The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

View Poll Results: You play B2W2 on...
Nintendo DS 39 21.79%
Nintendo 3DS 112 62.57%
Both 28 15.64%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 5th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Perico
Ripper

Nature: Gentle
Yesterday I thought of playing White 2 on my 3DS, since it could be more comfortable for me not to be switching between both consoles (DS and 3DS) every time I wanted to play a DS or 3DS game... as soon as I started White 2, I remembered why I wasn't playing any DS game on it... yes, they look quite bad and I can't stand it.

So, I'm wondering, do you play B2/W2 on your 3DS? Or you prefer doing it on DS/DSi because of the bad look of the games on 3DS?

Allez, hop!
Old November 5th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Aura Vitae
Down, Sword Hand!

Nature: Quiet
I'm playing White 2 on my 3DS mainly because of the Dream Radar and because I got rid of my DS after getting my 3DS.

Pokemon X FC 3368-1319-2305
Old November 5th, 2012, 10:57 AM
holdmykidney
Riddled with pokerus

Nature: Naughty
I started playing it on the 3ds but now I've switched back to the DSi.

I actually don't mind the way DS games look on the 3DS. I think it's fine.

But, it does bother me that DS games block the StreetPass function on the 3DS. I was recently in Japan and I wanted to leave the 3DS AND Pokemon White 2 sharing data with passers-by so I had to leave both running.

I've also found that sometimes when I put White 2 into the 3DS, sometimes the cartridge doesn't register. It doesn't seem to "fit" the 3DS properly. Anybody else had this?

My personal opinion is that Black and White 2 are really started to show how dated the current Pokemon engine is. Even my wife asked, since this is the latest game in the series, why do the Pokemon in the foreground of the battle look so rubbish. Everything the game is trying to do with zooming images, medals (i.e. trophies) and data sharing needs to step up and embrace the features of the 3DS. That's what it's there for.

Last edited by holdmykidney; November 5th, 2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: More info
Old November 5th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

I'm playing on the 3DS because it's all I have
But in all fairness, it's like the GBA quality on a DS. Looks good, but it's not the same.

When I get Dream Radar, that'll be my reason.
Old November 5th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Mochi

Nature: Sassy
I play it on my 3DS XL, and sometimes I'm okay with the distorted resolution but most of the time I do the Start + Select trick when the game boots up to have the correct resolution.

I only use my DS Lite when I'm trading Pokemon, but I kind of want another one or a DSi because my Lite has a broken hinge and is pretty uncomfortable to play.

I'm seriously considering this one. uwu

Old November 5th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzaleaLightning View Post
I play it on my 3DS XL, and sometimes I'm okay with the distorted resolution but most of the time I do the Start + Select trick when the game boots up to have the correct resolution.

I only use my DS Lite when I'm trading Pokemon, but I kind of want another one or a DSi because my Lite has a broken hinge and is pretty uncomfortable to play.

I'm seriously considering this one. uwu

You do know you can trade between a 3DS/DS/i
Right?
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:07 PM
holdmykidney
Riddled with pokerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post
Right?
You can But the game does dislike you using the online function between different consoles. I don't know why, but it always throws a hissy-fit at me if I change consoles and try to go online!
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Dmatt
Medium-Rare Trainer

Nature: Modest
I think it looks horrible, no matter what handeld you use...
I used to play White on my DSi, then sold it, and months after I got a 3DS. I guess I forgot if it was any better, but in my perspective, they both look awful when they zoom in your pokemon...
I just tried the Start + Select trick that someone mentioned, but it just makes them tiny, yet, still horrible :p

My point is, GameFreak really *really* needs to step up with this zooming thing. All other sprites and stuff are fine IMO, specially on Black 2, all but the zoom.
White : 0905 9140 0338

My thread: Trades, EV services, Breeding. Clicky.
Old November 5th, 2012, 04:16 PM
`Brianna
Mahamagiha, my friends!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to `Brianna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmatt View Post
I think it looks horrible, no matter what handeld you use...
I used to play White on my DSi, then sold it, and months after I got a 3DS. I guess I forgot if it was any better, but in my perspective, they both look awful when they zoom in your pokemon...
I just tried the Start + Select trick that someone mentioned, but it just makes them tiny, yet, still horrible :p

My point is, GameFreak really *really* needs to step up with this zooming thing. All other sprites and stuff are fine IMO, specially on Black 2, all but the zoom.
What is this start and select thing you speak of? What does it do? I am curious.

I mostly play it on my 3ds because it's more comfortable that my Dsi and DS lite. I sometimes switch, though, when my 3ds isn't charged and vice versa.
Old November 5th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Hikamaru
オニゴーリ
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
When I get Black 2, I will be playing it on my Ice Blue DS Lite that I have used with all other Pokemon games.
Old November 5th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Cataclysmic
A New Adventure

Nature: Calm
I started on the 3DS, switched to the DSi, and finally ended up on my new 3DS XL after getting it for my birthday.
Old November 5th, 2012, 05:17 PM
MrTripStack
Unhatched Egg

I actually decided on selling my DSi to a friend once I purchased my 3DS and playing White 2 on my 3DS is my only option at the moment. It does look a little different, but it doesn't bother me too much.

I've been thinking about buying another DSi (or even a DS Lite), so I'd be able to trade between my games whenever I need to, without having to use somebody else's DS. I keep deciding against it because I know that the games will eventually move to the 3DS, and the DS would then be useless to me.

And Dream Radar, for the win!
Old November 5th, 2012, 05:21 PM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

Nature: Careful
I play on my DS Lite. I've always loved it, and I think on 3DS, the gaming experience is just...different.
Old November 5th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Krazzikk

Nature: Relaxed
Well, due to me being poor i don't really have a 3DS, so yeah, DSi.
Old November 5th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Mochi

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post
Right?
Yeah, I said I trade between my Lite and 3DS but want a new Lite because my current one is funky to play on from the broken hinge.

The 3DS XL does have a slightly longer battery life, but the previous DS systems still trump the 3DS systems as far as battery goes by a longshot. Makes it nicer to play games for long periods of time like on road trips and such.
Old November 5th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
Hope will never die! ~Lucina

I use my DSi! I have a 3DS, but I don't like the way DS games look on it. They look all weird, and then when you hold select to make it proportional it goes so small! So yeah, that is why is use my DSi!
Old November 5th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Iceman3317
Kalos Explorer!

Right now I am using my DSiXL. I plan on getting the 3ds xl sooner or layer,but I just don't feel like wasteing money for a new DS when I just got the IXL 2 years ago after having the first DS they came out with sense then.
Old November 5th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Synerjee
A madman with a box.

Nature: Relaxed
I think I'm the only one here who played it on an emulator on my computer. :P The main reason of this being my DS Lite is at home and I'm not at home now. And the emulator works just as fine, but without WiFi connection. And it makes my computer throw fits, make loud angry whirring noises and crash all my open applications. Yeah. I should change my computer soon. But that's out of topic lol. ><

I want a new DS! Anything. 3DS or DSi. It would make me so very happy.

pairs | twitter | showdown | lake valor | pc family
Old November 5th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Rivvon
Unburden Belly Drum
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
I first booted it up on 3DS and I don't care for how blurry it looks at all. It looks much better on my DSi, which is what I'm using. I only put the cartridge into my 3DS when I need to transfer something from Dream Radar.
Old November 5th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Dmatt
Medium-Rare Trainer

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by `Brianna View Post
What is this start and select thing you speak of? What does it do? I am curious.

I mostly play it on my 3ds because it's more comfortable that my Dsi and DS lite. I sometimes switch, though, when my 3ds isn't charged and vice versa.
It changes between "full resolution" and "original" or something of that sort... But it looks way too small when you play it that way, and the distortion "fix" is minimal. If anything, just the overworld looks sharper, but the battle looks not-so-good.
White : 0905 9140 0338

My thread: Trades, EV services, Breeding. Clicky.
Old November 6th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
Playing it on a DS Lite myself. Or rather, on my sibling's DS Lite. Mine has a broken hinge that makes it hard to play on and it also doesn't seem to like to connect to wifi at all anymore. Hopefully I'll be getting a 3DS to replace my DS relatively soon.
Old November 6th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Cassino

Quote:
What is this start and select thing you speak of?
One only needs to hold select, actually. Do so as a DS game is starting (ie. during the black screen before anything comes up).

Quote:
What does it do?
As Dmatt said, it will cause a DS game to run at its native resolution. I will add that because the physical size of pixels on a 3DS screen is smaller, the display will be smaller than on a DS.
Old November 6th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

I have to play it on my 3DS as that is the only one of my DSes that Wi-fi works.
Old November 6th, 2012, 10:03 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I'm currently using my 3DS for B2/W2; I mainly use my DSi for trading between my own games.

Old November 6th, 2012, 04:00 PM
rizoph
Mime Jr.

Nature: Mild
I'm playing on a 3DS because my little sister is the one with a DSi.

Join tsukinohito.com/temp_forum
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links