The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Fan Clubs & Groups
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #76    
Old November 9th, 2012 (05:08 PM).
LilJz's Avatar
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Aero bars are from Europe, and since we are linked to the queen of England, we get some of Europe's goodies also
__________________
♥Plusle bro of Autumn Reverie♥ | ♥Pink Mommy, Autumn Reverie, Kanzler, Macarous & Apollo♥
|3DS FC|
Reply With Quote
  #77    
Old November 9th, 2012 (07:44 PM).
Clacla's Avatar
Clacla
karp karp karp
Community Supporter Tier 5
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Username: Clacla
Relation to Canada: I've lived here my whole life xD (I've lived in Brampton, Hamilton, Brantford, etc)
Favorite Province: Ontario
Reason for Joining (optional): So that I can spend extra time with my penguin
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #78    
Old November 10th, 2012 (09:49 PM).
Frostweaver's Avatar
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
It's the same thing how US borders make a HUGE deal about Kinder Surprise. Really it's one thing that if an American is visiting Canada, make a visit to the nearby convenience store for a kindersurprise a "must do" =P It's such an important part of my childhood lol. I was so happy every time I get a kinder surprise, not necessarily for the toy but it's genuinely a great taste!
Reply With Quote
  #79    
Old November 11th, 2012 (02:57 AM).
SS01's Avatar
SS01
#PoC Collab
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SS01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostweaver View Post
It's the same thing how US borders make a HUGE deal about Kinder Surprise. Really it's one thing that if an American is visiting Canada, make a visit to the nearby convenience store for a kindersurprise a "must do" =P It's such an important part of my childhood lol. I was so happy every time I get a kinder surprise, not necessarily for the toy but it's genuinely a great taste!
You know kinder surprise is actually illegal in the states? Something about a choking hazard. And our smarties are so much better than the American ones. :P
Reply With Quote
  #80    
Old November 11th, 2012 (02:28 PM).
Frostweaver's Avatar
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Was that the reason? I thought that it's because it has "milk" in it (oh gee, what type of non-dark chocolate doesn't?) I only know that story and brought it up here because there's the story about the lady going to America with kindersurprise, and the border guardds held her up for hours and charged her 700 dollars for violation bringing "illegal and dangerous goods across the borders" or something.
Reply With Quote
  #81    
Old November 11th, 2012 (04:08 PM).
Team Fail's Avatar
Team Fail
See that, Aster?
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySearcher01 View Post
You know kinder surprise is actually illegal in the states? Something about a choking hazard. And our smarties are so much better than the American ones. :P
I never knew that. Let's hope Canada doesn't follow by example. Or else there goes my childhood.
__________________

You are challenged by Lorekeeper Zinnia!
Pairs | Twitter | Alt | Alt II | PHO
Reply With Quote
  #82    
Old November 11th, 2012 (04:52 PM).
Frostweaver's Avatar
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
I know right? ;_; a childhood without kindersurprise...

More "canadian" issue now that it's Rememberance day for us: there's some discussions lately that students can opt out of Rememberance day because it is "offensive." Parents can sign opt-out forms from Rememberance day related events in school. In this article, supposedly there's very little students who do this. One opted out of any/all patriotic events, while another cited religious reasons.

What do you think about this, fellow Canadians/Canada-lovers?
Reply With Quote
  #83    
Old November 12th, 2012 (09:22 PM).
Cherrim's Avatar
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Waterloo, ON
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySearcher01 View Post
You know kinder surprise is actually illegal in the states? Something about a choking hazard. And our smarties are so much better than the American ones. :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostweaver View Post
Was that the reason? I thought that it's because it has "milk" in it (oh gee, what type of non-dark chocolate doesn't?) I only know that story and brought it up here because there's the story about the lady going to America with kindersurprise, and the border guardds held her up for hours and charged her 700 dollars for violation bringing "illegal and dangerous goods across the borders" or something.
I believe Kinder Surprises are illegal in the US because it's illegal to include toys as an incentive to buy candy. This seems weird to me because (I think?) they're still allowed to include toys in cereal boxes but I guess it would make some sense if the law was specific to sweets and candies. Still a bit weird though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostweaver View Post
I know right? ;_; a childhood without kindersurprise...

More "canadian" issue now that it's Rememberance day for us: there's some discussions lately that students can opt out of Rememberance day because it is "offensive." Parents can sign opt-out forms from Rememberance day related events in school. In this article, supposedly there's very little students who do this. One opted out of any/all patriotic events, while another cited religious reasons.

What do you think about this, fellow Canadians/Canada-lovers?
That... seems really weird to me. :( How is it offensive at all? Even for people who aren't Canadian, it's a good reminder to stop and think about war and what it means. And hell, if you aren't Canadian you're still living here, making use of our schooling system, and being supported by the country those people fought hard to protect. I just can't think of a single reason it's offensive or why anyone would feel the need to opt out. I always really appreciated the ceremonies growing up.

I don't really understand the religious reason either. I can't think of a religion that would be against something like this. If anything, wouldn't most be okay with the idea of remembering and honouring those who fought and died to protect the greater good and peoples' rights? If the argument is that the Remembrance Day service is tied into a religious service... wtf are you doing at a religious school? @_@;
__________________

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Reply With Quote
  #84    
Old November 12th, 2012 (10:26 PM). Edited November 12th, 2012 by TRIFORCE89.
TRIFORCE89's Avatar
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Temple of Light
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Hey! I'm Canadian. I didn't know about this. I be joining

Username: TRIFORCE89
Relation to Canada: I was born here and I live here
Favorite Province: Ontario
Reason for Joining (optional): Because.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
I don't really understand the religious reason either. I can't think of a religion that would be against something like this. If anything, wouldn't most be okay with the idea of remembering and honouring those who fought and died to protect the greater good and peoples' rights? If the argument is that the Remembrance Day service is tied into a religious service... wtf are you doing at a religious school? @_@;
Apparently (or supposedly) some German and Muslim students (or more likely their parents) feel that its kinda blame-gamey somehow. No clue why it would be all of the sudden. Or why school's are accommodating that. If the parents have a problem for some reason, then keep them home that day. Ceremonies shouldn't be cancelled for other students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJz1234 View Post
Aero bars are from Europe, and since we are linked to the queen of England, we get some of Europe's goodies also :)
But not enough goodies. I love walking into British candy shops. So much rare stuff in there! Like walking into a time machine (apparently it used to all be readily available according to my parents), or Willy Wonka's chocolate factory


Hey Canadians! Check out today's Google Doodle :P
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #85    
Old November 13th, 2012 (12:00 AM).
Brendino's Avatar
Brendino
Strike that. Reverse it.
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Age: 22
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostweaver View Post
I know right? ;_; a childhood without kindersurprise...

More "canadian" issue now that it's Rememberance day for us: there's some discussions lately that students can opt out of Rememberance day because it is "offensive." Parents can sign opt-out forms from Rememberance day related events in school. In this article, supposedly there's very little students who do this. One opted out of any/all patriotic events, while another cited religious reasons.

What do you think about this, fellow Canadians/Canada-lovers?
This comes off as awful strange to me. Even though there are quite a few people that oppose war, you can't deny that it has happened, so we're just respecting those that fought for our freedom. We aren't celebrating their victories, but rather thanking them for giving up their lives so we can live ours in relative peace (whether you agree with the motivation of the wars or not).
__________________
"We are the music makers,
and we are the dreamers of the dreams."


Moderator of Pokémon General
Reply With Quote
  #86    
Old November 13th, 2012 (12:08 AM).
Frostweaver's Avatar
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
I don't know... the Rememberance day thing is one time where I hope Canadians will honestly stand up more and draw a line somewhere between accommodating other beliefs and stand for a well recognized Canadian value... even if say someone's offended because they believe in complete pacificism, which is perfectly fine, it's still a great day to reflect and promote the atrocity of war for all.
Reply With Quote
  #87    
Old November 13th, 2012 (06:35 AM).
TRIFORCE89's Avatar
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Temple of Light
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Those that we remember and reflect upon fought wars so that some may choose not to honour them. Which is fine. I know at least one school actually cut down their annual ceremony to accommodate that small number though. And that isn't fair to everyone else.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #88    
Old November 13th, 2012 (10:05 AM).
Frostweaver's Avatar
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Sometimes sadly it's the vocal minority that rules, and not so much the majority...
Reply With Quote
  #89    
Old November 15th, 2012 (11:58 AM). Edited November 17th, 2012 by Cosmotone8.
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
I was so happy to see this club alive and doing well still, lol. I was worried it'd get locked up due to an inactive owner, but obviously not, thankfully. ;-_-
On the Rememberence Day topic, I don't see any excuse other than a religious reason (I.e. Jehovah's Witess, etc.) Why wouldn't you want to honor the dead? It's more offensive if you don't honor them, IMO. Almost as if you're taking there sacrifice forgranted, and they fought in vain to keep the country free. At least that's what I think.
__________________
I'm a silhouette, asking every now and then
Is it over yet? Will I ever feel again?
I'm a silhouette, chasing rainbows on my own
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

Reply With Quote
  #90    
Old November 16th, 2012 (07:57 AM).
Frostweaver's Avatar
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
I don't even know if any religious reasons suffice, and I'm religious myself (though not Jehovah's Witness).

Time for a change of a more casual topic: remember all the hockey chats we have and how we made the sports and all? Why is it that lacrosse is our official sport again...? I always thought that it's hockey ~_~;;

and sadly West Edmonton Mall is now officially the 5th largest mall only ;~; a pity, even if it's a boring mall for guys.
Reply With Quote
  #91    
Old November 16th, 2012 (08:23 AM).
LilJz's Avatar
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Here in Montreal, hockey is still a BIG part of people here. I remember in 2008, Montreal Canadien got eliminated from the Stanley Cup tourney, and we had a riot because so much people were so upset.
*We had to pay for the damage tho, 14.5% taxes don't go to waste here lol*
__________________
♥Plusle bro of Autumn Reverie♥ | ♥Pink Mommy, Autumn Reverie, Kanzler, Macarous & Apollo♥
|3DS FC|
Reply With Quote
  #92    
Old November 17th, 2012 (10:48 AM).
Team Fail's Avatar
Team Fail
See that, Aster?
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJz1234 View Post
Here in Montreal, hockey is still a BIG part of people here. I remember in 2008, Montreal Canadien got eliminated from the Stanley Cup tourney, and we had a riot because so much people were so upset.
*We had to pay for the damage tho, 14.5% taxes don't go to waste here lol*
I still vividly remember the Vancouver riots. Those were nasty. Same with Edmonton.
__________________

You are challenged by Lorekeeper Zinnia!
Pairs | Twitter | Alt | Alt II | PHO
Reply With Quote
  #93    
Old November 17th, 2012 (04:44 PM).
Frostweaver's Avatar
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Still have no idea what's with the Vancouver riots... I swear people just wanted a random excuse to riot and cause chaos, and it just so happens to be sports this time even in Canada ._.; thank goodness that those come by very rarely.
Reply With Quote
  #94    
Old November 17th, 2012 (11:17 PM).
Brendino's Avatar
Brendino
Strike that. Reverse it.
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Age: 22
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostweaver View Post
Still have no idea what's with the Vancouver riots... I swear people just wanted a random excuse to riot and cause chaos, and it just so happens to be sports this time even in Canada ._.; thank goodness that those come by very rarely.
It was tough watching what was happening on TV knowing that it was only about 20 minutes away, because that's basically all it was- an excuse to destroy things and hopefully not get caught. I think there was something ridiculous like a quarter million people downtown watching the game, and by the time it was obvious that the Canucks were going to lose, a small handful of people started going crazy by breaking shop windows, setting cars on fire, etc. Granted, there were those people that stuck around while all this happened that helped contribute to everything, but realistically it was only about a few hundred people that really caused any destruction (most of whom would have done the same thing- win or lose). Looks like we won't have to worry about any riots this year with the way the lockout's going, though. :\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostweaver View Post
Time for a change of a more casual topic: remember all the hockey chats we have and how we made the sports and all? Why is it that lacrosse is our official sport again...? I always thought that it's hockey ;;
Lacrosse is Canada's Summer sport, and Hockey is our official Winter Sport. Lacrosse was invented hundreds of years ago (by the Canadian Iroquois, I believe), and I think it mostly serves as a tribute to the history of the sport within the country.
__________________
"We are the music makers,
and we are the dreamers of the dreams."


Moderator of Pokémon General
Reply With Quote
  #95    
Old November 18th, 2012 (06:30 AM).
Pvt Tamama's Avatar
Pvt Tamama
Chii!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Username: Pvt Tamama
Relation to Canada: i live in Saskatoon
Favorite Province: Saskatchewan
Reason for Joining (optional):I live in canada i guess ha
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #96    
Old November 18th, 2012 (07:28 PM).
Frostweaver's Avatar
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Time for our new member to verify the myth:

Can you really see someone who stands like 10 km away because it's that flat over there? :D :D :D
Reply With Quote
  #97    
Old November 18th, 2012 (07:43 PM).
LilJz's Avatar
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Everytime I hear Saskatoon or Saskatchewan, all I ever think about now is this haha

__________________
♥Plusle bro of Autumn Reverie♥ | ♥Pink Mommy, Autumn Reverie, Kanzler, Macarous & Apollo♥
|3DS FC|
Reply With Quote
  #98    
Old November 19th, 2012 (10:11 AM).
Pvt Tamama's Avatar
Pvt Tamama
Chii!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostweaver View Post
Time for our new member to verify the myth:

Can you really see someone who stands like 10 km away because it's that flat over there? :D :D :D
no that's not true because of snow or other variables
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #99    
Old November 21st, 2012 (08:54 PM).
Cherrim's Avatar
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Waterloo, ON
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Nature: Relaxed
iirc the drive from Saskatoon to Regina is actually pretty hilly! Generally it's super flat. You can't see someone 10km away because there's too much wheat in the way though. ;P (Or at least, you wouldn't be able to see me from far away because I'm too short to be seen over crops of any kind lmao.)

I think Saskatchewan has a ski hill though! But don't quote me on it. And don't be surprised if it's just a bunny hill. :P
__________________

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Reply With Quote
  #100    
Old November 21st, 2012 (10:14 PM).
TRIFORCE89's Avatar
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Temple of Light
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
iirc the drive from Saskatoon to Regina is actually pretty hilly! Generally it's super flat. You can't see someone 10km away because there's too much wheat in the way though. ;P (Or at least, you wouldn't be able to see me from far away because I'm too short to be seen over crops of any kind lmao.)

I think Saskatchewan has a ski hill though! But don't quote me on it. And don't be surprised if it's just a bunny hill. :P
...is there anywhere without wheat that you can stand? XD
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 10:58 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.