• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Have you ever wished you chose a different starter???

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
have you ever gotten a new Pokémon game and chose a starter, then later got the other game that was released with that (for instance, you purchased Pokémon Black first, then purchased Pokémon white three months later) and you chose a different starter and you ended up liking that starter better??? and wished you would have chose that starter instead in the first game you purchased...

this happened to me with Pokémon Black/White, I got Pokémon Black first and chose Snivy... in four months, I got Pokémon White and chose Oshawatt and when Oshawatt eventually evolved into Samurott, I really liked Samurott!!! Samurott became my favorite Water Type Pokémon!!! I then was wishing I first chose Oshawatt in Black!!!

has anybody else had a situation like this???

this can apply to any Pokémon gen...

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
When I choose a starter Pokemon, which I plan ahead of time, I end up doing well with it, so I don't think about wishing I could change it.

Sirfetch’d

For some reason I have always chose the best starter each gen on the first run through.

#isthenumbersign
Years
I usually end up hating all the starters by the time everything's all said and done, so I don't really regret anything. xP

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I typically plan, plus I restart the games often and end up getting to try out all three. Gen IV and V starters were underwhelming, to say the least.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Yeah, that happened to me when I got Ruby. I chose Treecko. When I replayed the game, I chose Torchic, and it was much much better than Treecko... so I never chose Treecko again xD

But AFAIK, all starters have their ups and downs, the best one just depends on personal preferences.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I actually just did that with White 2, but I can't say I like any of the Unova starters enough to be really happy with any of the choices v_v

I picked Oshawott, and it's definitely adorable and I love it and Dewott, but Samurott is kinda... bleh. I think the Tepig family is my favorite of Unova.

Years
I don't think there's ever been a time that I've been disappointed with the starter that I've chosen. Granted, I usually try to not use my starter that much when I play through the games, but I don't think that at any point did I want to go back and change which one of them I picked.

Years
The only time I was disappointed with a starter was when I picked Turtwig in Platinum, and I knew that slow starters aren't my thing so I restarted and went with Chimchar.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Not really. I useally end up getting all 3 of them anyways. Heck in White,I started with all three at once thanks to having both pokemon black and white. That was fairly fun.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
I haven't felt any sort of regret with the starters I've gone with. For PokeDex purposes, I usually end up with one of each starter per gen, and if I want to utilize the ones I didn't go with, I can just make another team around it! :3

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
I used Oshawott and Tepig in Black and White, so I decided to go with Snivy. By the second gym I was sick of his lack of good moves, so I traded in a Charizard and put Snivy in the box. He's still there to this day.

Last edited:

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
I don't really regret the starter's I choose, as they are normally the strongest ones. Sometimes, I pick based on design, other times, on what I think they will be like at 3rd evo.

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
Only time I've done this was in Diamond. I chose Piplup and didn't get very far before wishing I could've changed it, so I restarted and chose Chimchar. In Pearl, I chose Turtwig and then ended up liking it despite the issues I had with its speed when it evolved, and kind of wished I'd just chosen Turtwig to begin with in Diamond.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I've only ever had to switch starters on the rare occasions that I started with the Grass Starters. Never had a very good run through the game when I choose the grass types so I tend to always ignore them. I give them one chance when I get extra copies, but they never live up to my expectations.

Valvatorez

Prinny Instructor
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 19, 2013
I plan my choice ahead of time, so I've never really regretted it. I tend not to run two Pokemon of the same type, so I have regretted it on occasion when my choice in starter has meant that I've ended up not running something else that I wanted to, but it's never bothered me too much.

I sometimes trade for all three starters if I can't choose between them. My first Diamond game I ran all three, and I did that with my copy of SoulSilver, as well.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I guess the closest to this happening to me was when I started with Chimchar on my Pearl version. Eventually I decided to restart my Pearl and the second time around I chose Turtwig. I must be one of the few who can use Grass types because I enjoyed using Turtwig so much more. The same kind of goes for White and then Black 2? Though I guess I didn't give Tepig much of a chance after the second gym in either of my White playthroughs. Ah well.

Other than that ... not really.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
After choosing Snivy in Black 2 I wanted to change because that was a terrible idea.

Back