The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 6th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Netto Azure
<<38th Generation Leaf Knight>>

Nature: Gentle

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
BUT HOW IS ALASKA VOTING?
Obv for Romney LOL.

OK THE PHONE CALL HAS BEEN MADE. ROMNEY HAS CONCEDED TO PRESIDENT OBAMA! :D

VA and NV goes for Obama. (Everyone says so but MSNBC.) It's 303-203 w/o FL and AK.

Romney is giving his concession speech. Yay.

Waiting on Obama's speech now. Expecting this :

Also in more important news, Puerto Rico just voted for statehood.

AK predictably goes Romney.

Only Florida remains.

“Sun, are you really all right? Does it hurt? Do you need help? Are you sure?”

Last edited by Netto Azure; November 6th, 2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old November 6th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Livewire
でんきタイプ

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
Obv for Romney LOL.

OK THE PHONE CALL HAS BEEN MADE. ROMNEY HAS CONCEDED TO PRESIDENT OBAMA! :D

VA and NV goes for Obama. (Everyone says so but MSNBC.) It's 303-203 w/o FL and AK.

Romney is giving his concession speech. Yay.

Waiting on Obama's speech now. Expecting this :

Also in more important news, Puerto Rico just voted for statehood.

AK predictably goes Romney.

Only Florida remains.

It's all finally over. On top of that, we had some great progressive breakthroughs all over America. Same Sex marriage is legal in Maryland now, and marijuana is legal in Colorado. Amazing.
Old November 6th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Oryx
Of the pigeon, by the pigeon, for the pigeon
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Gay marriage is pretty much guaranteed to be legalized in 3 states now actually. :)

I'm really curious to see the clash between Obamacare and Alabama's measure to reject mandatory coverage...
PM
Old November 6th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Netto Azure

Federal Law trumps State Law every time. Plus the Supreme Court already ruled Obama care legal so there's no roadblocks now.

Also Obama is giving his victory speech now. :3 "The Best is yet to come!"

I have a recommendation to the President. Make election day a national holiday already!

Old November 6th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Me President Again

And now, just like when he first got elected, we get to sit back and wait for people to start threatening to assassinate Obama.

Edit - Although Federal law trumps State law, what really matters is if the Fed enforces their own laws. Half the time, they don't and tend to leave enforcement up to the State.

Edit 2

Lookit some of this.
http://mittromneycentral.com/community/chat/

Come play Runescape
Old November 6th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Vintage Arachnid
im always watchin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Vintage Arachnid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
Gay marriage is pretty much guaranteed to be legalized in 3 states now actually. :)

I'm really curious to see the clash between Obamacare and Alabama's measure to reject mandatory coverage...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post

It's all finally over. On top of that, we had some great progressive breakthroughs all over America. Same Sex marriage is legal in Maryland now, and marijuana is legal in Colorado. Amazing.
Yay but sadly I don't think it'll pass in the fourth state that has voted on it, Minnesota. But I'm thankful that it passed/will pass in these three states (Washington, Maine, and Maryland).

Marijuana is legal in Colorado and Washington. I didn't even realize it was on the ballot for those states and I didn't even think it would pass.

THE EXTREMELY JEALOUS PAIR OF CAREFULWETPAINT
Old November 6th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Oryx
Community Supporter

Minnesota isn't voting to pass it. They're voting to ban it, and it's a really really close vote, too close to call at this time.
PM
Old November 6th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Vintage Arachnid
im always watchin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Vintage Arachnid
Oh geese, you're right. Bad mistake on my part. I knew there was about Minnesota that was different than the other three. Yeah but from what I read it's entirely too close.

THE EXTREMELY JEALOUS PAIR OF CAREFULWETPAINT
Old November 6th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Livewire
でんきタイプ

Also, there is a possibility that by the end of the night, there will be 21 women senators. You wanted change? You got it tonight.
Old November 7th, 2012, 01:52 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

And, in one of the last contested races of the day, it looks like Michelle Bachmann will hold onto her seat for 2 more years, with a 3600 vote lead with only 2% of precincts not having reported.

This does not make me a happy camper in the slightest.
Old November 7th, 2012, 02:39 AM
Went
wonderful frog seed

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
Well, apparently the polls weren't wrong. Or skewed. Or picturing an electorate from 2008. Or calling the wrong people. No, apparently the polls were right. Who would have guessed!

Nate Silver wins the election.

I'm still a bit dskddjfja from staying up until 4:30 AM but I'd do it again XD
Old November 7th, 2012, 06:37 AM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Also, there is a possibility that by the end of the night, there will be 21 women senators. You wanted change? You got it tonight.
Actually, no change happened last night. While liberals will celebrate the results for President, they also have to realize that Congress will remain exactly the same. The GOP retains the House, while the Democrats still have 51 Senate seats, with there being 2 Independents. I expect the big issues to be kicked down the curb for the next two years as both sides end up coming to status quo compromises.

Last edited by FreakyLocz14; November 7th, 2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Netto Azure

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
Actually, no change happened lasf night. While liberals will celebrate the results for President, they also have to realize that Congress will remain exactly the same. The GOP retains the House, while the Democrats still have 51 Senate seats, with there being 2 Independents. I expect the big issues to be kicked down the curb for the next two years as both sides end up coming to status quo compromises.
Or maybe the Republicans will finally wake up on Immigration Reform and realize that pissing off the fastest growing segment of the population isn't a winning election strategy?

Old November 7th, 2012, 07:14 AM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
Or maybe the Republicans will finally wake up on Immigration Reform and realize that pissing off the fastest growing segment of the population isn't a winning election strategy?
They might concede on immigration, but I seriulsy don't see any concession on much else. They won't budge on the Bush tax cuts, unless the Democrats concede something else to them. We already have John Boehner saying that the election was not a mandate for either party, but was rather more time being given to the current leadership in both the White House and in Congress.
Old November 7th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Esper

I think it'll be a lot harder for the Republicans to be obstructionist in the wake of this defeat. They don't even know who'll be the Democrat running in '16 for starters.

I'm very pleased to see what Washington, Maryland, and Maine have done. Good job, y'all. Minnesota, you got some explaining to do. We're happy you voted for Obama and all, but still.

Todd Akin, Richard Moudock, Tommy Thompson, Josh Mandel - all gone! And Elizabeth Warren won in Massachusetts! Looks like we're stuck with Michelle Bachmann, but at least we got rid of crazy, crazy, Allen West down in Florida. At least Florida did something right, you redheaded stepchild of the election, you.

California didn't get rid of the death penalty, and that's a bit of a sour aftertaste, but at least we passed Prop 30 and won't go into worse financial trouble.

deviantart blog pair
Old November 7th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Glad that the DP is still in effect. I think rehabilitation works, yes, but even I will admit that their are those that are not worth the time, effort, or trouble to rehabilitate.

I dislike that we are just killing them and calling it that. I'd rather the blood and organs be harvested, instead of pumping the person full of poison.

Immigration reform is needed, but we also need to get rid of the current illegals. Basically, get rid of the illegals but also make it easier for them to enter the country legally, should they choose to return.

Come play Runescape
Old November 7th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Livewire
でんきタイプ

Quote:
Actually, no change happened last night. While liberals will celebrate the results for President, they also have to realize that Congress will remain exactly the same. The GOP retains the House, while the Democrats still have 51 Senate seats, with there being 2 Independents. I expect the big issues to be kicked down the curb for the next two years as both sides end up coming to status quo compromises.

21 Women senators, the most at any one time in American history, is change. An openly gay woman senator from Wisconsin, no less, is the the epitome of that change and shift in our thinking. Marijuana legalization in Colorado and Washington State is change. More states voting to legalize same sex marriage is change. Rooting out the tea party garbage and GOP extremists - West, Akin, Mourdoch, etc, is change. The American electorate is changing right before our eyes. Wise up and realize that or be left in the dust of history. Your choice.
Old November 7th, 2012, 09:54 AM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
I think it'll be a lot harder for the Republicans to be obstructionist in the wake of this defeat. They don't even know who'll be the Democrat running in '16 for starters.

I'm very pleased to see what Washington, Maryland, and Maine have done. Good job, y'all. Minnesota, you got some explaining to do. We're happy you voted for Obama and all, but still.

Todd Akin, Richard Moudock, Tommy Thompson, Josh Mandel - all gone! And Elizabeth Warren won in Massachusetts! Looks like we're stuck with Michelle Bachmann, but at least we got rid of crazy, crazy, Allen West down in Florida. At least Florida did something right, you redheaded stepchild of the election, you.

California didn't get rid of the death penalty, and that's a bit of a sour aftertaste, but at least we passed Prop 30 and won't go into worse financial trouble.
Actually, Minnesota failed to pass an amendment that would have banned samd-sex marriage. Same-sex marriage is not currently allowed in Minnesota, but anti-LGBT forces wanted to write it into the state constitution.

Also, two states legalized marijuana yesterday.

I honestly think that social issues got Obama reelected. The hardline stances that the GOP took on LGBT issues, immigration, and rape turned off many voters whom might otherwise agreed with the Republicans that Obama handled the economy poorly.

The saddest loss for me last night was not Mitt Romney's, but Scott Brown's. He was a friend of liberty who voted to repeals DADT and DOMA, and wanted immigration reform, but also voted to repeal Obamacare, and to keep taxes low. I didn't vote for Romney, while I worked hard to attempt to get Brown reelected.

Also, here's a statistic that interests me: 79% of Ron Paul supporters voted for Libertarian Party candidate Gary Johnson, 11.5% wrote-in Ron Paul's name, 5% voted for some other thrid party candidate, 3.5% voted for Romney, and 1% voted for Obama.

Finally, the Libertarian Party set records this election! They doubled their popular vote total from 2008, and broke their popular vote percentage record that was set in 1980 by Ed Clark!

P.S.
Maijuana legalization isn't a win for the Democrats, Livewire. The national Democratic Party opposes marijuana legalization. Both gubernatorial candidates opposed legalization when it was on the ballot here in California two years ago. The results in Washington and Colorado are Libertarian wins, not Democratic wins.

Last edited by FreakyLocz14; November 7th, 2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Magic

Quote:
P.S.
Maijuana legalization isn't a win for the Democrats, Livewire. The national Democratic Party opposes marijuana legalization. Both gubernatorial candidates opposed legalization when it was on the ballot here in California two years ago. The results in Washington and Colorado are Libertarian wins, not Democratic wins.
Not to step on Livewire's shoes but he said it was 'change', he didn't mention who was winning or benefiting from it.
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:19 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
The only explaining we have to do is how Michelle Bachmann still has her seat (but, surprisingly, it was a very conservative district that almost voted her out). Those in favor of marriage equality needed to vote No here in order to keep from constitutionally banning gay marriage. Gay marriage is still illegal here, and has been statutorily so for the past 4+ decades. This is just keeping from making it effectively permanently outlawed.
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Livewire
でんきタイプ

Quote:
Actually, Minnesota failed to pass an amendment that would have banned samd-sex marriage. Same-sex marriage is not currently allowed in Minnesota, but anti-LGBT forces wanted to write it into the state constitution.

Also, two states legalized marijuana yesterday.

I honestly think that social issues got Obama reelected. The hardline stances that the GOP took on LGBT issues, immigration, and rape turned off many voters whom might otherwise agreed with the Republicans that Obama handled the economy poorly.

The saddest loss for me last night was not Mitt Romney's, but Scott Brown's. He was a friend of liberty who voted to repeals DADT and DOMA, and wanted immigration reform, but also voted to repeal Obamacare, and to keep taxes low. I didn't vote for Romney, while I worked hard to attempt to get Brown reelected.

Also, here's a statistic that interests me: 79% of Ron Paul supporters voted for Libertarian Party candidate Gary Johnson, 11.5% wrote-in Ron Paul's name, 5% voted for some other thrid party candidate, 3.5% voted for Romney, and 1% voted for Obama.

Finally, the Libertarian Party set records this election! They doubled their popular vote total from 2008, and broke their popular vote percentage record that was set in 1980 by Ed Clark!

P.S.
I made no assumption as to who to attribute the victory to, your own warped partisan views did that. Social change is social change.

And at the end of the day, what matters is that the White House & Senate are bright blue and the GOP/Tea Party are reeling from another disastrous defeat. Maybe next time they won't pick a fight with a new electorate immune to their bullcrap.

Last edited by Livewire; November 7th, 2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Crap instead of asterisks, lol
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:45 AM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Quote:
I made no assumption as to who to attribute the victory to, your own warped partisan views did that. Social change is social change.

And at the end of the day, what matters is that the White House & Senate are bright blue and the GOP/Tea Party are reeling from another disastrous defeat. Maybe next time they won't pick a fight with a new electorate immune to their bullcrap.
Voter supression and ballot stuffing might have kept the White House blue, but the Senate is still only dimly blue, not bright blue. The House is also still bright red.

You are also errouneously equating the GOP with the TEA Party.

Last edited by FreakyLocz14; November 7th, 2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Oryx
Community Supporter

They would win so much more if they would just back off of social issues, seriously. I will never vote for a Republican as long as they keep pushing those social issues, and a lot of people feel the same way.
PM
Old November 7th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Livewire
でんきタイプ

Quote:
Voter supression and ballot stuffing might have kept the White House blue, but the Senate is still only dimly blue, not bright blue. The House is also still bright red.

You are also errouneously equating the GOP with the TEA Party.
Voter suppression failed to make it red again, you mean. And right now it's looking to be a 55-45 majority.

Then distance yourselves from the lunacy and call them out instead of pumping millions into supporting them. The Tea Party is a GOP faction, an they cost the GOP the senate, again. Haha.
Old November 7th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Mario The World Champion
Slice through the evil, Gundam
Community Supporter

I just heard that Florida is too close to call. What is up with Florida?! They don't punish anybody for the death of an innocent baby, they throw a woman who defended herself in jail, the whole 2000 controversy, the long lines to vote and now this.

I wonder how Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock feel right now after they made those stupid and offensive rape comments and lost their races. Maybe others won't use rape as a position ever again.

Banner made by Angela || Pair: Lucy
Friends: Lucy, Angela, Jen, Sammi-san, Jeremy the Sweetie, Signomi
Fanfiction.net page || DeviantART Page || Twitter || NaNoWriMo Page

Ash Ketchum: Formula One Driver
The Pokemon Tower's Best In Category Crossover Award Winner October 2005
3DS Friend Code: 0232-8258-5085
Friend Safari: - Meditite, Pancham, Riolu
Shiny Value: 1672
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here