The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 7th, 2012 (06:52 AM).
MIAU
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I chose Samurott for my W2 run, and I'll admit I haven't used her much, but I still trained her and kept her in my team as my water-type. There were always better Pokemon to use against gym leaders and the E4 and other important battles, I guess. Thing is, she ended up beating Iris almost by herself, so she is definitely staying for the Water-type Champ medal, and afterwards probably as an HM slave surf/waterfall/dive user.
Old November 7th, 2012 (07:24 PM).
Iceman3317
Kalos Explorer!

Though I like Tepig. I don't like his evos. Snivy and Oshawotts lines I like. But I uselly end up just using Charizard/Empoleon sense those 2 are still my favs. Blaziken being a close 2nd.
Old November 8th, 2012 (11:30 AM).
tbot1990
Unhatched Egg

Yeah, I droped my snivy instantly for purloin. Now I use ponyta as my main. Its not that I was unimpressed with the starters but I always use them straight through. I thought it would be more fun to use something different.
Old November 9th, 2012 (09:41 PM).
SoulSilver10112
George the Poliwag

I started with Tepig in White, and Oshawott in Black, so for Black 2, I thought to myself "Why not pick Snivy?" I didn't like his move set, so I traded in a Charizard after the first gym, and let Snivy stay in the box.

Challenges:
Heartgold Nuzlocke: Completed!
Pearl Nuzlocke: Completed!
Heartgold Gender Discrimination Challenge: Completed!
Old November 10th, 2012 (07:27 AM).
Unhatched Egg

kinda i tradewd my lv5 tipig for an embore
(tipig = black2) (embore=white1)

made bye me...
Old November 10th, 2012 (08:00 AM).
FrostPheonix
Eternity.

I've never ditched my starter before i finish the game, so I haven't for this game either. And I personally found Samurott to be extremely useful. This time I'll use Emboar, so dunno yet tho.
Old November 10th, 2012 (05:05 PM). Edited November 10th, 2012 by B99B12.
B99B12
Unhatched Egg

It's easy to ditch starters in B2/W2 because there are so many better replacements.

Volcarona can be used to replace emboar. (Keep in mind it has bad moves at the beginning but great moves once it levels more).

Jellicent can replace Samurott (good moves such as shadow ball and surf and also great sp. defence. bad side is that frillish is crap. But has two great abilities like cursed body for any electric moves and water absorb for easy healing).

Ferrothorn or Lilligant to replace Serperior (Ferrothorn and rocky helmet for any physical attackers also doesn't have a bad moveset like power whip and iron head. Lilligant can have quiver dance and HP stealing moves like giga drain)

If I had the choice to choose a starter from previous gens, it would have to be squirtle. Not only is he my favourite pokemon, but Blastoise is bulky and can pack a punch.

All in all, you have to change up pokemon and find their strengths to really find what ones work for you.
Old November 10th, 2012 (06:39 PM).
GolurkIsDaBomb
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.

Nature: Lonely
I ditched my Pignite just a bit before Elesa. As much as I like the Pignite family, I like using new/different pokemon much more. Sorry Ginevra, my faithful Pignite :(
Old November 10th, 2012 (09:25 PM).
BLOOOD-La-ti-
This is the place to try!

Nature: Jolly
At first I ditch my starter to the Box.
Then when there are enough pokemon seen in the pokedex.
I trade them to get the pokemon i want.

I don't ditch 1st and 3rd starters.
I ditch the 4th and 5th gen starters

oh check this out:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=373174
My new account. :3
Old November 10th, 2012 (10:01 PM).
wolf51
Unhatched Egg

I got Genesect from the mystery gift then used him instead of Serperior untill the 5th gym. Now i use him instead as my main.
Old November 11th, 2012 (07:13 PM).
crimsonskarmory
Alchemist

Nature: Modest
I chose Tepig and stuck with it all the way through the 8 gyms. But after the last gym i just didn't feel like leveling him up because he wouldn't have been much help in the elite four.
Old November 11th, 2012 (10:46 PM).
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
In my B2, I chose Snivy as my starter and used it the whole time in my team. I started off really bad, but by the end, it wasn't too bad. In my W2, I chose Tepig and it's currently not doing too badly.
Old November 12th, 2012 (01:14 AM).
Morkula
Play the Game

I used Samurott in my Black 2 run (used it in B/W as well) and was really underwhelmed, as I have been with all the Unova starters. I've never ditched a starter in all the times I've played/replayed a Pokemon game, but when I eventually play White 2, I'm thinking seriously about doing so. There are just so many better options out there.

paired with cherrim ~ big brother of patchisou yutohru
4p games ~ 4p forums ~ backloggery ~ twitter
Old November 12th, 2012 (12:11 PM).
Bolanboy
ǝpısdn uʍop

Nature: Hardy
Send a message via AIM to Bolanboy Send a message via Skype™ to Bolanboy
I ditched my Samurott after the Elite Four and now pretty much switch around between Sceptile and Venusaur. I just don't care for gen 4 or 5's starters that much, especially the final evolutions.

Old November 12th, 2012 (02:25 PM).
Pvt Tamama
Chii!

Nature: Calm
i ditched my snivy right off the bat after beating the virbrank gym and traded over my bulbasuor from white 1 and i beat all the gyms easily even though grass types are pretty much crap in all the gyms but the last one
Old November 12th, 2012 (05:19 PM).
SuperKirbyFan
Weedle trainer

Until Black 2 I hadn't ever ditched my starter, I don't like the idea of it. Problem is, my Servine sucked SO much. My team for a while was Servine, Trapinch, and Magnemite. Servine had about 41 Special Attack with only a grass move for a damaging attack. Magnemite had almost twice that, with three types of moves, and Trapinch had almost as much as Magnemite, also with 3 types of moves. I told myself I'd catch the next viable grass guy I came across, but I couldn't find anyone I liked until way too late in the game.
Old November 12th, 2012 (06:48 PM).
Giovanni Boss
Team Rocket's Head

Now that I've finished the game, I will restart with some eggs, so I'll ditch them again. Guess they are really ditchable. Samurott is probably the best one since water types are good. Darmanitan/Volcarona outclasses Emboar quite easily, with early access to the monkey-ball-thing. Simisear is quite better as a mixed sweeper in-game thanks to higher speed. Virizion outclasses Serperior, though if you don't like using legends, like me, you might use Ferrothorn or Simisage. If you want to go special there's Roserade, my favorite pokémon, pretty destructive in story mode.
Even Samurott is easily replaced for something better, though later than the others, if you do not want using a Simipour.
Well, guess it's all I have to tell.
Old November 13th, 2012 (07:16 AM).
dragonnathan025
Pokemon Breeder

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to dragonnathan025
They seriously need to release the DW starters to North America, it would increase their usage so much.

Contrary Snivy is busted, because of Leaf Storm (increase Sp. Atk. by two stages every time it's used), and Blaziken would be commonly used, too.

Make it like an event where you're offered one DW starter, your choice which one, and a lot of people will be happy.

Friend Safari type:
Water
Pokemon:
Bibarel
Gyarados
Frogadier
Old November 13th, 2012 (11:02 AM).
Patchisou Yutohru
falling down
Community Supporter

I moved over my main White team to White 2, and my main White team didn't have my starter in it. So yes, I ditched my starter.
Old November 15th, 2012 (05:18 AM).
stranger

I wanted to from the beginning because I never liked the Unova starters. I have Samurott but I reckon I'll swap it out for another more powerful water type since currently it sort of limits my party. I always feel bad doing it though, it tends to break the immersion you get during game when you get your first Pokémon.

surrounded by sweet easing pressure
no room for thoughts, but time for adventure
Old November 15th, 2012 (05:21 AM).
dunnjean
The Most Awesome Of Them All

Nature: Bold
Now I really want B2W2 T-T
In Black I used an Oshawott. I didn't ditch it because she was pretty useful in most of the gyms.
Old November 15th, 2012 (06:32 AM).
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
No, I didn't ditch my starter because only nasty people from Hell who don't understand that Pokemon is about love and friendship ditch their starters!

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old November 15th, 2012 (09:13 AM).
BrainWave
A new idea sprouts

^ Same, especially when it's the very first, and it's given to you!
Old November 19th, 2012 (07:00 AM).
empty streets
Ace trainer ★

Nature: Brave
I ditch my starter because the gen V starters are the only ones I don't like even one bit. The reason is their design. Gen ll starters 4ever <3.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links