Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central
Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Old October 26th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Azureth

Nature: Calm

Advertise here
I don't get it. They're just a form of alternate EXP, yet they deliberately hide it from the User Interface and keep it vague.Why don't they put a gauge on the status screen that showed how far certain EVs accumulated on each stat? I can understand why IVs are kept obscure, since they're used to randomize stats, but EV is a form of character progression.

And on that note....they should put the Pokedex 3D move set data into the game itself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC8hS...eature=related
Old October 26th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Powalen
the Dark Sovereign

It makes it more challenging.

"By force of will!"
Old October 26th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Seki
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
The game makers would just probably want to make the game easier to understand for young kids as the game is targeted to kids. EVs are at the competitive battling catergory which explores a lot into the game engine, that would be difficult for kids to understand. So that's probably why they hid it from the UI.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old November 1st, 2012, 11:37 AM
LightOfTruth
Likes Hacks and Official Games

Maybe they could stick a option to turn effort values on/off in the options menu of Gen 6 and have it switched off when you start. This means you have to go to options to and turn it on. There is a few things they can do in that options screen to improve the game

Get some Sims 3 stuff now

Old November 1st, 2012, 11:45 AM
#isthenumbersign

Nature: Sassy
There are a lot of other aspects hidden, IVs probably being the notable one. So idk, if they made EVs visible they might be obliged to display IVs too. They're both pretty difficult to understand so I think that does actually play a factor.
Old November 1st, 2012, 12:45 PM
WeGotTheJazz
Unhatched Egg

Because Game Freak secretly want to make our lives miserable.
Old November 1st, 2012, 12:59 PM
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Nature: Lonely
You are not supposed to care about EVs. They were only added to the game so that a Lv.100 Charizard had different statistics than another Lv100 Charizard. EVs ONLY exist to make each pokemon you capture a unique creature.

The target audience is still 10 years old, and they don't care about min/maxing their pokemon. When my nephew was 10, he would use his Empolion in every battle and never use other pokemon.

EVs are cool, and I do train "almost perfect" pokemon, but Evs are not fun for children. So, they are a "secret".
Old November 1st, 2012, 01:17 PM
Hoenn
Elite
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
This is mainly why I don't bother with them, it's hard to keep track of them and I find it all too confusing tbh.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 09:33 AM
morrison

Nature: Quiet
Yea I don't care about them either really so no need to show them for me. those that are interested in them still have the in game peeps telling them if a poke has maxxe4d out ev.

Pokemon Hardmode Sapphire Comic
starts as b/w but turns colourful a couple of pages later
Old November 2nd, 2012, 09:38 AM
Autophobic
Fearing Isolation

Nature: Gentle
They probably kept it hidden because they knew that a lot of younger kids would just play the games casually, not competitively.
~ Pokemon Crystal Shiny Breeder ~

I'm currently breeding for a Shiny Tauros.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 09:15 PM
True Honey
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Calm
Maybe it is just to keep the game more random, as without it being so easy to figure out or understand it gives a greater variety to Pokemon battles that the audience doesn't know about. Also, EVs are a very hard concept to fully understand and take advantage of so, for the target audience which is primarily younger children, the game mechanic is probably too hard.

Avatar & Signature: The Little Flying Jumpluff by ~ alright123100 (deviantART)
Old November 4th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Rivvon
Unburden Belly Drum
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
There are already many older teens and young adults who can't even wrap their heads around the concept of EV training; a child seeing EVs would get confused no doubt, and trying to explain EVs to them would probably turn them off from the game. That, of course, is every game developers worst nightmare. So they exist for the competitive players, but are kept hidden for the sake of people who don't want to deal with them.
The fact that in B2W2 Bianca, as the new "effort reader," tells you which stats your Pokemon are EV trained in is pretty significant in its own right. Also, it's easy enough to just mark off how many EVs your Pokemon has gained. It's pretty irritating when you're trying to reset EVs, but at the same time the berries stop working once they've hit 0, so even then it's not so much of an issue that they aren't shown.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here