The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials

Notices

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Closed Thread

Old November 7th, 2012 (04:02 PM).
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL . View Post
The TM/HM file isn't the same that I send you?

How/Why you made the pokemon G5.txt if there are already some?
It wasn't difficult to knock up a new version of tm.txt. At least one version I'd seen had a few errors, so I thought I'd just get the information directly from the Interweb to be sure it was correct. As for pokemon.txt, I've had that for a while, and I adapted it from another existing version (it may have been yours, I don't remember) to remove any errors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceGod64 View Post
My first guess is the two Gen V Pokémon that are revivable.

Second thing I notice is this textbox:
"\bHowever, what I brought back didn't live long...\1
fortunately."

Thought that only seems to happen if he's reviving an invalid choice, looking at the code.
The inclusion of the Gen 5 Pokémon is just to make it future-proof. It wasn't an Easter egg.

The failure message is one, though. Ordinarily you'd never see it (actually, you can if you give a Gen 5 fossil without having Gen 5 Pokémon defined in pokemon.txt), but it's there for completeness. The message is a reference to Star Trek The Motion Picture, where a similar line is said of a crewman who suffered from a transporter malfunction.

The other Easter egg is the sign outside the lab. What's the reference there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokefan41 View Post
Thank you so much. You have just made it possible for me to make my own game the way i want with the new tilesets. I cannot say thank you enough. thank you so much.

One question, do we have permission to use your maps in our games?
You can if you like. I made all the maps myself (obviously some are inspired by the official games), so credit is appreciated.
Old November 10th, 2012 (02:02 PM).
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
It wasn't difficult to knock up a new version of tm.txt. At least one version I'd seen had a few errors, so I thought I'd just get the information directly from the Interweb to be sure it was correct. As for pokemon.txt, I've had that for a while, and I adapted it from another existing version (it may have been yours, I don't remember) to remove any errors.
How do you make the tm.txt? I noticed also that you put the B2W2 moves on pokemon.txt, how you do it?

I'm talking about it because I want to help you to find easier/faster ways for ripping pokémon data/resources, like using sprite resource for rips.
Old November 13th, 2012 (06:44 AM).
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

First I found a list of all the moves I wanted to add, and then went to each move's page on Bulbapedia. I copied the table of Pokémon which learn the move by TM/HM/tutor into Notepad, imported it into Excel and copied the Pokémon column back into Notepad. From there I copied it into Word where I made everything upper-case (Shift+F3), replaced all the line breaks with commas, and copied the result into tm.txt.

It does seem a bit of a chore, but it's fairly mindless so I could listen to the radio at the same time.

As for updating pokemon.txt, I looked through each species on PokemonDB quite quickly to find any species which had a separate movelist for B2W2 (this was easier than looking at Bulbapedia), and just updated them manually.
Old November 15th, 2012 (04:35 AM).
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
First I found a list of all the moves I wanted to add, and then went to each move's page on Bulbapedia. I copied the table of Pokémon which learn the move by TM/HM/tutor into Notepad, imported it into Excel and copied the Pokémon column back into Notepad. From there I copied it into Word where I made everything upper-case (Shift+F3), replaced all the line breaks with commas, and copied the result into tm.txt.

It does seem a bit of a chore, but it's fairly mindless so I could listen to the radio at the same time.

As for updating pokemon.txt, I looked through each species on PokemonDB quite quickly to find any species which had a separate movelist for B2W2 (this was easier than looking at Bulbapedia), and just updated them manually.
This is VERY similar to my method, some parts are even identicals.

I has thought that you use also an IO function to merge data when the game compiles.

I didn't noticed that B2W2 have a low number of species with different movelist.

Sponsored Links