The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

View Poll Results: Who is the hardest Hoenn Gym Leader?
Roxanne 5 1.77%
Brawly 24 8.51%
Wattson 26 9.22%
Flannery 7 2.48%
Norman 51 18.09%
Winona 22 7.80%
Tate & Liza 128 45.39%
Wallace/Juan 19 6.74%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 19th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Pokemon_Geek
Togepi

In Emerald, those evil twins with their obviously hacked pokemon. KO'd all my pokemon except Aggron, who got really lucky to come on the Solrock and Lunatomb so worry about Earthquake and making critical hits.

Real gamers play for fun.
Old October 5th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Crux
Evermore

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Crux
Tate and Liza's entire gym practically went through holocaust when I got there.
Norman fell with ease against my Machoke. (Just a worker Pokemon my a...anyway.)
But Watson...oh the horror...no more shock waves...please...

{Never and Forever}

Tees | Coming Soon | Coming Soon
Old October 11th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Empire
Ask me what I did with my life
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Empire
Norman's was the easiest i must say, i think i had a Blaziken at the time and just kept spamming Brick Break.

Hardest definitely Tate & Liza.
Old October 12th, 2012, 09:15 PM
LividZephyr
Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks

Send a message via AIM to LividZephyr Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LividZephyr
Norman was nearly impossible in my first Sapphire run, but since I always have come prepared to take him on. Still a heck of a fight. His bigger Slaking is evil - the rest of his Pokemon not so much. I just need to have a Breloom, Machoke, or Blaziken in stock.

Tate & Liza are also REALLY REALLY hard, and are probably my current answer. They're definitely hackers, lol.
Old October 12th, 2012, 10:00 PM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

Nature: Brave
I always found Norman to be quite a challenge as well as Tate and Liza. I never could surpass Norman's Slaking's power and it really irritated me when it would usually one hit KO me. ):
Old October 13th, 2012, 02:29 AM
gunnerpow7
☆ キレイハナ Kireihana ☆
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Flannery... No doubt... I never had troubles with Norman but I did had some troubles with Tate and Liza... lool

PokéCommunity Supporter Collab

gunnerpow7

☆ paired with MidnightShine, Twihiki_Amias, PachyfcgPC Showdown ☆ Lady Gunner ☆ defunct account ☆
Old October 13th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Thursday
Now In Blue
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
In the older days of Sapphire, I used to dread Wattson because I would always have a Grovyle. I remember a particularly horrible experience when I had a Grovyle, Crobat (it evolved 2 levels after Golbat :D), Pelipper, Beautifly, and Aron. It was that day that I sweared revenge against Wattson But I found out about Tate & Liz.... Even with type advantage, I somehow lost at least 6 times...

Username:
Thursday
Friend Safari:
Dark

Friend Code:
1006-0591-1577

Old October 15th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Alex
with a serene grace
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
I'd definitely say Tate and Liza. I had enormous trouble on my first run so many years ago with a level 65 Sceptile and a level 40 Mightyena even. But back then I didn't even know about type advantages, and 4 of my 6 Pokemon were all like level 15 (I was lazy -_-)
Old October 15th, 2012, 09:00 AM
RoreyG
Lizardon Man

Nature: Adamant
None, really. Mudkip- Marshtomp- Swampert essentially took care of all of the gyms up to Wallace/ Juan and even then, Shiftry took care of that. If I had to choose though, I guess Norman and his Slaking posed the most challenge to me.

Old October 24th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Mochi

Tate & Liza have always been my most hated gym leaders because of their freaking Lunatone and Solrock.

Normal is a close second though with his Slaking.

Old October 24th, 2012, 06:00 PM
#isthenumbersign

Watson's really good for some reason. He's got all those Super Potions and Static Pokemon too. :(
Old November 3rd, 2012, 11:21 PM
True Honey
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Calm
Particularly, Norman as well as Tate and Lisa gave me a really hard time in my first play through as their Pokemon to me were extremely hard to beat. Though, this was also the first time I had ever played through a Pokemon game so, that may have also played a factor, but Lunatone and Solrock were a hard duo to beat.

Avatar & Signature: The Little Flying Jumpluff by ~ alright123100 (deviantART)
Old November 4th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Cyndafan
The Danish Trainer

Send a message via Skype™ to Cyndafan
winona or the twins in emerald

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Iceman3317
Kalos Explorer!

Nature: Quiet
I am gonna have to say Norman. When I played RSE I did not really pay attention the weaknesses. Now,I don't think I would have that big of a problem. But it has been forever sense I played RSE.
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Correspondence

Liza & Tate weren't so hard for me.A couple of Surfs and its over.The most trouble i had is with Wallace because i didn't have a good type advantage against him.
Old November 9th, 2012, 02:09 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
I don't remember who I have the hardest time with on Ruby. My bets would have to go with Norman because back then my teams never had a Fighting type nor a Fighting move. But on my Emerald I would have to say Juan because Kingdra and being quite under leveled. Also Girafarig being the one with a Thunderbolt move ye-up. Not sure if I had my vileplume by then either.
Old November 9th, 2012, 05:51 AM
pikakitten
You met with a terrible fate

Nature: Naughty
Mine was for some odd reason Tate and Liza. During my first time playing but I was like 8 or 9 and it was my first pokemon game so yeah. In my replay it was Norman but I only failed 2 or 3 times.

~Sincerely
PikakittenX, devout member of the Pokecommunity
Old November 9th, 2012, 09:47 AM
ArcanaFlaera
Guard of the Generation

Nature: Relaxed
Tate and Liza are always a pain for me whenever I got up against them. The only reason I get to beat them is critical hits with a Surf.
White 2 FC : 4299 0937 8549
Old November 9th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Azure Rathalδs
Community Supporter

Of all the regions, Hoenn has by far the hardest gym fights. But the hardest is, fittingly, Juan. His team is filled with attack based Pokemon. His Kingdra is insane too, and loves to spam double team.

(Am I the only one who thought that Tate & Liza weren't that hard?)
Old November 9th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Lord_Storm
Deathly Inferno

Tate & Liza were never easy for me, because all of my teams consisted of Blaziken and Swellow, who sucked in the gym, and I usually had some poison type, which always left me to have to try beat them with mainly my water type.
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Flydro
doobz

Nature: Calm
Norman was the hardest for me because only my Swampert could take or do any real amount of damage, it's not easy being prepared for two Slakings at that early stage of the game. I found the other Gym Leaders to be pretty straight forward and easy though..

*hunting:

Old November 18th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Doppelgänger
Community Supporter

Tate and Liza took forever for me. I had nothing strong against psychic types at the time, and double battle format did not work in my favor :l
Old November 19th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Lifesolstice
Magikarp Tail

For me, it was definitely Tate & Liza.
Heonn back then was my favorite ruby and still is. (I WANT A REMAKE xP)
I had a copy of Emerald and Sapphire. In my sapphire I start with a Torchic which of course ended up as a Blaziken. Since Tate & Liza had a Lunatone and Solrock, it was a real pain trying to beat them. Especially since the Defense, Speed, and Special Defense for both Lunatone and Solrock is freaking annoying it was incredibly hard for a Fire-Type. Immediately I thought of the DynamicPunch but, they're stupid PSYCHIC/Rock-types so that made it not too effective. Thus, I had to mainly depend on my Ludicolo and his "Surf".

(NOTE: This was a little while back slightly before GameStop stopped selling anything that had to do with GameBoys)
In Emerald though, it was much easier because I had found out about "Soft Resetting" and I really didn't want to start my Sapphire over and I really wanted an Emerald version so I thought, "What the hell, let's buy an Emerald copy!" So I bought a copy and did about 3,500 soft resets. I had been taking tallies on a piece of paper with me, but I gave up slightly after 3,500 so I did it a couple dozen more times and I accidentally clicked Mudkip, I yelped: "Crap!" but then I had a huge spaz attack because it was a shiny one, so of course I kept it. When I got to Tate & Liza it was an easy win for Ludicolo and Swampert.
Old November 19th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Seraphimon-sama

The only one that I found to be difficult, to be honest, was Brawly. Mainly because of that Makuhita of his with Reversal and the Sitrus Berry.
I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.

Sprite made by DD's Sprite Shop~!

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Old November 21st, 2012, 09:26 AM
~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
Buffalo State College

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to ~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
I actually did not have any problems with any of the Hoenn gym leaders in any of my Pokemon games. I believe that the hardest gym leader depends on how you create your Pokemon team; thats the best way I can explain it.

TG

Friend Code: 3136-6961-3807 Friend Safari:Steel: Metang, Magneton and Klefi
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links