• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Silver hack: Pokémon Dark Energy - Beta 5 Released

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
No offense, but I don't mind a little storyline in these videos. Someone doesn't want a spoiler, don't watch the video. ;) As it is, I can't get excited from this video as it tells me absolutely nothing about the hack; the storyline in the video could serve to draw people into the hack.

BTW, how did you post a new post after your old one? Mine always get doubled even if I post a week later.

Cyclone

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
I did pay attention, I just suppose I should have thrown the 'any' in italics.

So again, and give me a proper answer this time. Answering questions instead of being a smartarse is usually a good way to go.

Are there any pokemon that evolve via trade, or do they all have new methods of evolution. I only ask so I don't waste time training **** I can't evolve. I'm assuming you've covered them all but assuming won't get me anywhere.

Noting down the changes can help people plan out their teams easier. I'd suggest being more thorough when describing minor differences between the games, such as an evolution change.

Cheers.
Things you should know before starting to play

Like explained above, this is not an ordinary Pokemon game. Instead, I've tried to make it more of an RPG-game, like Final Fantasy series. If you get the feeling of playing a hack of this kind, I've succeeded in what I've been trying to do.

-For balancing, the stats of original RBY & GSC starter Pokemon (Bulbasaur --> Blastoise & Chikorita --> Feraligator) have been decreased by 5%.
-The Pokemon that were originally traded to evolve, evolve now by leveling up instead (Poliwhirl and Slowpoke can also be made to evolve by Water Stone into Poliwrath and Slowking).
-Eevee has had some changes as well (you'll find out these by playing the hack).
-Magikarp evolves by Water Stone (and may also learn some new abilities).
-Following Pokemon have their movesets edited:
Code:
Raichu, Nidoqueen, Nidoking, Clefable, Ninetails, Wigglytuff, Vileplume, Arcanine, Poliwrath, Victreebel, Exeggcutor, Starmie, Bellossom, Politoed, Sunflora, Scizor

Notice how all of them expect for Scizor are evolved forms of Pokemon that are made to evolve with stones. This is because I wanted to make it so people can freely evolve their Pokemon (when they've gotten to Lv30) when they get the needed stones as now the upper forms also learn all the moves their previous forms did. Scizor then again is in the list so that it will learn all Scyther's and Scizor's attacks. Notice that the upper forms of the Pokemon that evolve by stones, don't learn the attacks that their lower forms learn before level 30 (that's why the level limit).

There you have it. All trade evolutions have been disabled and described that you'll get the last forms of trade-evolution pokemon by leveling them up or by stones with those two.
Sorry for stupid answer but I wouldn't care less about which pokemon I'd be using when playing this hack which you're going to eventually notice yourself too. There will be no elite four in the end of the game so you don't have to worry about being able to have the best possible team or anything. Of course the quality of your party has to be at certain level but really, most pokemon you can catch will simply do and you won't need Alakazam, Arcanine or anything like that if you don't want to.

But yeah, this is covered in both the first post and the information in zip-file which you'll eventually run into before starting to play.

No offense, but I don't mind a little storyline in these videos. Someone doesn't want a spoiler, don't watch the video. ;) As it is, I can't get excited from this video as it tells me absolutely nothing about the hack; the storyline in the video could serve to draw people into the hack.

BTW, how did you post a new post after your old one? Mine always get doubled even if I post a week later.

Cyclone
You should be able to pick up a lot of things of this cutscene if you had played through beta 3 before watching it. Of course by not knowing what happens in that release, it's impossible to get even a general idea what's even going on here.
I'm probably not going to include any videos related straight to the storyline because that would spoil too much for those just starting to play the hack who shouldn't know what those Elemental Orbs really are. There won't be many storyline-related events to come before beta 4 but the ones related to it, are major and if I showed the text displayed in those sequences, people who played beta 3 would really get excited (not sure about ones who haven't tried it out yet like you haven't).

This little scene here wasn't actually related to the main objective of the party but storyline nonetheless.

Now that I think about it, I could upload a video of been ordered to do the main objective in the beginning of the game. By reading the storyline in the first post, you'll get the general idea behind what you're doing so I could show a video of that cutscene there. It shouldn't be that interesting though as you'll only get little information to start with and learn more and more while traveling. It's not like any other pokemon game in which you're made clear in the beginning what to do (often, go to collect 8 gym badges and defeat Elite Four). In this one, you're asked to go to see some scientists in a place called Rocky Mountain because they've found old text describing what happened 1000 years ago and something related to the Elemental Orbs. Once you finish this "main quest" by reaching Rocky Mountain in East-Suden, you'll actually notice your quest has only begun and you're needed for much more than you could have imagined, even possibly to save the world (unlike in most pokemon games, you're only able to explore a couple of areas you couldn't have been to earlier once finishing the main quest you're send out to carry).

As the being the hack owner, I'm able to triple-post if I've something worthy of saying on the second and third time. Of course making 4 consecutive posts is possible too if the hack is being ignored for whatever reason (this shouldn't be possible according to the rules but I don't think the mods would mind at all) and I've also got something worthy of showing the fourth time as well.

Edit:
In case you didn't see it ealier,

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2014
I just wanted to let you know that I think this hack could be the best G/S/C hack ever made once it's finished.
I've been playing it on my GBC via usb cartridge, so damn good. I appreciate that although it's different, you keep true to how i think gen ii hacks should be (no gen III-V pokemons, no new types, etc.)

I only wish that the West was finished! its disheartening to know that there's a peak on my journey i've yet to finish :(

please don't give up on this hack, there aren't any decent Gen II hacks on there.

I'm a GBC purist, and only want to play gen II hacks. personally i find the selection to be quite poor. Dark Energy is the only diamond in the rough i've come across.

Years
  • Seen Aug 1, 2017
[

There you have it. All trade evolutions have been disabled and described that you'll get the last forms of trade-evolution pokemon by leveling them up or by stones with those two.
Sorry for stupid answer but I wouldn't care less about which pokemon I'd be using when playing this hack which you're going to eventually notice yourself too. There will be no elite four in the end of the game so you don't have to worry about being able to have the best possible team or anything. Of course the quality of your party has to be at certain level but really, most pokemon you can catch will simply do and you won't need Alakazam, Arcanine or anything like that if you don't want to.

But yeah, this is covered in both the first post and the information in zip-file which you'll eventually run into before starting to play.

Balancing my team is just something I do I suppose. I enjoy covering as many types as possible to simply get through content without hitting walls. In the end I'm not too fussed as I've roughly set up my team but say something like Steelix, which isn't mentioned amongst that list, (which I assure you I did read on the first page before attempting and completing the current hack content) what level would that evolve at? Maybe chuck a list of the first page covering any evolutions you've changed so people know what they're aiming for as they progress.

In the end, if you'd prefer it to be more rpg like in the sense that you learn as you go, I understand that too.

Cheers for the passive response though, I apologise for being rude earlier.

miksy91

Years
I just wanted to let you know that I think this hack could be the best G/S/C hack ever made once it's finished.
I've been playing it on my GBC via usb cartridge, so damn good. I appreciate that although it's different, you keep true to how i think gen ii hacks should be (no gen III-V pokemons, no new types, etc.)

I only wish that the West was finished! its disheartening to know that there's a peak on my journey i've yet to finish :(

please don't give up on this hack, there aren't any decent Gen II hacks on there.

I'm a GBC purist, and only want to play gen II hacks. personally i find the selection to be quite poor. Dark Energy is the only diamond in the rough i've come across.
Thanks, that's also what I'm aiming for; not being the best hack ever made but it having totally unique storyline and implementing which differs greatly from the rest. I actually will add Rayquaza to the game later on but that's it. It won't even be obtainable but has a pretty good reason for being there (although a pokemon like Mewtwo or Lugia could simply replace it in this case but whatever).

The West (and more) is finished but not in the version released in public ;)

Prism would actually qualify as a "decent" gen II rom hack but there are others too, you might want to check out the hacks released in Skeetendo Inc.

Thanks for so positive feedback on my hack. And you can count on the fact that the gameplay will turn out even better as you progress further (in beta 4) :)

Balancing my team is just something I do I suppose. I enjoy covering as many types as possible to simply get through content without hitting walls. In the end I'm not too fussed as I've roughly set up my team but say something like Steelix, which isn't mentioned amongst that list, (which I assure you I did read on the first page before attempting and completing the current hack content) what level would that evolve at? Maybe chuck a list of the first page covering any evolutions you've changed so people know what they're aiming for as they progress.

In the end, if you'd prefer it to be more rpg like in the sense that you learn as you go, I understand that too.

Cheers for the passive response though, I apologise for being rude earlier.
Onix evolves at level 34 or 35 to Steelix if I remember right. I guess you're right, I could make an evolution guide or something for the hack too but the reason why I haven't done such things is to make the thread look different from the rest. I don't want people to bother about at which level does this pokemon evolve or stuff like that. That's completely off the general idea of the hack.

About getting Onix though, if you really want to get Steelix that is a good idea BUT...
Spoiler:

This hack is actually A LOT RPG-like, more than you'd imagine from what you can see in beta 3. I guess I planned the storyline until reaching Rocky Mountain badly because once you get there, you've already played around 60-70% of the hack "without any purpose" (of course there are storyline-related events along the way but not so many that you'll run into after this point). Once you've reached Rocky Mountain, you can say "Goodbye!" to the normal pokemon feeling, because the real action is just about to start!
Personally, I can tell that the remaining ~30% of the gameplay will be really epic. I've planned it out quite well, and have got feedback from other hackers and friends about it, and all of them liked it.

And don't worry about sounding "mean", I did that too you know. And I'm not offended by someone talking to me in a little bit harsh way so yeah, no problem really :)

Last edited:

y0r124

EpicTrainer
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 4, 2023
Whoa , this hack should be a Very Epic Hack ever :D

Years
I'm still trying to work my head around the de-stone I understand it's use but why? Unless you have all 5 evolutions move sets and want give it a stupid move set I'm kinda lost with the point of it I kinda felt pushed to take commander squirted and bulbasaur in my team so espeon or umbreon are my choices...
But I love how traded pokes don't have stupid ass names enjoying the story a lot great so far

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2014
When will Beta 4 be released? I'm going to hold out for that before I get too far along.
And I'm willing to let you know of any bugs I come across along the way :]

miksy91

Years
Whoa , this hack should be a Very Epic Hack ever :D
Thanks!

Spoiler:

I'm still trying to work my head around the de-stone I understand it's use but why? Unless you have all 5 evolutions move sets and want give it a stupid move set I'm kinda lost with the point of it I kinda felt pushed to take commander squirted and bulbasaur in my team so espeon or umbreon are my choices...
But I love how traded pokes don't have stupid ass names enjoying the story a lot great so far
Some think the way you do, others not ;)
I think it's cool to have a Flareon being able to use moves like Bubblebeam or Thunderbolt. After all, you've gotten them in a "legit" way.

So, Beta 3. Elemental Orbs =... WHAT GIVES?!?

:P Like the hack though. Pretty sweet.
Nothing as of now. You won't have to collect the Elemental Orbs yet at that time, only later on in Beta 4.
I know there are a lot of suspicious things about it but the further you progress, the more you know (and possibly, the more confused you get) :D

When will Beta 4 be released? I'm going to hold out for that before I get too far along.
And I'm willing to let you know of any bugs I come across along the way :]
Beta 4 will be released when it's done. I can't really say more about it for now; two months, five months, ten months, maybe more...
The thing is that I have yet to decide how much to include in it. I could actually set up a poll to the thread for people to vote how much they'd like to see in the next release. Should there be simply more gameplay, many new related to the storyline to see but nothing major or possibly around 85% of the final version gameplay by including both West and East Suden in it completely and the hack would be only missing the final events of the game (as well as some sidequests which would be revealed in final version) ?
I guess it actually would be a good thing to reveal the hack "piece by piece". I could make it so that beta 4 would contain that 85% of the gameplay or release two versions along the way (I already know good points where the hack could end until then) and make this 85% version be beta 6.

Sure, you can report all the bugs you notice but I'm already aware of these:

Code:
-PLAYER uses Escape Rope even if he doesn't have one (Deep Cavern).
-Flying palette
-Mart's music (Highland Town)
-Player's palette during the naming screen
-Disappearing scenes in Area 100, Area 107
-Jin's sprite change when he sends you out
-De-Stone is described as a Berry when a pokemon is holding it
-Warp sound (little girl THE CAPITAL) & Ledge in Area 100 sound

Most of these are related to how G/S have been programmed and cannot be fixed unless I re-programmed parts of its engine. Then there are also those minor script errors like with those disappearing scenes which I'll eventually fix but haven't just done so yet. Nothing game-affecting (or breaking) anywhere though.

By the way, thanks for all the comments :)

EDIT:
There is a poll up above! If you've played Beta 3, I'd like to hear your opinion about the contents of Beta 4.

Last edited:

Autophobic

Fearing Isolation
Years
This hack is really unique and fun. It's kept me pretty occupied, I'm at the third gym right now and I'm having a blast. Good job!

miksy91

Years
Yes Some support for you :classic: .
And hope next beta will be more Epic than beta 3.1 :laugh:
The further the next version goes, the more interesting it gets!
If I ended up releasing a version (poll above) which had the smallest amount of gameplay in it, that wouldn't turn out that epic yet as the storyline will start to play a bigger role in the game later but still...

This hack is really unique and fun. It's kept me pretty occupied, I'm at the third gym right now and I'm having a blast. Good job!
Thank you :)

One thing I've been "worried" of is the fact that the beginning of the hack isn't as unique compared to how it continues as I was still learning scripting at that time, and didn't plan everything out that well yet. Good to hear people aren't bored of it any way though. I know it's way different from Silver but I want also those, who aren't looking for a "travel from town to town" quest, not end up quitting in the beginning.

Thanks for the feedback and also reminding you to go to vote in the poll above! :)
Looks like I'll end up releasing the beta related to option 3 but we'll see.

Edit:
It's nothing major but would you like to see BW2's repel system ported into this hack? I hadn't heard about new repel feature of those games before until I read the newly posted tutorial by Dartharon about it. But this shouldn't be difficult to implement at all.

Last edited:

Autophobic

Fearing Isolation
Years
I've reached the end of the beta! It was super fun, great job!

e014c10c6e54421aa6a8f0a.png

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
The end of the beta leaves you generally around Lv.35? Interesting. Struggling in SoulSilver with Pokémon in the 40s right now. LMAO

Cyclone

Autophobic

Fearing Isolation
Years
The end of the beta leaves you generally around Lv.35? Interesting. Struggling in SoulSilver with Pokémon in the 40s right now. LMAO

Cyclone

Well, my Girafarig (level 51) helped me 1-2 hit most of the pokemon when the rest of mine fainted.

miksy91

Years
I've reached the end of the beta! It was super fun, great job!

e014c10c6e54421aa6a8f0a.png
Nice to hear you had lots of fun playing it :)
If you want to "complete" the beta, there are probably still a couple of things you haven't done yet (including finding 4 of the missing Pages and defeating "King of the Sea"). But even these aren't really made to be done at this point in the game yet but you can either way.

What I regret though is that it's getting more and more likely you won't be able to continue to beta 4 with beta 3 save because of all minor additions I'll be doing to improve the beginning of the game (mainly up to Greenwood Town or so). Or you actually pretty much can but will encounter minor bugs here and there if you do.

Autophobic

Fearing Isolation
Years
Nice to hear you had lots of fun playing it :)
If you want to "complete" the beta, there are probably still a couple of things you haven't done yet (including finding 4 of the missing Pages and defeating "King of the Sea"). But even these aren't really made to be done at this point in the game yet but you can either way.

What I regret though is that it's getting more and more likely you won't be able to continue to beta 4 with beta 3 save because of all minor additions I'll be doing to improve the beginning of the game (mainly up to Greenwood Town or so). Or you actually pretty much can but will encounter minor bugs here and there if you do.

Yeah, I've only found one page, I'll go searching for the rest. And I do have one question.. Why is the Squirtle you encounter shiny, but not the Bulbasaur or Charmander?

miksy91

Years
Yeah, I've only found one page, I'll go searching for the rest. And I do have one question.. Why is the Squirtle you encounter shiny, but not the Bulbasaur or Charmander?
For others to know, I replied Autophobic through VM because I don't see a point in just saying something without a reason to post anything else related to the hack/progress etc. Related to Squirtle's event, I'll probably make it a normal wild pokemon battle without Squirtle being shiny for the further releases (because there is no particular reason for it to be shiny).

Which led me into an idea... Who wants to see shinies being more common in the game? The current shiny pokemon encounter rate is 8/65536 but I could change it to any value between 1/65536 and 1 (= 100%). Every 1/100 pokemon or so being shiny would be a nice ratio I think.

nice work on the game im playing right now
Getting feedback later on would be appriciated :)

P.S
By the looks of how you've voted so far, I think I'll be going with option 3 (related to poll).

Back