• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The Official Wii-U Discussion Thread

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I got to try it out recently for a good two hours at a VIP event (I was lucky enough to win a Nintendo event suddenly, heh).

It seems pretty solid, tbh. That gamepad has a lot of potential and felt sturdier and lighter than I had expected. ZombiU looks fantastic too with the graphics (far superior to the Wii's) and the AI is fairly decent too, especially for what was a demo. Nintendoland looks better than the WiiPlay game the Wii had as well; the few games I tried from that were already more enjoyable and also more challenging (although on that note the main way it shines is in multiplayer games). All in all pretty impressed and certainly getting one sooner or later now.

Years
So, with the Wii-U just over a month away for everyone, who is getting excited about it?

Have you had chance to look into the games that are coming out for it? Are you still on the fence or are you 'gun-ho' about getting one?​

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
When I get the money, I'll buy one.
Mainly for LEGO city undercover, that poo looks awesome!! <3

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
The launch games don't really excite me so I'll do as with every console and just wait until there is some sort of offer or the first big Mario/Zelda game is announced. Got the GC with Mario Sunshine, DS with Mario 64 DS, Wii (this one on release) with Twilight Princess and 3DS a good amount of months later with Ocarina. So I'll wait for that. NSMBW2 isn't really a killer app in my books :\

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
I really don't know if I want one, because I'm skeptical of a tablet controller. I don't think it's intuitive to have to look down at what you're holding for stats or whatever because that distracts you from the screen. This isn't like with a DS, when you hold both screens to your face. This is something you hold below and you can't see two screens at once.

I'm not as into gaming as I once was, though, so that's also a part of it. I really don't see myself buying a new console because there haven't been many new games that I've enjoyed. Not even Skyward Sword has impressed me... am I outgrowing the direction gaming is heading in?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
So, with the Wii-U just over a month away for everyone, who is getting excited about it?

Have you had chance to look into the games that are coming out for it? Are you still on the fence or are you 'gun-ho' about getting one?​
I'm still waiting for better games and a price drop

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
It cost about the same as a PS3 and Xbox 360, and the games are going to be just as much as well. I don't forsee a price drop since its components are on the same level as Sony and Microsoft's game consoles.

*just checked Wal-Mart's online prices*

OMG LOL! That's way off XD We already have the price estimates at work and they are way lower than that.

Super Mario Bros. U Walmart Online $71.95
Super Mario Bros. U Toys R Us Online $59.99

$12 difference. So much for always low prices XD

But ya, its supposed to rival the PS3 and Xbox 360. From demos they shown, its possible that it does do that. So its worth its current price...which isn't too much higher than the Wii according to what I last saw.

Shdwj

Excuse me?
Years
  • Seen May 24, 2016
Many are skeptical towards the Wii U: and I'm not surprised. The controller is clearly unprecedented, which excites some yet worries many. To be honest, however, I am excited to try out the Wii U myself. I know that Nintendo has many new things to offer their customers, and what has been presented so far is quite interesting.

But really, who isn't afraid that this tablet will ruin the experience people have when playing multi-platform games? What I am most worried of is this controller making multi-platform games such as Call of Duty and Arkham City awkward to play. Sure, Nintendo offers Xbox-like pro controllers, but in the end that means spending more money. Nonetheless, I look forward to playing the Wii U.

Years
I thought this might be an interesting read for people who are wondering about the Wii-U ports:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/10/12/a-guide-to-wii-us-ports

Ports that this article talks about are as follows:

• Mass Effect 3
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
  • Ninja Gaiden III
  • Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
  • Darksiders II
  • FIFA Soccer 13
  • Assassin's Creed III
  • Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  • Skylanders Giants
  • Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two

Is anyone excited for this?

Years
I've already got Tekken Tag for the PS3 and while the Mushroom mode looks pretty cool, it's not enough of an incentive to get it for the Wii U. I don't really play any of the other games so no comments there.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I had a play of the Wii U this weekend, and while the controls are better than I imagined, the launch games themselves aren't massively up to scratch in comparison to the launch games of other consoles. It's definitely confirmed my suspicions that waiting is going to be the way to go when it comes to the Wii U.

EpicJackman

Ace Attorney
Years
I can't blame anyone for being skeptical. I for one am excited about it, but most of us will let things roll out before we buy it. But on their games, I think they have gotten back in business after Pokemon Black and White 2! As long as I get my Virtual Console, I'm happy.

SS01

#PoC Collab
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
1080p? About time, Nintendo. Seriously, an emulator can play your Wii games in HD, but the console can't? -.-

On topic: I won't be getting it for a variety of reasons, but mainly because of Nintendo's move to digital distribution. I live in rural Ontario with 0.50MBps Internet that's getting slower by the day, how am I supposed to get any games? :(

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
One of my relatives is getting a Wii U, So I don't need to purchase one myself. To be honest, if I was actually purchasing the Wii U, I would wait until the release of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate in march. Apart from that game - the system seller for me - I'm not interested in any of the games being released for the system, bar Rayman Legends. That game looks amazing as a follow up to my favourite game of last year.

It's nice to see Nintendo adding a few good and innovative features to their home consoles, and while the Wii wasn't my main console of 7th generation (That would be the PS3), I still felt it was a quality system that dared to be different - although it's software lineup was plagued with shovelware and lacked HD tv support.

NatureKeeper

1080p? About time, Nintendo. Seriously, an emulator can play your Wii games in HD, but the console can't? -.-

On topic: I won't be getting it for a variety of reasons, but mainly because of Nintendo's move to digital distribution. I live in rural Ontario with 0.50MBps Internet that's getting slower by the day, how am I supposed to get any games? :(

All games are also in CD form. No worries.

Years
I'm kinda disappointed in the slightly lacking set of launch titles myself. The only title that really grabs my attention is ZombiU.

It made me laugh they went on about ZombiU being for the Wii U, then said it would be going on PS3 and 360.

I saw the Wii U at the weekend and it didn't set any burning desire to order one; just didn't get me excited for it. A lot of the people using it looked very confused, but can't base the consoles performance on people who had just been given the controller! XD

It doesn't seem they have learnt with the Wii that you NEED good release games or it is going to be a rough release. :/​

Zet

Years
I think Nintendo made the right choice to delay some first day release games. While you do have to wait a bit longer, you won't get bored of the Wii U too quickly that you have to wait ages for another game to be released.

NatureKeeper

It made me laugh they went on about ZombiU being for the Wii U, then said it would be going on PS3 and 360.

I saw the Wii U at the weekend and it didn't set any burning desire to order one; just didn't get me excited for it. A lot of the people using it looked very confused, but can't base the consoles performance on people who had just been given the controller! XD

It doesn't seem they have learnt with the Wii that you NEED good release games or it is going to be a rough release. :/​

They retracted that and ZombiU will only be on Wii U because it is the only system with the touchscreen on a controller "ready".

But I do think the Wii U has some good titles. The library is already better than the Wii's. Even Pachter acknowledged that the library of games is wonderful. It just needs more exclusives. Bayonetta 2 was a good step, but they need more.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Eh, it's not that weak a start imo. ZombiU will do very well imo, and stuff like Mario is better than say what the 3ds got as well. And releases soon after too like Pikmin 3 for at least some countries. So I don't agree with statements like they haven't learnt or whatnot; it's not booming with lots of new releases that won't suck, but there's stuff there, and stuff coming soon after.

rndm.

Mostly inactive D:
Years
So far, not impressed. I could have bought it to play some third party titles (AC3, Black Ops 2, Mass Effect), buuuuut i just bought a really cheap PS3 w/ps2 emulation. So until they announce the first party titles I'm looking for (Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros....) I will not be interested. The first party titles are the only reason I have my original Wii, and they are by far better than any other games imo.

Back