The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 5th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Moltres Rider
Banned

Nature: Modest
have you ever gotten a new Pokémon game and chose a starter, then later got the other game that was released with that (for instance, you purchased Pokémon Black first, then purchased Pokémon white three months later) and you chose a different starter and you ended up liking that starter better??? and wished you would have chose that starter instead in the first game you purchased...

this happened to me with Pokémon Black/White, I got Pokémon Black first and chose Snivy... in four months, I got Pokémon White and chose Oshawatt and when Oshawatt eventually evolved into Samurott, I really liked Samurott!!! Samurott became my favorite Water Type Pokémon!!! I then was wishing I first chose Oshawatt in Black!!!

has anybody else had a situation like this???

this can apply to any Pokémon gen...
Old November 5th, 2012, 10:05 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
When I choose a starter Pokemon, which I plan ahead of time, I end up doing well with it, so I don't think about wishing I could change it.

Old November 5th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Castform

Send a message via Skype™ to Castform
For some reason I have always chose the best starter each gen on the first run through.
Old November 5th, 2012, 12:02 PM
#isthenumbersign

Nature: Sassy
I usually end up hating all the starters by the time everything's all said and done, so I don't really regret anything. xP
Old November 5th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Jak
eye of the needle

Nature: Timid
I typically plan, plus I restart the games often and end up getting to try out all three. Gen IV and V starters were underwhelming, to say the least.
Old November 5th, 2012, 12:26 PM
LightningAlex

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LightningAlex Send a message via Skype™ to LightningAlex
Yeah, that happened to me when I got Ruby. I chose Treecko. When I replayed the game, I chose Torchic, and it was much much better than Treecko... so I never chose Treecko again xD

But AFAIK, all starters have their ups and downs, the best one just depends on personal preferences.

Old November 5th, 2012, 01:12 PM
AzaleaLightning
Bouncer, hey bouncer ♪

Nature: Sassy
I actually just did that with White 2, but I can't say I like any of the Unova starters enough to be really happy with any of the choices v_v

I picked Oshawott, and it's definitely adorable and I love it and Dewott, but Samurott is kinda... bleh. I think the Tepig family is my favorite of Unova.

Tumblr | MyAnimeList
Ooh, let me in right now
or I'll get physical with you

Old November 5th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.

Nature: Quiet
I don't think there's ever been a time that I've been disappointed with the starter that I've chosen. Granted, I usually try to not use my starter that much when I play through the games, but I don't think that at any point did I want to go back and change which one of them I picked.
Old November 5th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
The only time I was disappointed with a starter was when I picked Turtwig in Platinum, and I knew that slow starters aren't my thing so I restarted and went with Chimchar.

Paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
Battle Server | Tumblr | TWL | Profile | Supporter

Old November 5th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Syltti
Lilligant's Loving Trainer

Nature: Calm
Nope. In Black/White and Black 2/White 2 I only pick Oshawott or Snivy. I'd never pick Tepig, so I have no problems.

FC - 4012-4737-6781
Y Battle Record: [0 Win(s) - 1 Loss(es) - 0 Tie(s)] - Latest Battle Video: N/A
"Ryana.. She's a Necromancer. Hers, however, uses a very peculiar system and grants her amazing abilities that no other necromancer has managed to replicate. Necromancers can control zombies, skeletons, and ghasts; Ryana specializes in zombies, but has a secondary handle on skeletons. People see Necromancers as horrible abominations. Ryana is nothing of the sort. It would take less than a day for anyone to realize that."

Fuyou Ayame - Elven Alchemist. Loving Mother. Royal Guardian.
Old November 5th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Iceman3317
Kalos Explorer!

Not really. I useally end up getting all 3 of them anyways. Heck in White,I started with all three at once thanks to having both pokemon black and white. That was fairly fun.
Old November 6th, 2012, 05:49 PM
True Honey
Unhatched Egg

I don't think I have ever regretted choosing a starter. I end up choosing the starter I'm going to use before the game ever comes out.

Avatar & Signature: The Little Flying Jumpluff by ~ alright123100 (deviantART)
Old November 6th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Rivvon
Unburden Belly Drum
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
I haven't felt any sort of regret with the starters I've gone with. For PokeDex purposes, I usually end up with one of each starter per gen, and if I want to utilize the ones I didn't go with, I can just make another team around it! :3
Old November 7th, 2012, 11:00 AM
SoulSilver10112
George the Poliwag

I used Oshawott and Tepig in Black and White, so I decided to go with Snivy. By the second gym I was sick of his lack of good moves, so I traded in a Charizard and put Snivy in the box. He's still there to this day.

Challenges:
Heartgold Nuzlocke: Completed!
Pearl Nuzlocke: Completed!
Heartgold Gender Discrimination Challenge: Completed!

Last edited by SoulSilver10112; November 7th, 2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Oops, typo.
Old November 8th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Ninjagon
Back from a break.

Send a message via Skype™ to Ninjagon
I don't really regret the starter's I choose, as they are normally the strongest ones. Sometimes, I pick based on design, other times, on what I think they will be like at 3rd evo.

There aren't many Lions left in the world now, yet poachers still exist. Even though it is illegal it still happens. Don't have anything to do with poaching - Take pride in your actions (pun intended)
Old November 8th, 2012, 10:03 AM
chella182
Drowzee

Nature: Rash
Only time I've done this was in Diamond. I chose Piplup and didn't get very far before wishing I could've changed it, so I restarted and chose Chimchar. In Pearl, I chose Turtwig and then ended up liking it despite the issues I had with its speed when it evolved, and kind of wished I'd just chosen Turtwig to begin with in Diamond.

Old November 8th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
I've only ever had to switch starters on the rare occasions that I started with the Grass Starters. Never had a very good run through the game when I choose the grass types so I tend to always ignore them. I give them one chance when I get extra copies, but they never live up to my expectations.
Old November 9th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Valvatorez
Prinny Instructor

I plan my choice ahead of time, so I've never really regretted it. I tend not to run two Pokemon of the same type, so I have regretted it on occasion when my choice in starter has meant that I've ended up not running something else that I wanted to, but it's never bothered me too much.

I sometimes trade for all three starters if I can't choose between them. My first Diamond game I ran all three, and I did that with my copy of SoulSilver, as well.
Old November 9th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
I guess the closest to this happening to me was when I started with Chimchar on my Pearl version. Eventually I decided to restart my Pearl and the second time around I chose Turtwig. I must be one of the few who can use Grass types because I enjoyed using Turtwig so much more. The same kind of goes for White and then Black 2? Though I guess I didn't give Tepig much of a chance after the second gym in either of my White playthroughs. Ah well.

Other than that ... not really.
Old November 10th, 2012, 11:36 AM
imevil
Biggest Scyther Fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
After choosing Snivy in Black 2 I wanted to change because that was a terrible idea.
Emerald Second City Challenge- COMPLETE
ULTIMATE MONOTYPE WATER!
Fire Red (COMPLETE) -> Crystal (COMPLETE) -> Emerald (COMPLETE) -> Platinum(COMPLETE -> Black 2

Hunger Games Challenge- District 8: Ruby 2/8

Old November 10th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Aeon
Now face the avalanche

Snivy in White 2. I liked it when I played B/W but wasn't that much of a fan here.
Old November 10th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Correspondence

The starters i pick usually work out so i don't think i've had that problem.
Old November 10th, 2012, 06:49 PM
CourageHound
Trust & Courage. Nothing More

Nature: Relaxed
The starters I pick are naturally always the ones that just suit me best in the end, so no I havent. Not that I think i'd ever switch a starter...cuz well...its your starter...except maybe blaziken
Old November 12th, 2012, 04:14 PM
SamuJake
I beat Red when I was 8' bro.

Considering the first thing I ever think of before I get the new Pokemon game is what starter will I chose and why, no, it's never happened to me.
Old November 17th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Corruptionation
Unhatched Egg

The first Starter I chose was Chikorita BY ACCIDENT in pokemon Gold for gameboy color... I was thinking about cyndaquil even though I had no expirence in pokemon. After I chose Chikorita and played through the game I really grew attached to Grass type starters and I've chose them ever since, I wonder now if I had chosen Cyndaquil back when I was 9 if I qould have always chosen Fire types from then on.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links