The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:22 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Think of the one person you know who died most recently. Now, you're given the chance to give them 1 hour of life back, but in return you have to give up one year of yours. Do you do it? Why or Why not?

To make this more effective, the last person you think of who died, make sure it's someone you truly cared a lot for. For those who cannot recall anyone who's died in their lives before, think of that one person who you'd miss the most should they ever pass away before you're really ready to let them go.
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:41 AM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
It depends. If I had something I really wanted to tell them or whatever then I'd probably make the exchange but otherwise most likely not. Clinging to the past is not a best practice.
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:51 AM
Esper

An hour really isn't that much time. Wouldn't a day be more reasonable?

Regardless, there isn't anyone I would do this for at the moment because (thankfully) the people closest to me are all still alive and well.

deviantart blog pair
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:55 AM
AzaleaLightning
Bouncer, hey bouncer ♪

Nature: Sassy
I wouldn't. As Drakow said, clinging to the past is never something anyone should do.

I would like to tell my aunt everything that's happened in my life since she passed several years ago, but I can't and I wouldn't give up a year just to have her for an hour, and lose her again.

Tumblr | MyAnimeList
Ooh, let me in right now
or I'll get physical with you

Old October 31st, 2012, 11:26 AM
Cassino
A TPC classic.

No. Sheer selflessness has no place in a functioning relationship between any two entities.
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:10 PM
LividZephyr
Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks

Send a message via AIM to LividZephyr Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LividZephyr
My grandpa died a little over a month ago.

And I wouldn't do it. He was a 93-year-old man, suffering in his final days. It was time for him to go, and giving him one more hour of pain would have been a bad thing. I miss him dearly, but he hadn't been himself for an entire year. I'm not being selfish here... he was just... ready

Credit to whomever drew that Hilda picture. Lemme know if that's you.

~*~ 3DS FC: 3540-0366-4191 ||| Mii name: Andy ||| IGN: Amanda ~*~
Old November 1st, 2012, 06:17 AM
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection

Nature: Adamant
The last person I knew who died was about a month younger than I am. He would have turned 22 on November 28, but he died on June 2 of the leukemia that he had battled with on and off for most of his life since he was four years old.

Honestly, if I had to sacrifice one whole year and all he could get was one more hour, then no, I wouldn't do it. By the end he'd had enough and he was comfortable with the thought of dying. This had been a long time coming and he was expecting it, so I doubt he had any unfinished business to take care of... especially that could be dealt with in one hour.

If it were a year for a year, then I would do it in a heartbeat. The idea that I could sacrifice one of the old crusty unenjoyable years of my life so that he could have one more in his would be something amazing. He didn't deserve anything that happened to him, and I think if everybody he knew just donated one year of their life, then he could have a full and happy one and that would be just epic. With the amount of people at his funeral, he'd outlive us all! XD

The one caveat to bringing him back would be that he'd be healthy, though. I wouldn't want to bring him back sick. He'd had enough of that.

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old November 1st, 2012, 09:33 AM
Broken_Arrow
Paper plane~

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Broken_Arrow
Yeah i would do it because such moments in life deserves giving more than just a year..

Last edited by Broken_Arrow; November 1st, 2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old November 1st, 2012, 09:53 AM
Galukxy
→Not someday.Today is the day.

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via AIM to Galukxy Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Galukxy Send a message via Skype™ to Galukxy
Considering my Late Nanny was in a lot of pain and had suffered with an illness before dying. I think that eternal slumber was what she wanted most in the end. However, she missed a lot of things she wanted to do over her last years, but she never got the chance to do them. So, I would give up a year so she could do those things; just for her.

DA||MAL || Portfolio

Old November 1st, 2012, 10:13 AM
Hybrid Trainer
My Secrecy. My Advantage.

If I was able to choose when this hour happened, and they were in full health and wouldn't experience any pain or anything like that when their hour was up I would do it.
The last person who I know who passed away was my grandmother who died a year ago today, since she was battling cancer and lived an hour away from me and a lot of my family she passed away before a lot of people could say a final goodbye. If I could give up a year of my life to have an hour to say goodbye to her and tell her how much I love her I would do it.

"I am confident that if anyone actually penetrates our facades, even the most perceptive would still be fundamentally unprepared for the truth of House Dimir."
-Szadek, Lord of Secrets

Old November 1st, 2012, 06:10 PM
Brynjolf
It's so overt it's covert

Let's say I die at 102 years old.
I would do it.

Then it would let me see my great grandma again, and then it would also take off a bed-ridden year from my life. In no way do I wish to live past 95, because everyone I know who got past 95 was practically a skin sack full of alzheimers.
Old November 1st, 2012, 08:41 PM
Arago
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I would do it. It wouldn't seem like much of a loss to me, even though it's a full calendar year worth of life I'd be losing. I don't have a proper explanation for why it wouldn't seem like much of a loss to me, either, but that's my reason why I would. An hour with someone I lost after the fact would mean a lot to me.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 11:59 PM
Hannah
exceptionally ordinary

Nature: Calm
My gramma was the most recent person in my life who passed away. Honestly, I wouldn't, because I know my gramma wouldn't let me either.

i ii iii iv
you're just as
sane as i am

Old November 3rd, 2012, 12:13 AM
Autumn Reverie
The world bores you when you're cool.

Nature: Modest
No. There's no use clinging on to the past. The past is the past. It's time to let them go. Even though that person would be completely healthy in that one hour, I won't do it. One hour is too short a time. I couldn't possibly live to see someone for just an hour, only to lose that person again. If I had already gotten over that person's death, bringing that person back would only worsen my grief. Once a person is gone, God has called him or her back. I know that one day, I will see that person again.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 01:02 AM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Sassy
I wouldn't bring my dad back even if I gave up one hour of my life for him to come back for one year or ten years or 20 years. Since he wanted to die, I'm going to let him stay dead. Case closed.

Last edited by Mariah Carey; November 3rd, 2012 at 03:28 AM.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 03:37 AM
thisguy647
Unhatched Egg

I'd say no.

One hour with a person dead isn't enough to make up for a whole year of my life I could be spending doing other stuff. And really; changing the past isn't worth it for how much harm it can do. Fate has meant them to be dead; and that shouldn't be changed, especially for such a high price.

Really, there wouldn't be too much to talk about either, beside from what has been happening in your life, and that definitely isn't worth such the high cost. One year of your life can't be brought back.
(I'm tired of being what you want me to be)
Old November 4th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I wouldn't do it. My uncle is the only really close person that I've ever lost, and we knew it was coming, although his actual death was a sudden heart attack. He was having lots of trouble walking anywhere, was in pain a lot, and my aunt had to take care of him constantly. She loved him, they had been married for decades, but she seemed so free once she didn't have to worry about him and I think she was ready for him to pass as well.
Old November 4th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Ven Bloodia
Unmenschsoldat

Nature: Bold
I'd do it just to give my friend Tammy and her family one last hour of happiness together, she was taken too soon.
"Well what else is there to talk about, apart from the weather, the assassination attempt of the day being sponsored by El Dente's, and of course the latest political sex scandal involving foreign tranny midgets and elderly men in a 3000 dollar hot tub in a Beverly Hills suite."
Old November 5th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Nature: Relaxed
No one close to me has died recently, I don't think, so it's really hard for me to get into the hypothetical mindset of this but... I really don't think I would. One hour is just so little time and unless it was an hour where no one knew the person had/would die, it would just be awkward and emotional and weird and not at all a proper representation of that person's interactions. And if they didn't know, how would they know how precious that hour truly was? It doesn't really seem worth a year of my life but maybe if I were to lose someone really close to me, I'd have a very different answer. I've yet to experience any loss that has severely affected me, thankfully.

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links