The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 30th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Nate VonGrimm
Mime Jr.

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanethane98 View Post
Hey everybody, I've been working on a new hack for awhile now, and it's beginning to see some progress being made. I'm thinking of putting it up in the Progressing Hacks section soon, but I'm not quite sure when at the moment. So I'm wondering, when would you consider it a good point in development to put up a hack for others to see?
I say it depends on how many scripts you have in each town + on each route.
If you are using a lot of scripts in each town and each route, then put up the first beta when you have got to the second town and update it from there.
If you don't use a lot of scripts, then stick a beta up when you've done the third town and release an update for every town completed (Unless bug fixes are required)

Old October 30th, 2012, 05:37 PM
thanethane98
Self Proclaimed Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate VonGrimm View Post
I say it depends on how many scripts you have in each town + on each route.
If you are using a lot of scripts in each town and each route, then put up the first beta when you have got to the second town and update it from there.
If you don't use a lot of scripts, then stick a beta up when you've done the third town and release an update for every town completed (Unless bug fixes are required)
Thanks. Now that you mention it, I think I'm going to go back and add some more scripts into what I have so far. I have a feeling that it will make my hack a lot better.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 01:59 PM
Abblesauce22
Unhatched Egg

Hi, I'm new here, and I'm a bit intimidated by all the things that have to be done in order to make a rom hack. Does anyone have some good pointers, advice or things to avoid?
Old November 3rd, 2012, 02:16 PM
Nate VonGrimm
Mime Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abblesauce22 View Post
Hi, I'm new here, and I'm a bit intimidated by all the things that have to be done in order to make a rom hack. Does anyone have some good pointers, advice or things to avoid?
Best advice anyone could give you is find a tutorial and go for it.
PokeHacking is very simple once you've learnt the basics.

Old November 5th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Truality
Left for good

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Truality Send a message via Skype™ to Truality
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manipulation View Post
I thought I'd bring this thread back from the depths and discuss a project of mine that I've decided to rekindle. Since early 2010 I've had a folder on my laptop dutifully named 'Pokémon Orange: Adventures in the Orange Islands' (a mouthful, I know). I'm sure you can all guess what is inside the folder; either way the answer is a barely edited BPRE ROM with a .docx file scattered with ideas for the hack. I always felt aggrieved that we were never given an official Pokémon game in the Orange Islands, I do give props to sergio for his valiant efforts creating Naranja though. However, Naranja really isn't my idea of an 'official Pokémon game' as it's based on the events that happen in the anime. In my eyes the anime is based upon events that happen in the 'official Pokémon games' (with the obvious exception of Pokémon Yellow). So, it's been one of my long-term, and now realistic, ambitions to create an un-official Pokémon game for the Orange Islands. I hope you're all still following what my idea is at this point in time, I'm glad if you are but if you're not here are some bullet points to sum up what I wish to do/create:
  • do what GameFreak should have done prior to the Orange Islands anime and create an official game for it
  • use the original 251 Pokémon that were available at time of release
  • transfer any relevant events from the anime (gym leaders, Pokémon league etc.) into the game and scrap any ideas that would not make an official game (Ash's Lapras, the blimps, skill challenges in the gym etc.)
If you're still following me now I'd like to hear some ideas on the project in this thread and if you're willing to help me feel free to PM me or post in here as this will be an ambitious project.

(This game will be created on the BPRE system with mostly default tiles and scripting/mapping styles realistic of the 1st and 2nd generation games as I believe this is what GameFreak would have done if the game was officially created)
Okay, I think I just found the perfect excuse to come back to Pokerom hacking. Your idea and desire for such a game is indeed justified, and I support the cause. Although details about the Orange Islands arc are a bit blur in my memory, I really liked it all and will delve into it thoroughly, then PM you anything I might come up with.

The game length problem can be solved, I guess. One sidequest here, one urban disturbance there, and four gyms can still get to be canon, if the player covers them in twice the distance of the usual game. What I'm actually curious about is the main character; is it going to be a completely new pair of kids, or someone familiar? (though sticking to the Gamefreak quo crosses out the latter option)

Anyway, my point is I've been away from hacking for some time, and after my own hack took a slope down the drain multiple times I needed some new kind of motivation. Well, hello there, new kind.
Old November 9th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Abblesauce22
Unhatched Egg

While I'm still sorting out a lot of stuff, I have an idea I'd like to try. I don't know if I can do it, but here it goes:

Arceus, seeing the different ways humans have exploited pokemon and gone after his legendary kin, has decided the time has come to destroy the human race and start all over. However, Mew argues that for every bad human, there is a good one as well. That humanity needs a chance to prove themselves. Arceus decides to allow Mew the chance to chose a human she thinks is best.

This human is the player character. Here are my main goals for the hack:

1) To create a new region and bring in pokemon from all five generations. This would include a series of brand new characters.

2) Involve a series of challenges in addition to the gyms and elite - or maybe replace them all together.

3) Create a captivating and unique story line and game experience.

This will take quite a while to develop, and is still in it's barest stages... just sharing an idea here.
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Servine7
grass type lover

Nature: Jolly
hello, i'm snivy7 and i'm going to start on a long hack. It's about ash's journey in johto its going to follow anime im going to try the best i could but im looking for a team to help me. Is there any pointer ideas before i start? and its a hack of fire red wish me and my team good luck!
Old November 13th, 2012, 11:51 AM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
This is something I've wanted to do for a while but I never knew enough on how to implement it. I want to add walking with pokemon to an Advance gen game, like in HeartGold and SoulSilver. I know this would take a new ow table and some ASM coding most likely, but what I want to know is, can it be done? Even if it just started off simple like in Pokemon Yellow where your Pikachu never goes in its pokeball; just have it so your starter always walks with you. Any ideas would be great.

Paired with Simba
Old November 13th, 2012, 02:17 PM
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tajaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by snivy7 View Post
hello, i'm snivy7 and i'm going to start on a long hack. It's about ash's journey in johto its going to follow anime im going to try the best i could but im looking for a team to help me. Is there any pointer ideas before i start? and its a hack of fire red wish me and my team good luck!
Actually there's already a hack that follows Ash's Journey's in Johto. It is called Pokemon Johto Adventures maybe you heard of it. And if you are in need of a team, post in the Team Discussions forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
This is something I've wanted to do for a while but I never knew enough on how to implement it. I want to add walking with pokemon to an Advance gen game, like in HeartGold and SoulSilver. I know this would take a new ow table and some ASM coding most likely, but what I want to know is, can it be done? Even if it just started off simple like in Pokemon Yellow where your Pikachu never goes in its pokeball; just have it so your starter always walks with you. Any ideas would be great.
It is possible. I'm pretty sure Jambo51 is working on it, and it would really be great to have a Pokemon walk with you.
Old November 13th, 2012, 02:20 PM
itman
Back to ROM hacking. :D

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
Last I checked, Jambo was working on a follow me routine, but he hasn't finished yet/released it to the public. It has not been discovered fully yet.

You can easily do scripts/routines to find out which pokemon you want to follow you...but the actual following part is what's hard.
Old November 14th, 2012, 01:17 PM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by tajaros
It is possible. I'm pretty sure Jambo51 is working on it, and it would really be great to have a Pokemon walk with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itman View Post
Last I checked, Jambo was working on a follow me routine, but he hasn't finished yet/released it to the public. It has not been discovered fully yet.

You can easily do scripts/routines to find out which pokemon you want to follow you...but the actual following part is what's hard.
Thanks, I found the thread. I guess I wasn't using the right keywords. XD His script for right now deals more with people following you but its the same concept.
Old November 14th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I thought I'd ask here, but I seem to be hacking more obscure file formats than people here tend to use. Since Pokémon Battle Revolution is on the Wii, perhaps a few people here might be into hacking it, so I want to ask: Would anyone want a Wii custom music tutorial?

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old November 14th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
I thought I'd ask here, but I seem to be hacking more obscure file formats than people here tend to use. Since Pokémon Battle Revolution is on the Wii, perhaps a few people here might be into hacking it, so I want to ask: Would anyone want a Wii custom music tutorial?
I'm pretty sure Wii BRSTMs are not any different from STRM files on the Nintendo DS, so if you use the correct program for converting .wav files into BRSTMs... then of course, it would be done successfully. I'm not really experienced with Revolution hacking, but I am experienced with Nitro hacking. If I become experienced at hacking Wii ISOs, then surely I would indeed be making a guide on hacking them, but probably first I'd be aiming at the ones on the GameCube such as Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness. 'Cause GameCube games haven't really gotten any attention with any hacking teams as of yet.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old November 14th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Flame999

I'm trying to Hack Pokemon Black & white and I have no idea how to change the names of the trainers since I want to change Ace trainer Shaun to Stephen also I want to Change Cheren to Jeff and Bianca to Chelsea so it would be awesome if someone knows how. Thanks if you can help
Old November 15th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Team Fail
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokémonShinySilver View Post
I'm pretty sure Wii BRSTMs are not any different from STRM files on the Nintendo DS, so if you use the correct program for converting .wav files into BRSTMs... then of course, it would be done successfully. I'm not really experienced with Revolution hacking, but I am experienced with Nitro hacking. If I become experienced at hacking Wii ISOs, then surely I would indeed be making a guide on hacking them, but probably first I'd be aiming at the ones on the GameCube such as Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness. 'Cause GameCube games haven't really gotten any attention with any hacking teams as of yet.
Well, there's BRSTM looping as well, although I've figured out a good way to get it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame999 View Post
I'm trying to Hack Pokemon Black & white and I have no idea how to change the names of the trainers since I want to change Ace trainer Shaun to Stephen also I want to Change Cheren to Jeff and Bianca to Chelsea so it would be awesome if someone knows how. Thanks if you can help
I believe there's a text editing ptogram, PPTXT or something like that, that will allow you to edit text/names. Check Project Pokemon, I think it originated there.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online

[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old November 18th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Abblesauce22
Unhatched Egg

I'm a bit lost on how to emulate/hack DS roms. I've seen tutorials, but I've been confused so far.
Old November 19th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Team Fail
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abblesauce22 View Post
I'm a bit lost on how to emulate/hack DS roms. I've seen tutorials, but I've been confused so far.
Hacking them hasn't come too far as of yet, but with the advancements made in the past year, more and more hacks will start to be released on the DS. And eventually, more and more programs will be made to make hacking of them easier.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online

Old November 19th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Sudeki
Can you feel it?

Nature: Gentle
This is just an issue I've been hoping to find a way around, is there any current known way to remove/replace the professor Oak introduction to the game on new saves. I'm talking about for Fire Red. Or is that sort of thing just out of the question?
Old November 25th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Luxchomp
Unhatched Egg

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, but I've been trying to find the answer to this question and this thread seemed to be the best place to ask it.

How do I change the HP bars in Pokemon Fire Red Version? I'm currently working on a ROM hack and I want to make the battles look cool. XP
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Renegade
Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxchomp View Post
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, but I've been trying to find the answer to this question and this thread seemed to be the best place to ask it.

How do I change the HP bars in Pokemon Fire Red Version? I'm currently working on a ROM hack and I want to make the battles look cool. XP
This question belongs in the Simple Questions thread:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=79614
Old November 30th, 2012, 07:29 AM
iLoveHate
Hmmmmmm.... :D

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to iLoveHate
Okej all, uuh well i think i have to post this question here.
Ive seen a lot of rom-bases, but can some1 say or give me a link in PM a base with the best tiles what you think it is. Cuz i like scripting a lot and i really don't like tile-inserting but i would start my own hack with some decent tiles . I prefer D/P or HG/SS
Old December 2nd, 2012, 08:16 PM
sab
Now too much of a life.

Nature: Timid
Since this is about romhacking discussion, I think it might be worth noting that WaH is offline. The forums are still online, and the old site points to romhack.me, but does anyone here know why they went offline? It seemed fairly stable as sites go.
Old December 4th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Team Fail
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sab View Post
Since this is about romhacking discussion, I think it might be worth noting that WaH is offline. The forums are still online, and the old site points to romhack.me, but does anyone here know why they went offline? It seemed fairly stable as sites go.
Their forums are having a few issues, so they've agreed to have a temporary redirect for now until it is all fixed up.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online

Old December 4th, 2012, 08:35 PM
dudebot
Glowing Yellow

Send a message via Skype™ to dudebot
Well, just started hacking a few days ago.

Found out that I'm a pro with tiles. And minor sprite work. Even a master of storylines.

Not so much with scripting, though. Not even slightly getting it down. Major drag. It's the bread and butter of hacking, lol.
Old December 5th, 2012, 01:11 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudebot View Post
Well, just started hacking a few days ago.

Found out that I'm a pro with tiles. And minor sprite work. Even a master of storylines.

Not so much with scripting, though. Not even slightly getting it down. Major drag. It's the bread and butter of hacking, lol.
If you can work with tiles, then you will surely be asked by some teams to join them =D
Tilers are pretty rare breed =)

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here