The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

View Poll Results: At what age?
10+ 1 0.94%
20+ 4 3.77%
30+ 3 2.83%
40+ 1 0.94%
50+ 0 0%
'Til death 64 60.38%
Not at a specific age, etc. 33 31.13%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 27th, 2012 (04:36 PM).
SkullKing
Nope

Nature: Lax
I probably won't ever stop, even though I might take large breaks.
Old October 27th, 2012 (04:58 PM).
BLOOOD-La-ti-
This is the place to try!

Nature: Jolly
I think I'll stop playing pokemon when I already completed the pokedex in every game.
But I'll never stop doing competitive battling! :D

oh check this out:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=373174
My new account. :3
Old October 27th, 2012 (07:14 PM).
Fomalhaut
Formal Hunt

Ah, yes, I can see it now. A decrepit, well-aged me, lying on his death bed. My wife, lying over my shoulder, weeping "don't go"'s and "I love you"'s in my ear, and me, silently nodding, secretly using my free hand to save my gen XI game...

I find this answer to be sufficient. And I would pay wife-tan all the attention in the world, as soon as I saved the game >>
Old October 27th, 2012 (08:55 PM).
SamuJake
I beat Red when I was 8' bro.

Nature: Modest
I'll quit when I don't like it anymore. Pretty simple question to me.
Old October 28th, 2012 (01:05 AM).
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
When I get bored of the franchise. Right now I couldn't tell you when/if that might occur, especially since I've been known to fall back on the older games when the newer ones had been disappointments.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes

Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP

Picture credit: Apple Cakes on deviantArt
Old October 28th, 2012 (09:08 AM).
Vicktor Black
Blaziken

Nature: Relaxed
I will continue to play even after I'm gone.

Always keep an open mind!
Old October 31st, 2012 (03:29 PM).
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Nature: Serious
I will keep playing until it bores me. Who knows when that'll be. It might be when there is too many to get on one game. I am thrilled that I was able to complete the dex in this generation. havent done that since Gen 1.
Old November 6th, 2012 (08:44 PM).
Iceman3317
Kalos Explorer!

Nature: Quiet
When pokemon is over. That is when I will stop. The games are fun to play.
Old November 6th, 2012 (09:16 PM).
Hannah
exceptionally ordinary
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I'm not exactly planning on quitting Pokemon, but imo Pokemon's going downhill every season. It's not much fun as it is before. I'll probably stick around and see what happens, but there's a 50-50 chance I might quit.

i ii iii iv
you're just as
sane as i am

Old November 7th, 2012 (04:18 AM).
infersaime
Come and get me

Send a message via Skype™ to infersaime
I don't know whenj I stop playing it, it might be in 5 years or maybe in 20 years. It all depends on how Nintendo is going to treat the series.
Old November 7th, 2012 (04:26 AM).
PixelG
I won't bite! xD

I don't know, I can't leave P'mon away... xD
Maybe 'til dead or sometime...
Old November 7th, 2012 (08:02 AM).
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
I'm not quite sure when I quit. I guess when I just do. I seem to go on a trend in which I'm really into Pokemon for a while and then it goes downhill and eventually springs back up later on.
Old November 7th, 2012 (08:05 AM).
Icy Burn
Beginner Breeder | Kyurem W <3

I'll probably stop playing when something like Jagex or something takes it over and makes it into the next Runescape, for the DS.
Old November 7th, 2012 (09:34 AM).
DLMuerte
Knight of Time

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Skype™ to DLMuerte
The nurse will say "he's dead!"
My wife will say "he didn't save!"
My grandchildren will say "he never completed the PokeDex!"

In all seriousness, I don't see myself ever stopping. When I've played 'em all (even the spinoffs) , and also replayed 'em all, I'll start playing fan-made games.

HOMESTUCK

Beta Kids Collab: Dave

rp corner lurker

activity levels: existent

now doing nanowrimo

Homestuck Fanclub

Old November 7th, 2012 (12:14 PM).
vudw
Nocturnal Insomnia

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to vudw
Going off one of the first like posts I saw, I'd relate to this.

But also, it goes to say that you would quit something when you lose your joy and entertainment value of something. Pokemon will always sort of be a part of my life, but as for the games, I suppose I would stop playing them when so much of everything becomes well known or common knowledge. It was fun learning about things in the game, or feeling accomplished. It really is a solo experience in regards to that for many people. After that, being able to enjoy your time with other people and socialize with it becomes important. At least, this is for me. I'm sure some others can relate here or there. I don't like being so repetitive with some things. x3

I'm not sure where the line will cross and I'll stop, but I know once the new or rewarding experiences stop, so will my interest in the games.
This may also be why I tend to just buy the newer games, and not really remakes or continuations unless I don't have them anymore or really have good hopes for them. I really like double battles though, as it's more innovative and has more flexible strategy options, so Colosseum and Gale of Darkness I still want to play and beat. Pokemon is a role-playing game after all.

Let's face it though, some people, including me, are just fans for life. Or a really long time at least.
Old November 7th, 2012 (01:06 PM).
IceGod64
My imagination.

Nature: Naive
Why would I quit Pokémon? What insane notion is this!?

Old November 7th, 2012 (01:53 PM).
Spinosaurus

I'll be the first post to say I already did. Exactly when I turned 15.

It's not a matter of believing that I've outgrown it or not. (Though more and more I realize the games feel far too childish for my own good.) I did try and play Heart Gold last June for whatever reason, but I couldn't keep at it after 3 days or so. The Pokemon games are painfully bland, and since I've played a wide variety of others games I couldn't help but feel that they're too mediocre for me. Collect-a-thons aren't my thing, and there are superior RPGs out there so there is absolutely no reason for me to play them. And I don't have the time either, because between school and boxing I'd rather play something else that I'd enjoy more in my free time. My old love for the series is gone, and I doubt I'll ever get it back, because Pokemon's juice has already ran out for me, and B/W left an extremely bad taste in my mouth, regardless of it trying to actually change the tired formula. (Which ended up being a bad idea.)

Also, I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to look back. So even if Pokemon was a big part of my childhood, I wouldn't let that stop me from doing better things. (Basically, nostalgia doesn't have an effect on me.)
Old November 8th, 2012 (10:24 AM).
chella182
Drowzee

Nature: Rash
I will play until I stop enjoying the games. Simple as that. And even then, I'll still play the older games.

Old November 8th, 2012 (12:10 PM).
Valvatorez
Prinny Instructor

Nature: Calm
I'll stop playing when I'm bored, or when another franchise is released that does everything that Pokemon does and does it better. I'm surprised I'm not bored of the franchise yet to be honest, when each game is essentially the same formula wrapped up in a slightly different package. I'm also surprised that no other developer has been able to devise a better kind of monster catching game; Pokemon pretty much holds the monopoly on that type of game, at least for me. As far as RPGs go, the games are massively outclassed by others I could name, but as far as the whole monster catching mechanic goes, they're without peer.

I don't think there is a set age for this and, even if I skip a generation (as I nearly did with the fifth) I think I'll probably still give later games a look-in and pick them up if I like the look of them. There is a high probability I'll keep going until either the franchise dies or I do; whichever comes first. Who knows what the future holds? At the moment, I have no pressing urge to stop playing these games.
Old November 8th, 2012 (02:06 PM).
Mr Cat Dog
It takes a lot to make a stew

I quit playing Pokemon when I was about 15. I told myself that I'd grown out of it, that I'd done everything I could in Gens I-III, and the prospect of games being remade made me feel a little disappointed. 'Why remake old games instead of coming up with new ones?' was my thought process at the time. That, coupled with an intense dislike for the fandom, meant it was relatively easy to cut Pokemon completely out of my life. And because I wasn't coming to PC, I never felt the need to check in on Diamond and Pearl, so those games completely skipped my radar until Lucario appeared in Super Smash Bros Brawl!

I only came back to Pokemon after my room-mate at university said he was going to get one of either Black or White. It turns out he didn't (and still hasn't!) but that sort of resparked my interest, and while I wouldn't say my love of Pokemon came flooding back. My desire to return to this place did. After buying Black, slowly but surely, all the good memories I had of playing the games started to return.

I don't think I'm as big a fan of the games now as I was when I was 10-or-so. But I do like them for what they are. I'll inevitably buy the next generation of games when they come out, but probably not as soon as they're released or anything. Life goes on, and preferences do change, like it or not. But I don't know when I'm going to quit. Haven't got a magic-8-ball for that.

Also, this is more a gaming question, so I'mma move it to PGC now.

Moving on up
Old November 9th, 2012 (04:41 PM).
Rivvon
Unburden Belly Drum
Community Supporter

Pokemon is a video game for someone of any age. It can be played for hours at a time, or in short bursts. So even as I grow older and have work to worry about I can continue to play Pokemon. If you're a dedicated Pokemon fan, there's no reason to think you'll stop--saying that is like saying "Well at age 40 I'm going to stop watching TV altogether." Maybe your interest will die down and you'll stop but you can't really predict when that will happen. Either way, for me, I highly doubt I will ever stop.
Old November 9th, 2012 (05:52 PM).
CourageHound
Trust & Courage. Nothing More

Nature: Lonely
NEIN!!...I dont really plan to stop playing the games. If they ever stop making new games i'll just play the old ones for fun. When i bored of that i'll play peoples hacks. And tbh pokemon has so much untapped potential and possibility i dont think the franchise will end anytime soon. So yea I'll nevah stop.
Old November 9th, 2012 (07:17 PM).
~RNC~
Mother Of All Pokemon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightBlade View Post
I was fairly close to quitting Pokemon. I stopped playing BW for several months now and didn't pick up BW2 on launch date. All the buzz and the posts made me want to get White 2. hmph. Although Pokemon is a huge part of my life, I believe I will be over it by age 30. Dunno why 30. My older brother plays PS3 and he's above 30. I don't know how he handles that and all his responsibilities, though.
I just had to quote this 1!! Why 30?? I'm over 30 and am still playing it and don't ever see a part in my life where I will ever stop playing or collecting any thing pokemon related!! I guess I'm in it til I am no more!!
My Thread Review ---> HERE
Old November 9th, 2012 (07:20 PM).
Nes-One
Another Person Into Pokemon

Nature: Quiet
I really don't think I'll ever stop playing as long as I have an internet connection and computer, even if they stop making physical copies of the games, there will still probably be emulators and roms around that you can download. I can see that I'll die before I think about not playing pokemon anymore.

White 2 FC: 4084 3694 5593
Old November 9th, 2012 (07:25 PM).
~RNC~
Mother Of All Pokemon!!

Can you imagine being 80 years old and playing these game with arthritis??
My Thread Review ---> HERE
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links