Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Metal & Color Generation
Notices

Metal & Color Generation Take a walk down memory lane with Red, Blue, and Yellow, the games that started it all! Then revisit the best region ever in the original Johto games, Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 17th, 2012, 01:25 PM
LividZephyr
Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks

Send a message via AIM to LividZephyr Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LividZephyr

Advertise here
Gen I didn't have them, so group them I shall not.

Apart from the Red Gyarados, did anyone ever catch a legit shiny in GSC? Way back when, before we knew as much as we do now.

I don't remember ever encountering one, to be honest, until I ran into a shiny Geodude in Union Cave this week when I was Lapras hunting in my Crystal replay (the day system isn't working). First legit non-Gyarados shiny I've encountered in any Pokemon game since the Route 1 Pidgey in LeafGreen (true story). Too bad it's emulated on my phone, and I couldn't transfer it to show off on Wi-Fi anyway :/
Old October 17th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Hookersmacker
Super Saiyan

Nature: Naughty
I caught a shiny magikarp,evolved it, and everyone thought I got it from the lake of rage. .__.
Old October 17th, 2012, 07:27 PM
#isthenumbersign

Nature: Sassy
I spent a lot of time playing that generation, no shiny ever. I didn't care though since I didn't even really understand what they were anyways. I ended up killing Gyarados many times. Guess Johto wasn't very lucky for me. :P
Old October 17th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
The Second Generation was the Generation I had found the most shinies. Ever since I have actually only found one shiny in the wild s-sob. If I remember correctly ...

Silver: Donphan. Was my first shiny ever.
Gold: I restarted after getting a shiny both times in this game because it was my restarting game and I didn't bother to transfer Pokemon but I got a Shiny Oddish and a Shiny Weedle in two separate play throughs!
Crystal: Shiny Elekid hatched from an egg. Didn't even realize that it was shiny until I brought it over to Pokemon Stadium 2.
Old October 18th, 2012, 06:07 AM
93Aiwass
Getting Back into Pokemon

Nature: Careful
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

I remember that I had caught a shiny once (beyond the red Gyrados)... however, I am not sure what it was since it has been a while.

Love is the Law, Love under Will.

Some explanation on terms: Do what... & Love is... | 93 | Aiwass | Holy Guardian Angel
Getting back into Pokemon after 5 years of being out of it... this is going to be a hard learning curve...
Here is what I look like, in case you were curious.
Babalon is my mother, and she loves me.
I'm an initiate of a secret society... Hmm, do secret societies have websites?
Old October 18th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Sephirothxx
Pre-ordered Omega Ruby <3 I'll finally be up to date with Pokemon.

Nature: Relaxed
I recently hatched a Shiny Picu in crystal since I had to restart my game to replace the internal battery. My first shiny ever and prolly my last.
Old October 23rd, 2012, 05:21 PM
Powalen
the Dark Sovereign

I actually didn't know about shinies until R/S/E where I caught a Sunkern, but in Generation 2 I thought the Red Gyarados was Red because of being forced to evolve and it was unique. I have only ever encountered one shiny pokemon in Crystal and It was a mere Sentret. I caught it a few weeks ago while playing Crystal waiting for White 2

"By force of will!"
Old October 23rd, 2012, 05:27 PM
Sydian
But you're still hungry.

Nature: Timid
The only shiny GSC Pokemon I have other than Gyarados is an Igglybuff! But that was from the Odd Egg, so idk if that'd count really since you have a 50% chance of getting a shiny from it. :( Other than those two, I've never had a random encounter with a shiny in this game. Only generation I haven't had a shiny RE actually.

paired to crono
Old October 23rd, 2012, 06:30 PM
Necrum
The box. You opened it. We came.

Nature: Adamant
I never found one until this year, but my friend apparently found a shiny Metapod in Silver, thought they had changed it's color pallet (first one she encountered) and killed it. She later realized what a horrible mistake she had made. I scolded her for this.
Pinhead
Moderator of Pain
Paired with Orianna

Challenges
Carnival of Horrors
Monotype Challenge
Ones That Got Away

Trade Info
1435-4289-9306
TRT DB Shuppet!
Old October 23rd, 2012, 07:44 PM
WarriorCat
Monotype lover!!!!!

Nature: Serious
A story:

I remember one time, about 7 years ago when I was 15, I was babysitting a 6 year old for a friend's mom. He was playing Ruby, I showed him my all three of my GSC games, and he had never heard of them, I let him play one, I traded all my Silver Pokemon to Gold, then let him start a new file on Silver. He got to Union Cave and found a green Onix, I told him to catch it because it was shiny. I let him keep the game to show to his friends, and I eventually bought a new copy.

My personal shiny collection(in GSC)

I have caught 6 shinies in GSC since they came out to now.
Here's a list:
Girafarig on Route 43 in 2001(Gold)
Sandshrew in Union Cave in 2002(Gold)
Elekid from Odd Egg in 2005(Crystal)
Zubat in Slowpoke Well in 2007(Crystal)
Ponyta in Mt. Silver outside in 2010(Silver)
Igglybuff from Odd Egg in 2011(Crystal)
Old October 23rd, 2012, 11:00 PM
Bleacher
Chaos Worshipper

Seems like I'm quite lucky. In GSC I caught some shiny mons. Here:

Gold- Shiny Mareep (my first shiny, yay), Shiny Rattata just before Goldenrod City.

Silver- Shiny Caterpie (the golden worm, the best looking shiny IMHO), Shiny Belsprout

Crystal- Shiny Goldeen, Shiny Iglibuff (Odd egg), Shiny Elekid (Second run, odd egg), Shiny Magby (duh).

Counting the evolved forms and the Shiny Gyrados I reared 21 shinies. Though I never managed to get a shiny starter and shiny legendary despite try after try!
Join my Pokémon RP (link in banner).
I love visitors, VM/PM me anytime you want to chat/share anything.
Old October 24th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I did indeed! I only ever caught one, but it was a beauty nonetheless <3 I caught a shiny Teddiursa on Silver and I was so happy, it's such an adorable Pokémon and I'd always wanted to use one ever since seeing a trainer with it nearish the start of the game. At the time though I didn't actually know what a shiny Pokémon was and just assumed it was a regular Teddiursa but caught and used it anyway, so it's pretty lucky that it's not something I usually would've just killed for exp!
Old October 24th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Mochi

Nature: Sassy
In GSC I ran into a shiny Drowzee, Krabby, and Nidorina. Didn't have any Poke Balls for the Nidorina though, but the Drowzee and Krabby are long gone because of drained batteries, reset, etc.

I know you have like a 50% chance of getting a shiny from the Odd Egg in Crystal.

Throughout all of the games though, I've honestly never met anyone who's found more shinies (without cheating devices) than me. I can't even remember how many I caught in Gen III uvu
Old October 24th, 2012, 12:51 PM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
I only owned Gold, but it was the love of my life during my childhood, haha. Surprisingly I did catch a shiny. It was a shiny Swinub! I was so shocked and surprised, because I never knew what shiny pokemon were. I didn't know if Swinub's were brown or blue, but I had a feeling that they weren't normally blue, so I caught it and looked it up. To my surprise I caught something extremely rare! :D I can still remember sitting in front of my fireplace with my GBC, catching that. Oh, the memories.
moderator | lovely pair | PC live
Old October 24th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Sephirothxx
Pre-ordered Omega Ruby <3 I'll finally be up to date with Pokemon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleacher View Post
Seems like I'm quite lucky. In GSC I caught some shiny mons. Here:

Gold- Shiny Mareep (my first shiny, yay), Shiny Rattata just before Goldenrod City.

Silver- Shiny Caterpie (the golden worm, the best looking shiny IMHO), Shiny Belsprout

Crystal- Shiny Goldeen, Shiny Iglibuff (Odd egg), Shiny Elekid (Second run, odd egg), Shiny Magby (duh).

Counting the evolved forms and the Shiny Gyrados I reared 21 shinies. Though I never managed to get a shiny starter and shiny legendary despite try after try!
Dang man you are lucky as hell. The only shiny I have EVER had is the shiny pichu that I hatched this past summer.
Old October 25th, 2012, 03:15 AM
Bleacher
Chaos Worshipper

Haha, maybe I really was at that time. Anyway, some months ago I found this glitch on internet:

Catch the Red Gyrados, send it to R/B/Y (any). Teach it Mimic TM. Now find a wild ditto, use mimic on it to learn Transform, then transform into that ditto. Capture the enemy ditto. Send it to G/S/C. The Ditto will be SHINY! Breed any non-legendary pokemon with this ditto, and the egg has 1 in 64 chance of producing a shiny pokemon.
Join my Pokémon RP (link in banner).
I love visitors, VM/PM me anytime you want to chat/share anything.
Old October 31st, 2012, 03:47 AM
Z-THE-MASTER-OF-POKEMON
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Serious
In the G/S/C series was that actualy hooked me on pokemon and well to answer your question I have caught the following shinys
1st ever: bellsprout
2nd: snubbull
3rd: gyarados
4th: zubat
5th: cubone
6th:pichu
That's from all the games
Old November 4th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Cyndafan
The Danish Trainer

Send a message via Skype™ to Cyndafan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorCat
A story:

I remember one time, about 7 years ago when I was 15, I was babysitting a 6 year old for a friend's mom. He was playing Ruby, I showed him my all three of my GSC games, and he had never heard of them, I let him play one, I traded all my Silver Pokemon to Gold, then let him start a new file on Silver. He got to Union Cave and found a green Onix, I told him to catch it because it was shiny. I let him keep the game to show to his friends, and I eventually bought a new copy.

My personal shiny collection(in GSC)

I have caught 6 shinies in GSC since they came out to now.
Here's a list:
Girafarig on Route 43 in 2001(Gold)
Sandshrew in Union Cave in 2002(Gold)
Elekid from Odd Egg in 2005(Crystal)
Zubat in Slowpoke Well in 2007(Crystal)
Ponyta in Mt. Silver outside in 2010(Silver)
Igglybuff from Odd Egg in 2011(Crystal)
I also found a shiny ponyta outside mt silver but that was in hg

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android
White FC: 1334-7147-6279
Old November 4th, 2012, 12:52 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Other than the egg and Gyarados, I have caught a shiny Graveler and Golbat in Victory Road. I also got a shiny Electabuzz after the one I traded from Red turned out to be shiny. I also found a shiny Ratata before I had the Pokédex in Gold.
Old November 4th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Brendino
#fpt2014

Nature: Quiet
Aside from the Red Gyarados, I never did manage to catch a shiny Pokemon in Gold, but I did see one. I was on Route 45, when a shiny Teddiursa appeared. My team was already leveled up to around 40 at that point, and I think it was at level 18 or 20. I ended up one-hit KOing it with what I thought was my weakest move, and I wouldn't find another shiny Pokemon until I moved on to Sapphire.

Favorite Pokémon Tournament 2014: DARK // NORMAL
Old November 4th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Max'd_Out
Keyblade Master

Nature: Modest
Other than the Red Gyarados, the only shiny I ever caught in G/S/C was a shiny Ratatta, which I evolved into a Raticate. Lost it along with most of the rest of my Pokemon when the internal battery died.
Old November 4th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Zero Percent
Loading... Please wait

I started out with a shiny cyndaquil, I'm pretty sure. Either that or I hatched it from an egg. Can't remember!
Old November 14th, 2012, 11:47 AM
haxorusraxorus
Unhatched Egg

Besides the red gyrados I've never encountered a legit shiny in my crystral profile :/
~haxorus has mold breaker
Old November 14th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Correspondence

I think shinies don't like me.I've only seen and caught like four, three of which don't exist because i forgot to save but getting on topic i really didn't see any shinies except the red Gyarados in G/S/C and i really didn't know shinies existed until Ruby.
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:51 AM
~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
Buffalo State College

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to ~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
Other than the shiny Pokemon egg that I received and catching the shiny red Gyarados that I've never used in battle, I've caught a shiny Pidgey on the first route, headbutted a tree to find a sleeping shiny Hoot-hoot and a Gastly. I never used any of these Pokemon in battle,not even to brag to my friends.

TG

Friend Code: 3136-6961-3807 Friend Safari:Steel: Metang, Magneton and Klefi
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here