The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 3rd, 2012 (07:46 AM). Edited November 3rd, 2012 by Nugg.
Nugg
Le Diable Blanc

Nature: Relaxed
Imo, the 5th gen starters aren't all that great.
I've played through White like 3/4 times and I've used each starter. I just got White 2 and I kinda feel like ditching my Oshawott. I don't want to use a Fire/Fighting starter for the umpteenth time and I do like Snivy but I find Serperior ugly lol. I only pretty much like Samurott but it's getting boring I guess especially since you have the previous gen pokemon to replace them. Heck, I might just trade one of the previous gen starters over :p

Like instead of Samurott, I could be using Vaporeon, Lapras or Starmie.
Is anyone here gonna ditch their starter now that you can get previous gen Pokemon pre-E4? I feel like doing it but I feel pretty bad since.. well.. it's your starter.
Old November 3rd, 2012 (07:52 AM).
Syltti
Lilligant's Loving Trainer

Nature: Calm
I used Shizu, my Serperior, all the way though the Pokemon League. She's sitting in storage at Lv. 63 or 64 now, though. I'll get around to leveling her at some point.

FC - 4012-4737-6781
Y Battle Record: [0 Win(s) - 1 Loss(es) - 0 Tie(s)] - Latest Battle Video: N/A
"Ryana.. She's a Necromancer. Hers, however, uses a very peculiar system and grants her amazing abilities that no other necromancer has managed to replicate. Necromancers can control zombies, skeletons, and ghasts; Ryana specializes in zombies, but has a secondary handle on skeletons. People see Necromancers as horrible abominations. Ryana is nothing of the sort. It would take less than a day for anyone to realize that."

Fuyou Ayame - Elven Alchemist. Loving Mother. Royal Guardian.
Old November 3rd, 2012 (08:52 AM).
toasterr
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Impish
I ditched mine as soon as I caught something else. I think it was harder (especially since you're really skimped for choice outside of Riolu until you get to Virbank) but more rewarding. The main problem is the lack of good water-types available pre-E4. I don't think you can find the Water Stone until really late in the game, which basically leaves you with Azumarill and Jellicent (and the Water starter) as your only usable options.

I know what you mean, though. All the starters in this gen really start to fall behind near the end of the game. My Samurott in White was really only an HM Slave with Megahorn at the end.

If I were to restart my game, I'd do it again. It's a lot harder in the beginning of the game, though.
Old November 3rd, 2012 (08:58 AM).
Zero Percent
Loading... Please wait

Not until I beat the League, normally then I just use it as a pokemon to breed with.
Old November 3rd, 2012 (09:08 AM).
Icy Burn
Beginner Breeder | Kyurem W <3

Nature: Jolly
I didn't this time around, but next time I might ditch it for a Genesect.
Old November 3rd, 2012 (09:21 AM).
Charicific
PkMn Trainer

Nature: Modest
I do when I finish and defeat the Pokemon League. When I do so, I ditch most Pokemons I had with me in the beggining of my journey, and go get myself Pokemons from the previous generations. I'm currently with an Infernape rather than a Serperior. I replaced all my set now, with a team includng a Garchomp, Haxorus, and Gengar for example.
It's mainly due to the fact that EVs are messed up with the Pokemons in your journey, so I simply ditch and start all over again...with a Pokemon of my pick.
Old November 3rd, 2012 (09:24 AM).
Wateria
The cute team Aqua member

Nature: Naughty
Not This time I used Lee all through the main story mode and she's still sitting in my party.
Old November 3rd, 2012 (09:27 AM).
rizoph
Mime Jr.

Nature: Mild
I'm not ditching it. I'm going to breed it into eggs so I can trade them for other pokemon though GST.

Join tsukinohito.com/temp_forum
Old November 3rd, 2012 (09:28 AM).
Haunted Cupcake
Soul Resonance Technician

Nature: Adamant
i ditched the starter as well they always go in my pc box gen 3-4 starters are the best.
Old November 3rd, 2012 (10:24 AM).
MrTripStack
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Quiet
I chose Tepig this time around and I actually used him through the entire main game and a tiny bit of the extra content. Emboar was a decent Pokémon but I felt like he didn't learn enough fighting attacks on his own and I needed a flying-type, so he was eventually replaced by a Charizard.
Old November 3rd, 2012 (10:50 AM).
masaru3
Chespin, I choose you!

Nature: Timid
I used my Samurott and he helped me beat the league, but seriously, he didn't do much. I focused more on my other 'mons. I was thinking about getting an Eevee and evolving it to vaporeon, but I didn't feel like searching for one in the grass that late in the game so... Might as well use Samurott. I never used him again.

I felt like ditching him early in the game but I kinda felt bad about it. Oshawott is so cute, and Dewott is so cool.
Black 2:
5244 5521 1042
◄ Masaru's Dream World Shop ►
Old November 3rd, 2012 (12:26 PM).
`Brianna
Mahamagiha, my friends!

Send a message via Skype™ to `Brianna
I'm not too big of a fan of the generation V starters, so I'm planning on ditching mine right after I find another pokemon to replace it.
Old November 3rd, 2012 (01:18 PM).
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Nature: Lonely
I have ditched starters before. But in Black2 my Emboar is a Champ! Lv.73. My other pokemon are just now starting to catch-up to his level.
Old November 3rd, 2012 (01:30 PM).
ARTPOP
Unhatched Egg

Send a message via Skype™ to ARTPOP
I ditched my Emboar around level 40, then around near the end of the game I decided I'd give it another chance. Had it hold exp share until level 55 and tried to use it again.
Now it's in my box, never to be used again.
Old November 3rd, 2012 (01:35 PM).
Arcturus.
Chews nails and spits napalm

I would never ditch my starter, mostly because I love all the Grass type starters. Venix, my Serperior in White 2, is pretty strong and he's self-healing with Leech Seed and Giga Drain. The only starter I would switch out for is Bulbasaur, my favorite Pokemon ever.
CSS|VM/PM|THEME
Old November 3rd, 2012 (04:49 PM).
Cassino

My starter was replaced with Porygon this time around. I felt a bit bad about having a Psychic attack so early alongside a recovery move... but I knew Porygon would be weak by the end of the game. It actually pulled its weight against the E4 surprisingly well despite not evolving throughout the story. Ultimately, the most enjoyable starter replacement I've used.
Old November 3rd, 2012 (04:57 PM).
Roughsponge
Phenominal.

Nature: Quirky
My current playthrough of Black 2 is the first time, outside of doing challenges, that I've ditched my starter. I just found using Servine was annoying, never used him in B/W so thought I'd try him here... big mistake! Although on the bright side, it made room in my team for a Glaceon :D
Old November 3rd, 2012 (05:03 PM).
ArcanaFlaera
Guard of the Generation

I usually never ditch my starter, unless I'm doing challenges. There was one time I did ditch my starter, in my second run through of Diamond. I never did like the starters in that game. I migrated a Charmander ( bred one )from my FireRed to my Platinum, then traded it to my Diamond only at Sandgem Town. It served me better in the long run that I think Infernape ever would have.
White 2 FC : 4299 0937 8549
Old November 3rd, 2012 (05:18 PM).
Hikamaru
this is all yours
Community Supporter

When I start my playthrough, I will not be ditching my Oshawott cos he is my literal mascot.

In fact, I don't even ditch my starters in any game, and in B2/W2 it will be no exception.

battle server | tumblr | profile | supporter
pairs | the welcome lounge | fairy-type club

Old November 3rd, 2012 (05:26 PM).
Snork
My cabbages!

I was suprised with the gen 5 starters, I actually like them a lot. Although, I was never big on the Sinnoh starters.
Snivy and Oshawatt and 2 of my favourite starter evolutionary lines, not a fan on Tepig (another fire/fighting starter -.-) So yeah, I've never ditched my gen 5 starters, I did dicht my gen 4 though cause they sucked

White 2 Friendcode: 5286 9673 3891
3DS Friendcode: 4425 1492 8580
Fire Safari [growlithe, ninetales and charmeleon]
PM/VM me, I'd love to add you

Shiny Ampharos! 12/11/13
First MM bred pokemon
-Learn how to catch Mew IRL!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X31vJUblXBo
Old November 3rd, 2012 (05:36 PM).
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Usually in most generations I ditch my starter at the first opportunity I get since I just don't tend to find them interesting to use, but for some reason in this play through I stuck with using Snivy and I'm actually loving it. It's really cool to look at in battle, it's surprisingly strong, and it complements my current team well. I can't fight Poison or Steel types very well at the moment due to my main two being a Koffing and a Servine, but I think they work really well together against most other types so I think I'll keep those two as partners. So yeah, keeping my starter on my team for once. :D
Old November 3rd, 2012 (05:45 PM).
Aura Vitae
Down, Sword Hand!

Usually I never ditch my starter because I never felt the urge to but in my playthrough of White 2 I ditched my Servine before Castelia City's Gym in favor of a Leavanny.

Pokemon X FC 3368-1319-2305
Old November 3rd, 2012 (07:00 PM).
Lilith
Protect his very soul.

Yup, I ditched my starter in White and again in White 2. I felt really bad the first time I ditched my starter, Pignite. Second time, I didn't miss using Servine.

In every previous generation, no matter how many times I restarted RBY, GSC, and so on, I used the starter. The starter Pokemon really was one of the best available Pokemon. Now with wi-fi trading and 600+ Pokemon and unimpressive Unova starters, I can forgo the starters and build a more interesting in-game team. Funny enough, I am using Infernape on my White 2 team. I had asked members to give me Pokemon to use along the way.

Old November 3rd, 2012 (08:19 PM).
CourageHound
Trust & Courage. Nothing More

Nature: Lonely
UUhhh nope. I stuck with my starter, Emboar both regions. That's how much i love em. And even if I wanted to substitute Emboar, which i don't, the other unova fire types besides darmanitan don't really appeal to me.
Old November 3rd, 2012 (08:42 PM). Edited November 3rd, 2012 by LassLaura.
LassLaura
No, I don't want a breakfast burrito

I was very tempted to ditch my Emboar in White (especially since Darmanitan exists) but I stuck with it. It's a really mediocre pokemon compared to its other fire/fighting starter brethren though (Blaziken forever).

The only starter I really care for this gen is Oshawott. Snivy is alright but it's not as powerful or versatile as I'd like. As evidenced by Hugh's Servine using Leaf Tornado on the Zubats in Castelia's sewers...

But no, aside from being sorely tempted, I've never ditched a starter, even in gen 2 which I think has the worst starters of all.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links