The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 7th, 2012, 02:36 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
So we've all been hacking games on the handheld devices as we pretty much know already. We've created so many new hacks for GameBoy, GameBoy Color, GameBoy Advance and Nintendo DS. Those ROM hacks have brought either a totally new storyline... or they are just a simple modification to the game to either make it harder or improved.

Since we have so many different tools for hacking the games for those handheld devices... it has brought us even more excitement and has encouraged others to come up with new ideas and even more research into the games and how it's ARM7 or ARM9 functions work, and several other stuff that we find out inside the ROMs themselves.

For a long time, PC has pretty much been focusing on the games on the handheld devices... but what if we could also be hacking the Nintendo GameCube and Wii games? If someone were to create hacks on GCM or ISO images... just imagine how many more people would think about developing hacks for GCM and ISO images. But of course... before hacks can ever start... research always comes first, and it's just simple as looking into the game itself.

Has anyone here on PC ever thought about hacking GCM or ISO images before? It has been done before on games like Mario Kart Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and many more.

Just imagine if some people here on PC thought about researching games like Pokémon Colosseum or Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness... then we could simply look into them... see if we could make some changes and several other stuff like that. If we ever started hacking Pokémon Colosseum or Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness... it could bring us a step closer to hacking the future Pokémon games that would be on the 3DS, which could be likely to use the same mapping system and battle system (except for "Call").

But let's just see what the future brings, one day I'm sure someone is bound to think about researching GCMs, which actually makes me think... a very few GameCube games have actually been hacked before, but it will be interesting if that actually changed. It's already possible to view GameCube GCMs using ConsoleTool, same with Wii ISOs.

Has anyone ever thought about hacking GameCube GCMs or Wii ISOs?

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old September 7th, 2012, 01:18 PM
hinkage
Go make some new disaster
Community Supporter

Many, many people hack GC and Wii ISOs, but really only for the most popular/frequently played games like, as you said, SSBB (Brawl+, Brawl-, Balanced Brawl, Project M, etc. LOL).

Handhelds are much more popular because the emulators are better, the games don't lag that much even if you have a bad computer, and because they're easier to hack.
Old September 7th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Penta Penguin
Sorting out my mental problems.

I think I tried an ISO image once, which was probably Crash Bandicoot on the ps1, but I don't think I found a great deal on it, so I decided to scrap it.

Looking for a scripter desperately for Pokemon Dark Nebula. If you
would like to help, drop me a PM or VM.
It's a Romhack btw.
~Twitter~ ~Youtube RH~ ~Youtube Music~
Old September 7th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
If I recall, Sonic CD is an ISO image, right? Not saying I've hacked it, but I would love to just to force back a return of Bubsy the Bobcat in some way...(This is my assumption due to the fact that Sonic Megamix is an ISO file)

Oh yeah, I remember I used to edit the music using... Riivolution or something, I forget, but that stopped working as it would freeze if it tried to update.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old September 11th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Platinum Lucario
Community Supporter

Hm... it's interesting... Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness works very well on Dolphin Emulator, even the soundtracks work very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkage View Post
Many, many people hack GC and Wii ISOs, but really only for the most popular/frequently played games like, as you said, SSBB (Brawl+, Brawl-, Balanced Brawl, Project M, etc. LOL).

Handhelds are much more popular because the emulators are better, the games don't lag that much even if you have a bad computer, and because they're easier to hack.
But as you pretty much said... they do have some lagging, but hey... I don't mind the lagging. lol But if anyone who has a Wii can actually run their GameCube ISO on their Wii, Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness would also be a perfect ISO base to create hacks on, if we were to create Pokémon hacks on a GameCube. I've even looked through the ISO using ConsoleTool and found several .fsys files in there, which could very well be the GameCube version of NARC files on NDS ROMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjora Marxvile View Post
If I recall, Sonic CD is an ISO image, right? Not saying I've hacked it, but I would love to just to force back a return of Bubsy the Bobcat in some way...(This is my assumption due to the fact that Sonic Megamix is an ISO file)

Oh yeah, I remember I used to edit the music using... Riivolution or something, I forget, but that stopped working as it would freeze if it tried to update.
Hm... speaking of Riivolution... I've found a tool called pdx-pff3 which can create patches. It supports any ISO file, no matter even if it's something like a PS3 ISO or any other console, it was originally made for PlayStation ISOs, but it also supports any other ISOs from consoles as well, from what I've read. It could be used for future GameCube hacks.

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old September 13th, 2012, 07:39 AM
SayWhat
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Gentle
looks very good.I like it.
Old September 15th, 2012, 07:14 AM
thanethane98
Self Proclaimed Expert

Nature: Relaxed
Hacking gamecube roms could be interesting, but one question... Would these be even tougher to work with than DS roms are?
Old September 15th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Platinum Lucario
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanethane98 View Post
Hacking gamecube roms could be interesting, but one question... Would these be even tougher to work with than DS roms are?
Well, it would take more time to work on than NDS ROMs, but overall... it would be just as simple as the NDS ROMs, 'cause they both have an organized storage for the files and all that, when you try opening up a GameCube .gcm with ConsoleTool, you'll find that there's alot of data that are in files such as .fsys, and those files would be usually the sort you'd try to research into. But of course... there's also the bootloader file and of course apploader file. From what I've seen, of course. These are probably the binary data for the RAM (Random Access Memory), and the bootloader is probably what contains the commands for which parts of the game it loads to and stuff, like the ARM9 binary in NDS ROMs. As for the apploader... I assume is for stuff like the GameBoy Advance connector to load the app onto the GameBoy Advance from the GameCube GCM.

Old September 24th, 2012, 08:40 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
I think until there is a good and fast programs for GC or Wii emulation there won't be any interest in them hacking.

That's the main problem, I tried to emulate Wind Waker on my computer, thing took half an hour and I still couldn't find an easy and free emulator for GC. So given that I can't even play it, I don't think I'll hack it.

Old October 22nd, 2012, 05:30 AM
sab
Now too much of a life.

Nature: Timid
I've actually been toying around with wiiscrubber and some gamecube decompilers, and it's not as bad as you might think. There are a lot of obscure formats, but the main thing is that .iso and .gcm files take up a huge amount of disc space. This isn't necessarily as bad though, because everything is much more structured, meaning that you don't have to deal with a lot of code all at once. I seem to remember someone doing research a while back about how to change text and a trainer's pokemon in Colosseum, but I think it was all still at the hex editing stage last I saw.
Old October 27th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjora Marxvile View Post
I've been trying to do that for Wii Sports myself. I wanna fool around with the Wii music format and use Riivolution to try them out. I can't get the XML formatted properly though. I have a bunch of BSTRM files though.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old November 4th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Naruto200
Togepi

Nature: Brave
speaking from personal experiance, brawl hacking is hard as hell
theres less tools now yeah, but getting everything working...
<_< lets say you won't be seeing Twilight Princes's Ice Foes enemies over Ike anytime soon.

I did manage to get quite a few characters imported though.

Part of the reason I started rom hacking was because (big shock) it was simpler to understand than brawl hacking and I can do a lot more to the game.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 08:01 PM
sab
Now too much of a life.

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
I've been trying to do that for Wii Sports myself. I wanna fool around with the Wii music format and use Riivolution to try them out. I can't get the XML formatted properly though. I have a bunch of BSTRM files though.
I hate rii with a passion. It makes life much more complex for hacking. Try just patching things in with wii scrubber rather than screwing with the XMLs.
Old December 6th, 2012, 01:29 PM
AMT
Unhatched Egg

Seems like its alot more work to do on ISO images.
Old December 18th, 2012, 03:45 PM
MegamanDX
Pokemon/Megaman fan

Nature: Hardy
Send a message via Skype™ to MegamanDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbourne Bubblun View Post
I think I tried an ISO image once, which was probably Crash Bandicoot on the ps1, but I don't think I found a great deal on it, so I decided to scrap it.
WHAT!?!?!?!?! Your my god now!!!! Turn it into where a Pokemon(Charizard or Zoroark) instead explores the levels and BAM!!! You got a epic hack!(kind of a fan of the Crash games too....)

Just saying.....

To OP: I would think and agree with everyone on here...the emulators for the 2D games work really well and also I would think are easy to hack a game with only 2D sprites....
Old March 5th, 2014, 03:36 AM
I Had To Register.

I'd like to make a relatively "simple" modification to Pokémon Colosseum by changing the in-game Trainers' teams so everyone has six Pokémon with a Shadow Pokémon, and change a different set of Shadow Pokémon in (possibly make a randomizer). However, I have absolutely no clue which of these "*.fsys" files holds the trainer data, as most of them seem to be models and animations. Anyone here know how the structure of the Pokémon Colosseum ISO works?

Last edited by I Had To Register.; March 5th, 2014 at 03:46 AM.
Old March 6th, 2014, 02:13 AM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
This thread hasn't been posted in for over a year. Please do not revive these type of threads.

-Locked-

~karatekid552

Paired with Simba
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links