry about it? Or will it get better over time? You're sending mixed messages.

No. Blissey isn't trash entirely. Not all Pokemon are meant for attacking purposes. Blissey has a wide support movepool, so you should take advantage of it rather than just forcing it into an offensive role with only 75 Special Attack:
-Aromatherapy/Heal Bell
-Softboiled
-Seismic Toss/Flamethrower
-Thunder Wave/Toxic
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
No. Blissey isn't trash entirely. Not all Pokemon are meant for attacking purposes. Blissey has a wide support movepool, so you should take advantage of it rather than just forcing it into an offensive role with only 75 Special Attack:
-Aromatherapy/Heal Bell
-Softboiled
-Seismic Toss/Flamethrower
-Thunder Wave/Toxic
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure

That's not a bad move pool, but I still wasn't trying to rely completely on Blissey being a support.

All I want to know is whether or not training my EV's will increase the stats of those specific EV's. I know Blissey's base Defense is low.. but I still want a solid answer.

As for it's special attack, it's not necessarily the worst. My Blissey is level 34 right now, and has about 96 in Spec. Attack.. which isn't good persay, but still not completely worthless. I suppose that's why you recommended Flamethrower. Seismic Toss on the other hand doesn't sound too good, unless it has fixed damage like Dragon Rage.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years

Blissey isn't a good Pokemon for in-game usage. However in competitive it's a bloody nightmare that can take a punch or 10.

If you're playing in-game I suggest you deposit her and switch for something better.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
That's not a bad move pool, but I still wasn't trying to rely completely on Blissey being a support.

All I want to know is whether or not training my EV's will increase the stats of those specific EV's. I know Blissey's base Defense is low.. but I still want a solid answer.

As for it's special attack, it's not necessarily the worst. My Blissey is level 34 right now, and has about 96 in Spec. Attack.. which isn't good persay, but still not completely worthless. I suppose that's why you recommended Flamethrower. Seismic Toss on the other hand doesn't sound too good, unless it has fixed damage like Dragon Rage.

Well, if you want a better explanation on how EVs work, read this.

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
Oh ok. I think I get it now.

So.. the amount of stats my pokemon gets from EV's determines how many EV's I have divided by 4, up until level 100? Why didn't you just say so, I was worried that my EV training was having no effect XD.

I do suppose I'll go with that moveset you gave me earlier, but that leaves me with one more question.

If I need to breed my Blissey (or a chansey?) with a pokemon like Roselia to get Aromatherapy, then my question is, when I'm breeding with the Roselia, does it have to KNOW Aromatherapy in it's move list? Sorry, I haven't actually been 'big' on the whole Pokemon Breeding thing, so I wouldn't know where to look for an answer to that.

Thanks again for the help.

Years
If I need to breed my Blissey (or a chansey?) with a pokemon like Roselia to get Aromatherapy, then my question is, when I'm breeding with the Roselia, does it have to KNOW Aromatherapy in it's move list? Sorry, I haven't actually been 'big' on the whole Pokemon Breeding thing, so I wouldn't know where to look for an answer to that.

Thanks again for the help.

(inb4 PlatinumDude)

Yes, you need to breed with a male Roselia or Roserade that knows Aromatherapy.

If done correctly, you end up with a Chansey knowing the move.

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2014
Beldum Chaining?

On Dimond I'm trying to chain a shiny Beldum, since, theres a swarn in my game right now, but I can't see anything on Route 228! The sandstorm is really hard to see through, and this is my first time chaining, so I don't know WHAT I'm supposed to see. Can anyone help before the swarm goes away? Thanks!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
On Dimond I'm trying to chain a shiny Beldum, since, theres a swarn in my game right now, but I can't see anything on Route 228! The sandstorm is really hard to see through, and this is my first time chaining, so I don't know WHAT I'm supposed to see. Can anyone help before the swarm goes away? Thanks!

What do you mean by the fact that you cannot see? If it's the rustling grass you're unable to see clearly, then unfortunately there's nothing that one can do to fix that issue. However, if you are talking about the fact that you're not seeing or encountering any wild (normal or shiny) Beldum then the swarm has most likely subsided. You can check with Dawn to see if this is so. :)

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited:

#isthenumbersign
Years
You might want to try chaining in a different route to get the hang of things, because yes, the sand is hard to see through.

And the swarm will last until midnight I believe, so if you're willing to continuously time travel back to the beginning of the day, I'm pretty sure the swarm will remain.

Also try to have a pokemon with Magnet Pull, that'll always help.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years

As well as using a Pokémon with Magnet Pull, be sure to take a ghost type Pokémon so that you don't have Beldum kill itself with Take Down recoil.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
It's hard to chain in a sandstorm, but never give up!

When you use the pokeradar, you will see a few patches of grass shaking with different patterns, for example: normal shaking, shaking with white lines, shaking with yellow lines etc. What you are really looking for is shaking with sparkles.

Since it's your first time chaining, I don't know if you already know how to chain, but I'll explain anyway. The first step is to use LOTS of max or super repels. While chaining, ALWAYS step into grass that are shaking in the same pattern as the last patch you stepped in. And always defeat or catch the pokemon, never run away. Try to step into grass that is at least 4 patches away. And try to keep away from patches at the edge or at corners, or the chain might break.

All the best in chaining for that shiny Beldum! It is very hard to miss the sparkles, but in your case with the sandstorm, it's harder for you. :/ Just try your best!

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Lock Capsule

Yes, I know this is not officially released. I'm seeking informational data from those who know about it as I'm trying to learn more about it.

I am fully aware that TM95, Snarl, is found contained in the Lock Capsule. I know that the Lock Capsule has to come from HG/SS. I further know that the Lock Capsule is an unreleased key event item, and have read that it's picked up as a Mystery Gift at the Pokémon Center.

What I don't know is whether it's only available after you defeat the Elite Four. I have an Action Replay code that I decided to try out that supposedly unlocks it, but I am finding that it doesn't seem to do the job. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I dunno. However, I made my two main missions in Black as follows:

1) Get all Pokémon
2) Get all TMs

I can't do #2 without getting the Lock Capsule working. Anyone know anything about it?

Cyclone

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2014
Thanks! If you could help me one more time, I'm not sure where I should be chaining. At first I was doing it at the the grass near the water labled 2, but now i'm not sure.
images

Uggggh... this doesn't make any sense :( I have a Magneton with Magnet Pull yet I'm getting more Rhyhorn and Vibrava. All of the grass moves in exactly the same way, too- not that I could tell. The effect doesn't last long enough for me to find the shaking grass either. Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong?
:(:(:(

Last edited:

#isthenumbersign
Years
Thanks! If you could help me one more time, I'm not sure where I should be chaining. At first I was doing it at the the grass near the water labled 2, but now i'm not sure.
images

Uggggh... this doesn't make any sense :( I have a Magneton with Magnet Pull yet I'm getting more Rhyhorn and Vibrava. All of the grass moves in exactly the same way, too- not that I could tell. The effect doesn't last long enough for me to find the shaking grass either. Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong?
:(:(:(
Just chain in the largest patch which looks like the one farthest north if I'm not mistaken. And make sure your Magnet Puller is in the lead position. If it can't take out Beldum with ease, then faint your Magneton, but still have it in the first position.

As for the grass you'll have to have a sharp eye. I usually go in the grass that doesn't sparkle white at first, and then continue to go in those patches until I see a shiny patch. You probably want the poketch app telling you your chain. The rule of thumb is to stop at 40, which may be hard to achieve, which is why it takes patience. When going into a patch, like synerjee said, I step in the one farthest from me thats not on an edge or corner. And never be afraid to reset the radar. If you see a lot of patches really close to you or anything run around a little so you can reset the radar.

The shiny patch will not be the white shining patches, but the red/pink glowing ones.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
The item doesn't unlock in HG/SS. There is no way to open it. In HG/SS it was a filler item that never got finished, like many things from the past.

For B/W All you have to do is take it to Mr. Locke and he unlocks it. There aren't any specific requirements to unlock it other than it has to be Transfered over from HG/SS through the Download thing...I forgot the name but its how you transfer Celebi and the Shiny Beasts to unlock the Zorua/Zoroark events. If you don't do the transfer that way then the events don't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back