The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:51 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiemanFiddy View Post
So then Blissey is a trashy pokemon?

If it's attack is rubbish, and it's Special Attack is apparently not high enough to inflict a significant amount of damage, then what are my options to keep Blissey as a pokemon?

If I'm better off investing in EV's for Defense, and it's just generally low, then should I just not worry about it? Or will it get better over time? You're sending mixed messages.
No. Blissey isn't trash entirely. Not all Pokemon are meant for attacking purposes. Blissey has a wide support movepool, so you should take advantage of it rather than just forcing it into an offensive role with only 75 Special Attack:
-Aromatherapy/Heal Bell
-Softboiled
-Seismic Toss/Flamethrower
-Thunder Wave/Toxic
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure

Old October 29th, 2012, 11:57 AM
PiemanFiddy
Spreader of the T-Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
No. Blissey isn't trash entirely. Not all Pokemon are meant for attacking purposes. Blissey has a wide support movepool, so you should take advantage of it rather than just forcing it into an offensive role with only 75 Special Attack:
-Aromatherapy/Heal Bell
-Softboiled
-Seismic Toss/Flamethrower
-Thunder Wave/Toxic
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure

That's not a bad move pool, but I still wasn't trying to rely completely on Blissey being a support.

All I want to know is whether or not training my EV's will increase the stats of those specific EV's. I know Blissey's base Defense is low.. but I still want a solid answer.

As for it's special attack, it's not necessarily the worst. My Blissey is level 34 right now, and has about 96 in Spec. Attack.. which isn't good persay, but still not completely worthless. I suppose that's why you recommended Flamethrower. Seismic Toss on the other hand doesn't sound too good, unless it has fixed damage like Dragon Rage.
Old October 29th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Perrie ✿
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
So then Blissey is a trashy pokemon?

If it's attack is rubbish, and it's Special Attack is apparently not high enough to inflict a significant amount of damage, then what are my options to keep Blissey as a pokemon?

If I'm better off investing in EV's for Defense, and it's just generally low, then should I just not worry about it? Or will it get better over time? You're sending mixed messages.
Blissey isn't a good Pokemon for in-game usage. However in competitive it's a bloody nightmare that can take a punch or 10.

If you're playing in-game I suggest you deposit her and switch for something better.
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:23 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
That's not a bad move pool, but I still wasn't trying to rely completely on Blissey being a support.

All I want to know is whether or not training my EV's will increase the stats of those specific EV's. I know Blissey's base Defense is low.. but I still want a solid answer.

As for it's special attack, it's not necessarily the worst. My Blissey is level 34 right now, and has about 96 in Spec. Attack.. which isn't good persay, but still not completely worthless. I suppose that's why you recommended Flamethrower. Seismic Toss on the other hand doesn't sound too good, unless it has fixed damage like Dragon Rage.
Well, if you want a better explanation on how EVs work, read this.

Old October 29th, 2012, 04:31 PM
PiemanFiddy
Spreader of the T-Virus

Oh ok. I think I get it now.

So.. the amount of stats my pokemon gets from EV's determines how many EV's I have divided by 4, up until level 100? Why didn't you just say so, I was worried that my EV training was having no effect XD.

I do suppose I'll go with that moveset you gave me earlier, but that leaves me with one more question.

If I need to breed my Blissey (or a chansey?) with a pokemon like Roselia to get Aromatherapy, then my question is, when I'm breeding with the Roselia, does it have to KNOW Aromatherapy in it's move list? Sorry, I haven't actually been 'big' on the whole Pokemon Breeding thing, so I wouldn't know where to look for an answer to that.

Thanks again for the help.
Old October 29th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
If I need to breed my Blissey (or a chansey?) with a pokemon like Roselia to get Aromatherapy, then my question is, when I'm breeding with the Roselia, does it have to KNOW Aromatherapy in it's move list? Sorry, I haven't actually been 'big' on the whole Pokemon Breeding thing, so I wouldn't know where to look for an answer to that.

Thanks again for the help.
(inb4 PlatinumDude)

Yes, you need to breed with a male Roselia or Roserade that knows Aromatherapy.

If done correctly, you end up with a Chansey knowing the move.

Paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
Battle Server | Tumblr | TWL | Profile | Supporter

Old October 30th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Mudinjakarp
Unhatched Egg

On Dimond I'm trying to chain a shiny Beldum, since, theres a swarn in my game right now, but I can't see anything on Route 228! The sandstorm is really hard to see through, and this is my first time chaining, so I don't know WHAT I'm supposed to see. Can anyone help before the swarm goes away? Thanks!
Badges- Zephyr, Hive, Plain, Fog, Mineral, Storm
Strikes- X
Current Game: Pokemon Colosseum (Nuzlocke Challenge)
Old October 30th, 2012, 12:38 PM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudinjakarp View Post
On Dimond I'm trying to chain a shiny Beldum, since, theres a swarn in my game right now, but I can't see anything on Route 228! The sandstorm is really hard to see through, and this is my first time chaining, so I don't know WHAT I'm supposed to see. Can anyone help before the swarm goes away? Thanks!
What do you mean by the fact that you cannot see? If it's the rustling grass you're unable to see clearly, then unfortunately there's nothing that one can do to fix that issue. However, if you are talking about the fact that you're not seeing or encountering any wild (normal or shiny) Beldum then the swarm has most likely subsided. You can check with Dawn to see if this is so. :)

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by curiousnathan; October 30th, 2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old October 30th, 2012, 12:48 PM
#isthenumbersign

Quote:
You might want to try chaining in a different route to get the hang of things, because yes, the sand is hard to see through.

And the swarm will last until midnight I believe, so if you're willing to continuously time travel back to the beginning of the day, I'm pretty sure the swarm will remain.

Also try to have a pokemon with Magnet Pull, that'll always help.
Old October 30th, 2012, 12:59 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote:
As well as using a Pokémon with Magnet Pull, be sure to take a ghost type Pokémon so that you don't have Beldum kill itself with Take Down recoil.
Old October 30th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Autumn Reverie
wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.

Nature: Modest
It's hard to chain in a sandstorm, but never give up!

When you use the pokeradar, you will see a few patches of grass shaking with different patterns, for example: normal shaking, shaking with white lines, shaking with yellow lines etc. What you are really looking for is shaking with sparkles.

Since it's your first time chaining, I don't know if you already know how to chain, but I'll explain anyway. The first step is to use LOTS of max or super repels. While chaining, ALWAYS step into grass that are shaking in the same pattern as the last patch you stepped in. And always defeat or catch the pokemon, never run away. Try to step into grass that is at least 4 patches away. And try to keep away from patches at the edge or at corners, or the chain might break.

All the best in chaining for that shiny Beldum! It is very hard to miss the sparkles, but in your case with the sandstorm, it's harder for you. :/ Just try your best!

pairs | twitter | showdown | pc family
Old October 30th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Yes, I know this is not officially released. I'm seeking informational data from those who know about it as I'm trying to learn more about it.

I am fully aware that TM95, Snarl, is found contained in the Lock Capsule. I know that the Lock Capsule has to come from HG/SS. I further know that the Lock Capsule is an unreleased key event item, and have read that it's picked up as a Mystery Gift at the Pokémon Center.

What I don't know is whether it's only available after you defeat the Elite Four. I have an Action Replay code that I decided to try out that supposedly unlocks it, but I am finding that it doesn't seem to do the job. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I dunno. However, I made my two main missions in Black as follows:

1) Get all Pokémon
2) Get all TMs

I can't do #2 without getting the Lock Capsule working. Anyone know anything about it?

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old October 30th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Mudinjakarp
Unhatched Egg

Thanks! If you could help me one more time, I'm not sure where I should be chaining. At first I was doing it at the the grass near the water labled 2, but now i'm not sure.

Uggggh... this doesn't make any sense I have a Magneton with Magnet Pull yet I'm getting more Rhyhorn and Vibrava. All of the grass moves in exactly the same way, too- not that I could tell. The effect doesn't last long enough for me to find the shaking grass either. Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong?
Badges- Zephyr, Hive, Plain, Fog, Mineral, Storm
Strikes- X
Current Game: Pokemon Colosseum (Nuzlocke Challenge)

Last edited by Mudinjakarp; October 30th, 2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old October 30th, 2012, 07:48 PM
#isthenumbersign

Quote:
Thanks! If you could help me one more time, I'm not sure where I should be chaining. At first I was doing it at the the grass near the water labled 2, but now i'm not sure.

Uggggh... this doesn't make any sense :( I have a Magneton with Magnet Pull yet I'm getting more Rhyhorn and Vibrava. All of the grass moves in exactly the same way, too- not that I could tell. The effect doesn't last long enough for me to find the shaking grass either. Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong?
:(:(:(
Just chain in the largest patch which looks like the one farthest north if I'm not mistaken. And make sure your Magnet Puller is in the lead position. If it can't take out Beldum with ease, then faint your Magneton, but still have it in the first position.

As for the grass you'll have to have a sharp eye. I usually go in the grass that doesn't sparkle white at first, and then continue to go in those patches until I see a shiny patch. You probably want the poketch app telling you your chain. The rule of thumb is to stop at 40, which may be hard to achieve, which is why it takes patience. When going into a patch, like synerjee said, I step in the one farthest from me thats not on an edge or corner. And never be afraid to reset the radar. If you see a lot of patches really close to you or anything run around a little so you can reset the radar.

The shiny patch will not be the white shining patches, but the red/pink glowing ones.
Old October 30th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
The item doesn't unlock in HG/SS. There is no way to open it. In HG/SS it was a filler item that never got finished, like many things from the past.

For B/W All you have to do is take it to Mr. Locke and he unlocks it. There aren't any specific requirements to unlock it other than it has to be Transfered over from HG/SS through the Download thing...I forgot the name but its how you transfer Celebi and the Shiny Beasts to unlock the Zorua/Zoroark events. If you don't do the transfer that way then the events don't work.
Old October 30th, 2012, 09:37 PM
curiousnathan

This is more of a quick question so I'll move it into to the 4th Gen Help thread. Please use that next time if you have any other questions.

Merged
Old October 31st, 2012, 11:02 AM
goobahead1
Unhatched Egg

these are the pokemon i have

lv1 totodile
lv1 skarmory
lv1 aipom
lv1 eevee
lv9 girafarig
lv18 horsea
lv15 stantler
lv13 miltank
lv17 wobbuffet
lv19 heracross
lv20 dunsparce
lv20 poliwag
lv22 togepi
lv25 ledian
lv26 teddiursa
lv22 chansey
lv25 murkrow
lv20 furret
lv26 sunkern
lv23 swinub
lv24 pineco
lv28 delibird
lv21 phanpy
lv24 houndoom
lv21 skiploom
lv24 golbat
lv27 xatu
lv20 magby
lv26 sneasel
lv33 red gyarados
lv31 ditto
lv39 umbreon
lv37 noctowl
lv47 pupitar
lv50 magcargo
lv50 feraligatr
lv50 ampharos
lv50 scizzor
lv51 lugia
lv62 steelix
lv100 houndoom

please tell me a good way to raise them
Old October 31st, 2012, 11:36 AM
Jak
eye of the needle

Nature: Timid
...First, I'd shorten the list...you can ask for more specific help in the in-game team help forum in Battle Center, but you'd need a team of 6 for that, not necessarily this huge list. No one wants to list all the different ways to train about 30 Pokemon.
Old November 1st, 2012, 06:34 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
The item doesn't unlock in HG/SS. There is no way to open it. In HG/SS it was a filler item that never got finished, like many things from the past.

For B/W All you have to do is take it to Mr. Locke and he unlocks it. There aren't any specific requirements to unlock it other than it has to be Transfered over from HG/SS through the Download thing...I forgot the name but its how you transfer Celebi and the Shiny Beasts to unlock the Zorua/Zoroark events. If you don't do the transfer that way then the events don't work.
I'm familiar with the Relocater in B/W, that's what transfers the Lock Capsule. However, to transfer it, you have to have it. What I'm trying to figure out is how to get it since Nintendo/GF never released it (and at this point I suggest never intend to).

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old November 10th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Correspondence

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
I'm familiar with the Relocater in B/W, that's what transfers the Lock Capsule. However, to transfer it, you have to have it. What I'm trying to figure out is how to get it since Nintendo/GF never released it (and at this point I suggest never intend to).

Cyclone
You could probably get an Action Replay code for it because i don't think GF is handing them out anymore.
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Kernel_Panic
Unhatched Egg

Hello I am going to buy my first NDS however I am not sure what Pokemon game to get for it. I am leaning towards Platinum so I can get Pokemon I could not get in HG/SS (or B/W). I am going to talk my wife into getting one too so we can trade between the two. So for the sake of getting old Pokemon is Platinum a good choice (and is it fun?)?
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:49 PM
LilJz
Make me your Aphrodite
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I'm not sure about Platinum, but with HGSS, you can get every Pokemon from Kanto, Johto and Hoenn. So that's alot of Pokemon you can have
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Kernel_Panic
Unhatched Egg

I know that you can get quite a lot but I want particular ones. Like Skitty - she is available only by trade in HG/SS/B/W (in B/W I can actually go into Dream World but I like the 4th gen. better). I would import Skitty (and a few others I cannot get) to the newer games but my Emerald game died long ago sadly.
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:05 PM
LilJz
Make me your Aphrodite
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
You can get Skitty by the Pokewalker tho, but you gotta walk a ton before unlocking the route where she's found
Old November 13th, 2012, 08:55 PM
curiousnathan

It's all up to you really. Both are great games, having played them countless time myself. Platinum is a great game if you want to experience gameplay in the Sinnoh region, and HGSS if you want to get a fantastic experience in Johto and Kanto. Really, I'd opt for HGSS, because not only are you able to obtain an enormous range of Pokemon from several regions, but I've found that HGSS have a much larger post game (abother region obviously).

If your wife is considering purchasing a game as well I'd defnitely suggest that one of you purchase a game in the HGSS series and the other a game in the DPPt (Platinum is the better choice).

Anyway, this type of thread doesn't warrant itself, and belongs in the Fourth Gen Help Thread, so imma move it along!

Have fun and enjoy your game!

Moved

Last edited by curiousnathan; December 19th, 2012 at 05:12 PM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links