The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Emulation & ROM Hacking > Hacks Showcase > Progressing Hacks

Notices

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

View Poll Results: Regarding graphics...
Go back to FireRed style with a few changes (Speeds up production) 29 33.72%
Stick with current graphics (Slows down production by a LOT) 35 40.70%
Different graphics (Specify in a post) 5 5.81%
Don't bother returning to ROM hacking and do something productive in life 9 10.47%
Just rip tiles from some other hack 8 9.30%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 31st, 2012, 03:02 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Dragon View Post
If there is one thing that you change, get rid of the Poison status effect, BECAUSE IM REALLY GETTING ANGRY WITH WEAK NOOBISH POKEMON MAKING ME BY HUNDREDS OF ANTIDOTES AND RUNNING BACK TO THE NEAREST POKECENTER!
Thanks...

Sorry, I just had a moment. Poison is really... frustrating. Anyway, the hack looks amazing! Love tiles and storyline. Hope is gets released.
I think you might be a bit used to playing generation 5 such as Black/White/Black 2/White 2.

In order to do something like this... would require knowledge of the assembly (ASM) programming language in order to remove something from the ARM binary code in the GBA ROM. So unless someone knows about doing something like this... then there's nothing that can be done. D:

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Crimson5M
Please call me Crimson

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Dragon View Post
If there is one thing that you change, get rid of the Poison status effect, BECAUSE IM REALLY GETTING ANGRY WITH WEAK NOOBISH POKEMON MAKING ME BY HUNDREDS OF ANTIDOTES AND RUNNING BACK TO THE NEAREST POKECENTER!
Thanks...

Sorry, I just had a moment. Poison is really... frustrating. Anyway, the hack looks amazing! Love tiles and storyline. Hope is gets released.
Poison will be staying because this hack is meant to have at least some sort of difficulty.

Anyway I am adding a poll that is quite important. Please have a look and vote if you care.

Because it should've won HotY.
Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
Old November 8th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!

Well to be honest, I really like seeing different tiles in a ROM Hack, 'cause that's what brings the charm about the design. Like how Game Freak changes the textures whenever it makes a new Pokémon game. So I really do think Pokémon Ceil really should keep it's tile designs, 'cause I really do actually like them more than the generic FireRed/LeafGreen (I know I'm out-voted on this for now). But that's just my opinion.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old November 8th, 2012, 03:48 PM
RyeGuyXD
Pokemon Master Extraordinaire

Location: I think.. I live with the creepy Teddy Bear in your closet..
Nature: Lax
Send a message via Skype™ to RyeGuyXD
I think the main trainer should be different Like make his hat Black and his shirt white. To resemble the new games Black and White. It might sound stupid but I think it'll look good. And I think before you get your starters the evil team steals them so you must search the town to get them back by talking to the specific member with the starter you want. Sorta like a mini Quest.

EDIT:Can we also get a beta soon? If not when can we expect one?

Last edited by RyeGuyXD; November 8th, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old November 8th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Crimson5M
Please call me Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeGuyXD View Post
I think the main trainer should be different Like make his hat Black and his shirt white. To resemble the new games Black and White. It might sound stupid but I think it'll look good. And I think before you get your starters the evil team steals them so you must search the town to get them back by talking to the specific member with the starter you want. Sorta like a mini Quest.

EDIT:Can we also get a beta soon? If not when can we expect one?
That's a great idea! You should totally make a hack like that :)

The beta depends on the poll. If I'm sticking with FR tiles? Probably sometime next Spring. Current graphics? Next Winter.

Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
Old November 8th, 2012, 04:58 PM
RyeGuyXD

wait NEXT winter. or NEXT spring. Geez thats a long time... I was expecting something like Christmas or soemthing. Would the beta be to the first gym..

[I don't know how to script or make tiles so really I suck at hacking]
Old November 9th, 2012, 07:22 AM
M.L
Busy atm

These tiles are fine! You know if you like it then stick with it their are hundreds of hacks with horrible graphics that are played just because it's a new hack! Yours has great graphics i dont see much of the story line but the scripts seem fine.! You quit on this and ill come dunk your head in the toilet
Old November 9th, 2012, 09:02 AM
No-san
Unhatched Egg

Aw, I don't like to intervene but seeing the latest posts about your poll, I have to (though I do respect everyone's opinion).

Fireworks, why changing the graphics ? Is it because you want to give us a beta as soon as possible ? Or is it because it's soooo time consuming that you fear you might end up giving up ?
If it's the former, keep your new graphics, we're used to waiting when it comes to hacks.
If it's the latter, just go back to FR tiles. Who cares about graphics ? I do like your custom tiles very much, but people enjoy good plot and good gameplay a LOT more. People don't buy games, DVDs or whatever for the cover. If the game looks good but is boring to death and unoriginal, then it's just time wasted for everyone (mostly your time).
Old November 9th, 2012, 01:39 PM
RyeGuyXD

Actully... Alot of people buy a game JUST by looking at the cover. Like the NES days there were no reviews or anything. Mario is basically the thing. So back then you picked a game by the cover and back description.

Or Fireworks.. You could change the graphics now then in the last beta make it new graphics.
Old November 9th, 2012, 03:19 PM
iamjagman
Unhatched Egg

Can't wait till this is released! I really love pokemon hacks and this one looks better than any I've ever seen.

I assume you took the video down because it was extremely out of date? Just wondering, because I was hoping to see some gameplay footage and was sorta disappointed when I realized the video was down.
Old November 9th, 2012, 08:41 PM
kebbles
Rom Hacker.

Nature: Brave
Glad to see you have returned to rom hacking, fireworks
In my opinion I wouldn't change a thing, the tiles are nice and so are the battle backgrounds.
But you said if you go with fire red tiles it will speed up progress, does that mean you have lost all the data to the original ceil? In that case you better off just using fire red tiles and inserting a few matching tiles to change things up a little cause really the original fire red tiles by themself are just boring, we have seen them so many times. Anyway good luck and get some fresh details into the first post

When the world is in its final moments..
Where will you be?
Old November 10th, 2012, 10:59 AM
RyeGuyXD

This game is gonna be so epic! But could you release a NEW video trailer you could send me some footage and I could put it together for a trailer.
Old November 10th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Crimson5M
Please call me Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireworks View Post
That's a great idea! You should totally make a hack like that :)

The beta depends on the poll. If I'm sticking with FR tiles? Probably sometime next Spring. Current graphics? Next Winter.
Why did I quote myself

Quote:
wait NEXT winter. or NEXT spring. Geez thats a long time... I was expecting something like Christmas or soemthing. Would the beta be to the first gym..

[I don't know how to script or make tiles so really I suck at hacking]
I'm busy with college and I'm really bored with hacking and trying to get back into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.L View Post
These tiles are fine! You know if you like it then stick with it their are hundreds of hacks with horrible graphics that are played just because it's a new hack! Yours has great graphics i dont see much of the story line but the scripts seem fine.! You quit on this and ill come dunk your head in the toilet :)
Yes they look fine...but do I have the TIME?

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-san View Post
Aw, I don't like to intervene but seeing the latest posts about your poll, I have to (though I do respect everyone's opinion).

Fireworks, why changing the graphics ? Is it because you want to give us a beta as soon as possible ? Or is it because it's soooo time consuming that you fear you might end up giving up ?
If it's the former, keep your new graphics, we're used to waiting when it comes to hacks.
If it's the latter, just go back to FR tiles. Who cares about graphics ? I do like your custom tiles very much, but people enjoy good plot and good gameplay a LOT more. People don't buy games, DVDs or whatever for the cover. If the game looks good but is boring to death and unoriginal, then it's just time wasted for everyone (mostly your time).
The latter. The tiles and stuff that I'm using I got from someone else and he no longer makes tiles. I'd have to make a bunch more tiles, tons of overworlds, battle backgrounds (which I've never tried), sprites...

Quote:
Actully... Alot of people buy a game JUST by looking at the cover. Like the NES days there were no reviews or anything. Mario is basically the thing. So back then you picked a game by the cover and back description.

Or Fireworks.. You could change the graphics now then in the last beta make it new graphics.
Hmm maybe. Like I said it'd take a lot of time but if new tiles are the only things people care about they'll get new tiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjagman View Post
Can't wait till this is released! I really love pokemon hacks and this one looks better than any I've ever seen.

I assume you took the video down because it was extremely out of date? Just wondering, because I was hoping to see some gameplay footage and was sorta disappointed when I realized the video was down.
I'd recommend waiting, you'll have a long one though...
Video was removed because I made a new channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebbles View Post
Glad to see you have returned to rom hacking, fireworks :)
In my opinion I wouldn't change a thing, the tiles are nice and so are the battle backgrounds.
But you said if you go with fire red tiles it will speed up progress, does that mean you have lost all the data to the original ceil? In that case you better off just using fire red tiles and inserting a few matching tiles to change things up a little cause really the original fire red tiles by themself are just boring, we have seen them so many times. Anyway good luck and get some fresh details into the first post :)
No, I still have it.

Quote:
This game is gonna be so epic! But could you release a NEW video trailer you could send me some footage and I could put it together for a trailer.
All of your posts have been in my thread.
There wasn't an OLD trailer and there's nothing to make a trailer of.

Messed up with poll but it ends Monday.

Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
Old November 10th, 2012, 10:06 PM
RyeGuyXD

Well... I ment game footage
Old November 11th, 2012, 03:50 AM
No-san
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
I'm busy with college and I'm really bored with hacking and trying to get back into it.

Yes they look fine...but do I have the TIME?

The latter. The tiles and stuff that I'm using I got from someone else and he no longer makes tiles. I'd have to make a bunch more tiles, tons of overworlds, battle backgrounds (which I've never tried), sprites...
I vote "Go back to FR style with a few changes." ROM hacking must remain a pleasure, not a duty. And before I'm misunderstood, I'm not suggesting you to give up on your hack, I'm just telling you to focus on what really matters : gameplay and storyline. These are the main reasons that make people create hacks to begin with, aren't they ?

So, unless you find ready-to-use tiles that you like, don't bother with that. It'd be a loss because the screens look good but, oh well. You can still keep the (awesome) battle backgrounds, add a few overworlds to fit with your storyline, simple stuff like that.
Plus, I guess you can keep the FR style for now, and when the hack is done, change the graphics if you feel like it.

As an ending note, allow me to quote the opening post :
Quote:
New tiles but fun gameplay
Old November 11th, 2012, 12:23 PM
RyeGuyXD

well... I'd only play this if the graphics are good... for me games are better with gorgeous graphics..
Old November 11th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Crimson5M
Please call me Crimson

Quote:
well... I'd only play this if the graphics are good... for me games are better with gorgeous graphics..
Then I'd recommend you stop playing Pokémon.

This is EXACTLY what is wrong with the community and why crap like Flora Sky is being drooled over and hacks that are actually good get ignored, and one of the reasons I quit hacking before...

Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
Old November 11th, 2012, 12:44 PM
lizzzz
I want to be the very best!

Nature: Relaxed
Don't be discouraged! A good hack for me has an inventive storyline and thoughtful scripting! I'm looking forward to your work
Old November 11th, 2012, 05:36 PM
kebbles
Rom Hacker.

Quote:
Then I'd recommend you stop playing Pokémon.

This is EXACTLY what is wrong with the community and why crap like Flora Sky is being drooled over and hacks that are actually good get ignored, and one of the reasons I quit hacking before...
Lol everyone is different and we all come here to play the hacks that intrest us.
So what that someone only cares about graphics, obviously they like to play games with good graphics.
Thats one of the reasons why u quit? Jeez you mustnt of been very passionate then because it doesnt matter, if you enjoy hacking then small things like that shouldnt phase you, or if u think the community has a problem then why start a new hack on here again?
The good games dont get ignored, virtually every hack posted on here has at least 5 fans so i dont really see where your coming from fireworks.

Where will you be?
Old November 11th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Crimson5M
Please call me Crimson

Quote:
Lol everyone is different
You're right. Some people are incredibly stupid.

ANYWAY, poll results!

Most people wanted me to go back to FireRed graphics!

...But I'm going to do what I want, and stick with the current graphics!
Update coming next week since I'm too busy to hack this week :)

Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
Old November 11th, 2012, 06:12 PM
PokemonMasters
Always Remember Forever&After

Quote:

ANYWAY, poll results!

Most people wanted me to go back to FireRed graphics!

...But I'm going to do what I want, and stick with the current graphics!
Update coming next week since I'm too busy to hack this week
Actually, you cant blame them If they don't want to play a game with awesome graphics. The Pokemon Games now have cool graphics. Btw, I don't get how sticking with the current graphics slows production unless you lost the ROM.. and what for to post the poll if in the end you choose what you want? :p

+ForeverDash on PC's Battle Server | Pair | VM/PM |Partner In Crime
Old November 11th, 2012, 08:55 PM
kebbles
Rom Hacker.

Quote:
Yes, yes they are..
Will there be any asm routines?

Where will you be?
Old November 11th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Crimson5M
Please call me Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonMasters View Post
Actually, you cant blame them If they don't want to play a game with awesome graphics. The Pokemon Games now have cool graphics. Btw, I don't get how sticking with the current graphics slows production unless you lost the ROM.. and what for to post the poll if in the end you choose what you want? :p
I've explained this already. Please read previous posts.

Quote:
Yes, yes they are..
Will there be any asm routines?
No asm but there might be some ASM.

Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
Old November 14th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Crimson5M
Please call me Crimson

I hate when posts get deleted before I can read them :(

Anyway...

UPDATE!
It has been a long, long time since I've posted with that fancy update text...but here is an update!
...Kinda!?
I re-uploaded the video :)

Also if anyone knows of a good Regigigas pixel art suitable for a title screen let me know asap please :)

Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
Old November 14th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Shinx
it's a mad world

Do you plan on fixing the Battle Background animation at some point?

Sponsored Links