The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 2nd, 2012, 10:29 AM
Lance
Master of Dragons

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Lance
It's that time of year again lol. Couldn't help myself with it being so close.

In the world of much over-hyped doomsday theories, one of the most interesting is the ending of the Mayan Long Count calendar and the subsequent end of the world by an entire myriad of deadly scenarios, set to happen next month, December 21st, 2012. Do you think at some point the world as we know it will end? Will it be from a natural disaster, like a Volcanic eruption, asteroid strike, or global pandemic? Or will we ourselves bring about our own demise? And what of the proposed Mayan apocalypse set to occur in a week's time?

Discuss!

Last edited by Lance; December 14th, 2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: typos
Old November 2nd, 2012, 10:49 AM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Christians who try to predict the end of the world are false prophets. Jesus himself said that nobody can know the day or hour.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 05:17 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I honestly don't think it's gonna happen for 2 reasons:

1. They never accounted for leap years, so the world should have ended months ago.
2. http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=280250

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old November 2nd, 2012, 05:23 PM
Zet
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
The world will end because you silly Americans can't do day-month-year or year-month-day. :<

Inevitably if Jesus walks out of a burning sky on that day, I really hope to see some of you guys on the other side... to be more descriptive: a place with fluffy clouds, milkshake waterfall, etc etc. Though I really hope that doesn't happen and our demise is brought to us by powerful alien overlords who need a new planet to live on.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 05:26 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Not that I think this is true but this is bugging me.

a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
They never accounted for leap years, so the world should have ended months ago.
The mayan calendar's cycles account for days, and the conspirators took that to mind, so it really does "end" on 12-21-12.

Old November 2nd, 2012, 05:36 PM
Ice Car
Booted out - don't be like me!

There have been dozens of different doomsday theories. I am incredibly skeptical of this theory as with all other theories.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 05:42 PM
Pokestick, good times.
An awesome usertitle
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
A calendar ending doesn't mean it's the end of the world. In fact, there is no evidence to suggest the Mayans believed anything in peculiar was to happen at that point in time.

It's a completely make-believe theory by modern day people. Next.

Old November 2nd, 2012, 05:46 PM
Ice Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokestick, good times. View Post
A calendar ending doesn't mean it's the end of the world. In fact, there is no evidence to suggest the Mayans believed anything in peculiar was to happen at that point in time.

It's a completely make-believe theory by modern day people. Next.
My thoughts exactly at present.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 05:55 PM
Blade_of_darkness
War Machine
Community Supporter

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Skype™ to Blade_of_darkness
This stuff again?! You guys just can't leave well enough alone, can you?

Didn't we have a discussion earlier this year about something that disproved the mayan apocalypse? There is no way that anyone can predict when & how the apocalypse will be brought about to this world. Anyone who says otherwise is either an escaped mental ward patient, or the worst liar that ever stepped foot on this planet.

^ The last thing you see before you die ^
Old November 2nd, 2012, 05:57 PM
Ice Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade_of_darkness View Post
This stuff again?! You guys just can't leave well enough alone, can you?

Didn't we have a discussion earlier this year about something that disproved the mayan apocalypse? There is no way that anyone can predict when & how the apocalypse will be brought about to this world. Anyone who says otherwise is either an escaped mental ward patient, or the worst liar that ever stepped foot on this planet.
While I agree, you're probably going to take a lot of fire from that comment if people by chance defend this theory.

I mean, some people defended Bigfoot. Why not the 2012 Apocalypse? lol
Old November 2nd, 2012, 06:09 PM
Blade_of_darkness
War Machine
Community Supporter

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Skype™ to Blade_of_darkness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Car View Post
While I agree, you're probably going to take a lot of fire from that comment if people by chance defend this theory.

I mean, some people defended Bigfoot. Why not the 2012 Apocalypse? lol
I highly doubt that this will happen, as last time I know, most, if not all, of the people who responded to all those end of the world threads around here believe that stuff to be nothing more than a hoax cooked up to stir up panic & paranoia among the masses.

& I'm sorry if my last post sounded offensive, but just hearing about those apocalypse theories just grinds my gears to no end.

^ The last thing you see before you die ^
Old November 2nd, 2012, 06:19 PM
Ice Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade_of_darkness View Post
I highly doubt that this will happen, as last time I know, most, if not all, of the people who responded to all those end of the world threads around here believe that stuff to be nothing more than a hoax cooked up to stir up panic & paranoia among the masses.

& I'm sorry if my last post sounded offensive, but just hearing about those apocalypse theories just grinds my gears to no end.
No, I'm fine. I actually agree.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 10:41 PM
Plumpyfoof

Send a message via Skype™ to Plumpyfoof
I know it's ridiculous because for the Mayan's it's the exact same as our calendar ending. And since when have they been labelled the predictors of bad things happening? It's not like they've done it before.

But deep down there's definitely a part of me that wants some sort of apocalypse, just to see how i'd go surviving. (Not well I bet.)
Old November 2nd, 2012, 11:34 PM
AWsquared
It's another wolf bite.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to AWsquared
I don't believe it personally. As I Christian I believe that only God is the person who truly knows, but that's just my beliefs. And also when you add in all the other factors, it's just the end of their calender, not the end of the world. Any incidents that they "predicted" (If I heard right , according to the Mayans claimed to predict major disasters such as 9-11 and Hurricane Katrina and I think the 2011 earthquake and tsunami in Japan) are merely coincidental.

Mega Sceptile and Treecko for life yo.
DeviantArt |Tumblr | Art Gallery| Ask Me Stuff |Paired to | Avatar source:[x]
Old November 3rd, 2012, 02:10 AM
Plumpyfoof

Send a message via Skype™ to Plumpyfoof
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWsquared View Post
I don't believe it personally. As I Christian I believe that only God is the person who truly knows, but that's just my beliefs. And also when you add in all the other factors, it's just the end of their calender, not the end of the world. Any incidents that they "predicted" (If I heard right , according to the Mayans claimed to predict major disasters such as 9-11 and Hurricane Katrina and I think the 2011 earthquake and tsunami in Japan) are merely coincidental.
I hate to sit on your religion, but is God really a person? Surely his omnipotence would inspire a more extravagant form. Like a dragon, or a planet.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 04:36 AM
shenanigans
hear me roar

Yeah, I don't think it's gonna end at all because I... see no reason for it to end, really. I've not looked all that much into theories behind it and explanations and stuff but given that it was predicted by people with a far lesser understanding of how stuff works than we have today, I don't see much reason to believe it at all. Yes I think the world will end at some time, but I don't know when or how, and I don't really think anyone can say for sure.

Fixing the thread title btw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumpyfoof View Post
I hate to sit on your religion, but is God really a person? Surely his omnipotence would inspire a more extravagant form. Like a dragon, or a planet.
I know if anyone could really say, and regardless, that's a whoooooole other tangent we're probably best staying off of in this discussion. d:
Old November 3rd, 2012, 05:30 AM
BanditThePikachu
The Raichu of awesome

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to BanditThePikachu
I doubt it will happen, honestly.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 05:35 AM
Major Ziggs
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I love doomsdays, it's an excuse to binge out on food and no one cares because they're all worried about dying :D But nah, I don't believe it's the end of the world at all, there's no logical reason it would be. Most of the theories I've heard about how the world will supposedly end are pretty ridiculous so unless someone forces it to happen for some sick, twisted reason, I can't see the world ending any time soon. That's not to say it'll never end though; eventually the sun will burn out or we'll destroy it ourselves and then we'll be left with nothing, but that's not going to happen for an incredibly long time yet.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 05:36 AM
Olli
we keep this love in a photograph

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWsquared View Post
I don't believe the 2012 disaster in the slightest, and can't wait to see all the commotion on the internet on the 22nd, but surely if they actually did predict all those things, it wouldn't just be a coincidence. Think of how many days they could have supposedly predicted that such disasters would happen, yet getting so many right. Just doesn't really sound plausible in the slightest.

But yeah, I don't believe in their predictions, neither do I believe in this rumour.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 06:35 AM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
It's drawing ever so closer! I remember reading about it in 2009 thinking oh that's miles off, but now it's literally next month. I don't think anything will happen but it's always good to keep an open mind.

Old November 3rd, 2012, 06:42 AM
shenanigans
hear me roar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicune™ View Post
I don't think anything will happen but it's always good to keep an open mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dawkins
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
I think it was Dawkins who originally said this, anyway. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. It's not often that I use quotes in discussions since I don't think they really mean anything special just because they were said by a famous person, but this one sums up my thoughts on being open-minded about realllllly ridiculous things such as this. d:
Old November 3rd, 2012, 09:39 AM
Keiran
Moshtradamus

Nature: Careful
I don't think any natural disasters or anything of the sort will happen, but I think people will incite their own chaos, especially in the middle east where it's already bad. So I think around this time it will be the end of the world as we know it, politically and culturally, but not literally.

(Especially if Romney wins. :/ )

又 yltfos os kaeps and low 又
Wandering Allowed, Wondering Aloud
Old November 3rd, 2012, 05:01 PM
Aeon
Now face the avalanche

Nature: Quiet
Eh, I'm still going to opt for either humanity blowing itself up, or the sun becoming a red giant and engulfing the earth. In which the latter mankind would probably be extinct already.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 10:12 PM
AWsquared
It's another wolf bite.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to AWsquared
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumpyfoof View Post
I rather not answer that, since as Razor Leaf said that's way off topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli97 View Post
I don't believe the 2012 disaster in the slightest, and can't wait to see all the commotion on the internet on the 22nd, but surely if they actually did predict all those things, it wouldn't just be a coincidence. Think of how many days they could have supposedly predicted that such disasters would happen, yet getting so many right. Just doesn't really sound plausible in the slightest.

But yeah, I don't believe in their predictions, neither do I believe in this rumour.

I don't exactly remember if they did or did not predict certain disasters, but I probably shouldn't have said they were coincidences if true. I believe they're just myths that they predicted the disasters.

Mega Sceptile and Treecko for life yo.
DeviantArt |Tumblr | Art Gallery| Ask Me Stuff |Paired to | Avatar source:[x]
Old November 4th, 2012, 03:19 AM
Pokestick, good times.
An awesome usertitle
Community Supporter

Yeah, the mayans predicting 9/11, Hurricane Katrina and the 2011 earthquake of Japan is giving me a looooooooooot of "BULL****"-vibes.

Mostly since I've never seen any mention of that before. I'm going to assume some random internet weirdo made it up.

I mean, if we put aside that they never had any doomsday prophets. Let's just say they actually predicted some disasters.

Why would the give a damn about 9/11, a hurricane hitting the US and an yet another earthquake hitting Japan? That has nothing to do with them. And there have been so many more serious disasters than those. I'm not intending to belittle 9/11 here, but it wasn't THAT big if you compare it to other catastrophes. And would definitely not be to the Mayans.

Anyway, how can people believe the Mayans successfully predicted random catastrophes in the 21st century, but couldn't predict their own downfall and the coming of the Spanish, who caused absolute mayhem for all people involved?

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links